Most "Infamous" Moment in WWE History?

OYDK

King Of The Ring
Easy question, in your opinion what was the most infamous segment or moment in WWE history. It could be a personal pick, having to do with something you yourself found difficult to sit through, it could be a moment where wrestler broke kayfabe, or it could be a moment in which it's widely recognized that WWE crossed the line.

Personally, I don't find many things disturbing in pro-wrestling but the two segments involving Vince and Trish in early 2001 definitely crossed some sort of line. The first segment, which saw Trish get slopped, assaulted, and humiliated by Vince, Steph, and Regal seemed to go on forever. Steph kept shoving her face in the slop while Vince continuously degraded Trish for about 10 minutes. After of course Regal attacked her. The second one, which is probably more known is the "dog segment" that was aired the next week, in which Vince forced Trish to strip down to her bra and panties, crawl on all fours, and bark like a dog to "apologize" for making Vince mad. These segments were so degrading to not only Trish, but all women around the world, and really made WWE look like a trailer trash company. There's entertainment, and than there's going too far. In fact that whole program, including the drugging of Linda, was cringe-worthy in my opinion.

How about y'all?

WWE.com ran a story before Survivor Series 2008 that said Jeff Hardy was found unconscious in the hotel he was staying at.

I've let a lot of shit go over the years and don't take wrestling too seriously anymore. But I don't think I'll ever get over how tasteless that was.

I'm going to have to say it was when Owen Hart died in the middle of a PPV, and they continued on with the show. A close second would be when one of their performers murdered their entire family, and they aired a tribute show to him immediately before it was discovered that he was the murderer.

I'm going to have to say it was when Owen Hart died in the middle of a PPV, and they continued on with the show. A close second would be when one of their performers murdered their entire family, and they aired a tribute show to him immediately before it was discovered that he was the murderer.

How is that tasteless exactly? They paid respect to someone that was a great performer in the company and then once it was discovered he was the murderer they scrubbed his name.

As for my infamous moment it would be Katie Vick

I'm going to have to say it was when Owen Hart died in the middle of a PPV, and they continued on with the show.

It's not that he died, but that the show went on. I don't even think the Benoit-thing is that close a second.

Continuing the show after Owen died will always be no.1. Even though there's the issue of PPV refunds to deal with, one of the performers DIED infront of the audience that night, absolutely no way should the show have continued.

Good shout on the Stratus thing too, that was appalling. It definitely feels awkward watching that

Katie Vick

Mae Young giving birth to a hand or anything involving Mae Young

Segments between Vince and Trish when Trish barked like a dog

Owen Hart dying in the middle of a PPV and WWF continuing the show

Santina Marella

There's a few others I'm forgetting

There are a few, and I agree with most of the ones already posted, but the main ones that spring to mind?

Big Show's Fathers Funeral.

and...

Tim White's "suicides".

I'll have to go with Owen Hart dying in the ring at the PPV, and the show continuing on. Just hard to believe that they would continue on with a PPV, when a man has just died in the ring. We had to go out that night and didn't watch it, but shit, can't imagine being in the crowd there after something like that happens.

Might be one of the main reason's Martha Hart is so pissed off after all this time.

[YOUTUBE]vSwCvrUitYM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]tLzgC0NL11k[/YOUTUBE]

....................................*throws up*..................................

[YOUTUBE]2wMguHwP794[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah, this isn't really as tough a question. If it's strictly stuff that happened on WWE TV, then it's gotta be continuing the show after Owen Hart's death. If it's just WWE history, I'd say Benoit's murder/suicide.

Vince getting blown up or the Hassan terrorist stuff was in poor taste. The Brian Pillman gun situation and Val Venis/Kaientai penis chopping things also stand out considering they also pushed the envelope & moments I am not sure how they got past the network suits.

Yeah, this isn't really as tough a question.

Subjectivity is key. That should be clear based on the different responses. Personally? Yeah that decision by WWE to continue the show after Owen's death was infamous, to say the LEAST. Still, I appreciate the gravity of the situation. A man has just died in the ring, something that has never happened in the WWE up until that point. The decision to continue or stop the show was one that probably had to be made on a dime with many different factors considered, including what "Owen would have wanted"... at least that what Vince says.

Did WWE make the wrong decision? I say definitely, but I don't think there was any real intent there. The tribute show to Owen on Raw was basically what Over the Edge should have been. A time to stop everything and honor one of the most loved wrestlers of his age. Were they to never mention Owen or brush him aside, I would completely agree with you, but they did announce his death during the PPV. It wasn't hidden from the people at home, (although I think it was from the live audience).

Like I said, I appreciate the difficulty of this situation. I don't think anyone can really put themselves in Vince's shoes here and say without a doubt that they would have made a different decision. Something like the Trish segment or Big Boss Man murdering Al Snow's dog and feeding it to him, is just stupid shit that crossed the line and didn't have to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back