• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Looking Back, Was The "Vince McMahon" Character A Good Idea?

PlayTheGame

The Cerebral Assassin
Now on the surface, the character was obviously a good idea. The character provided a lot of entertainment, helped a lot of guys get over in HUGE ways (Stone Cold immediately comes to mind), and more.

So as for entertainment, the character was unquestionably positive. But let's dissect this a bit further. I remember watching an old Vince McMahon interview with Bob Costas on youtube in which Costas questioned the antics of McMahon's on-screen character. Costas basically asked something to the extent of, "Do you think it's good for the identity of your business that you, the head of the company, is depicted (fictionally, albeit) as a salacious, vulgar, pugnacious figure?" Vince basically skirted around the question, not directly addressing it, but explaining it away (as only Vince can do).

Now, one could immediately go to his defense and hold that Vince's character is purely fictional entertainment, and it is obviously not really him, nor should it be considered as such. In a more recent example, it is the same thing with the Chris Jericho/flag incident, in which I supported Jericho, as he was just acting in his heelish character (a stance I still hold, along with everything else I said that day, but that's neither here nor there). So, at first glance, one could defend Vince and say "it's just his fictional character". But here's a potential difference between the two: Vince was not primarily an on-screen figure; his bigger role was as head of the company, whereas Jericho and all other wrestlers are primarily on-screen figures and are thus seen and considered as such.

So thus, one could argue that although McMahon's antics were fictional, he's held to a different standard and is largely negatively judged by the general public based on his on-screen character, which is a complicated notion in and of itself. You could either argue that the head of the company should not cross the lines of fiction, as it reflects on his company. Or you could argue that no matter how you look at it, it is still fictional. Obviously Costas was holding the former, and I believe a lot of the general public does as well. Because, let's face it, VKM isn't exactly a heralded public figure, and it has to be partly due to his risque involvement on television. One could then go onto argue (although it would be an arguable stance) that VKM's character didn't help the public image of the company and thus hurt the identity of the WWE, possibly even business-wise. For example, if you owned a company, you might think twice before advertising with the company owned by a man who's regularly taking chair shots and flirting with young women on a weekly basis on national tv.

As you can see, arguments can clearly be made by both sides. Was VKM good creatively? No doubt. Was it good for the image of the WWE? Probably not. But, overall, was it a good idea? That's the true question here, and you can break it down/answer it in any fashion you like.

Personally, I would probably say that it was a good idea, especially when you consider the times. Wrestling wasn't really at a point where it could be widely accepted by all walks of life, so to speak. I think that's why Vince didn't mind becoming the risque character that he became due to the time context. And after becoming the character and taking this leap, he certainly made the most of it, and it was successful. However, since wrestling is now slowly becoming more acceptable to the public (appearing on ESPN, charitable works, B.A. Star, Make A Wish, etc.), I don't think it would've been a good idea in today's WWE. And I think that's why he's not being the arrogant, enraged, and crazy "Mr. McMahon" every week on TV now, combined with the fact he's aged. Instead, that character is played by others nowadays, such as John Laurinaitis. So, personally, I think the best way to address the question is to look at the time period. When you do, I think it was a good idea, despite what Costas pointed out in the interview and what the general public thought of VKM at the time.

What are your thoughts?

Well, to answer the question, and it is a great question, you need to remember why they introduced the Mr. McMahon character, when they did. WWE was losing the Monday Night War to WCW, WWE was low on heels, and Bischoff was revealed as part of the NWO. In some ways Vince had no choice but to become a character, just to keep WWE in the game. He needed a new huge heel to take on Austin, and he choose, himself. In some ways he put the whole future of the company and put it on his shoulders with it. Had it failed, WWE would, most likely be, over.

Now, has the McMahon character as it became was a good idea? Personally I say no. I think he allowed his personal ego to take over, and in doing so, along with allowing everyone but the family dog get involved, may have kept others who could have used the tv time to get themselves over off the radar. I feel the storylines themselves went way over the line, but I also know there was no one there who could tell him no, if he wanted to have Linda in a catatonic state while he made out with Trish Stratus all someone like I could do is turn it off, which I did. I was raising my kids, I didnt mind the wrestling itself, but the extra dumb antics by the McMahon family, I did not watch, or allow my kids to see.

So the character was needed when it started, what it became was not needed nor, in my house, was not appreciated.

My response is that of a douche bag...it's a question.

Did you like the attitude era? Well if you did then you have no choice but to admit that the Mr. McMahon character was a good idea.

The Attitude Era was to a very large extent the "Fuck The Boss Era". It all started with the I Bret Screwed Bret, Degeneration X take over, Then the Austin Revolution, The Invasion, The Corporation....SO many of these were directly involving the Mr McMahon character. If you liked these things.....then I win; If you don't...the terrorists win.

You said the character provided a lot of entertainment, helped a lot of guys get over in HUGE ways (Stone Cold immediately comes to mind), and more.

So if that's the case, why dissect it further? There's no need to.

Allow me to cut to the chase...

1st, Vince McMahon knew that after the "Montreal Screwjob" that the fans wanted to hate him, so instead of ignoring it and hiding behind the the scenes, he decided to allow the fans to hate him by being exactly every stereotype the the media & dirtsheets were portraying him to be by putting it into his character "Mr McMahon"

as far as the Jericho debacle is concerned, in Brazil the laws are stricter than in USA, UK & Canada. what he did was a crime that warrants being placed under arrest...The cops gave him, as a performer, the opportunity to apologize to the crowd and they will let it go. it had become an international incident so with WWE being a publicly traded corporation that has to answer to shareholders, they had 2 options, suspension or termination

Considered we are seeing a paler, less interesting version of the same character on every show now anyway, my answer is an unqualified Yes!! (and not the DB kind)

The Mr. McMahon character was the personification of the Attitude era. Without "Mr. McMahon" you wouldn't have had Stone Cold Steve Austin rising to the top so quickly and becoming one of the best of all-time. His feud against his boss was the hook that brought millions back every week and kept them watching to see what he'd do to Vince next. Plus, Vince is a very humorous character especially when he's ad-libbing. Long story short, yes. The character was a great idea that helped the business and the attitude era in general.

Everything being said I still think it was a good idea. He was absolutely hated and he helped get Stone Cold to the monster level of popularity that he was at. He had the Rock in the corporation helping him get over as a heel. It can even be said that without the McMahon character there would not have been an attitude era. While maybe it hurt business a little bit in the long run, but it can be argued that if it wasn't for the attitude era the WWE may not still be around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back