• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Looking back on the feud: Was Orton really the bad guy?

Triple H and Randy Orton have feuded many times over the years. They feuded in 2004 with Evolution, they feuded in 2006 with Rated-RKO vs DX, they had an one night feud in 2007 when Orton when the title in No Mercy, they feuded in 2008 over the WWE Championship and then, the one feud that stole the show was in 2009. This was the feud that actually got me into watching the WWE.

Now, am I the only one who wanted Orton to kick Triple H's ass? I mean, Orton wasn't even the bad guy in this feud.
Stephanie and Shane were bullying Orton on RAW (of course Orton is a douche and deserves that right? Wrong!). They were abusing their power as GMs. Then, Stephanie slaps Orton and he as the better man, does not strike her back, but instead goes to Vince McMahon, man to man. And what does Vince do? He asks Orton to apologize? People were chanting RKO RKO that night as Orton punts Vince. Why would I boo Orton for doing what Steve Austin has been doing for years?

Orton then wins fair and square and the Royal Rumble. Mainwhile, the McMahon bring the weak son, to fight Orton. Orton once again beats Shane fair and squre at No Way Out. But before that, Orton DDTs Stephanie which makes HHH come out. So Orton is a heel in 2009 for doing the same things Austin would do in 1999? Look at how times change.

Yeah yeah, Orton also had the Legacy with him, as his minions, but that aside, why wouldn't he two friends to watch his back?

Of course, during the HHH vs Orton build-up, WWE turn Orton full heel, but the only heelish thing Orton does, is actually being a coward and having 3-on-1 attacks on HHH. I think with a more cautious booking, WWE could have had created their new mega face, in Randy Orton, with the double turn taking place, but of course, failed to capitalize on that opportunity.

Also, let's not forget that this feud was around Orton taking revenge on HHH for what he did to him 4 years ago with Evolution. So, why would I hate Orton?

What do you think?

He knocked Stephanie out and then kissed her while she was unconscious, while a handcuffed HHH looked on.

That's as heelish as it gets.

The Attitude Era was a pretty messed up time due to being a product that appealed to the lowest common denominator. That's why people cheered Austin for stunning Steph. That's why people cheered when the Dudleyz powerbombed women through tables. Because Attitude Era fans are douches.

Thankfully, we then entered an era where attacking a woman elicited gasps instead of cheers. Orton is absolutely a heel in those scenarios. But goddamn if it wasn't a really entertaining angle.

He was full heel then with Legacy. He was so heel that he even punted his own teammates when he did it to DiBiase Jr. So no, he couldnt be face in a feud with then face HHH and McMahons.

The Attitude Era was a pretty messed up time due to being a product that appealed to the lowest common denominator. That's why people cheered Austin for stunning Steph. That's why people cheered when the Dudleyz powerbombed women through tables. Because Attitude Era fans are douches.

Thankfully, we then entered an era where attacking a woman elicited gasps instead of cheers. Orton is absolutely a heel in those scenarios. But goddamn if it wasn't a really entertaining angle.

The attitude towards women reminds me of a time where I was thoroughly disgusted to be a wrestling fan.

It was a night where they had a mixed tag-team match with one team being "Stone Cold" Steve Austin teaming with Stacy Kiebler (I can't remember who was on the other team) .

After they won, Austin had a beer bash. He gave Stacy a can of beer. She sipped it, and didn't like it. Austin responded by giving her a Stone Cold Stunner. There were loud cheers from the crowd.

This was bad enough. What was worse that this was a month after Austin plead guilty to spousal battery on Debra.

So, fans were cheering a violent act by a male against a female, when this same male had just committed a violent act off-screen to a woman a month earlier. What a disgrace!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back