• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

M.O.T.Y. - Hulk Hogan vs The Rock, 2002

Hogan vs Rock '02 - Match of the Year?

• Yes, Match of the Year

• No, I Have a Better One

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Ok sports fans, part two of my "Match of the Year" installment looks at the epic match between "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan and The Rock from Wrestlemania X8.

Similar to what we discussed about the Foley vs Undertaker match, the Hogan vs Rock match was the setting of one of the best clips of WWE video in history. When these two men faced off in the center of the ring and the fans started marking out for the legend of the past and the legend of the present, the slow and opposite side head turns were amazing. There was the realization that these two men would not have an ordinary wrestling match, and that there would be no feud, no tension, no animosity. What started out as a war between a heel nWo Hogan and The Rock turned into a match of appreciation.

This also marked perhaps the only time in history when the fans in attendance said "We know this is supposed to be heel Hogan vs face Rock, but we don't want that. We want face Hogan vs face Rock, and that's how it is going to be." This match alone proves that the fans, when loud and organized, still have the greatest measure of control on the wrestling business.

But was it Match of the Year?

You help decide!

Hmmm.... it was a great match that usually gets called 'overrated' on by the IWC, but MOTY? Eh, I can't really argue. It wouldn't be my personal winner for MOTY in 2002, but I completely understand why someone would have it as theirs. The crowd and atmosphere for the match was just incredible, and both performers were top notch that night. Very, very fun match.

However, 2002's MOTY comes down to four matches in my book:

Kurt Angle vs. Edge at Backlash 2002 - These two had a great feud in 2002, and this was the best match out of it in my opinion. If you watch Backlash, the crowd is dead the entire night (a night that included HHH vs. Hogan for the first time ever), but they were on their feet for this one. The drama and false finishes just had the crowd going nuts. Awesome match.

Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit vs. Edge & Rey Mysterio at No Mercy - Probably the greatest tag match in WWE history. The show these four put on that night was just beyond fantastic.

Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker in a Hell in a Cell match at No Mercy - Another match from 2002's No Mercy, and it's my favorite HITC match ever outside of HBK vs. The Undertaker. I'm a big fan of both these guys, and I loved the build-up to this match and the story these guys told that night. Heyman also played a fantastic part in it as well.

Bryan Danielson vs. AJ Styles at ROH's All Star Extravaganza - Wow... this was the first time I ever had the pleasure of seeing Danielson compete in the ring, and what a fucking treat. The match these two wrestlers put on was such a great show of athletic ability and pure wrestling. Danielson and Styles have tremendous chemistry together, and they showed it in this match, which was their first time ever facing each other to my knowledge.

So you have Hogan the heel, acting as a face to steal The Rocks heat. That's right isn't it?

Crap match. It's the biggest of 2002 for sure. It got one of the best reactions I've ever heard. It's still not very good. Hogan and The Rock are two very simialr wrestler. They very raley deviated from their usual routines. This match is just both of them posing for a little, then The Rock doing a bit of work, Hogan Hulking Up, Rock beating him down, finish. I say it's crap, it's not really. It's fine, ok, nothing special. If you're a rock fan, or a Hogan fan, of which I am neither I'm sure you'll love it.

Best of 2002 could go to a number of matches of that years Summer Slam. HBK/HHH, Benoit/RVD, Angle/Rey or Rock/Brock.

Hogan/Rock was garbage compared to the Benoit/Angle v Edge/Rey match. I just watched both again on youtube, thetag match was fucking awesome.

Crazy spots, like edge throwing rey around like a rag doll to hurt his opponent, the multiple counters.That match has to be the best match I have scene, period. Absolutely stunning

I didnt get to see a whole ton of wrestling during this year, but im aware of this match from the DVDs its been on. Little more than a posedown-finisher contest, but still castly entetaining, especially from someone who is a huge mark for crowd heat. Jakes assesment is pretty accurate. Its fine, nothing bad, nothing special, and certainley neither mans best work. It has to be in the top 5 ever as far as crowd reaction though. Probably top 3.

This match goes to show that just Hulk Hogan being their can make a match seem great. The guy walks through the curtain and the crowd is instantly into the match. This was no technical masterpiece or display of wrestling moves be any means but the showdown was enough on its own. At this point in his career Hulk could walk out at Wrestlmania and take a shit in the ring and the crowd would erupt (someone may even try to steal Hulk's Mania poo). These two knew what had to be done and they pulled of the match the only way it could have been.

I don't know what people's expectation for this match were but I think they need to look at what two superstars were in the ring. The reason there were so many finishers is because it was Rock vs Hogan. Two of the biggest comeback kings in the history of the business. Of course Hogan is going to go down to just one Rock Bottom and of course Rocky can kick out of the big boot and leg drop. This match made sense in the way it was pulled off. The whole concept was two see these legends throw every move in their arsenal and see who comes out on top. For anyone that found this match boring I would like to know what you expected.

To be honest, I've never seen this match, but from what I heard, it wasn't that great. However, the aura around it was phenomenal and epic. That being said, I do not think it deserves MOTY honor. I believe either the Elimination Chamber (which from scanning above posts seems to be left out, if not I apologize) or the No Mercy tag match deserves it. They both solidified stars and made new ones, which I think should be at least a thought in choosing MOTY

i'm sure there will be plenty of people to come in and talk about how this match wasn't a technical masterpiece and blah blah blah. At some point these people will realize that professional wrestling is not about that and never has or will be. it's about the biggest match, the biggest money making match, and the match everybody wants to see. This was def the match of the year. I will say that smackdown circa 2002-2004 had some of the best quality matches ever in the wwe with the likes of Edge, Eddie, Beniot, Angle, Rey and Chavo, Taker and Brock Lesnar. My second choice, actually a very very close second to Rock/Hogan would be HHH vs HBK at summerslam. That match was gr8, and the fact that HBK hadn't been wrestling for 4 years is ridiculous that he could pull off such a great match.

so my top 2
Rock/Hogan
HHH/HBK

I have to say that spectacle wise Hogan Vs Rock could be the BEST match ever! But as far as Match of the Year I always think a real match deserves the top spot, so off the top of my head HHH vx HBK Streetfight from Summerslam gets my vote!

I also say HHH vs HBK's Summerslam street fight was the Match of the Year. The moment when Hogan and Rock did the on-the-fly rewrite of the match is iconic and awesome, but the match between HBK and HHH was so important.

Both men worked so well creating a feeling of hatred - DX splits up and the two worlds collide. Shawn Michaels back after doctors said his career was absolutely over. HHH - the top heel at the time, and HBK with his instant face heat created such a polarizing twosome. Even Eric Bischoff's work trying to cancel it and claiming it was "unsanctioned" added to the potential. So often these hyped matches don't deliver - but HBK vs HHH did.

It amazes me the people on here that say the match was nothing "special." The only people who could say that are those who started watching wrestling later than this time or right around this time. Hogan vs. Rock was amazing. Simply put. Here are the 2 biggest names, arguably of all time (including Austin, Flair, and a few others, that's why I said arguably) and the spectacle of this was amazing. The story leading up was so tense and great. Anyone who watches this match and does not see the magic in it, especially with crowd's reaction, which I was a part of in the Skydome, does not understand the dynamics of sports entertainment. Any Hogan match can be watched and one could say, eh, it was just ok. You have to look at it from a Vince point of view. The Hugan Rock match was not only MOTY, but possibly one of the best matches ever, not technically, but history making!

Yes, Hogan/Rock was the match of the year. Followed by HHH/HBK (HHH's last great one on one match).

Hogan and Rock are 2 of the 3 biggest stars ever in professional wrestling. The fact that the crowd was so into the match is an indication of how good it was, and how good Hogan and Rock were as wrestlers. They worked the crowd so well, the psychology was great, so too was the storytelling. There isn't really much else you can ask for in a wrestling match.

This match is what sports entertainment is all about, and will forever go down as a true classic.

It amazes me the people on here that say the match was nothing "special." The only people who could say that are those who started watching wrestling later than this time or right around this time.

I say it, and I grew up watching wrestling in the late 80's.

Hogan vs. Rock was amazing. Simply put. Here are the 2 biggest names, arguably of all time (including Austin, Flair, and a few others, that's why I said arguably) and the spectacle of this was amazing.

People get it wrong when it comes to The Rocks popularity. He was a very distant second to Austin. Wrestling wise I'd put Flair, Savage, Hogan, Warrior, Austin, Hogan & Undertaker over him anyday.

The story leading up was so tense and great. Anyone who watches this match and does not see the magic in it, especially with crowd's reaction, which I was a part of in the Skydome, does not understand the dynamics of sports entertainment.

The lead up to the match was terrible. The match only happened because Austin turned it down. If The Rock & Hogan feud was so tense they wouldn't have had to resort to hitting The Rock with a huge truck. The Rock & Hogan could/should have gotten the match over without that angle.

Any Hogan match can be watched and one could say, eh, it was just ok. You have to look at it from a Vince point of view. The Hugan Rock match was not only MOTY, but possibly one of the best matches ever, not technically, but history making!

It could be considered important. I doubt there'll ever be a match again that get's that sort of reaction. But what came after it that makes it important? Austin/HBK had a new era, same with Warrior/Hogan, Taker/Mankind in a Hell In A Cell changed a hell of a lot more in wrestling.

What did this change, nothing really. It was just a big match on a big card. Other than a Hogan face turn there was no aftermath.

I started watching wrestling in 1985, so fair to say I saw both Hulkamania and the rise of the Rock, and for me, like Jake said, this match was nothing special. The crowd was the only reason this match was remotely watchable. Without the crowd, this match would have been just as bad if not worse then Hogan's previous adventure in Canada and Wrestlemania.

This match had nothing, nothing at all. It was the return of Hogan, and that's all anyone cared about. This is another example of smarks "ruining" the match. Without the smarks, it would have been heel Hogan vs. Face Rock, but the crowd turned it into something worth watching.

The exact opposite of this match was Goldberg vs. Lesnar. Instead of being cheered, the NYC crowd booed the holy hell out of those two, in an equally as bad match. That match was great, for all of the wrong reasons. Much like Hogan vs. Rock, the match was great, but not for reasons people have listed. So if you're not willing to acknowledge Brock vs. Goldberg as match of the year, you can't acknowledge this crapfest as match of the year. Outside of name value, not match of the year.

The match of the year, and surprise surprise, I can say something nice about the Kliq, was without question HBK vs. Triple H at Summerslam. What a damn good match. It was the culmination of 4 years of what ifs in the business? Was Michaels capable of having a good match, yes. Was Triple H ever in Shawn Michaels league, no.

I think the match was good nothing special though. I dont think it is MOTY I liked HBK/HHH more and that should have been MOTY. Rock vs Hogan was kinda like HBK/Hart good nothing special though and overrated. My favorite thing about the match was the crowd. I didnt like the build up at all and it should have been Austin/Hogan the two biggest wrestling superstars of all time I think that would have drew alot more because although The Rock was popular he wasnt even close to Austin. I dont think it should have been MOTY but it was decent

I watched the match on TV and honestly, it was an awful match. It was Goldberg/Lesnar, only the crowd were actually into this one. My personal choice is the mentioned Edge/Rey vs Angle and Benoit. The Street fight comes second because it lived up to the hype.

The Hogan match just didn't work. the heel gets cheered, the face gets booed and half the match was pretty much a pose down by hogan. Yes, it marked the return of face Hogan...but it single handedly destroyed the nWo angle that was going on at that time.
My Verdict = it got the fans interested, but only because of who was in it, not the match itself

i gotta say the best match of the 2002 year was HHH-hbk at summerslam, awesome, intense and brutal match, shawn michaels' first match back against his former best friend, back and forth battle and michaels finally pulls it out. WAAAY better than rock-hogan

I dont think that this match qualifies for the M.O.T.Y. it wasnt even the best match of the night. People think just becouse it Has to popular wrestlers in it will make a good match, the match was ok but it wasnt that interesting. No special moves, no suspenseful moments. I would have to be just like everyone else here and say the best match of 2002 would be HHH vs HBK's street fight. the way shawn wrestled in that match was classic seeing he had just come back from everything he was going through.

If I'm reading this right, a lot of you guys are saying this match is only interesting because the crowd is really into it. So you're saying it's only interesting because other people are interested in it. Which means the match is only interesting because it's interesting.

Is context, psychology, and intrigue REALLY that lost on everyone?

If I'm reading this right, a lot of you guys are saying this match is only interesting because the crowd is really into it. So you're saying it's only interesting because other people are interested in it. Which means the match is only interesting because it's interesting.

No. Most people are saying that the crowds reaction can add to an average match. Just the same as a quiet crowd can take away from a good match. Take away the crowd and you have nothing more than a normal Hogan match. That's fine if your a Hogan fan. But this match is no better or worse than any matches he's had throughout his career.

i am one of the rocks biggest fans
when i first saw that match it was one of my favorites
back was it first happened it was "awesome" cuz the rock beat the immortal hulk hogan
but now as i watch it (i now appreciate great wrestling and less one superstar) i just find it to be a very, very boring match
the only real positive about the match was the atmosphere and how loud the crowd was

Well then I guess you'd also have to ask what one's definition of a great match is. If we're talking actual wrestling, then Hogan has never had a great match, and I can say that being a huge Hogan fan. When we talk about straight wrestling, this would be far from one of the great matches that year. Add in the magic of the moment, icon vs. icon, 2 of the biggest of all times, crowd reaction, and hype, and you have one of the greatest matches ever, period.

I think this one is a no-brainer personally.
I mean, given the criteria that goes into PWI selecting MOTY this match runs away with it. There was the build-up, the anticipation and the show-stealing appeal (remember, it was not even the f'ing main event). This is one of the biggest matches EVER, much less of 2002.
HBK's return is also phenomenal ... and certainly worth mentioning, but Hulk vs. Rock is a legendary encounter that NONE of us who witnessed it will ever forget.

For sheer emotional content...absolutely. All you have to do is look at the expressions on the faces of Hulk Hogan and the Rock as the crowd chanted "HOGAN! HOGAN! HOGAN!", and even before the bell ever rang, you already knew you were going to be watching one of the most memorable matches of all time. It wasn't a technical masterpiece by any means...very few Hogan matches could ever be called that...but, for drawing the viewer in, the return of Hulk Hogan to Wrestlemania is one of the greatest moments ever in the WWE.

no match with hulk hogan can ever be considered the greatest match of the year cause the man just cant damn work. i respect him for all he has done and can draw anywhere in the world but his matches are sometime brutal to watch. HHH vs HBK street fight was head and shoulders above rock vs hogan

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back