• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

*MIGHT* Big New Japan Star Be WWE Bound?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
A recent post on Twitter by New Japan star Kenny Omega has some wondering about what his future is. Omega wrote: "I will be stepping away from Japan to reassess my future. The path of my journey may change, but my goals will not. @@KennyOmegamanX there is no plan. My schedule is cleared and I'm weighing all options. I've a lot to consider. Thx for the patience/support."

Kenny Omega recently wrestled at New Japan's biggest show of the year, Wrestle Kingdom 11, where he challenged Kazuchika Okada in a losing for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship that caused Dave Meltzer to bust 6 or 7 nuts by hailing it as possibly the greatest match in the history of pro wrestling.

Kenny Omega has been quite loyal to New Japan over the years, he actually lives in Japan, speaks & reads Japanese fluently and just generally loves the culture. As is the case whenever most wrestlers Tweet about their futures, Omega's words are somewhat vague. He could merely be taking time off for a while to rest up, maybe he's considering getting out of wrestling altogether, maybe he's considering coming to WWE if the price is right, etc. As with Styles, Anderson & Gallows, Omega makes good money and I could see him heading to WWE if they simply made him an offer that was too good to pass up, loyalty or not. At the same time, Omega recently made a comment about how he thought it'd be cool if he became a legend who never went to WWE.

So, when it's all said and done, this may be nothing whatsoever but it's still interesting to think about.

Wow if it really happens.

I would just love it.

But I did read Kenny Omega saying that he will never join WWE and that the WWE title isn't as prestigious as the IWGP title. Also, that he would like to stay in NJPW and make himself a bigger name instead of leaving NJPW for any other promotion.

For now, he's just teasing, I guess.

NO HE ISN'T COMING TO WWE he does not see the WWE titles as prestigous as NJ
he stated that he will be stepping away from Japan for awhile not leaving NJPW for good
I see him spending a good length of time doing ROH shows before returning to NJ

I don't think he should for his career do what I am about to ask, but is Kenny Omega a big enough star beyond NJPW to make an significant difference in TNA? Should TNA make a run at this guy if he actually is available? If he goes to WWE he's just another guy and they won't know how to use him. His strength is storytelling in the ring and he has the freedom with his opponent to create that "story." WWE wouldn't give him the freedom.

However, TNA could and should give him that freedom should he sign there. My question would be would it make any difference for them? With new ownership I feel like a new star could make a huge difference for them. Give them fresh face to hang their hat on. Just how big of a star is Kenny Omega? Would the Japanese fanbase follow him there? Would the Bullet Club crowd tune in?

In 2015 he turned down 3 WWE Offers alone. In 2016 he was worth even more, and still didn't leave. Now we're here at 2017 after his Wrestle Kingdom match with Okada and he's recovering after a hard loss. With his in ring work and time invested with the fans he's only gained momentum and risen in popularity. He also was the first Non-Japanese wrestler to win the G1 Climax.

He loves the culture, and even has residence in Japan. NJPW is grabbing more attention, and Kenny is the head to that spear. The chances he'd throw away years of hard work in a place he is appreciated and loved is kind of not there. Bullet club is running a course and becoming stale as time passes on. Kenny, has a chance of turning face or distancing himself from the Bullet Club at this time. He's a great hype man, and get's people emotionally invested relatively easily.

He mentioned only a day ago he was feeling "Old" with pains and watching younger talent. Then questioned why not a single one is rising, and took shots at how being a "Cog in the WWE Machine is the worst thing ever". Even a main roster jump, and a title shot probably wouldn't bring him over there. "Aj's doing great, but he's always been great".

They referenced the first Terminator movie as well which Kenny has based a lot of his character on. The first terminator movie, a heel. The return, a face. NJPW has worked a few of these angles as well of "broken" people coming back. It'd be excellent timing, and work out pretty well if they continue to invest in not only Kenny, but his angles. I doubt he'd throw that away for TNA, NXT, or audiences that barely care about in ring product.

He's also stated several times he is not a fan of ROH. I know the UK pro-wrestling scene is doing fine, but I'm pretty sure Kenny doesn't have that on his map. The only place he's said that he could consider a second home is PWG. PWG is decently small and supposedly has zero intention on expansion. Besides it looking like a complete work I don't think there's much chance of him signing away to an awful company.

AJ, has family and friends here. Same with Gallows, and Anderson. AJ is also breaching 40 and just had a daughter. He's mentioned the after in ring career offered at WWE interests him quite a bit as well. Anderson, 36. Gallows, 33. On Talk is Jericho, it was kind of apparent they just needed a break and wanted to be back home. Shinsuke, 36, had fought most of the top guys over the years, and just wanted some new competition. It was a good time for him so he made the big leap here. Kenny, 33 lives there, is a fluid speaker, and has a bit going for him, and isn't from the States either way.

I hope he doesn't jump ship for quite a while, and he get's taken care of and doesn't lose any passion. I've been a fan for awhile now and he's been a favorite of mine that keeps me interested in wrestling. As a fan, I'd rather see him do what he does best no limits and have timeless matches. I'll still support him either way, but I'd be in hopes he goes to WWE after a stint as a face or a big angle.

I don't see it happening. As as been said he loves Japan, lives there and speaks and reads the language fluently. He has never held any interest or so it seems in joining the WWE at all. By some accounts he's turned down many offers. This is what he had to say about the WWE Championship belt.

“This IWGP title means more with me than any WWE championship. The WWE belt means nothing, it means absolutely nothing. They pass around that belt like a hot potato. I probably have a neighbor on my block who held that belt at one point. There is no prestige to that belt whatsoever.”

So pretty obvious that he thinks even the highest title you can hold in the WWE is meaningless. NJPW apparently treats him very well over there, so he would be rather stupid to leave. I think he is just taking some time off, but we will never see him in a WWE ring.

I don't think he should for his career do what I am about to ask, but is Kenny Omega a big enough star beyond NJPW to make an significant difference in TNA? Should TNA make a run at this guy if he actually is available? If he goes to WWE he's just another guy and they won't know how to use him. His strength is storytelling in the ring and he has the freedom with his opponent to create that "story." WWE wouldn't give him the freedom.

However, TNA could and should give him that freedom should he sign there. My question would be would it make any difference for them? With new ownership I feel like a new star could make a huge difference for them. Give them fresh face to hang their hat on. Just how big of a star is Kenny Omega? Would the Japanese fanbase follow him there? Would the Bullet Club crowd tune in?
Only two ways I see Kenny Omega signing with WWE: 1) Bill Behrens is able to get him a BETTER deal than AJ Styles and Nakamura got, which will catapult him right to the Main Event on the Main Roster. Or, 2) Get him Rusev-type money and bargain for"creative liberties", which will allow Omega creative freedom. I doubt he can get the first. McMahon will NEVER give him the second (Which is why the Hardys will not sign with WWE).

As for TNA signing him? If Anthem and CBS (Pop's parent) are REALLY trying to improve on TNA, they will offer a King's Ransom to Omega. No question they are trying to excise the Dixie era. Jarrett and Dutch are back. I would not be surprised if they brought back Cornette, either. Omega would be the major lynchpin that just might see Kyle O'Reilly move on to TNA, and convince Mike Bennett to stay around. It would also be a sign that TNA is abandoning trying to be WWE-Light. Will the Bullet Club crowd watch? That will be the $64,000 Question.

Right now? I think he is just taking a breather. After that match at WK11, he damn well deserves one.

I don't see it happening. As as been said he loves Japan, lives there and speaks and reads the language fluently. He has never held any interest or so it seems in joining the WWE at all. By some accounts he's turned down many offers. This is what he had to say about the WWE Championship belt.

“This IWGP title means more with me than any WWE championship. The WWE belt means nothing, it means absolutely nothing. They pass around that belt like a hot potato. I probably have a neighbor on my block who held that belt at one point. There is no prestige to that belt whatsoever.”

So pretty obvious that he thinks even the highest title you can hold in the WWE is meaningless. NJPW apparently treats him very well over there, so he would be rather stupid to leave. I think he is just taking some time off, but we will never see him in a WWE ring.

Yeah, I've heard he's treated well in New Japan. He loves the culture, is fluent in the language, lives in Japan, etc. so it's easily understandable if he chose to remain. I think his comments towards the WWE Championship are bullshit in the sense that it's easier to have a long title run in New Japan. Omega's match against Okada was Okada's 2nd title defense after almost 200 days as champion; it's easy to be champ for 6 months when you don't defend the title.

Yeah, I've heard he's treated well in New Japan. He loves the culture, is fluent in the language, lives in Japan, etc. so it's easily understandable if he chose to remain. I think his comments towards the WWE Championship are bullshit in the sense that it's easier to have a long title run in New Japan. Omega's match against Okada was Okada's 2nd title defense after almost 200 days as champion; it's easy to be champ for 6 months when you don't defend the title.

I had no idea they went so long without a title defense, but you do have to admit they do it right, holding a huge tournament and whatever that G1 thing is. Obviously the NJPW roster feel that holding the title is something to be valued, not the way it is booked in the WWE. (see Kevin Owens or Seth Rollins)

But if you read up on this Omega fellow, he has apparently always been interested in the Japanese way of life. I mean hell it's a hard language and he both speaks and reads it. Not bad for a kid from Winnipeg. Also he didn't have many good things to say about the WWE development training he received. And for all accounts the WWE have made him numerous offers over the past few years, all been turned down.

While some wrestlers see the WWE as the pinnacle of success, others may not be that interested. It's been said that Nakamura left NJPW because he was looking for other wrestler's to wrestle against, he had pretty much done all he could there. Styles, Anderson and Gallows are all from the US and they have family here. Styles said he came back to the US because of his wife and kids. So everyone in the business has different reasons for wanting to move or stay where they are. Look at Itami he is kind of not enjoying his time in NXT. Might be the injuries have taken their toll, but he's having a problem learning English and looks to be quite homesick. He looks quite honestly like a fish out of water.

I've watched Omega's matches on Youtube and he is one hell of a wrestler and he would either do very well or be absolutely miserable in the WWE. He has it pretty good where he is now, and it's always a good sign that the WWE wants you. The question is though, does he want them?

Omega saying the NJPW title is more prestigious is good business for him. Whether he means it or not, it doesn't mean anything to me because he's putting his home org over.

I doubt it happens, but it'd be awesome.

I had no idea they went so long without a title defense, but you do have to admit they do it right, holding a huge tournament and whatever that G1 thing is. Obviously the NJPW roster feel that holding the title is something to be valued, not the way it is booked in the WWE. (see Kevin Owens or Seth Rollins)

It's usually SOP for every title in New Japan to go months without being defended. Hiroshi Tanahashi held the title more times, 7 times to be exact, for a total of 1,358 days, or thereabouts, and he reportedly defended the strap a total of 28 times. So yeah, the hot potato comment for the WWE Championship isn't exactly legit when you take into account that it's not at all uncommon for wrestlers to go 4 to 6 months without wrestling bouts where the strap is on the line. That was really how it used to be in NXT before it became its own touring brand.

I do agree that WWE could learn from New Japan in the sense that New Japan markets their product as a more of a sport than the WWE main roster probably ever has at any point in its history. I'd like to see Vince treat the product as a whole with a more serious mind set and while we all know that wrestling is entertainment, sort of presenting it with a sports like feel with a degree of seriousness could be refreshing.

Vince is something of a riddle wrapped in an enigma in some ways. For instance, he's willing to accept different styles and ways of doing things to a certain degree, but not if it's something that he personally just doesn't click with. Or if he sees something that's already working or has a lot of potential, he sometimes tinkers with it to make it more along something he himself is into at the expense of the product; the Cruiserweight Division is an example of that.

I agree with the notion that Omega would either love WWE or hate it after being there. Omega has stated that after his lost to Okada that he's "just not motivated now" so there are several ways to look at that. One possible translation is: "I'm burned out physically & mentally and I'm just gonna take some time off." Another possible translation is: "Okay, my deal is up and it's gonna take a significant pay raise to properly motivate me to sign another one." Before Styles, Anderson & Gallows left, New Japan operated on a year long contract with everyone but that's now changed as they're now doing the multi-year thing like WWE does.

As I already said, he may be just teasing all his fans. And I guess that if he's really doing so, he has done a good job.

What other possibility could be that he may be nearing a face turn. Him getting the title at this recent event won't be better than when he gets the title as a face. Bullet Club hasn't been as dominant as in the past as shown by their Dome performance. So, maybe a face turn, just maybe.

With Kenny you never know, he is the living definition of "work". Nonetheless, his last words about Cena are a departure to his prior stand about WWE.

Problem is, lets say he goes to WWE....what are you gonna do with the guy that just had the best match in wrestling history?, you need to put him on the top of the food chain with the likes of AJ, Cena, etc.

WWE can benefit A LOT from Kenny, as a matter of fact, he can go to SDLive and resume (actually it didnt start at all) his feud with AJ. Remember he was the one that "put AJ out" and took over as the leader of the bullet club.

Aj and Kenny will put on 5 star matches every time they face each other.

Time will tell.

I get that Okada was only making his second defense since the end of June, but that was mostly a result of storylines taking away potential for other defenses to have weight since the belt was clearly not changing, as well as the champ being in the G1 and World Tag League always limiting title defenses in the second half of the year.

There have been 37 matches for the IWGP Heavyweight title in the last five years(since and counting 2012's Wrestle Kingdom). That's an average of one title defense every 7 weeks. And every other belt on the roster is defended more often than that. Isolating one reign which fell mostly during the final three or four months of the year is misleading as the IWGP title defenses are few and far between during the months of September through December. The first half of the year typically features just about as many defenses as you'd see in WWE.

It's usually SOP for every title in New Japan to go months without being defended. Hiroshi Tanahashi held the title more times, 7 times to be exact, for a total of 1,358 days, or thereabouts, and he reportedly defended the strap a total of 28 times. So yeah, the hot potato comment for the WWE Championship isn't exactly legit when you take into account that it's not at all uncommon for wrestlers to go 4 to 6 months without wrestling bouts where the strap is on the line.

This Tanahashi stat looks misleading presented that way and can be further broken down too...

In 1,358 days reigning as champ, Tanahashi made 28 successful defenses of the belt. That same span covers the seven more IWGP title matches that Tanahashi won to gain the belt(unsuccessful defenses by the opponent) and the seven matches in which he dropped the belt(his own unsuccessful defenses). That works out to 42 IWGP title matches in a 1,365 day span, or in other words, one IWGP title defense every 32.5 days- roughly one a month, which is quite comparable to how frequently the WWE title is defended in modern times.

It may not pan out to much, but it's worth noting that he just released a new shirt on PWT today, which would kind of be a silly thing to do if he were going to be joining a company that would have exclusive merchandise rights for him in a month.

He's also reportedly scheduled to be taking part in the New Japan Cup as recently as this morning. While this can obviously change, I believe its a pretty solid indication that he's planning on sticking around.

If we look at the tweet he sent out as his announcement, there's one thing that really stands out to me. "The path of my journey may change, but my goals will not.". His goal isn't just to become a world champion, or to be the best wrestler in the world. It's specifically to win the IWGP Heavyweight Championship, and to bridge the gap between NJPW and the western audience, to bring to company out of its status as a niche promotion and have it become more mainstream worldwide. His goal was always Japan and Puroresu. He's said that even his time in WWE developmental was only a stepping stone to get his foot in the door and be wrestling in Japan, the opposite of everyone else going through training and other promotions with the intent on making it into the WWE. I believe the "change in path" may refer to a separation from the Bullet Club and making his return as a babyface as opposed to going to another company.

Why is it when a wrestler leaves one association everyone jumps into wishful thinking mode and make speculations! Omega said he disliked wwe and made all the negative comments and criticism and the title is not prestigious in wwe but a joke if any he may end up in TNA where they will give Kenny Omega the opportunity to work the independents like NJPW!

I think TNA should make a run at this guy ASAP! If he goes to wwe he will be just another guy and buried big time with the rest of the benchwarmers they have and they won't know how to use him. wwe wouldn't give him the freedom.

TNA should and probably would give him that freedom should he sign there. With new ownership I feel like a new star could make a huge difference for them. By then AJ Styles will be back in TNA by next year and these 2 can feud as they did earlier in their NJPW days!

TNA should and probably would give him that freedom should he sign there. With new ownership I feel like a new star could make a huge difference for them. By then AJ Styles will be back in TNA by next year and these 2 can feud as they did earlier in their NJPW days!

AJ will never be going back to TNA, he's a made man in the WWE now.

With that out of the way, please tell me more about this AJ versus Omega feud and matches that you have headcanoned.

Why is it when a wrestler leaves one association everyone jumps into wishful thinking mode and make speculations! Omega said he disliked wwe and made all the negative comments and criticism and the title is not prestigious in wwe but a joke if any he may end up in TNA where they will give Kenny Omega the opportunity to work the independents like NJPW!

I think TNA should make a run at this guy ASAP! If he goes to wwe he will be just another guy and buried big time with the rest of the benchwarmers they have and they won't know how to use him. wwe wouldn't give him the freedom.

Okay, so first off you just gave people shit for "going into wishful thinking mode and making speculations" about Omega going to WWE, and then went ahead and did the exact same thing about him going to TNA.

Secondly, Omega and Styles never feuded during their NJPW days. They won a tag match, Omega attacked Styles after the match, Styles got kicked out of the Bullet Club and by extension the company. They never even worked a single match opposed to each other. The only thing that even came remotely close to a feud tease between the two was at Invasion Attack 2015 when Omega didn't know whether to help AJ retain his title, or to help his former tag partner/best friend in Ibushi to fend off Bullet Club and win the belt. And that tension lasted all of about 10 seconds.

They did work a match back in PCW over a decade ago, but a one and done match does not a feud make.

AJ will never be going back to TNA, he's a made man in the WWE now.

With that out of the way, please tell me more about this AJ versus Omega feud and matches that you have headcanoned.

Now that Anthem owns TNA and ditzy Carter no longer in power if TNA wants to bring back AJ Styles they will one of the reasons why AJ Styles left was because of her and even said the company was unorganised and ran by her. You might as well enjoy the last match with AJ Styles vs john cena at the RR cause this is where he loses and Cena becomes 16th time champion so the rumors I heard before I stated that it would happen and guess what it is happening! From there on AJ Styles will be jobbing. The match I am talking about is PCW they fought a decade ago ! So if TNA can bring Kenny Omega they can also lure AJ Styles back as well cause AJ Styles is a TNA made man and TNA made not wwe!

Now that Anthem owns TNA and ditzy Carter no longer in power if TNA wants to bring back AJ Styles they will one of the reasons why AJ Styles left was because of her and even said the company was unorganised and ran by her. You might as well enjoy the last match with AJ Styles vs john cena at the RR cause this is where he loses and Cena becomes 16th time champion so the rumors I heard before I stated that it would happen and guess what it is happening! From there on AJ Styles will be jobbing. The match I am talking about is PCW they fought a decade ago ! So if TNA can bring Kenny Omega they can also lure AJ Styles back as well cause AJ Styles is a TNA made man and TNA made not wwe!

Styles is under a 3 year deal. Also you guys really should stop throwing around the word jobbing so loosely. I highly doubt with how valuable AJ has shown he can be to the WWE within a year that they would turn him into the Brooklyn Brawler or R-Truth.

Bill Behrens will not allow AJ Styles to go back to TNA. Anthem is looking to rebuild their product, not recapture the past. Behrens will make damn sure his client in AJ Styles will get a truckload of money from Stamford, far more than Anthem would be willing to give him.

According to reports Styles had the chance to go back to TNA when he left NJPW, he turned it down. The WWE obviously made him a more attractive offer, and he's been treated pretty well since he went there. And what on earth makes you think that Kenny Omega would leave an organization like NJPW and join TNA. Sure they might be under new ownership, but it's still a shitshow over there.

It's funny how you were singing the praises of Dixie Carter a month or so ago, but now she's like the worst thing that ever happened to TNA. Something everyone else recognized a long time before you did. TNA hopefully will get their act together and continue on. I would be very surprised though if their plans included Kenny Omega and AJ Styles. Besides Styles has already said there are more options for him in the WWE when he steps out of the ring than there are in other companies. He would do very well working with new recruits at the performance centre.

As various rumors, talk, fantasy booking scenarios, etc. continue to buzz around the net concerning Omega, he sat down with Taz during Taz's podcast in which he made this comment:

"I don't want to just take a payday and collect a check. While I'm still healthy, while I still have ideas in this crazy head of mine, I want to contribute and I want to do things that are going to make wrestling fans happy and are going to make new people into wrestling fans that were wrestling fans before, I want to contribute in that manner. If a company like WWE were willing to use me in that manner, if they had good ideas for me and I had good ideas that jived with that, I would heavily consider that."

Omega himself could put an end to all the uncertainty, though he's the one who started it in the first place, and he's playing a smart game by keeping his stock high by helping to keep the buzz going. Maybe it's because, like a lot of other American fans, I'm not as overly familiar with Omega given that Japan is where he's become a major name, and maybe I'm a bit naïve in this sense, but this response feels strangely genuine to me. One of the things I know about the guy is that he has a very strong, very genuine love for Japan and its culture and I think that it'd probably take a lot more than a big payday for him to leave. I've little doubt he makes a good living in Japan and, as a result, I strangely believe him when he says that he wants to do meaningful, interesting things in wrestling, that he wants to "contribute." His wording gives me the impression that if went to WWE with a guarantee that he'd have a genuinely strong degree of creative input over what he does, then signing WWE would be a real possibility. From a realistic perspective after all, Omega seems to have that creative influence with New Japan and he'd rather be somewhere in which he has that instead of simply being handed something and told "here's what you've got, go do it" without any degree of control over it. He obviously has something he enjoys very much going in New Japan, and makes a good deal of money doing it, so he doesn't need to be treated as some sort of indentured servant.

I'm naturally cynical, I have a suspicious mind about damn near everything and I'm surprised that I'm not nearly as cynical or suspicious about this statement

I'm sure most already know but:

WWE released a video, featuring WWE superstars offering their picks on who they would like to see as surprise entrants in the Royal Rumble.

One of the picks featured Seth Rollins speculating that Kenny Omega might appear in the match given his current NJPW status. "Maybe Kenny Omega," Rollins replied. "There's been a lot of buzz about him that his future's up in the air with New Japan, so you never know. Could we see The Cleaner in the Rumble? I don't know."

WWE has uploaded the same video to YouTube, and has since edited the Rollins bit out of the video.

In addition to the video, for a brief time today WWE.com and the WWE App also made mention of Omega in the title of the video, but those mentions have been removed as well.

So I guess take that for what it is...

I don't know what people are talking about with TNA in here. At this point, assuming the money is equal, just about anyone would choose WWE over TNA, unless you are a "WWE is not using me" guy like Cody Rhodes. WWE would be better for Kenny Omega, but he's fine in NJPW. Of course other guys are going to play it up that he could be in the Rumble. It's much better when you think thing could happen.

As for the comment of AJ going back to TNA. No way. He's at the top. TNA can't match the money, exposure, or prestige AJ has right now. Why would he go back to a place that's failed so many times over?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back