Mad Max: Fury Road

enviousdominous

Behold my diction
The verdict is in; damn near everyone who's seen the movie, loved the movie. The latest installment of the Mad Max franchise holds a 98% rating of approval on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm right there with them in fully approving of this movie.

What I'd first like to recognize is the ways in which the second Mad Max movie inspired the pro-wrestling world.

Mad Max: The Road Warrior was released in 1981. Just a year later a man named Joseph Laurinaitis debuted as a biker known as "The Road Warrior, as we all know he and Michael Hegstrand would go on to dominate the tag team division over every pro-wrestling faction they were ever a part of as The Road Warriors.

The Humongous (who appeared in film a year before Jason Voorhees would sport a similar look) was the lead villain of Mad Max: The Road Warrior, clad in leather BDSM gear while wearing a hockey mask. Three years later an exact copy of The Humongous known as Lord Humongous would debut on CWA, and various names to include Sid Eudy would perform as one of pro-wrestling's first true monsters.

The Lord Humongous character would be copied also, most notably as the tag team Demolition and least notably as Ta-Gar: Lord of the Volcano.

Now that that history lesson is all out of the way, Mad Max: Fury Road.

Max is a tough as nails nomad who finds himself caught in circumstances that dictate his actions through an innate sense of survival. He's not depicted as your typical paragon of good, he saves others because doing so is most convenient for his ability to carry on comfortably.

I've heard a few people (enough to cause controversy apparently) claim that this movie was meant to be a subtle attempt at emasculating men by depicting strong women. I honestly don't recall seeing a single scene where being female is depicted as a natural trump card for a man's capabilities. This movie takes place in a desolate wasteland where population control is dictated by lack of useful resources, men and women would likely be more concerned with enduring the nuclear fallout and surviving on what little they can scavenge. Women are depicted as tough because they would have to be, not because being a tough woman would mean that men are comparably weaker. My two cents.

Charlize Theron plays Furiosa (or "a Furiosa" depending on what nerd you ask), a woman who rebels against a higher power for the purpose of upholding her sense of righteousness. Her attitude and determination are truly the driving (no pun intended) force behind the plot of this movie. While her intentions are shown to have been very foolish in terms of planning and execution, she circumstantially must combine her efforts with Max to make the most of a poorly thought out endeavor. I don't see her character as a symbol of female empowerment, I see her as more of a realistic interpretation of the often misguided concept of hope.

The main villain, who geeks like me may recognize as being played by the same actor who played the main villain from the very first Mad Max movie, is Immortan Joe. Immortan is a water baron who -- through controlling that life giving resource -- is able to employ his wicked policies onto those who depend on his generosity. When his vengeful rage is triggered, he leads a convoy of bizarre sadists on a mission to retrieve what has been stolen from him and obliterate those who dared challenge his dominance.

I thought of it as 300 meets Fast and Furious. You have the fascinating weirdness of random characters that have adapted to their dystopia in beautifully strange ways, and you have the speed and mayhem of a war fought mostly with the use of elaborately decorated death machines on wheels.

From start to finish, this movie grants you an edge of your seat interpretation of an opera where the protagonists are monster trucks with gun turrets. Action, mayhem, grit and a satisfying ending. I loved it.

Wife and I went and saw it last night. I was thoroughly impressed. Might be the purest action movie I've seen in more than a decade. I'm not sure what the last I even saw was that was this enjoyable, deep and meaningful, and so well-acted.

I peeped it last weekend online, mainly due to being a fan of the trilogy when I was a kid. I dug it for the most part, so I have no complaints. The character of Max is pretty much the same; typical anti-hero trying to survive gets thrust into a situation where he needs to assist underdogs in their quest to break free of whatever their circumstance maybe. It was straight to the point of what it should be, straight up action that's not absolutely mindless.

I'm glad the verdict is as positive as it is, but I hope fans of the film are considering practical effects (as opposed to CGI effects) as a factor of what made the movie fun. The only "CGI sin" was the dust storm, which I can forgive since it was important to the narrative.

It was the most fun I've had in a film cinema all year. I hope that statement is cred, because I'm legit a Marvel fanboy.

"WE LIVE! WE DIE! WE LIVE AGAIN!"

I went to see this movie with a friend who had already seen it and, given his recommendation, was really excited about it in actual fact. And sure, the more view was a good bit of fun. My particular highlight of the film was watching the mobile band continue to play when Joe was on the rampage; that was freaking awesome.

But I just haven't been able to get aboard the hype train that everyone else seems to be riding right now. I thought it was a good action movie but that's really all it was. If you're looking for Constant action then look no further. And like I said, I enjoyed it. But it just left me feeling unsatisfied by the end. Truly, I can't put my finger on what it could have done to be better but I felt it lacked something.

But I just haven't been able to get aboard the hype train that everyone else seems to be riding right now. I thought it was a good action movie but that's really all it was. If you're looking for Constant action then look no further.

Same thing here. Though I can certanly pinpoint whats wrong and its: story thats almost nonexisting, Mad Max just as sidekick to Furiosa, almost no character depth whatsoever, lame villains. I swear I couldnt care less if
Furiosa lived or died at the end and she is character with most of depth and main character of movie
. Which goes to show how bad they did in making peaple care about characters.

Good action, but thats just it. :)

Same thing here. Though I can certanly pinpoint whats wrong and its: story thats almost nonexisting, Mad Max just as sidekick to Furiosa, almost no character depth whatsoever, lame villains. I swear I couldnt care less if
Furiosa lived or died at the end and she is character with most of depth and main character of movie
. Which goes to show how bad they did in making peaple care about characters.
Good action, but thats just it. :)

To be honest, I definitely see where you are coming from with this and I have to agree with you. And I totally agree that I couldn't have cared less what happened to Furiosa in the end. For me, she was the least likeable character in the entire film and that includes Joe.

One thing that really bothered me about the movie, now that I'm able to think on it, was...

The fact that the story was completely ridiculous. And yes, I am aware of how ridiculous it is supposed to be. But frankly, having the conclusion of the story be that they have to return to where they came from at the start of the movie, despite trying their hardest to escape it, is a massive fuck you to the audience. I get that they tried to get somewhere first of all. But I just thought it was stupid. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back