And the MMA Card of the Year is...

• WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber

• UFC 115: Liddell vs. Franklin

• Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Werdum

• UFC 116: Lesnar vs. Carwin

• UFC 117: Silva vs. Sonnen

• WEC 51: Aldo vs. Gamburyan

• UFC 121: Lesnar vs. Velasquez

• Strikeforce: St. Louis (Henderson vs. Babalu)

• UFC 124: St. Pierre vs. Koscheck II

• WEC 53: Henderson vs. Pettis

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
It was a really good year for MMA. Right now, we're getting two UFC cards a month, as well as shows from other promotions, like Strikeforce, DREAM, and Bellator. What, in your opinion, was the MMA Card of the year?

The Nominees...

1.) WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber

The free prelims on Spike gave us the awesome Leonard Garcia vs. Chan Sung Jung fight. Each fight on the main card was very entertaining. Mike Brown got brutally knocked out by Manny Gamburyan. Ben Henderson made quick work of Donald Cerrone, successfully defending the WEC Lightweight Title, and Jose Aldo destroyed Urijah Faber's legs, going into his hometown and successfully defending the WEC Featherweight Title.

2.) UFC 115: Liddell vs. Franklin

Nobody expected much of anything out of this card, and it certainly had its moments. A prospect to keep an eye on was born, when Evan Dunham defeated Tyson Griffin. Carlos Condit had a great come from behind victory against the highly touted prospect Rory MacDonald. Gilbert Yvel vs. Ben Rothwell had its moments, and Cro Cop vs. Barry was a very fun fight. The main event between Chuck Liddell and Rich Franklin saw Chuck showing signs of life and in vintage form, even breaking Rich Franklin's arm, before getting KO'ed.

3.) Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Werdum

Cyborg Santos destroyed the one woman who had the balls to actually fight her. Cung Le avenged his loss to Scott Smith. Oh yeah, and Fabricio Werdum killed the mystique of Fedor Emelianenko in 69 seconds.

4.) UFC 116: Lesnar vs. Carwin

Just a very fun card. A flash in the pan was born when Gerald Harris slammed Dave Branch. Ricardo Romero and Seth Petruzelli had a great fight on the Spike prelims, and Brendan Schaub knocked out Brock Lesnar's clone in 67 seconds. On the main card, George Sotiropoulos continued his rise to the top, and Stephan Bonnar got a much needed win, avenging his loss to Krysztof Soszynski. Chris Leben fought his second fight in two weeks in a fight where many thought he'd be nothing more than a sacrificial lamb to Yoshihiro Akiyama. They had a Fight of the Year candidate and Leben won in a way anyone would least expect him to win by. Then came the main event where Shane Carwin was on the brink of becoming UFC Champion, but he tired himself out and Brock Lesnar pulled out a huge comeback.

5.) UFC 117: Silva vs. Sonnen

Junior Dos Santos earned a title shot by battering Roy Nelson for 15 minutes. Matt Hughes killed a Gracie protegee with what was a major Submission of the Year Candidate. Clay Guida put a beating on Rafael Dos Anjos, and Stefan Struve demonstrated his heart with a major come from behind win over Christian Morecraft. Jon Fitch proved he is the #2 Welterweight in the world with his outright domination of Thiago Alves. Finally, Chael Sonnen backed up months of trash talk, taking it to Anderson Silva, before getting caught with a submission late in the 5th round.

6.) WEC 51: Aldo vs. Gamburyan

In another fun WEC card, Mark Hominick took a fun split decision against Leonard Garcia. George Roop killed The Korean Zombie with a head kick KO, and Miguel Torres showed that he's not done yet. In a battle of complete douchebags, Donald Cerrone and Jamie Varner had a fun back and forth fight, and Jose Aldo made quick work of Manny Gamburyan.

7.) UFC 121: Lesnar vs. Velasquez

Brandon Schaub entered the fray in the Heavyweight Division with a win over Gabriel Gonzaga. Matt Hamill took out his former TUF Coach, Tito Ortiz. Diego Sanchez made a statement in a big way, getting a much needed win over Paulo Thiago in what was one of the most fun fights of the year. Jake Shields took a controversial decision over Martin Kampmann, and Brock Lesnar lost the UFC Heavyweight Title to Cain Velasquez in what was an absolute beating.

8.) Strikeforce: St. Louis

In an event that should have been called Strikeforce: Snuff Film, Antonio Silva knocked out Mike Kyle. Then, Robbie Lawler nearly killed Matt Lindland, and Paul Daley nearly killed Scott Smith with some brutal knockouts. Then, Dan Henderson knocked out Babalu Sobral in the main event.

9.) UFC 124: St. Pierre vs. Koscheck II

Top to bottom, this card brought it. The first fight between Thiago Alves and John Howard was a fun standup war. Then, we had three first round stoppages. Mac Danzig saved his UFC career with a KO of Joe Stevenson. Jim Miller showed he is one of the best in the Lightweight Division, and he derailed the hype train of the overly cocky Charles Oliveira. Stefan Struve had another big comeback, this time against Sean McCorkle. And finally, GSP shut Josh Koscheck up, and jabbed his right eye to death.

10.) WEC 53: Henderson vs. Pettis

The last WEC card ever went out with a bang. Donald Cerrone submitted Chris Horodecki. Dominick Cruz showed why he was the best at 135, neutralizing any type of offense Scott Jorgensen had for him. And finally, Ben Henderson and Anthony Pettis fought it out to decide the final WEC Lightweight Champion and the #1 contender to the UFC Lightweight Title. Anthony Pettis won with one of the coolest kicks you'll ever see.

UFC 116 is one of the most all around complete cards in the history of the sport. Literally this card had everything: a giant heavyweight clash, multiple comeback stories, a face turn, knockouts, submissions, upsets and a whole slew of story lines going into it that had mma fans licking their chops. Everything from the first fight to the main event was something worth watching. Very few times have I ever been THAT satisfied with my purchase of a card and I enjoy 90% of the cards I buy. If I could model every card from one particular, disregarding the amazing Pride cards of yesteryear this would be the one all others strive to be.

My heart says UFC 117 due to the pure rush I got from seeing Sonnen beat down Silva after months upon months of hilariously cartoonish trash talk, but my head is telling me UFC 116, as it was a more balanced card and brought the goods the entire night. I'm a big Brock fan and seeing Carwin tag him with those huge shots had me looking on in horror, but to see him come back and win it was a great moment. The rest of the card was just as good and it would be a great event to show someone new to MMA. It really did have it all.

Now I'm a UFC guy top to bottom, but my favorite card this year is easily Strikeforce St. Louis. I hadn't even heard of most of the fighters on that card, and I still loved every second. 3 KO's in a row is just absurd, so I'll give Strikeforce: St. Louis the nod here.

I also haven't seen all of the other cards though.....

UFC 116. As said before me, my heart wants to go with UFC 117 based solely on the Sonnen/Silva fight which is a very likely choice for Fight of the Year, but I just can't go against UFC 116 which was everything a person who is new to the sport needs to see. It has a sick submission and one of the greatest comebacks in the entire history of MMA in the Leben/Akiyama fight. Another awesome and fun fight that resulted in an unusual and un thought of finish in the Lesnar/Carwin bought. Plus wars between Matt Brown/Chris Lytle, Kryzstof/Bonnar and Sotiropoulos/Pellegrino. Just all around great card.

Close seconds would go to Strikeforce: Henderson vs. Babalu which has some absolutely brutal knockouts, as well as some very enjoyable fight, as well as UFC 117 which also had some great fights between Fitch/Alves, Nelson/JDS, Guida/Dos Anjos, Hughes/Almeida and of course Silva/Sonnen.

UFC 116 by a long shot. It gave us many wonderful surprises and excellent fights. Two in my opinion were fight of the year candidates. Krystof and Bonnar excellent war between both men and just an excellent showing by both men a fun fight to watch.

We got the amazing title defense of Brock Lesnar which truly showed his heart and ambition to stay champion and he really does have what it takes to be in the UFC.

Solidified George Soti as a serious contender for his rspective division.

But what makes UFC 116 stand out you ask, the road to redemption by Chris Leben. Not only did he fight two weeks after a previous fight, he comes back and tears the roof off of Las Vegas, Nevada. IT was an excellent fight and really fun to watch, and who knew Leben was going to pull off a triangle choke. Also deserves a mention the great undercard that was displayed. All round an excellent UFC card and realy card of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back