looking to get into ROH, where do i start?

chibet

Pre-Show Stalwart
ok so i have seen some matches from ROH of stars that are now in TNA, Styles, Joe and even Punk. Some of these matches are great. if i were to try and get deeper into ROH's best matches, what should i watch ?

Well, if you want the absolute best matches in ROH history, here is what you'll want to track down:

1. The Joe vs Punk trilogy. These are the classics of ROH. Three incredible matches. The second of them is thought of as the best by many, but individual taste varies. They're all really damn good. If you want the easy way of getting them, becoming a Ringside Member with ROH will give you access to the lot of them. The downside is that it costs eight dollars a month, and you might not be willing to commit. The problem is that I don't believe any of the DVDs you can get these on are still available. Actually, scratch that, if you nab the Allied Forces DVD from 2010 (a fine show in its own right) they throw in a DVD with these three, which is a fantastic bargain. Alternatively you can track to track down the individual shows on eBay or the like (the shows are World Title Classic, Joe vs. Punk II, and All Star Extravaganza II. I can't honestly speak for the quality of the shows as a whole but they're probably good (I've never seen the whole shows properly, just tracked down the Joe vs Punk matches).

2. Joe vs Kobashi - This is a seminal classic of ROH. Kobashi, the puro legend, came over for a weekend and had a phenomenal match with Joe. Watch it and never look back. Best way to get it that I can think of is one of the retail DVDs. Actually, you know what, this is the way to go if you want to see some classics. ROH put out four retail DVDs in 2007-2008ish with some of their classic matches on them. You can still find them online (maybe in an old FYE or something if you look hard enough) and they're a great intro. The DVDs are Stars of Honor, Best in the World (Joe vs Kobashi is on this), Greatest Rivalries, and Bloodstained Honor. I have a soft spot for Bloodstained Honor myself. They're a great intro for any fan, look into them. If you're so inclined try to track down the other Kobashi match that weekend, it's a tag and the details escape me but it's damn good as I recall.

3. The Ladder Wars - I always recommend these. There are three, now - The Briscoes vs Kevin Steen and El Generico, Kevin Steen and El Generico vs The American Wolves, and The Briscoes vs All Night Express. They're all really excellent matches and give you a taste of some of ROH's biggest tag teams in their history. Briscoes/Steenerico is off of Man Up!, one of their old PPVs (also features the birth of The Age of the Fall, which is an interesting angle to say the least), Wolves vs Steenerico is off of...Glory by Honor VIII? I think it was the night Bryan left, unless my memory fails me. Death Before Dishonor IX this year has the third. All damn good.

4. Bryan Danielson vs KENTA - Glory by Honor V, Night 2. If you only see one Bryan Danielson match in your life, make it this one. It's so good. This is right in the middle of Danielson's epic title reign that is tied for a record number of title defenses. The story was so epic to this one. KENTA was undefeated in ROH, and Bryan was the champion. No one knew what was going to happen. Amazing match, historic for ROH.

5. Bryan Danielson vs Nigel McGuinness, Unified - If you only see two Bryan Danielson matches, this is a good one to pick. The culmination of a classic feud, the last Pure title match in history, and also a great Nigel match, who deserves mention here. Definitely worth seeing this - it's a classic world title match from one of the best times in ROH.

So I think I've given you enough to get started. Others will no doubt add more (well, maybe). I'm leaving off a lot, there's a lot of classic Punk, Aries, KoW...but you'll get there. PM me anytime about ROH, and enjoy.

danielson vs. Mcguinness definately. too bad they went to different companies (and one is sick).
tag teams. tag matches last for like 20 minutes and they hit crazy moves. start a drinking game with the "This is Awesome" chants during American Wolves, briscoes, young bucks (think that was ROH) before they became gen. me. and it'll make it much more fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back