• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Little Tidbit about Slammy's MOTY

Poop Master Flex

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I went on Facebook this morning and ran across this little article about the Match of The Year specifically Punk vs. Lesnar getting snubbed:

http://nodq.com/wwe/388605734.shtml

Here's to paraphrase the article:

While CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar isn't nominated for the Match of the Year Slammy Award, a lot of people within WWE believe it was the company's best match of the year. The match wasn't nominated because Punk can't have a better match with Lesnar than Triple H did and Punk vs. The Undertaker had to be listed.

The 1st thing I thought of when reading this was "some fans will believe anything!". Even with all the crap I've been giving Triple H lately I couldn't believe how many fans were flipping out about this in the comments section. Although I think it's a travesty Punk vs. Lesnar wasn't on the list after reading this I've come to the conclusion this is will most likely setup a storyline either tonight or very soon. I think HHH vs. Punk at WM30 is a strong possibility at this point.

Rather Punk vs HHH (who has proven he can still wrestle) than Austin (who hasn't wrestled in ages and shouldn't be risking his life).

I don't get the infatuation with Austin wrestling again. Even in the off chance he does wrestle, the match itself is going to be a shitfest because he has to work "safe" to protect himself.

He had to work safe from Summerslam '97 to retirement, Austin's style is perfect for someone with a neck injury.

Michaels had to work safe his entire second run and it blew his first run out of the water.

Austin's a great psychologist, when you have that you can have a great match while taking little to no bumps.

If Austin working is a great risk then I would rather him not take it. However, we don't know if Austin could handle a match at this point, there's a chance his body could handle a match without any real issues. At the same time he has no need to wrestle again so why would he?

Austin has said on his podcast that he could go full time now if he had to. Whether or not that's true is up for debate but he says it's possible. I don't think he needs one more match but it's not entirely out of the question.

However, there are only two matches worth having for Austin and Punk isn't one of them.

I don't blame WWE. MOTY polls these days are mostly about protecting Undertaker's image and the image of the other big names. Which is their prerogative. Gotta remind people that the special attractions who put asses in seats are worth your money.

If you remember correctly, last year's MOTY Slammy nominations completely excluded both Punk and Bryan. The year before that, there was not MOTY Slammy in a year where Undertaker and Triple H were obviously outdone by Cena and CM Punk.

WWE has a narrative to protect. Anyone who thinks these polls are about actually honouring the best performers and performances of the year is the markiest mark of all marks. The people who care about Punk and Bryan getting their recognition don't need constant reminding of how good those guys are. The people who care about the part-timers do need reminding. Partially because those fans aren't as obsessed as we are. Partially because those part-timers aren't around every week to make their case and remind people how good they are.

I don't care. You shouldn't either.

Slammy Awards should be picked by fans and should not be rigged. Atleast have one thing real in the scripted world of professional wrestling.

Austin has said on his podcast that he could go full time now if he had to. Whether or not that's true is up for debate but he says it's possible. I don't think he needs one more match but it's not entirely out of the question.

However, there are only two matches worth having for Austin and Punk isn't one of them.

Austin has however stated himself that if he were to return then it'd be for a match with Punk. Just saying.

I can see the appeal of that far more than I can of Austin vs. Punk. The latter would be entertaining but I don't see it as this be all and end all of matches.

Austin vs Cena would be a bigger clash of characters. A case could be made for the beer vs straight-edge, but that'd be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back