• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Losing John Cena to Hollywood

Jeff Deliverer of Mail

Money for nothin, chicks for free
The fact of the matter is, John Cena has talent oozing out of him from all angles. The one that is obvious, is his acting ability. Cena has a certain natural charm for the Hollywood camera. Now it seems ( I don't know the guy but just by going on what I see on television ) is that he loves the WWE and what the company has done for him. WWE surely treats him in the same fashion with accolades he was allowed to accomplish while wrestling there.

This is a nightmare for those in the head office. It has to be. John Cena is a merchandise monster for the company and judging by the items being worn in the crowds, he dominates the market. In the first few years of his career, I hated the guy. He was awkward as hell, his matches were botch fests and he didn't deserve early accomplishments. Now, his game has improved 100% in the ring, to the point where he's one of the best power-technical wrestlers on the card. It's no secret, he's been in three or four match of the year candidates and it's no fluke that a lot of it is because of his ring awareness and technical prowess. I for one, will actually miss John Cena, his matches are special because of how nuts the fans react to his matches. The most recent example was his match against Seth Rollins where an actual wave was formed and it went around the arena during the match...pretty awesome sight!

He's getting older and fans have been waiting for the big HEEL turn, it has to be coming soon because ....

Hollywood is knocking on Cena's door.

Good let him go to hollywood. I have a number of issues with this post. 1 being he still sucks on the mic. He's a terrible actor. The only reason he sells the most merch is because he HAS the most merch to sell.. The reason he has the best matches is because wwe waters everyone else's matches down.. Like come on man. I hope the bum atleast puts a few people over before he leaves. But he has yet to do that in the last 10 years..

Good let him go to hollywood. I have a number of issues with this post. 1 being he still sucks on the mic. He's a terrible actor. The only reason he sells the most merch is because he HAS the most merch to sell.. The reason he has the best matches is because wwe waters everyone else's matches down.. Like come on man. I hope the bum atleast puts a few people over before he leaves. But he has yet to do that in the last 10 years..

He only HAS the most merch because only good came out of the small merch he had to start off, why not increase it if it works? from a marketing perspective if its working, increase productivity, simple.

I for one aint the biggest Cena fan but lets be honest, he puts on decent feuds and can attract without the title around has waist. His overall pull power is what WWE needs to make more of with the superstars, just in shorter time frames and tbh i think WWE are getting closer every year, i mean you really only have to look at the development of nXt.

[P]He only HAS the most merch because only good came out of the small merch he had to start off, why not increase it if it works? from a marketing perspective if its working, increase productivity, simple[/P].

Lol. because hes been there 10 years if any other top guy stayed besides him they would have that merch sale. I mean does wwe have u that brainwashed? Half of wwe merch is cena merch of coarse he is going to make the most money. Its the fact there to lazy to build new stars because they have cena to lean on. maybe without him they will wake up and build new stars.

He sucks on the mic ? Let's pitt Cena vs Reigns on the mic....Cena vs Daniel Bryan ....vs anyone on the roster and not only will he hold his own, he will burn on the fly and leave anyone in pieces. That's just unwise to say he sucks on the mic. He's also a good actor. To say WWE waters down everyone else's matches besides Cena's is a blind hate statement. You just hate the guy , period. But don't try and come up with silly excuses why.

jeff i actually dont hate the guy. Everything i said is just true. your the one who is blind. Your really trying to say wwe doesn't water down matches? LOL your argument ends right there, And also nobody ever cuts promo's anymore so do we really know? But we do know that when guys like cm punk were cutting promo's with him he OWNED cena every time. The only valid thing you said was roman reigns sucks at promo's which i agree on. And last but not least daniel bryan even owned cena between there exchanges back in 2013. Calling him a wrestling parody was all he needed to say. Because its true.

I would really hope he does walk away and Vince would shit his pants because he never hired or created the WWE's star for the next generation. A lot of the roster isn't very young so There are limits on who to pick.

I've never actually seen John Cena in a movie, but from what I understand those that have worked with him say he's very professional. Unfortunately he is no Rock, and his movies I don't think have really done all that well. Plus he is in his thirties, so I don't think Hollywood will be luring him away from the WWE anytime soon.

If he was as good as is being made out to be, movie wise, then he would already be gone. I have a feeling he is just doing it because he can, and maybe it's something he would be interested in doing once his career in the ring is over.

He might be one of the WWE's biggest stars, but when you compare him to a Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt he comes up on the short end of the stick. I can see him making a movie here or there, but an Academy Award winner, I'm not so sure of.

EDIT: I'm not knocking Cena by any means, it's quite a jump from being a wrestler to a movie star. The only one who has managed to do it is the Rock. And from what we've seen from celebrities when they do come to the WWE, most of them look like a fish out of water. The two are completely different entities.

[P]He only HAS the most merch because only good came out of the small merch he had to start off, why not increase it if it works? from a marketing perspective if its working, increase productivity, simple[/P].

Lol. because hes been there 10 years if any other top guy stayed besides him they would have that merch sale. I mean does wwe have u that brainwashed? Half of wwe merch is cena merch of coarse he is going to make the most money. Its the fact there to lazy to build new stars because they have cena to lean on. maybe without him they will wake up and build new stars.

Lmao. But they didnt stay and thats all that needs to be said tbh, to say half of the current merch is Cena's does not really point out that over those 10 years, his merch salves have increased? causing what currently is (according to you) half of WWE merch. You cant really expect stars to come on board instantly and for WWE to keep producing developed merch out of good will when there basic merch is probably only just profitable. I mean look at New Day for example, probably exceeded merch sale expectations and look what we have now, unicorn headbands lol.

lol @ brainwash, maybe your calling the kettle black and assuming its just entertainment when most calls WWE make are to benefit themselves, which at the end of the day will be financially.

I don't think the company will lose him to Hollywood. I just imagine at this point in his career he's exploring interests for whenever he decides to go to a lighter schedule. It seems to be working for Batista. His name alone will garner interest.

This thread reads like a bunch of unsolicited Cena hate. The topic is on John Cena leaving WWE for Hollywood, not how much "merch" he has

John in Trainwreck was actually very good. His comedic timing and genuine delivery makes him a very desirable personality. However, John has stated several times that he has no intent or interest in leaving WWE for Hollywood. He doesn't want to do what The Rock did

Will John continue to take movie roles? Of course. Is his career coming to a close as a result? I doubt it. He has a very safe moveset and loves what he does. He could probably go another 10 years if he wants. And he probably will, while also taking movie roles on the side

John Cena does not need the WWE anymore and they surely need him more than he needs them BUT John Cena is far too passionate for the WWE and you don't just go flying off to Hollywood on the next flight. I would say he will continue to make movies and take time off every now and again, this also keeps his character fresh and will probably make the fans appreciate him more for it.

Besides The WWE just wouldn't be the same without him at this point, I think he's going to be a life ALA 'Taker, Flair, HHH etc...and eventually take on a role backstage helping younger talent out which he would be very good at. None of this is to say that he isn't a good actor it's just that the films he has been in have not been very good mostly because they are low budget.

Apparently he's been getting a lot better and it's showing in the types of roles he's beginning to get. People forget that The Rock didn't just start out as one of the biggest names in Hollywood either, it took years for people to start casting him in the bigger Hollywood pictures. Cena strikes me as the type of guy that, if he legitimately wanted to go into acting 100%, he would already be gone by now. He certainly does not need the WWE and he's obviously becoming more in demand when it comes to reality shows, movie roles, etc. But he's said numerous times that wrestling is still his passion and I really have no reason not to believe him.

Maybe Cena will become a full-time actor later down the line once his career is over, but even than he has said that he'd like to stick around WWE and help the product in any way that he can. So I don't foresee us losing Cena to Hollywood anytime soon. Certainly not before he feels is career is truly over.

Yes, WWE losing John Cena to the Hollywood is tedious albeit it has some perks on its own. It can be the viable time for WWE to introspect and evaluate themselves to the point where they can go without Cena. We obviously know that he has been carrying this company on his shoulders.

He can't do that forever. He does need someone to pass his torch but before that WWE should know where they can go without him. And this maybe the right time to evaluate that, without losing much.

John Cena is currently typecast in Hollywood, brief cameos/appearances in comedy films ( I think it suits him ) so he won't be leaving WWE until he can branch away from such. It would take me a while to ever get used to him in a serious role in a film and I'm not sure if his acting capabilities are up to it. I've personally never really taken Cena seriously, even when he cut more serious promos, it didn't come off as naturally as say CM Punk did.

WWE lost Hogan, Savage, Warrior, Bret, Michaels, Austin, Rock, Batista, Edge, many others, they currently have many top guys sidelined, but they still managed to beat WCW, launch their own Network, expand to more countries and make huge money, they declared Reign's Empire Era on RAW, so they will be ok without Cena if something like Hollywood career happens in his life.

Cena is limited with his acting abilities. Remember back in 1999-2000? Everyone was sure Austin was going to be a big deal in Hollywood and it didn't exactly work that way. Cena is similar - his acting is limited so he isn't going to get cast in the big roles like the Rock. Being in one successful movie doesn't mean he has a great talent - Batista went from playing a hulking character in Guardians to a hulking character in Bond(not much of a stretch) but look at the rest of his career - low budget poor movies. Cena might be able to make a few million a film doing those types of movies but who is going to see them? Name the last Austin movie? Cena isn't talented enough to make it big in Hollywood, he can play certain roles but that's about it. People supported Rock when he did movies like Tooth Fairy and such to show he can laugh at himself - I don't see that with Cena. He might be better off to take a reduced schedule in wwe and do more of thier crappy movies.

Have any of you actually watched his movies? rofl, he's not going to Hollywood, he's doing random appearances, but his acting is really bad.

Have any of you actually watched his movies? rofl, he's not going to Hollywood, he's doing random appearances, but his acting is really bad.

No and I pretty much admitted that I hadn't. None of his movies have been blockbuster's like the Rock or Batista, I can't even remember the names of any movie Cena was in. That's how much I wanted to go and see it. So is he a good actor or not, I have no idea.

My point was that if he was a great actor, then he would be another Rock and wouldn't be wrestling anymore.

Watch Trainwreck for the small amount of screen time John Cena has to work with. He is a natural talent and had the best parts of the rather dull movie. He's also in another movie where he has this neck tattoo and is a thug I suppose, I don't know ....I only saw a picture of it.

My point was that if he was a great actor, then he would be another Rock and wouldn't be wrestling anymore.

This is far from true. Not everybody falls under the same mould. John Cena has said for years and years that the WWE is his lifeblood and has constantly discussed sticking around no matter what. He seems to love wrestling a hell of a lot more than acting currently. The Rock was thinking about Hollywood the moment he starred in The Scorpion King, which is evident in all the time he missed making movies, between 01 and his eventual "retirement" in 04. Maybe John Cena doesn't star in these blockbuster films because he doesn't want to take 4-6 months off of wrestling? That's a possibility.

He was pretty good in his bit role in Trainwreck, which is why I think he can eventually grab larger roles if he so chooses to. Pretty sure he's also like, the only wrestler to get good reviews on his WWE movies. I think 12 Rounds and The Marine are their two highest grossing movies to date. I just don't think Hollywood is on his radar right now. Maybe a few years down the road once he feels his career is over.

Maybe Cena will become a full-time actor later down the line once his career is over, but even than he has said that he'd like to stick around WWE and help the product in any way that he can. So I don't foresee us losing Cena to Hollywood anytime soon. Certainly not before he feels is career is truly over.

It's an interesting quandary, isn't it? He needs to time his choices before they become someone elses' choices; namely, the movie studios and the public.

If he wrestles too long and starts looking bad in the ring......(yes, even as we recognize the number of folks who feel he already looks bad, but they aren't the fans I'm talking about)..... he loses public favor. But if he waits too long to get into full-time movie making, he might very well age out of the group movie-goers can regard as action heroes they want to see.

The best solution is the one chosen by the Rock; to spend most of his time in movies but still give wrestling an occasional jolt. The fans want it and Rock is smart enough to acknowledge his roots.

Since the path to success has been paved by Rock, Cena can do it even better. He says he wants wrestling before movies.....and I believe he'll stick to that. As it is, he's already wrestled full-time longer than Rock did. He won't be going anywhere soon.......and when it's time to slow down his wrestling schedule, I'll doubt he'll go away as completely as Rock did for years before coming back.

jeff i actually dont hate the guy. Everything i said is just true. your the one who is blind. Your really trying to say wwe doesn't water down matches? LOL your argument ends right there, And also nobody ever cuts promo's anymore so do we really know? But we do know that when guys like cm punk were cutting promo's with him he OWNED cena every time. The only valid thing you said was roman reigns sucks at promo's which i agree on. And last but not least daniel bryan even owned cena between there exchanges back in 2013. Calling him a wrestling parody was all he needed to say. Because its true.

Punk did not own Cena nor did Bryan. Did they say things that a Cena hating smark resonates with? Sure, the anti Cena promo has been the crutch that superstars use for the last decade to get people's attention. In 2011, Punk needed to be established in order to fill the void that Edge left. So Cena laid back until their last feud, where Cena finally decided to roast him. Cena definitely had the upper hand in that promo against Bryan as well. Bryan cut his anti sports entertainer promo while being a sports entertainer himself, and called Cena a parody, and Cena had aa very passionate retort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back