Meltdown 90/Ascension 65/Aftershock 24 preview

Showtime

It's Showtime!
Hello and welcome one and all to the debut of what I hope will be many columns on the mostly barren wasteland known as WZCW.com. Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Cody Mcgarrol. I am a long time WZCW fan, having been a regular viewer since 2009. My day job is as an employee benefits sales rep for a large company, mostly dealing with corporate insurance. For years, I was a writer and moderator for a very successful wrestling E-fed, but stepped down recently to spend more time with my significant other. It’s too bad you can’t sell an insurance on that as soon after, we broke up and she moved out. Rather than going back to my old e-fed, I decided to try my hand at writing columns for a real wrestling federation. WZCW is one of the best run feds in my mind and has continually shown growth and success, despite a rather unstable roster at times. I can’t say that I’ve agreed with every decision they’ve done, but who can say that about any wrestling promotion. The great thing about wrestling is it tries to cater to every type of fan. Like a three ring circus, there is usually something for everybody inside the squared circle. I for one can’t wait to talk about the good and the bad I see in WZCW, so let’s begin. Let’s dive right into our preview for the biggest event in WZCW, Kingdom Come!

What’s that you say? Kingdom Come isn’t for over a month? That can’t be true, just look at the card. It is action packed, it has main event matches from start to finish. On paper there is no questioning that, but rub your eyes I little bit like I have and you will see that this week is just a regular week on the road to the big event Kingdom Come. I am floored by some of the matches they have this week that I would have bet to have seen at Kingdom Come. Are the guys running WZCW so sure the people will buy Kingdom Come, even if it has nothing but rematches? Are they being pressured by TV executives to boost their ratings? WZCW regularly sees a rating higher than 4.0 on the Nielsen ratings. Wwe know That No Active wrestling company is even drawing close to those ratings anymore, so I can’t see why they would be worried about that. What ever, I shouldn’t complain about something like that. This will be good in the short term, and likely great in the long run. Let’s break down some the matches first and start with the World Title picture.

The Main Events

williamregal8_display_image.jpg

On Meltdown this week, WZCW champion Steven Holmes and number one contender Drake Callahan are both competing in huge blockbuster matches. Holmes is facing the monster Barbosa, while Drake will face the legend Titus in his first match in over three months. It sucks to say that I am not sure where Barbosa will be positioned going in Kingdom Come. A potential match verse former partner Hunter Kravinoff seems to have fizzled up as Hunter is not being advertised for this weeks shows or anything after. Plans could still change, but right now Barbosa is hanging in limbo, which is a huge disappointment. Barbosa is one of those characters who will never be viewed by management as a “number one” guy, but whatever situation he has been put it, he has done amazing work. He’s been well protected during his feud with S.H.I.T and his tag team run, and I expect the same to occur during this match. Holmes is the hottest heel in WZCW right now and I don’t expect that to slow up verse Barbosa. This match is good for both people as it gets Barbosa back in the main event scene and gives Holmes a very credible challenger. Look for Holmes to pick up the win via a roll up from interference, or a DQ ending. This match won’t have a clean finish.

On the other side of the Meltdown main events, Drake faces the returning Titus. I don’t know quite how I feel about this match. Drake showed some potential to turn face two weeks ago, and pairing him verse Titus puts him right back to being a heel. Nothing wrong with that as Drake has been an excellent heel for a year now, but it leaves me to wonder what they are planning for the main event at Kingdom Come. Pairing him with Titus will be a huge boost to his career though. Titus made his return last round and challenged K.O. to match at Kingdom Come. The feud makes perfect sense and is now the only match on the card I am 100% sure will happen. This will be a good warm up match for Titus and just like the other main event on Meltdown, I see interference from K.O. leading to a Drake victory as the likely ending.

Over on Ascension, Showtime David Cougar returns to action following his concussion to face Steven Holmes’ lover, Celeste Crimson. This is another match up I would’ve picked to happen at Kingdom Come, but after Showtime’s attack on Holmes last round and this match happening this round, I wouldn’t be surprised if one or both were inserted into the World Title match at Kingdom Come. My money is on just Showtime being added, as Celeste also being in the match makes it completely in Holmes favour. Not to be denied however, Celeste is currently in the best run of her career from what I’ve seen of here. She came back as a face, which is expected when any wrestler returns, but never seemed to find her place following the AOC angle. One week she would be randomly put into a title opportunity and the next week she would be in a tag team. Now that she’s paired alongside the World Champion, she’s getting full exposure and having some of the best matches of her career. Her win over Drake may be her biggest victory in WZCW and a match verse Showtime can only improve her standings in WZCW. I could see the same thing happening this week to Showtime that happened to Drake, but I’ve already called two matches to end in interference, so I think Showtime will steal a win over Celeste and be added to the Kingdom Come main event verse Holmes and Callahan.

The Middle Card

4065809413_815df7a57e_m.jpg
triple-h-bio.png

Normally when you have a title match on Meltdown or Ascension it is usually the undisputed main event of the show. Not this round anyway as both shows will see huge title matches alongside those three big matches. On Meltdown EurAsian Champion, Triple X, will defend his title for the first time against Chris K.O. I am at a loss as to why this match is happening now as opposed to after Kingdom Come. Maybe it has something to do with the number one contenders tournament debuting after Kingdom Come, but it seems this match was thrown together for the fans in WZCW. A few weeks ago this match was talked about on the first WZCW Podcast as a potential Kingdom Come match by a former creative member, but that was BEFORE Titus returned last round. The Titus/K.O. match does not need the EurAsian Title. It has enough personal issues between the two men that the EurAsian Title will not add much to it. The winner of that match at Kingdom Come should go on to face the World Champion at Redemption. Also if K.O. does win the title, where does that leave Triple X. He won the title due to circumstances created by the roulette rounds, and with Westhoff looking to play a part in the feud verse Strikeforce, Triple X has nothing going into Kingdom Come without the EurAsian Title. It seems I’m calling nothing but interferences now, but look for Triple X to win via Titus costing K.O. the title to further coax him into accepting his challenge at Kingdom Come.

Over on Ascension, the new Elite X Champion John Constantine defends his title against S.H.I.T. This match is a long time coming for S.H.I.T, a character nobody thought would ever amount to much has become one of WZCW’s most consistent performers. It remains to be seen whether he is World Title material, but for a middle card title like the Elite X, he is more than capable to carry around that gold. Trouble is, John Constantine has only just recently won the title, he first ever by the way, and it would be very damaging to his career if he were to lose it so quickly. This is another match I think should’ve happened at Kingdom Come, so I see this match ending in a no decision, allowing Constantine to keep the title, while allowing S.H.I.T a rematch for it. I’m hoping Hunter makes his return and costs S.H.I.T the match, but from what I’ve heard (or lack there of) I think WZCW will have to come up with something more creative for Constantine, S.H.I.T and Barbosa.

One match that is getting a surprising amount of talk around the water cooler is Blade vs Dr. Zeus, which will be a crime if it’s not the main event on Aftershock. Blade needs a feud with someone and this match is a tremendous opportunity for Dr. Zeus. There has been a lot of buzz around Dr. Zeus that has not been seen or heard of in a long time. Everyone seems to have something good to say about WZCW’s newest wrestler. While I don’t think his praise is undeserving yet, there have been wrestlers before him who lit up and burned out faster than a matchstick. Will he be a King Shabba, a Chris Beckford, or a Barbosa? Each of those paths is entirely up for debate. Blade’s new gimmick is slowly catching on and being put in a match verse someone many people are talking about helps get his message across. This matchup does nothing but good for Dr. Zeus, and Blade gets to help a young star develop in the ring and has someone he can help put over, along with himself. I hope these two have a nice long feud against each other. I’m hoping that Blade goes over the rookie and makes him earn his victory at Kingdom Come. That’s how you make an instant star.

The Tag Team Division

Saboteur.png
40558_orig.jpg

The tag team champions, Saboteur and Action Saxton, have been on fire following their complete drubbing of Natural Selection, and on Ascension they face the team of Rush and Sam Smith. This is another match I would’ve picked to happen at Kingdom Come. The only positive by all of this I can think of is that I will have no idea what matches will be that take place at Kingdom Come. A little more than a month ago, the tag team division looked epic. Now with The Bearded Gent gone, Natural Selection in limbo, and Technosa possibly breaking up soon, we are left with only a few teams. Strikeforce claim to be competing in their last match together, and The Sacrificial Alter are0 feuding with them. Rush and Smith are the only team that look like they could defeat the tag team champions. I must admit Rush and Smith looked a little lost in their tag team match verse Technosa. Their first match together in some time could be a reason they had to shake a few cobwebs out. Likely the lack of an official decision to the match made sure they didn’t look weak. I predict that Rush and Smith will go over the champs cleanly. A loss will not hurt them Saxton and Saboteur and it will position Rush and Smith as better challengers. I imagine if this is the match for the tag team titles that there will be some sort of stipulation tied to it that the heels will hate. (Imagine Rush in an Ultimate X match, lol)

In their last match together, James Howard And Mikey Stormrage of Strikeforce take on Mason Westhoff and DC of The Sacrifical Alter on Meltdown. I don’t like the announcement of this being Strikeforce's last match and I could easily see them teaming up again for necessity sake. There could be better ways for them to say they want to compete as singles stars going forward. Still though this match should be a good one and will continue to build towards an eventual battle with TSA at Kingdom Come. (Hey, wouldn’t they be teaming in that match also). Howard picked up the win last round over the return of DC, which I thought was a poor decision that quickly killed DC’s cred. Look for DC to pick of the win for his team, which will help make up for last round with a big victory in Strikeforces final match.

Also worthy of mention is the huge tag team match on Aftershock between four of the greatest Mayhem Champions of all time, Matt Tastic and Alex Bowen team up to face Ace Stevens and the current Mayhem Champion, Vega. Tag Team matches seem to steal the show on Aftershock and I don’t expect any less from this match. All four of these men seem to have beef verse one and other and I could easily see them all facing each other for the Mayhem Title in what could turn out to be the match of the night. Both teams appear very combustible. It is very likely that all four will come to blows after the match, but I think Tastic and Bowen will be of cooler heads and somehow find a way to win first.

The Round Up.

jomo5_crop_340x234.jpg

Some awesome matches to fill out the rest of the shows cards. In no particular order; Mister Alhazred faces off against The Beard on Meltdown. Over on Ascension, Krypto battle Grizzly Bear. This is a continuation of their match at Aftershock last round. Alhazred has been full of tricks up his sleeve since losing his Power glove and I predict he’ll try something that will most likely backfire on him. The Beard should get the win as it would do more help for him than Alhazred. The Grizz has been on fire since his debut and seems primed for a middle card title match following Kingdom Come. Krypto continues to hold possession of the Power Glove and we will most likely see that story with Alhazred continue during both these matches, most likely with hilarious results. They are the Saxton vs Saboteur of this years Kingdom Come and I am looking forward to what they show at Kingdom Come. I predict Grizzly Bear will continue his dominant run with a win in this matchup. I’m holding my breath that The Beard and Grizzly Bear’s inclusion in these matches are more than just a coincidence. Also on Ascension, Grand Mystique faces Derek Jacobs. The leader of STA verse the former weak link. I think Jacobs has potential in WZCW, but mostly in a body guard type situation. I worry that after this feud with STA is over he will float aimlessly on Aftershock. I want to see him paired with a smaller wrestler, like Alhazred, and show his true dominance when called upon. I’m hoping to see Jacobs pull an upset and go over Grand Mystique as the two sides continue to trade off wins. Something to get tensions buzzing and maybe lead to an all out attack of one side the next round. Also on Aftershock, Sandy Deserts competes against Thrash. I don’t see this as being any more than a random pairing, and I think they should’ve instead teamed to take on Carnival of Chaos. Look for Deserts to win. Carnival of Carnage take on Amber Warren and The Angel in his return match. Nice to The Angel returning after his injury. It seems every week we are seeing a new star or returning wrestler. Most seem to not be finding their place in the company. Hopefully The Angel is the one that sticks around for a while. The tag division is beginning to spread thin, so look for COC to get a win at last. And finally Isabel Stone gets her match against the man who broke her neck, Ricky Runn. Isabel has been inconsistent since her return and this is most likely due to the injury sustained by Runn. A match verse Ricky Runn will definitely light a fire under her, but I’m hoping that this WZCW Vixen doesn’t dive headfirst into another disaster. I’m picking Runn to take this match and look dominant as he heads towards a possible battle with STA at Kingdom Come.

Well everyone thank you so much for reading. Be sure to send your replys and comments, and any suggestion you may have about the format or style. This is my first column I want to be sure to write it the best way possible. Enjoy the night as we wait for Meltdown to begin. Tune in later this week for the review of each show and more. This is Cody Mcgarrol saying, "now let's go get drink and play ping pong!" - Number 1 from The Simpsons.

In my experience promising to review shows is the worst thing you can do, people usually get hit with something and can't find the time. I remembered when I said I'd do it and then I could barely find the time to RP for a long time after that.

I like this thing though, although I'd suggest dividing every match in the round up into paragraphs, you don't have to write any more about them but I think they need dividing because my eyes were starting to go funny reading that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back