• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mixing it Up

Where will a female play first?

• Major League Baseball

• National Football League

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
I heard a debate today while sititng in class, and thought I'd present it here.

Which of the following will be seen first: A woman playing Major League Baseball, or in the National Football League?

While both are very unlikely, I would have to say baseball. In baseball, there is far less physical contact. Women are, on average, shorter and less strong than men. That's not sexism, that's fact. In football, the game is more based on power and strength. There are certainly women that are able to play football on a high school or even a college level, but after that, the leap to the pros, to me at least, is just too big.

On the other hand, in baseball, I could easily see a female playing. There is an urban legend that in the 1930s a woman was able to strike out 5 Major League Baseball players that are now in the Hall of Fame, including Babe Ruth. While neither is likely in the near future, I would easily go with baseball. In the end, I think the size and power issues are just too much to say football.

What are your thoughts, and give reasons.

Yeah I would think women would be able to play in the MLB before the NFL. In baseball you pretty much have 0 contact with the other players unlike football where it's pretty much full blown attacking. I'm not saying that some women couldn't handle it, it's just a fact that women's bodies are different and they couldn't take the impact from some big guys(most normal men couldn't either though). Also in this society its pretty wrong to hit a women(and not trying to sound sexis but)and alot of guys wouldn't want to go all out against a girl. So defenitly baseball seems like the more likely chose right now anyways.

I could see a woman as a kicker in the NFL.

I am going to try and say this the least chauvinistic way possible. In baseball, while swinging the bat, you have to get your hips through the zone. Women, with the wider hips will take longer to do so. There is already only about .1-.2 seconds to react and make contact. That extra piece of a second limits a woman's ability to hit. If you watch a softball game, you see that all the women bat like Ichiro, two steps and swing. Not going to happen against Scott Kazmir, Roy Oswaly, Cole Hammels, etc.

A woman can kick in the NFL.

If you mean women and men playing together, I doubt you'll ever see it happen. Men are physically stronger, and it would take a lot for a woman to get to that level. I'm not saying it's impossible, and I'm sure they could do it if they really wanted to, but it'd be tough. American Football is more or less the same as Rugby League and I've seen a few women hold their own against players in the SL. While not on the same level, they played really well.

However, I also think most men would be afraid of going too hard on a woman and would then go 'easy' on them. As well as undermining what the women had worked for, every one of their wins would be based on the fact other teams go easy on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back