• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Matches and angles you want to see John Cena in

John Cena has really taken a backseat these past two years and only appears rarely for one-time only matches on television. John Cena has already faced off all the hot talent WWE has: Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Finn Balor, Bray Wyatt, Shinsuke Nakamura, AJ Styles, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, Baron Corbin, The Miz, Cesaro, Elias, Braun Strowman, Rusev. There's only one name missing and that's Samoa Joe. They've been teasing this feud ever since Steptember, but it always gets postponed due to Joe's injuries.

So, after Joe, what's left for Cena to do?

For me the answer is simple. While John Cena has faced all of these talents, most of them was an one-off match, with no real build-up or heat behind it. No story. Now I know it's going to be hard to get Cena into long-running storylines, due to his part-time schedule, but I think that's the way to go. KO vs Cena and Styles vs Cena were all money-making long feuds. I think that's the way they should go with Cena in the future. I'd like to see the following:

Feud with Samoa Joe
Joe needs to be built as a destroyer. So when him and Cena first face off. Joe has to destroy Cena. Make him pass out in the Clutch (maybe even make him tap) and then write Cena off TV. That will turn Joe in an instant monster. So then, you give Joe a world title. With Joe as a strong heel champion, you then book a return angle for Cena after 3-4 months. Cena first has to become the #1 contender. You put Cena in the chasing position for a while. After Cena finally becomes the #1 contender, you book Joe vs Cena for the world title at one of the big 4. There Cena can become a 17-time world champ after a hot feud with Joe. After that, they can book an Ironmatch between the two or a Submission match, where Joe wins the title back and just like that, you have your new Brock Lesnar. I think this can be Cena's big feud for 2018.

Cena vs Nakamura at Wrestlemania 35/36
Nakamura will most likely beat AJ Styles at Wrestlemania and start his main event run with the company. John Cena should be the opponent he faces at Wrestlemania 35 or 36. John Cena, as great as he is, never really had an outstanding match at Wrestlemania, other than his match with HBK. And since the two of them have only faced off once on Smackdown, I think Nak and Cena can deliver a near 5-star match at Wrestlemania.

Cena vs heel Dean Ambrose
Cena and Ambrose were straight fire in their promo battles on SD last year. So when Dean finally turns, Cena should be one of his big targets. We never got a long feud with Cena and Dean and heel Ambrose vs face John Cena, I think that will be very good TV.

Legend vs Underdog; John Cena vs Finn Balor
First things first, the Demon King gimmick is stupid. And no, I don't mean the face paint, I mean the fact that Finn getting a power-up. That's stupid. It will make Finn's career predictable and actually limit his ceiling. So, they need to drop this power-up shit.
Facts: Regular Finn Balor looks like a child with a fake beard. Demon King is larger than life.
Enter John Cena. Cena will keep beating Balor week-in and week-out. Tag matches? Cena pins Balor. Multi-man matches? Cena pins Balor. One-on-ones? Cena pins Balor. So Balor says Cena will face the Demon King at a PPV. Surprise mathafucka. Cena beats the Demon King. Why? Here's why. Finn will change his appearence. His regular state will be a hybrid between Demon and Human (aka: a little bit of face paint and a different attire, one that's not so freaking generic). Full paint Demon King is still being kept for big PPVs. But Finn needs to look larger than life and at the rest of the events. The story here will be: Finn and the Demon have finally become one. Enter the hybrid. Enter the Demon Prince Finn Balor (in homage to Prince Devitt, also similar to King. The hybrid). That will be Finn Balor's regular appearence. The Demon Prince finally beats Cena clean, with the excuse that Finn is now at peace with his inner demons.

Cena puts over The Miz
Cena and The Miz are like the total polar opposites. Here's the kicker though. Cena just brings the best out of the Miz. Every time Cena and The Miz are in the same ring, it's the same story: The Miz tries so hard to surpass Cena and take the spotlight from him. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. My dream scenario is that either Miz retires Cena or Cena retires The Miz. I know, I know, most people would like to see Orton retire Cena or vise-versa. But I think we got enough Cena vs Orton for the rest of our lives. According to cagematch.net, they have faced off 20 times in TV shows and PPVs (Cena is 13-7 for those interested). At least have The Miz beat Cena clean at some point or do something big to him, like end his 17th title reign.

Cena vs Reigns saga
I was really dissapointed in the Reigns vs Cena feud. I honestly thought that their match could have been way better than what it was and could have told a better story and I really liked their promos and the way Cena talked to Reigns. I think this had all the tools to become a hot long feud, something like HBK v Jericho from 2008. I really hope we get it in the future.

Let's get deeper into the world of fantasy..

WWE vs Japan; Survivor Series, streaming live on the WWE Network from Tokyo
John Cena, Randy Orton & The New Day vs AJ Styles, Shinsuke Nakamura & The Balor Club
One can dream right?

Jeff Hardy vs John Cena
10 years too late, but who cares? The crowd will eventually remember who Jeff Hardy and they will once again get red hot for him. Jeff vs Cena in a Ladder match.

John Cena in a tag team/coaching a rookie
People always talk about putting Orton and Cena in a tag team together? Why? Do you want to see the entire roster get buried underneath? I have a better idea. Pair a rookie with Cena and form a team short of like, teacher and student. Jason Jordan will most likely miss the rest of 2018. When he comes back, sometime after WM 35, repackage him and team him with Cena. WWE can use Cena's bipolar heat to get even more heat on Jason and when the right time comes, Jordan turns on Cena. Or it can be another rookie.

Tag team with Roman Reigns
Want to see the most hated tag team in action? Well, here it is. John Cena and Roman Reigns. They are so different in character that this can turn into great TV. This could turn the tag division into a main event division and when Cena and Reigns finally lose the belts.. well, maybe it's time for that long Cena vs Reigns feud I talked about.

That's all I got for now.

What about you?

While i don't see Cena retiring anytime soon, i do see him taking more and more down time as the years past. Also, like mention, they pretty much did all the dream matches already on T.V or PPV so what's left for him to do really.

Personally at this point in the game, i would use him the way they are using him, as a special attraction. If he's able to stay for a couple of months, pull the Trigger on a feud with whoever is the WWE champion at the time and tell the story of him trying to finally beat Ric Flair's record. That in itself is a money making story especially if you give him that 17th title reign at the end of the story. He doesn't really need to keep the championship for long and could drop it to somebody within the month or even the following week on Smackdown but just the fact that he beat the record will make money if done well

Another feud i would love to see is Cena vs Strowman. I know they face each other in the past but it's been so long since they had a one on one match that i feel that having a strong feud with Strowman would be the final push Strowman needs to be looked at as a main event star.

Lastely, Why not give Roman reigns vs Cena another try, while i didn't like what they did the first time mostly because Cena's promo hurt Roman as a top character, i did love the match overall because i told a really good story throughout. But the fact that it was a b level PPV did hurt it. Imagine if you build up this feud a complete different way and you do the match at a summerslam or wrestlemania, how big the match will look in the end.

Like him or not, Cena is the right guy to break Flair's record. His run under the current work schedule is nothing short of monumental. I don't see anyone coming close for a long time. That's reason enough to break Flair's record in my opinion (and from what I've read, Flair's opinion too).

That being said, I'd love to see two more big angles for Cena. Chasing his 17th reign, and holding his 17th reign. Face whoever is the champ with the deliberate motivation of Cena chasing history. Once he does so, he revisits an older angle, the John Cena Open Challenge, with the WWE title of course. Give him the main event of Monday Night Raw or Smackdown Live for an ungodly number of defenses. Then for a bit of poetry, make his workload a plot point. Have Cena get worn out by the constant high-demand matches until the perfect storm of father time, burning out and the right guy to dethrone Cena all converge.

It's better to burn out, than to fade away...

A 4 on 1 Handicap Retirement Match

John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar,Braun Strowman,The Undertaker & Kane

It probably won't happen, but I'd like to see John Cena break Flair's record for most World Championship reigns by winning the Universal Championship from Brock at Wrestlemania 34. It would be good for the Universal Championship's prestige to be involved in such a historical moment. Plus, it also spares us from having to see the rumored Roman VS Brock match. Cena's 17th World Championship should be the Universal Championship and doing this on the biggest show of the year would make it all the better. Or maybe he could team up with Seth Rollins during the next couple of PPV cycles. Poor Seth keeps losing tag team partners to injuries. The two of them have some history and teaming would add more to their history while also adding more to the tag team division on the red brand. It's more likely to happen than my Universal Championship match suggestion.

It probably won't happen, but I'd like to see John Cena break Flair's record for most World Championship reigns by winning the Universal Championship from Brock at Wrestlemania 34. It would be good for the Universal Championship's prestige to be involved in such a historical moment. Plus, it also spares us from having to see the rumored Roman VS Brock match. Cena's 17th World Championship should be the Universal Championship and doing this on the biggest show of the year would make it all the better. Or maybe he could team up with Seth Rollins during the next couple of PPV cycles. Poor Seth keeps losing tag team partners to injuries. The two of them have some history and teaming would add more to their history while also adding more to the tag team division on the red brand. It's more likely to happen than my Universal Championship match suggestion.

Just a question out of curiosity. If you have Cena face Lesnar at Wrestlemania, who would you have Reigns face?

Just a question out of curiosity. If you have Cena face Lesnar at Wrestlemania, who would you have Reigns face?

Just do a triple threat match between the three of them. Have reigns and cena be the last 2 guy in the elimination chamber match and they eliminate each other, so you have for the first time ever co winners of the elimination chamber match. If you want, you can do a rematch on raw between the 2 we're they both get dq or something which leads to angle saying that at mania, it will be lesnar defending the universal title against reigns and cena.

Strowman is one of the only big names on the full time roster Cena hasn't feuded with. Although it might be difficult to book with both being faces. Maybe a heel Bobby Roode would be a fresh opponent for Cena. Roode is someone who has some name value and is solid in the ring. Mahal vs Cena was rumoured for Wrestlemania during Jinder's title run. I would've liked to see Mahal carry the title until Mania and then drop to Cena for his record breaking title win. But it's not too late to book a full blown feud again. Perhaps Cena can elevate Mahal to main event status again

WCW World Heavyweight Championship (8 times)
WCW International World Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
NWA World Heavyweight Championship (9 times)
WWF World Heavyweight Championship (2 times)

from this TRUE COUNT...NOT WWE REVISIONIST HISTORY.
Ric is a 21 time World champion

Cena will win #17 and pass WWE's Flair count but long time fans know the truth. I do see Cena having a fued with Braun and it will be good but Braun comes out on top going on to face Roman(if they keep their plans) at either Summer Slam or Suvivor Series for the U.T. Then hopefully NEXT YEAR's WM will be the end of Cena's "Full Time" always near the championship.

WCW World Heavyweight Championship (8 times)
WCW International World Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
NWA World Heavyweight Championship (9 times)
WWF World Heavyweight Championship (2 times)

from this TRUE COUNT...NOT WWE REVISIONIST HISTORY.
Ric is a 21 time World champion

Cena will win #17 and pass WWE's Flair count but long time fans know the truth. I do see Cena having a fued with Braun and it will be good but Braun comes out on top going on to face Roman(if they keep their plans) at either Summer Slam or Suvivor Series for the U.T. Then hopefully NEXT YEAR's WM will be the end of Cena's "Full Time" always near the championship.

5 of Flair's NWA title wins weren't sanctioned by the NWA and thus aren't recognized by pundits, previous/current wrestling companies (WWE, WCW/NWA) or even Flair himself who refers to himself as a 16-time World champion. During his "time off" from the NWA (his schedule included two weeks off in a 5 week period back then) Flair would wrestle in South America, predominantly Puerto Rico, and would book himself to lose the NWA title in order to drum up interest for a rematch with the local hero in which he would then regain the strap before going back to the States.

NWA didn't give a shit because; 1. There was very little coverage by US mags in South America (as opposed to in Japan or Mexico), and nobody would be any the wiser that Flair had ever lost the title and 2. He would always (obviously) come back with the belt. Still, the title losses and wins weren't sanctioned and as a result aren't, and shouldn't mind you, be recognized.

As for the thread, the only program I really want to see is Braun/Cena for the Universal title. Cena would be able to make Braun look like a million bucks probably better than Roman did. Plus, it would be really fucking fun. Oh, and I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Lesnar/Cena again. It's been long enough and with both guys in a relative limbo nowadays, it could be fun to see which direction they take it.

I still want to see the Cena heel turn. It doesn't have to be a long term deal but at least a few month run.How I would do it would also be a situation where he puts over someone who could be the next Punk/Bryan level face, Johnny Gargano. Let Gargano maintain his awesome matches but not be able to finish run. Have him lose the feud with Ciampa. Then have Cena go after tag team gold. Cena being the ultimate giver to the fans lets us vote on who we want his partner to be. Whether legit or fixed have Gargano be the over whelming choice. Now here's the key in every tag match Gargano gets beat down and hits Cena for the hot tag and eventual win. In the match that lose the tag titles its Gargano that takes the fall. Now thru out the whole run show Cena basically being a mentor/coach by trying to encourage Gargano but also be stern with him that he has to start carrying his weight in matches. After they lose Cena snaps on Gargano. Leads to a Survivor Series match where Cena dominates for the most part but Gargano is his resilient self not giving up and then bam he hits Cena with a shocking, clean win. Crowd would go absolutely ape-shit.

Since Cena has faced everyone at the top of the company at least once, why not have him turn heel and get some full blown heat? While this doesn't technically answer who he should face, it would end the mixed chants from the crowd and it would open up more opportunities to have him take on faces and help put them over. He could help with Apollo Crews and some of the newer NXT guys to get over. Heck, have him face Big Show for Show's final match and have Show put him in his place, like any normal person would expect with the size disparity between the two of them.

Personally I would love to see him turn heel I think its been a long time coming, So many big name fan favourites he is yet to feud with, Also a few years ago when he first started in the WWE he was good at playing a heel, I remember the impact Hogan made being the main fan favourite for years when he turned heel in the late 90's. An extended feud with the top new fan favourite Roman Reigns could be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back