• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Missed Chance?: Edge World Champion 2002

Y-2-Jay

Pre-Show Stalwart
New day, new missed chance. Today's missed chance is one i am legit mad about. And it is Edge as the world champion in 2002. The rumor/plan was Edge was susposed to move to RAW at around about SummerSlam and was going to be in the chamber match at Survivor Series and was going to win it. Buuuuttttt bullshit politics happened and HBK was booked to do his "comeback" win which could have been done at any other PPV. If you guys didnt know in 2002 Edge was over as fuck he would get huge pops and you could tell the crowd WANTED! him to win that title.

This is a missed chance in my opinion because he could have easily been the next big face of the company easily, But Edge would be kept on Smackdown till his 2003 injury. When he came back in 2004 he lost tons of momentum due to his injury and was dropped to mid card. This is my first and only time i will give my opinion on any of these chances threads because this is one of those chances that has really made me mad. My answer is obvious, yes this was a huge missed chance. Edge still got into main event status as a heel but a face Edge would have been HUGE back then. The Cena of this generation? Hell yeah.

I aggree that this is a huge missed chance, I wasnt watching around then but i have seen on his decade of decadancce dvd and various PPVs from around the time that he was getting huge main event worthy pops and at that stage he was even better in the ring. It is bulls**t that HBK had to win the EC match instead of edge that could have easily happened the the previous months PPV. Im not sure he would have been the Cena of this generation, maybe the randy orton of this generation though.

Well here's the deal: I agree that it was bull of HBK coming back in the fashion he did. However, I'm sure that Edge became world champ at the right time. He gets FAR louder reactions as a heel because he's naturally better at it instead of the corniness that was his face runs. I also disagree on the part on him possibly being the face of the company as Cena became a couple years later. I can much more easily imagine him occupying the space Jericho was in recently as the most hated heel and he could EASILY do it without miss "Excuse me!"

i agree and disagree i agree HBK could of came back at anyother PPV but i disagree that EDGE should of been World Champion then and would of been the face of the company. while he was getting getting a Great reaction i think he won the title at the right time because he is a natural Heel.
but off topic i think a Missed Chance was with Christian when he was fueding with SuperCena during his seemilying never-endind title reign in 2005.

I agree it was a missed chance and he would have been Huge, BUT!, he is a FAR FAR better heel, his whole Rated R gimmick has pushed him alot, but in the time from SummerSlam 2002 to his first world title win, he completely reinvented himself, going to Raw, turning Heel, Feud with HBK, MITB, the Matt Hardy Lita triangle, and then Cashing in money in the bank he became a huge star. If he had of won the title back in 2002 he would have gotten a poor run as HHH would have wanted his title back and at that stage i didnt see him main eventing Wrestle Mania.

I think the HBK return was great and had the crowd going nuts.

Now to the Edge push, well I'm glad he didn't get one.
If we had another big untouchable face, I'd be sick man and quite frankly,
I loved his 2005-07 Rated R Superstar gimmick.

Gave some great matches and awesome promos!

I'm sorry, I disagree. I think he won it at the right time. Yes, he was uber over. But so is Matt Hardy. Yes, HBK didn't need to come back with all that glamor but he's fucking HBK and can do that.

I'm glad Edge isn't the face of the company. He is much better as a heel. Case in point, his face turn earlier this year. Honestly, he got about as good of cheers as anybody gets when they fight Jericho for the WHC (excluding Swagger).

But when he cashed it in and had his live sex celebration, he became known as the Rated R Superstar. I rather him like that better than as a face.

Off-topic reply to peeps4life... Christian was BARELY "feuding" with Cena. Hell, his only chance to beat him was at ONE ppv and it was a triple threat match. The real feud at the time was between Cena and Y2J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back