Mixing Up The Commentators

The Brain

King Of The Ring
This thread is not meant to be just another criticism of today’s product. It’s just a minor idea that popped in my mind while watching Smackdown. As I was watching I noticed Smackdown, Raw, and all the PPVs sound the same. It’s always Michael Cole, JBL, and Jerry Lawler with the only exception Lawler does not call Smackdown. We’re hearing the same combination of voices for each show. It may seem minor but I wonder if mixing up the commentary for different shows would create a more distinct feel for them.

When I first got into wrestling it was Vince McMahon and Jesse Ventura calling Superstars, Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan calling Challenge, and Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura doing the PPVs. It may sound strange but mixing it up like that gave the PPVs a bigger feel. After a couple PPVs just hearing the voices of Monsoon and Ventura together automatically set the tone for a big show. I was conditioned to think that way.

Do you think it would make any difference if this kind of format was used today? What if WWE did something like Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler on Raw, Josh Matthews and JBL on Smackdown, and bringing Lawler and JBL together for a PPV while Jim Ross did play by play. I know Ross is on the outs with WWE right now but he’ll be back in their good graces eventually. He always comes back. Besides, he’s just an example. It doesn’t have to be Ross. The point is different voices for different shows so when you get that PPV combination there’s an almost subconscious thought that takes over at the beginning of a show letting you know this one is a bigger deal.

I do believe that the shows need something exclusive and something to make them feel different and what better way than the respective "voices" of either show? I like the trio that works Monday Night Raw, they have a good chemistry at my eyes and they do a fantastic job - even though I don't actually approve what they have to say and how many times they have to say it - and so that team should always be the "A" team at Raw.

However when we talk about Friday Night SmackDown we could have someone new and different - William Regal would be a fine add to the commentary team as he's been improving by the week over at NXT doing some colour commentary. The problem is the play-by-play as I absolutely despise Josh Matthews, mainly because he sounds so corny and so fake... so they don't have any other guy to do it, aside from the retired Jim Ross, Joey Styles and the newbie Renee Young and Byron Saxton.

But when you compare those times with The Body & Vince, The Brain and Monsoon... man it just shows how WWE needs better commentators. I mean, I have no problem with Michael Cole and JBL whatsoever, but they are a very light version of Monsoon and Ventura. I think having different commentary teams would add something to the shows and PPV's when you mixed them up, but they don't look like they are going to do it anytime soon.

I think WWE lacks an availability of commentators to make it happen. Besides Cole, Lawler, and JBL, who else can call prime time shows or ppv matches? There are no other big commentators on the roster. They got rid of Matt Striker, who could easily work with JBL on smackdown. It would be a more cerebral atmosphere on SD commentary to counterbalance all the color commentating that goes on during RAW. Lawler exclusively works RAW because he's not familiar with the rest of the roster and what the storylines look like. However, he's still necessary for the ppvs because he's one of those voices we've been conditioned to associate with important ppv matches. In short, its a great sentiment, but there isn't enough talent to put it into practice.

I think changing it up is an option but I think JBL/Cole are a decent combination, and are overall decent commentators. Having them on Raw and PPV is a must but they could change it for Smackdown. I understand why having different commentators on different shows is advantageous but unless they replace quality with quality I don't see the point. I really don't what the next Mike Adamle or Todd Grisham commentating.

They still haven't found anyone to replace Cole but there are options other than JBL. Alex Riley is someone who seems to be a good commentator. I personally like Brad Maddox and there is of course William Regal and Booker T. I suppose they could keep Lawler just for PPV's or have him exclusively on Raw and eventually phase him out.

Raw - Cole, JBL, Alex Riley
Smackdown - Michael Cole, Booker T/ William Regal and maybe Maddox
PPV - Cole, JBL, Lawler

That would be a fairly good mix and allows us to hear different voices and opinions. To be honest, I think there should always be a heel commentator to play devils advocate and obviously, J.R comes back for Wrestlemania :)

Smackdown is in the perfect position to acquire a new commentary team, or at least one broadcast partner accompanied by JBL/Cole/Lawler. Someone like "Road Dogg" Jesse James or someone completely new. Experiment a little, you know? If it flops, no harm done because it's Smackdown. If it's a success, hold onto them.

I also miss the feel of Raw's announce team transitioning over to Smackdown's at events like WrestleMania. Having two different set of teams gave it this larger than life atmosphere.

At Pay Per Views, toss JR or Shawn Michaels here and there for appeal.

Definitely a good idea but as stated, change that decreases quality of what we already have is no good. Just curious...are there any females in the organization that could make for permanent commentators? Maybe Vicki or AJ? Not clamoring for any kind of political statement but it would be cool I think to have the right female as a commentator for a show, Smackdown maybe.

The presentation of the product in concert with the philosophy and lack of depth of talent at commentary hinder WWE's ability to do much of anything that would recapture the quality that they had in yesteryear. Mixing things up would be nice simply from the standpoint of variety, but I don't have enough confidence in the commentators to say that they would be able to make pay-per-views feel more special. Sad to say, but I think we're just going to have to deal with poor commentary until WWE changes its overall approach to commentary and develops or acquires new, talented commentators.

In regards to the presentation of WWE programming as well as their commentary philosophy, commentators are often just pitchmen and hype men. I understand the need to push the apps and Twitter trends, and I also get that big storylines need to be promoted. Unfortunately, oftentimes these aspects infringe on the in-ring action and character development of mid-card talent and angles. How many times has their been a mid-card bout going on where the commentary team spends the majority of the match talking about a main event angle? Suffice to say that it has been far too many over the course of recent years, in my humble opinion. Same with the shilling, however that occurs more infrequently. Talking about things unrelated to the match makes the match itself feel irrelevant, thus hurting the talent and whatever storyline they're in, however minor it may be.

As far as WWE's lack of commentary talent goes, well, just look at the names in the OP. Jesse Ventura, Gorilla Monsoon, Vince McMahon, Bobby Heenan, and add to that underrated or oft-forgotten short term color men in the form of Alfred Hayes, Roddy Piper, Ted DiBiase, and Curt Hennig. Occasional play-by-play appearances by Tony Schiavone, Gene Okerlund, and Sean Mooney provided capable straight men for the colorful Ventura, Heenan et. al. when Gorilla and Vince weren't there. Compare that to what we have today, and it shames today's product. The Attitude Era didn't have that embarrassment of riches, but it was made up for by JR and King's amazing skill and chemistry, along with a product presentation and commentary philosophy that allowed Michael Cole and Kevin Kelly to fill in admirably. Commentators in the Attitude Era made every bout, regardless of card placement, feel bigger. They were enthusiastic and bombastic. Today, not only is WWE short on talent, but the commentators are often somnambulant. Too often, the only excitement they show is when they're bickering.

Cole and JBL have proven to be talented but are handcuffed, King needed to retire 6 years ago, and Matthews is serviceable. Riley has potential, and I'll give him time before I make a determination on how I like him. After those names, who is there? JR is gone. Regal is great but, for whatever reason, sits on the sidelines. The rest of the commentary roster isn't even worth discussing in my opinion. And regardless of whatever latent talent these folks have or diamonds in the rough are hiding backstage, the commentary philosophy itself has them all handcuffed as I said before. Push the big angles, push the apps, sponsors, Twitter trends and tweets, and give the action just enough attention, save for tense moments or big spots. For a fan of my age/generation, it can be maddening.

Mixing things up might put a Band-Aid on the commentary's lack of quality, but the underlying problems would still exist. WWE needs to make changes both in the commentary execution and the commentators themselves. As far as I'm concerned, JR is out of the equation. King needs to go. Cole and JBL ought not to have voices in their ears and should be free to let their natural skill and charisma shine through. And any talent with potential needs to be nurtured in that more free environment, hopefully developing into new Gorilla's and JR's. I've mentioned elsewhere that WWE's staid approach is beginning to bore me, and the commentary is a part of that. So, mix guys up, sure, but also allow them to perform better and if they don't, get better performers.

All commentators employed by the WWE are terrible in my opinion. JBL, Cole and Lawler are boring as we have heard there voices too much over the last few years. The NXT commentators are terrible. I would have Miz and Renee Young. Something new and original

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back