Mortal Kombat X

JGlass

Unregistered User
Anyone else playing this? I just bought it today, already beat the storyline (it's not super massive, only 12 chapters with 3 or 4 fights per chapter), and it was pretty solid. Not as good as the story mode in MK9, but still solid. I've been trying to do some of the Faction stuff, but it's not all that interesting. I'll probably start doing some of the tower stuff moving forward, but mostly I look forward to playing my friends and roommates in one on one.

Who are your favorite characters to use? So far I'm a big fan of Cassie Cage because she has a ton of pretty easy combos and once she corners her opponent she can really rack up the damage. I'm also digging Kenshi because his combos dish out some good damage and his telekentic abilities are helpful and easy to use. And of course I enjoy using one of my all time favorites, Kung Lao. I think they nerfed his hat moves a bit, but his teleport move is still deadly.

The character I've had the most trouble fighting so far is Ermac, and I think I'd like to get better with him, because he seems to have a lot of great moves and ability to really stonewall his opponent.

I was a little skeptical about the new characters, but most of them are pretty cool. I really enjoy Kotal Khan's character and design, though he's kind of difficult to use as a fighter. Same can be said for his body guard, Erron Black. Why is a cowboy guarding an Aztek demi-god? Because Mortal Kombat.

Takeda is easily my favorite character to use in MKX. If you use the Ronin style, you got yourself Scorpion's spear and teleport abilities and then a fuck ton of combos you can dish out and when the distance is spread out Takeda's lashers can still dole out massive amounts of damage. (His fatalities are absolutely cringe-worthy in the best/worst way possible.)

Erron Black is a guilty pleasure, he's like a gay John Marston with a leather fetish. Gunslinger gives him some seriously fun long range attacks. I really really want to like Kotal Kahn, but fuck his kombos are stupidly slow and his specials just plan suck. He reminds of Bane in "Injustice" in terms of game play.

Long range attacks infuriate me when I'm playing my friends. I was absolutely wrecking my friend who insisted on playing as Jaqui Briggs despite the fact I was trouncing him round after round. Finally he got fed up and just started spamming her long range attack and I could do nothing but block as the chip damage just started to add up. I guess if I was Kung Lao or Raiden I could have teleported out of it, but I was playing as Johnny Cage. He would do the same shit with Deathstroke in Injustice.

Any tips on how to beat the long range spammers?

Time the attacks and block right before he fires a blast at you. If he tries to back flip out hit him with a dash kick or any of other Johnny's moves that close the distance. You'll get him backed into a corner in time.

Bought it today, it's installed on my PC at home waiting for an opportunity this weekend to play it.

I kind of suck at it. I can beat the computer on medium difficulty with regularity, but when I go online I look like an infant fighting prime Tyson.

Liu Kang is a go to guy for me, easy special attacks with a good mix of range and close ups. Above all Sub-Zero is still my ***** though. His iceball takes too long to hit this go round, but he has decent specials and combos. I think my biggest issue is that I refuse to stop playing as the people I grew up with.

The only real thing I dislike are that some of the old standouts like Liu Kang and Kung Lao are aging/technically bad guys now. It makes me feel old.

aArX5pE_700b.jpg

I kind of suck at it. I can beat the computer on medium difficulty with regularity, but when I go online I look like an infant fighting prime Tyson.

Liu Kang is a go to guy for me, easy special attacks with a good mix of range and close ups. Above all Sub-Zero is still my ***** though. His iceball takes too long to hit this go round, but he has decent specials and combos. I think my biggest issue is that I refuse to stop playing as the people I grew up with.

The only real thing I dislike are that some of the old standouts like Liu Kang and Kung Lao are aging/technically bad guys now. It makes me feel old.

That's why I was so hesitant about accepting these new characters. MK has such a huge roster of characters that they did shit all with in their previous timeline, and with the new direction they've been going with the story, I thought it would be pretty cool to see them brought back. Guys like Fujin, Bo Rai Cho, and Rain would have all been bad ass to have in the game, but instead they introduce Sonya Cage Jr., Jax Jr., Kung Lao Jr., Kenshi Jr., and a bunch of weird Outworld dudes. And on top of that, they cut out guys they had in the last game like Baraka, Cyrax and Sektor, and several others.

That said, a lot of the new characters are pretty fun to play with, and some of them are actually pretty fucking cool. Plus I have a feeling that they'll release a ton of those missing characters through DLC... which is kind of bullshit because it costs $30 for the season pass, but whatever.

That scene always bothered me. Sub-Zero is never a final boss in any Mortal Kombat game. I will admit the joke works better with that character, though.

That scene always bothered me. Sub-Zero is never a final boss in any Mortal Kombat game. I will admit the joke works better with that character, though.

The way I always inferred the joke was that nobody could beat Sub-Zero when they're going through the tower on their way to Goro or Shao-Khan or whatever.

I thought the joke was that Hal only thinks it's the boss as that's as far as he's ever gotten in the game. But I could certainly be wrong.

I've had more success fighting my ranged move spamming roommate today. I used Kung Lao to counter his Kung Ji to great success. Whenever he'd shoot an arrow I'd use the teleport and tried to use a teleport attack. He usually blocked the attack, but it put me in range to do some more close quarter combat, which I am far superior at. He also likes to use Jax and spam his ranged move and ground pound, but with that I'm usually able to time it and get in close with Cassie Cage, who again, is bad ass.

His problem is he doesn't like doing combos, he really just likes using the special attacks. He has done this to some great success in Injustice, but Mortal Kombat seems to put more of an emphasis on the combos, and also having a dedicated block button helps you close the gaps that special moves often create.

Sooo hopping on that Kung Ji issue, I appear to be extremely good with him, which I was not expecting. I don't throw nothing but arrows, as he's got a ton of speed and range with the bow as his melee weapon, but the arrow shots can be used quite nicely to stymie a charging opponent or even close range and open up for some very quick combos.

Sooo hopping on that Kung Ji issue, I appear to be extremely good with him, which I was not expecting. I don't throw nothing but arrows, as he's got a ton of speed and range with the bow as his melee weapon, but the arrow shots can be used quite nicely to stymie a charging opponent or even close range and open up for some very quick combos.

In doing a little research on how to beat an opponent that spams long range attacks, I've discovered that the technique you're describing is called, "zoning." There's nothing wrong with using an attack to knock away an opponent that is getting too close for comfort and thus letting you control the spacing, but when that's ALL someone uses, it becomes quite annoying.

I think most of the special attacks are more about controlling position or countering rather than dealing damage, though damage can be part of it too certainly.

Kung Jin has some solid moves with his staff, very strong and fluid. All four of the 2nd generation kombatants they introduced in this game are really solid I think.

In doing a little research on how to beat an opponent that spams long range attacks, I've discovered that the technique you're describing is called, "zoning." There's nothing wrong with using an attack to knock away an opponent that is getting too close for comfort and thus letting you control the spacing, but when that's ALL someone uses, it becomes quite annoying.

I think most of the special attacks are more about controlling position or countering rather than dealing damage, though damage can be part of it too certainly.

Kung Jin has some solid moves with his staff, very strong and fluid. All four of the 2nd generation kombatants they introduced in this game are really solid I think.

Mortal Kombat is not my bread and butter for fighting games. I'm still a Soul Calibur fighter through and through. Unfortunately it's rock, paper, scissors type flow really fucks me up when I go to other fighting games. Especially since my specialty is an all out assault where my opponent doesn't have time to block when I attack from all angles with Taki. There's no spacing to worry about, just upper, middle, and lower along with side stepping. So with a 3D positioning to worry about, going to something on a 2D plane takes some adjustment on my end.

So Pancake and I were playing some online and we keep running into these assholes who play as Scorpion and spam the same attack over and over. They summon a demon to grab you in place, which is unblockable, and then spear you followed by teleport punches. It is something that seriously needs to be nerfed.

I love Cassie. Her fatalities are so bad that they're good. Definitely my favourite new character. Also, I think Ferra/Torr have some major, major potential in the series.

Jax's cigar fatality is probably my favourite new one. Simply because it's so fuckin' unexpected that you're both laughing at and shocked by it.

The obscure characters that they picked to be in the game was... Bizarre. I was expecting Reiko, because he's generally seen as the character with the most untapped potentialy, but... Fuckin' Tanya? The fuck?

Either way, a very solid addition to the series. I hope they really go all-out for the Mortal Kombat 11 story, since they've spent two games setting it up. I want Game of Thrones-level pay off.

So Pancake and I were playing some online and we keep running into these assholes who play as Scorpion and spam the same attack over and over. They summon a demon to grab you in place, which is unblockable, and then spear you followed by teleport punches. It is something that seriously needs to be nerfed.

I was watching some dudes playing it on Twitch the other day, and I decided I'm never going to play online. Some of these dudes are not fucking kidding around.

Also, I think Ferra/Torr have some major, major potential in the series.

I hope more is revealed about Erron Black and Ferra/Torr, as they didn't really explain anything about them other than that they're in Kotal Khan's posse. Seems like they could use some fleshing out.

Jax's cigar fatality is probably my favourite new one. Simply because it's so fuckin' unexpected that you're both laughing at and shocked by it.

I feel like that one personifies the entire concept of fatalities. That one or Kenshi's spinning blade that chops the opponent up into millions of tiny pieces.

Either way, a very solid addition to the series. I hope they really go all-out for the Mortal Kombat 11 story, since they've spent two games setting it up. I want Game of Thrones-level pay off.

What's interesting is that they pretty much recreated the plot shot for shot with MK2011, except for all the characters that died and came back as thralls of Quan Chi (and the fact that Quan Chi was involved at all). In MKX they kind of recreated MK4, but still with lots of differences. Given the events of MKX
namely Quan Chi being dead and Scorpion being brought back to life
, it seems unlikely that they'll do a Deadly Alliance recreation and might splinter off in an entirely new direction, which is really exciting.

I hope more is revealed about Erron Black and Ferra/Torr, as they didn't really explain anything about them other than that they're in Kotal Khan's posse. Seems like they could use some fleshing out.

Yeah, the new bad guys didn't get enough story time. But I love the idea of a crazy little girl controlling a huge monster. I really want to know the story of how they came together.

What's interesting is that they pretty much recreated the plot shot for shot with MK2011, except for all the characters that died and came back as thralls of Quan Chi (and the fact that Quan Chi was involved at all). In MKX they kind of recreated MK4, but still with lots of differences. Given the events of MKX
namely Quan Chi being dead and Scorpion being brought back to life
, it seems unlikely that they'll do a Deadly Alliance recreation and might splinter off in an entirely new direction, which is really exciting.

I don't think they'll redo Deadly Alliance. What I think will happen, based off the post-credits scene is that
Dark Raiden, Liu Kang and Kitana go on the war path, conquering Outworld, then the others. Some classic antagonist returns and teams up with the Special Forces to stop it.
I know I'd definitely be happy to see Cassie Cage as the protagonist again.

Yeah, the new bad guys didn't get enough story time. But I love the idea of a crazy little girl controlling a huge monster. I really want to know the story of how they came together.

If you do the traditional tower with them you get to see their ending which explains that they are from the same race, and the youngsters are riders and the older ones are mounts. When Ferra gets older she'll become a big brute like Torr, and a younger member of their race will become her rider.

I don't think they'll redo Deadly Alliance. What I think will happen, based off the post-credits scene is that
Dark Raiden, Liu Kang and Kitana go on the war path, conquering Outworld, then the others. Some classic antagonist returns and teams up with the Special Forces to stop it.
I know I'd definitely be happy to see Cassie Cage as the protagonist again.

Dark Raiden will definitely be back with the intention of conquering the other realms, but I don't know what will become of the Revenants that Quan Chi left behind when he died. Maybe Raiden will find a way to use them for his own plans, but I would imagine one of the plot points may be the Special Forces/Lin Kuei/Shirai Ryu fighting for control of them.

You guys might enjoy this - it's the most aggressive marketing I've experienced in a while. There I was, going for a... "stroll"... in my local mall, when suddenly...
CDp1kDZVAAEQ3h0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back