• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mature Themed PPV

Metalhead0290

Dark Match Winner
I have been thinking about this for a long time. Since there is obviously a lot of support among fans for a return to an attitude era type or at least a TV-14 oriented product, what if WWE produced a PPV each year specifically aimed at this audience?

They are heavily marketing themed PPV's as of recent years with shows such as Hell in a Cell, Elimination Chamber, Money in the Bank, etc. Even when they were TV-14 they produced a more mature PPV which was ECW One Night Stand. That show garnered a TV-MA rating. It's entire selling point was extreme violence.

I think it would be awesome if they could do just ONE PPV per year aimed at this theme(TV-14 not TV-MA, although would be awesome!). Perhaps it could be Extreme Rules since the basis of that show is no-DQ type matches. Or maybe it's a whole new one. Just have one show that is TV-14 and allows them to get a bit edgier and violent for one night. I would love to be able to see Dean Ambrose let loose. His character screams to be in an edgier environment.

The WWE Network has parental controls to block content based on rating. I really think it could work if marketed correctly. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I think I should have titled this thread "Edgier Themed PPV". Thinking about it now, Mature seems a little misleading considering there is such a thing as a TV-MA rating.

I have been thinking about this for a long time. Since there is obviously a lot of support among fans for a return to an attitude era type or at least a TV-14 oriented product, what if WWE produced a PPV each year specifically aimed at this audience?

They are heavily marketing themed PPV's as of recent years with shows such as Hell in a Cell, Elimination Chamber, Money in the Bank, etc. Even when they were TV-14 they produced a more mature PPV which was ECW One Night Stand. That show garnered a TV-MA rating. It's entire selling point was extreme violence.

I think it would be awesome if they could do just ONE PPV per year aimed at this theme(TV-14 not TV-MA, although would be awesome!). Perhaps it could be Extreme Rules since the basis of that show is no-DQ type matches. Or maybe it's a whole new one. Just have one show that is TV-14 and allows them to get a bit edgier and violent for one night. I would love to be able to see Dean Ambrose let loose. His character screams to be in an edgier environment.

The WWE Network has parental controls to block content based on rating. I really think it could work if marketed correctly. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I think I should have titled this thread "Edgier Themed PPV". Thinking about it now, Mature seems a little misleading considering there is such a thing as a TV-MA rating.

Nice to think about, but you need to have a build-up to it, and the talent to execute it. Most of the build-up is to the basics of the PPV. Unless you have FINAL ending feuds, which in the day and age are few and far between, somehing like that is just not worth the time and energy to get a reduced payoff.

I dont see it working cause parents wouldn't want kids to watch a 'mature PPV'. And with WWE advertising, "John Cena to defend his championship at the 'Mature PPV' next Sunday", it is really difficult to make kids not want to watch the PPV.

It'd never work for a variety of reasons.

The chief reason being that it's no longer an "Attitude Era" type of society these days. We live in an age where political correctness has become a religion almost unto itself. Don't get me wrong, I'm personally glad to see some outdated and prejudicial ways of thinking finally being pushed out of the way. The problem is that I believe that political correctness is being pushed to an absurd level because it's gotten to where EVERYTHING is being made into a federal case. You can't say or do anything these days without someone going to Facebook, Instagram Twitter, YouTube or whatever getting upset about it. For instance, say somebody overhears you making an offhand, joking comment about someone wearing a nice suit, immaculately groomed and is obviously of Italian descent is speaking heatedly to someone else on the sidewalk in which you say "I wonder if he's making him an offer he can't refuse." You know, a reference to The Godfather movies. Seriously, someone can stretch that joking comment to such a degree that they consider it an ethnic slur by taking the position of "Oh, so just because an Italian guy dresses nicely and has money, it must mean he's in the mafia." Sometimes, a joke is simply a joke like a rose can be just a rose. There doesn't always have to be some underlying metaphor about everything, that it always has to have some deeper or ulterior meaning under the surface.

Look how bent out of shape people got during the early days of Jack Swagger & Zeb Coulter's "Real Americans" gimmick. People got all torn up because of CM Punk & Paul Heyman "mocking" Jerry Lawler having a heart attack or "disrespecting" the memory of Paul Bearer during the build of Punk's match with Taker at WrestleMania 29. Not long ago, people were criticizing WWE for the Rusev & Lana characters after the plane was shot down in the Ukraine even though the gimmick had previously been going on for several months, long before that tragedy took place.

As far as a "mature themed ppv" goes, it's really sort of ridiculous because "extreme violence" is no longer particularly fashionable in pro wrestling. After all, look at the number of wrestlers who've dropped dead over the course of the past 15 years at young ages. Many of them have died as a result of overdoses of painkillers because their bodies have been so racked with injuries from putting themselves through the hells of "extreme violence" matches over the course of their careers. A lot of wrestlers who're still around who did all the hardcore stuff are suffering the consequences now as they're older. Just take a look at Mick Foley as the only real example you need for that, except Foley was lucky in the sense that he managed to make it into the WWE and make a lot of money. There've been plenty of wrestlers over the years out on the indie scene, wrestling in Japan, Europe, etc. who did the hardcore stuff and they don't have a pot to piss in and could hardly muster the strength to limp over to the pot to piss in it even if they had it.

The negative consequences of wrestlers dying at young ages due, in part, to the damage they'd done to their bodies as wrestlers, especially in light of what happened with Chris Benoit, gained national media attention. Essentially, WWE didn't give a crap what wrestlers were doing, what they put into their bodies or what they did outside the ring as long as it didn't affect their job. When Congress stated it was considering stepping in and regulating WWE, which would essentially take control of the company from Vince, thereby being made Congress' bitch, Vince knew he had to change things not only because it was the right thing to do, but for the sake of business. It's the reason why there are no longer shots with steel chairs to the head, why wrestlers are no longer slammed on top of beds of thumbtacks, why piledrivers aren't used in WWE, etc.

As far as blood goes, I didn't really consider how dangerous it could be for wrestlers to blade during matches. Sometimes, accidents happen in a match to cause someone to bleed, that's just how it is and it's part of the risk a wrestler takes. However, the problem with bleeding is that it's an excellent way to spread viral diseases. In 2007, indie wrestler Devon Nicholson contracted Hepatitis C after wrestling Abdullah the Butcher. Abdullah had the disease for years, didn't inform anyone, he bled all over this kid and transmitted it to him. Earlier this year, he won a $2.3 million lawsuit against Abdullah and the whole thing essentially derailed Nicholson's wrestling career. At the time this happened, Nicholson had signed a deal with WWE but the deal was rescinded after it was discovered Nicholson had contracted Hep C. Reports have said that Nicholson is finally cured, which has taken 7 years of intense treatment. Back in 2005, Bob Orton, Jr. was part of Randy Orton's feud with The Undertaker and at Armageddon 2005, he bled all over Taker and Orton had contracted Hep C as a teenager. Taker was unaware of it, though he found out afterward and flipped out. Orton was fired soon after and alleges that he told Big Johnny about it prior to the match and was told to do it anyhow whereas Big Johnny denies it. Taker got lucky there and managed to avoid infection. It's common knowledge that a lot of wrestlers sleep around, and Hep C can be classified as an STD. Just like HIV, it can be spread through sexual contact or through blood. It's not as if WWE can run blood tests on every single wrestler every single day. In some places, a single blood test can run very high, depending on the test and specifics you want discovered. Even if they could do tests on every single wrestler, which is about 100 for male & female wrestlers, every single day, they'd be out millions of dollars each year.

In addition to what Jack-Hammer said, bleeding in a match is just 3rd rate shit booking and programming. Its disgusting, and blood adds absolutely zero to a match. Zero.

Actually, I disagree. Stone Cold v. Bret Hart is the only time I can remember where the blood actually added to a match.

I've been thinking about something similar to this. We don't need violence to the ECW level extreme, as we all know how hard that is on the wrestlers bodies. However, seeing a *bit* of extra violence (yes, blood can add a whole lot to a match, if used scarcely & properly), a bit more edgy/controversial stories, and just slightly more mature content could be rather beneficial. They went in the opposite direction with "Saturday Slam" or whatever that was, so why not?

With the WWE Network out, it would be the perfect time to do something like this. They need content to sell the Network, and the addition of a weekly late-night more adult-oriented wrestling show could gain a few subscribers. Not just a PPV once a year, but a good weekly show to make people consider it worth-while. It could be a show where the wrestlers can "let loose", so to speak. It may be a bit tricky to intertwine the stories through all the shows, but I'm sure it could be done somehow.

I say again, they don't have to go over-the-top. I don't want to see wrestlers getting their careers/lives shortened. Just put out something that will attract more of the older audience into buying the Network. If it doesn't work out in 6-12 months, scrap it. At least they could then say they tried.

I dont see it working cause parents wouldn't want kids to watch a 'mature PPV'. And with WWE advertising, "John Cena to defend his championship at the 'Mature PPV' next Sunday", it is really difficult to make kids not want to watch the PPV.

Well, the WWE Network has parental controls that block shows by rating so this would be a blocked show. Also, I was thinking that they could market it as being a show where the matches will be unsanctioned. At least the title ones so WWE could say that because these matches will be unsanctioned, they aren't official WWE matches, thus we don't want the titles defended. It could be all about progressing a feud. Imagine an Ambrose and Rollins first blood match. That's just one example.

It'd never work for a variety of reasons.

The chief reason being that it's no longer an "Attitude Era" type of society these days. We live in an age where political correctness has become a religion almost unto itself. Don't get me wrong, I'm personally glad to see some outdated and prejudicial ways of thinking finally being pushed out of the way. The problem is that I believe that political correctness is being pushed to an absurd level because it's gotten to where EVERYTHING is being made into a federal case. You can't say or do anything these days without someone going to Facebook, Instagram Twitter, YouTube or whatever getting upset about it. For instance, say somebody overhears you making an offhand, joking comment about someone wearing a nice suit, immaculately groomed and is obviously of Italian descent is speaking heatedly to someone else on the sidewalk in which you say "I wonder if he's making him an offer he can't refuse." You know, a reference to The Godfather movies. Seriously, someone can stretch that joking comment to such a degree that they consider it an ethnic slur by taking the position of "Oh, so just because an Italian guy dresses nicely and has money, it must mean he's in the mafia." Sometimes, a joke is simply a joke like a rose can be just a rose. There doesn't always have to be some underlying metaphor about everything, that it always has to have some deeper or ulterior meaning under the surface.

Look how bent out of shape people got during the early days of Jack Swagger & Zeb Coulter's "Real Americans" gimmick. People got all torn up because of CM Punk & Paul Heyman "mocking" Jerry Lawler having a heart attack or "disrespecting" the memory of Paul Bearer during the build of Punk's match with Taker at WrestleMania 29. Not long ago, people were criticizing WWE for the Rusev & Lana characters after the plane was shot down in the Ukraine even though the gimmick had previously been going on for several months, long before that tragedy took place.

As far as a "mature themed ppv" goes, it's really sort of ridiculous because "extreme violence" is no longer particularly fashionable in pro wrestling. After all, look at the number of wrestlers who've dropped dead over the course of the past 15 years at young ages. Many of them have died as a result of overdoses of painkillers because their bodies have been so racked with injuries from putting themselves through the hells of "extreme violence" matches over the course of their careers. A lot of wrestlers who're still around who did all the hardcore stuff are suffering the consequences now as they're older. Just take a look at Mick Foley as the only real example you need for that, except Foley was lucky in the sense that he managed to make it into the WWE and make a lot of money. There've been plenty of wrestlers over the years out on the indie scene, wrestling in Japan, Europe, etc. who did the hardcore stuff and they don't have a pot to piss in and could hardly muster the strength to limp over to the pot to piss in it even if they had it.

The negative consequences of wrestlers dying at young ages due, in part, to the damage they'd done to their bodies as wrestlers, especially in light of what happened with Chris Benoit, gained national media attention. Essentially, WWE didn't give a crap what wrestlers were doing, what they put into their bodies or what they did outside the ring as long as it didn't affect their job. When Congress stated it was considering stepping in and regulating WWE, which would essentially take control of the company from Vince, thereby being made Congress' bitch, Vince knew he had to change things not only because it was the right thing to do, but for the sake of business. It's the reason why there are no longer shots with steel chairs to the head, why wrestlers are no longer slammed on top of beds of thumbtacks, why piledrivers aren't used in WWE, etc.

As far as blood goes, I didn't really consider how dangerous it could be for wrestlers to blade during matches. Sometimes, accidents happen in a match to cause someone to bleed, that's just how it is and it's part of the risk a wrestler takes. However, the problem with bleeding is that it's an excellent way to spread viral diseases. In 2007, indie wrestler Devon Nicholson contracted Hepatitis C after wrestling Abdullah the Butcher. Abdullah had the disease for years, didn't inform anyone, he bled all over this kid and transmitted it to him. Earlier this year, he won a $2.3 million lawsuit against Abdullah and the whole thing essentially derailed Nicholson's wrestling career. At the time this happened, Nicholson had signed a deal with WWE but the deal was rescinded after it was discovered Nicholson had contracted Hep C. Reports have said that Nicholson is finally cured, which has taken 7 years of intense treatment. Back in 2005, Bob Orton, Jr. was part of Randy Orton's feud with The Undertaker and at Armageddon 2005, he bled all over Taker and Orton had contracted Hep C as a teenager. Taker was unaware of it, though he found out afterward and flipped out. Orton was fired soon after and alleges that he told Big Johnny about it prior to the match and was told to do it anyhow whereas Big Johnny denies it. Taker got lucky there and managed to avoid infection. It's common knowledge that a lot of wrestlers sleep around, and Hep C can be classified as an STD. Just like HIV, it can be spread through sexual contact or through blood. It's not as if WWE can run blood tests on every single wrestler every single day. In some places, a single blood test can run very high, depending on the test and specifics you want discovered. Even if they could do tests on every single wrestler, which is about 100 for male & female wrestlers, every single day, they'd be out millions of dollars each year.

Even though society is in a phase of being super politically correct, I still think it can work. If you are advertising the show as a TV-14 product then it is not intended for children or people who are sensitive to things. They have the TV ratings system for a reason. It acts essentially as a warning. That's the entire point of it. We have shows all the time that push boundaries in terms of comedy or violence or whatever it may be. I'm not saying WWE needs to push boundaries like the attitude era, but just to get a bit grittier for this event. Why can't WWE? And like I was trying to get at originally, it's just for one night of the year.

In addition to what Jack-Hammer said, bleeding in a match is just 3rd rate shit booking and programming. Its disgusting, and blood adds absolutely zero to a match. Zero.

Actually, I disagree. Stone Cold v. Bret Hart is the only time I can remember where the blood actually added to a match.

As far as blood goes, if used correctly it is a fantastic way to tell a story in the ring. It is a tool in a wrestlers arsenal of showmanship that has been around since the beginning. I understand there are diseases and all that but if it is one night a year where they can get a bit more violent, there is no reason they cannot test the wrestlers just beforehand. Jack Hammer mentioned how expensive this would be, however that would be if they were doing it constantly throughout the year. This is just one night. Plus, they wouldn't need to test everyone necessarily. Just the wrestlers who would be involved in a match where it calls for a blade job.

I've been thinking about something similar to this. We don't need violence to the ECW level extreme, as we all know how hard that is on the wrestlers bodies. However, seeing a *bit* of extra violence (yes, blood can add a whole lot to a match, if used scarcely & properly), a bit more edgy/controversial stories, and just slightly more mature content could be rather beneficial. They went in the opposite direction with "Saturday Slam" or whatever that was, so why not?

With the WWE Network out, it would be the perfect time to do something like this. They need content to sell the Network, and the addition of a weekly late-night more adult-oriented wrestling show could gain a few subscribers. Not just a PPV once a year, but a good weekly show to make people consider it worth-while. It could be a show where the wrestlers can "let loose", so to speak. It may be a bit tricky to intertwine the stories through all the shows, but I'm sure it could be done somehow.

I say again, they don't have to go over-the-top. I don't want to see wrestlers getting their careers/lives shortened. Just put out something that will attract more of the older audience into buying the Network. If it doesn't work out in 6-12 months, scrap it. At least they could then say they tried.

As much as I would love a weekly late night show dedicated to something like this, I feel that is too far of a stretch for today's WWE. It would be a massive feat as is to get them to do one show per year as a TV-14 product, I just think a weekly show wouldn't be able to happen.

Blood is off the table unless it's hardway and even then they're more likely than ever to end the match. Abdullah saw to that with the Devon Nichols incident.

The problem is that to offer a more mature show won't work unless the consequences carry... There'd be nothing worse than an edgier show that has to exist in a "bubble" because they can't use/show anything from it on the PG shows.

IF they were gonna do it, the answer was a whole company based around it...be it WCW or ECW. A whole roster and set of shows geared to the older audience. It CAN be done and perhaps the use of WCW recently and the Monday night Wars could be a sign of it, but it'd take a LOT of capital investment which WWE can't spare. On the plus side it would generate revenue via the Network.

Vince never WANTED to go down the Attitude route, it was the last desperate roll of the dice before he lost the company... it happened to work, but once it had run it's course he was ALWAYS going back to what he knew best...selling to kids.

The problem is that to offer a more mature show won't work unless the consequences carry... There'd be nothing worse than an edgier show that has to exist in a "bubble" because they can't use/show anything from it on the PG shows.

The consequences can carry over because it would be a cool way to heighten a feud by having the more violent stipulation matches. Even if they couldn't show highlights the next night on Raw, they could still talk about it via the announce team describing how brutal it was, interviews with wrestlers, etc. They could also sell certain points by having a wrestler being bandaged, limping, crutches, not being able to appear on Raw the next night or for a few weeks, etc. I honestly think it could work if done right.

While I like the idea of a promotion/brand specifically geared towards the older set, I would not mind seeing a "mature" PPV with the current roster. Imagine John Cena cutting a blue promo so vulgar it makes truckers blush. After he exhausts all swearing for the sake of it, he turns the mic over to the Usos taking turns yelling childish profanities.

Superstars like Ziggler and Fandango could flip off the camera and blade for no reason. Insane stipulations like Big E versus Titus O'Neil in a barbed wire thumb tack inferno lumberjack match. Copious (yet tasteful) Diva nudity.

The announcers can let their hair down and loosen their jowls. JBL and Lawler can easily cross into adult-themed territory. Renee Young can ask scintillating interview questions like: "Why's that ****** got your balls in a knot, Kofi?"

Maybe for a special event like this, Howard Finkel can return and provide a classy delivery for proclamations like: "Your winner... and NEW... FUCKING GAY-ASS CHAMPION GODDAMMIT..."

Bottom line, it would not be unwelcome if WWE let things fly off the rails for a special show... even if it were for one night only.

While I like the idea of a promotion/brand specifically geared towards the older set, I would not mind seeing a "mature" PPV with the current roster. Imagine John Cena cutting a blue promo so vulgar it makes truckers blush. After he exhausts all swearing for the sake of it, he turns the mic over to the Usos taking turns yelling childish profanities.

Superstars like Ziggler and Fandango could flip off the camera and blade for no reason. Insane stipulations like Big E versus Titus O'Neil in a barbed wire thumb tack inferno lumberjack match. Copious (yet tasteful) Diva nudity.

The announcers can let their hair down and loosen their jowls. JBL and Lawler can easily cross into adult-themed territory. Renee Young can ask scintillating interview questions like: "Why's that ****** got your balls in a knot, Kofi?"

Maybe for a special event like this, Howard Finkel can return and provide a classy delivery for proclamations like: "Your winner... and NEW... FUCKING GAY-ASS CHAMPION GODDAMMIT..."

Bottom line, it would not be unwelcome if WWE let things fly off the rails for a special show... even if it were for one night only.

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic the entire time or not. It's hard to tell over the internet. If you are serious, I think you're taking it a little too far in terms of the mature content as I wasn't aiming to promote a TV-MA themed show but rather TV-14 like they used to be. Don't get me wrong though, a TV-MA show would be awesome, but there's no way in hell WWE would do that. The funny thing is they did do a few TV-MA rated PPV's in the past. ECW One Night Stand 2005 and 2006 as well as Fully Loaded 1999 and 2000 are some examples.

It would never work. Attitude era is long over,damn there it ended 15 years ago.. People have moved on,wrestling in itself is more kid friendly and geared towards the youth.. Parents bring their little ones to the events and no one wants to see that. People are more sensitive towards things these days more so than ever..

Look at how when Jack Swagger and Zeb did their anti-immigration thing.. It drew the ire,of people like Glenn Beck (Whoever the fuck he is)and essentially everyone who got butthurt over that,knowing its a storyline,wanted the WWEs head on a pole.. Segments alone like that,cant really be edgy due to the corporate sponsors WWE has to answer too,and their shareholders..

As far as Violence goes in the WWE ring,we can all understand its a contact sport.. Shit happens sometimes,when blood will be shed but only on accident never on purpose like in years past.. Not saying Benoit eliminated all that,but in a way he did.. Thats why you never see chair shots to the dome anymore cept on very rare occassions such as i believe it was WM 2 years ago when Trips hit taker with a chair shot.. They dont play anymore with that.. Their aware of head trauma,concussions,and what have yah..

Piledrivers one of my personal favorite moves is so dangerous that one tiny slip you leave your opponent in a wheelchair for life.. Again no one wants to see that edgier stuff.. That time period has long past us bye..

Paul heyman say it best on Chris jericho's podcast, extreme violence in wrestling is over. The casual wrestling fan as move on and went to watch ufc or other mma show. Wrestling right as become a more family friendly product and wwe won't change the format not even for one show. During the attitude era Wwe wasn't a publicly traded company so they could do what they wanted, now they have sponsored and stock holders to respond to and a more mature them show won't make these guys happy.

Also, why would wwe do something like a tv-14 show if it only the more hardcore fan that would watch it, just look at TNA as the best example. They have a more mature product every week and they get around 1 millions viewers every week which is around 10% of what wwe does every week.

Finally, who do you have on the current wwe roster that could go and do a more mature show. You don't have a lot of them and you won't have guys like cena or Orton wanting to do a show like that. Plus, this would be a show that wouldn't make sense since a tv-14 ppv couldn't be promoted on raw or smack down because of the violence and again because they have stock holders to responded to they won't mention it on TV after the show and it going to be like this show never existed.

Could you image...WWE Presents One Night Only: No Mercy "Attitude or Nothing"......Yea me neither, It screams "Not to be aired on the Network", The way the company is too PG for for that. and Honestly they don't have the stars to do it... Do you think Cena will come out swearing? Kofi not giving a F**K or ZIggler being a Fusion of the Godfather and Val Venus...Then think of this Would AJ Lee and Pagie be little themselves to a Bra and Panties match? It's never gonna happen...hell WWE has ruined that image for ROH(looks at Tommy Champa's Work) and it won't work with TNA(and they are on SPIKE)...its a nice dream a cool thought but we have no chance to seeing it.

I think it would feel strange and forced if WWE had a show once a year, where the guys came out all ECW-ed "I'm gonna fuckin kick your ass!" and then the next night on Raw, were back on some never "Never give up, train hard, the champ is here" rhetoric.

I DO think they could have a show where they let the violence fly a little more, not to excess (because again it would feel forced) but maybe a little blood in a cage match, or maybe have a gimmicked steel chair to give a head shot with, just some elements to give you that "I can't believe that just happened!" rush you would get back in the late '90s/early 2000s without being totally over the top.

Also, why would wwe do something like a tv-14 show if it only the more hardcore fan that would watch it, just look at TNA as the best example. They have a more mature product every week and they get around 1 millions viewers every week which is around 10% of what wwe does every week

The reason TNA doesn't posses more of the market share is because they don't have the history and legacy that WWE has. WWE has fans that have been watching for decades. TNA doesn't have that luxury. As a result, many casual fans probably don't even know TNA exists. WWE simply has the years and as a result, the money advantage over TNA. If TNA actually had a similar budget to WWE, I honestly think they could compete. TNA has some of the best in ring wrestling talent.

I DO think they could have a show where they let the violence fly a little more, not to excess (because again it would feel forced) but maybe a little blood in a cage match, or maybe have a gimmicked steel chair to give a head shot with, just some elements to give you that "I can't believe that just happened!" rush you would get back in the late '90s/early 2000s without being totally over the top.

This is pretty much exactly what I had imagined it would be. I'm not talking about excessive swearing or practically nude Divas. I'm talking about one night, perhaps the Extreme Rules PPV, where the PPV is rated TV-14 and they are allowed to get a bit more violent than what the current product sees.

But isn't that what they are doing right now. Just look at summerslam as a example. Dean ambrose vs Seth Rollins was a match that was awesome and they didn't need to be adult oriented, same goes for the cena\lesnar match and the rusev vs swagger match. I don't think wwe need to return to a more mature product not even for one night mainly because their are ways of having a great product without going to tv-14 route. sure I think you could have some blood when the story of the match demand it but violence for the sake of violence won'ts sell not even for one night.

We just had a guy get curbstomped on the head onto cinderblocks. I think some of the stuff on here that was discussed can fly. The bottom line is the majority of their audience are adults, not kids. Why cater your product to a smaller portion of your audience? Besides if kids can still watch South Park and play violent video games they can watch a TV14-DLV WWE like they've done up until 2008. All of these shows out there push the envelope yet have high viewership so why can't WWE? They won't go out of business or bankrupt should they choose to go back to TV-14.

When I watch HIAC matches or Chambers I expect to see some blood hardway or not. Otherwise it just insults my intelligence. Imagine how more epic HHH's beatdown would have been if blood was involved. As for Vince not wanting to do "attitude", well once it ended, he had such kid-friendly ideas like making Trish get on her knees and bark, the Kiss My Ass Club, Katie Vick and himself being the father of Stephanie's baby(though the last one never materialized on tv).

We just had a guy get curbstomped on the head onto cinderblocks. I think some of the stuff on here that was discussed can fly. The bottom line is the majority of their audience are adults, not kids. Why cater your product to a smaller portion of your audience? Besides if kids can still watch South Park and play violent video games they can watch a TV14-DLV WWE like they've done up until 2008. All of these shows out there push the envelope yet have high viewership so why can't WWE? They won't go out of business or bankrupt should they choose to go back to TV-14.

When I watch HIAC matches or Chambers I expect to see some blood hardway or not. Otherwise it just insults my intelligence. Imagine how more epic HHH's beatdown would have been if blood was involved. As for Vince not wanting to do "attitude", well once it ended, he had such kid-friendly ideas like making Trish get on her knees and bark, the Kiss My Ass Club, Katie Vick and himself being the father of Stephanie's baby(though the last one never materialized on tv).

Exactly! Also, I never understand how you can possibly market a show based on fighting towards children. Fighting is inherently violent and oftentimes bloody. Look at UFC or boxing. They are showing real fights and are TV-14. Guys bleed in real life fights. By not allowing some tasteful placement of blood in certain situations, WWE is detracting from the illusion that the wrestlers are fighting. Batista said it perfectly in his interview on Jericho's podcast. He said that WWE is going against everything the business is about and are taking away wrestlers tools of the trade and from the art-form that is professional wrestling. Especially in this so called "reality era", this should be even more so of a problem. Reality means real so if the WWE is trying to go for the reality TV approach, they need to add some realism.

Violent? Like garbage matches? That stuff is so played out. And edgier like bra and panties matches or 80 year old boobies? No thanks. Maybe there aren't enough tag teams named after dick jokes. Is that what you're missing? I'm not really sure what people are asking for when they say they want a more "Attitude era" like product. Maybe they just want Stone Cold and the Rock back and have forgotten how corny the WWF was during that time period. I guess some people really do miss the days of John Wayne Bobbit saving Val Venis from betting his junk cut off with a samurai sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back