Last minute deals for the NBA trade deadline

Buffalo Dave

Yeeeeeeeah Buddy!!
First we have the Celtics sending Kendrick Perkins and Nate Robinson to the Thunder for Jeff Green and Nenad Kristic. Perkins has been playing quite well since missing all that time from his knee injury he suffered during the finals last year. With both the O'neal's being oft injured, it's a huge risk. Big Baby is playing up and down as well. Jeff Green is a terrific pick up for them, but it takes away from having that big body at Center, especially if the O'neal's are out of the playoffs. Kristic is a decent Center on the offensive side of the ball, but lacks the toughness on the defensive side. At least for the Thunder they get a very solid center for their playoff push, and get rid of Green which seemed like he wasn't going to be there next year anyways. Nate adds some depth for the Thunder as well.

The Thunder also traded Morris Peterson and D.J. White for Nazr Mohammed, adding more depth at Center for them. Both players are rarely used by OKC. so not like they gave up anything huge for Nazr.

The Bobacts traded Gerald Wallace to Portland for 2 1st round picks, Joel Pryzbilla and Dante Cunningham. This helps Portland out a lot. They get a pretty good player in Wallace, with Camby just about ready to comeback from injury, it was a risk sending the other two Centers as part of the deal, but Wallace's play will make up from that, this Portland team is looking alright, now that Roy is back from his injury as well. The Bobcats are definitely in the rebuild mode, I was surprised Jackson didn't go anywhere.

O.J. Mayo had a potential deal to get out of Memphis, by going to Indiana for Josh McRoberts and a 2011 1st round pick, but the deal wasn't finalized in time of the 3p.m. deadline. That deal would've worked well for both teams. Mayo has had a falling out with Memphis, his production has dropped as well, a fresh start would've been best for him. McRoberts was definitely coming around this year, getting the start at PF ahead of Hansbrough.

Awful trade for Boston, if Kristic can't compete for the Thunder starting job, than ill be surprised if he plays for more than 10-14 minutes a game for Boston, Jeff Green has potential, he's just not really close yet.

The Thunder/Celtics trade was a good move for both sides, Thunder definitely needed a (good) big man down low, and Kristic is awful. The Celtics got a good young player who can a.) help them win this year, and b.) build for the future so they don't completely suck when the big 3 retire.

I like the Portland trade, it's great to see Gerald Wallace somewhere besides Charlotte, and I could see him blossoming - especially since B-Roy looks like a 40 year old out there. I guess the Bobcats got a decent deal, Joel is a decent backup center, and Cunningham is a great defender, first round draft picks are always nice as well. I just wish Stephen Jackson would have been traded to a contender, I really like that guy.

Sucks for O.J Mayo, the Grizzlies have treated him like shit for a while now, it would be nice to see him playing elsewhere. Hopefully this summer he'll end up in a different uniform.

I'm bummed the Bulls didn't make a deal for a SG, they really need other scoring options besides Boozer and Rose, Deng should not be the 3rd scoring option on an NBA team. I heard rumors of the Nuggets shipping J.R Smith to the Bulls, hopefully that happens during the offseason - that backcourt would be fun to watch.

WOW a crazy day as there were no trades made today until 3 pm ET (besides the Baron Davis for Mo Williams trade from 1 or 2 am) but once that clock hit 3 pm ET, Perk for Jeff Green kicked off an exciting hour

also Aaron Brooks got traded to Phoenix for Goran Dragic & a 1st Rd Pick. Looks like he's going to be the heir apparent to Steve Nash, although Brooks is a Restricted Free Agent this summer, but I would be surprised if the Suns let him walk because of that

LOL like everyone else, I don't understand why BOS traded Perk. Yes Perk is a Free Agent this summer but so is Jeff Green (Restricted FA) & besides who cares if he's a FA or not Mr. Danny Ainge, you guys are trying to win a championship & Doc has said this a million times that no one has beaten BOS starting 5 in a playoff series so why trade him. What exactly was Cleveland's asking price for Anthony Parker since I know BOS wanted a SF ever since Marquis went down??? Hopefully, they can sign Troy Murphy once he gets his buyout from Golden State since a couple of Boston's other bigs, Erden & Harangody, were also traded

All of a sudden OKC look like the big winners of the day now that their frontcourt rotation consists of Ibaka, Perkins and Mohammed. I think OKC has a great shot of at least reaching the West Finals this yr, hopefully they clinch the 3 seed & LAL falls to 4 so they can avoid the Spurs & Lakers in the 2nd rd

Gerald Wallace going to POR isn't that much of a shock since there were rumors yesterday & Tuesday night of him possibly headed to the Blazers, but what's surprising is that Portland got him without giving up Andre Miller, Marcus Camby, Rudy Fernandez, or Nicolas Batum. With this move, they could perhaps catch up to OKC & win the Northwest Division from them, but I think they won't & will instead finish 5th with a 1st rd exit since I want the Lakers to finish 4th

I'm just going to talk about the Thunder/Celtics trade. Great move for both teams. With Marquis Daniels possibly out for the season the C's needed a good wing player and getting Jeff Green is probably better then they expected. he immediately becomes one of the best 6th men in the lague and I expect the C's to give him a contract extension so he will be the future at the 3 spot along with Rondo at the point. Nate Robinson was expendable because of Avery Bradley's good play and Perkins has missed most of the season anyways, plus Nenad Kristic will do just fine for them off the bench.

The Thunder did great as well. With Westbrook and Durant it was going to be hard to resign Jeff Green. Plus with the emergence of James Harden he has become somewhat expendable. In return they got a legit big in Perkins (required he stay healthy) and some nice veteran back court depth Nate Robinson.

The new lineup for the Thunder looks like this:

PG: Westbrook/Robinson
SG: Sefalosha/Harden
SF: Durant/Daequan Cook
PF: Ibaka/Collison
C: Perkins/Mohammed

The Thunder needed size to beat the Lakers and compete for a title. They now have that size and if Perkins stays healthy I could see them making a run to the finals.

I'm completely baffled at Boston getting rid of Perkins. Just baffled. He was just getting his legs back and did more things then what showed up on the statsheet. Had he been healthy for Game 7 I think Boston would've pulled it out because he's a guy that's not afraid to do the dirty work and get you double digit rebounds. Green might be able to replace Pierce in teh future, but this is a championship contender and arguably their best and toughest defensive bigman is out in OKC. You're gonna rely on the O'Neals, who might not even be ready for the playoffs, for a playoff push? C'mon now. It'll be up to Big Baby and KG now to do the dirty work, but an extra body like Perkins would've been huge in the playoffs. I think OKC got a steal out of this because Perkins does have a body that can bang with the big guys in the West.

In fact, I think the Heat benefited the most from this deal. They're lacking big men to go against Perkins, and now that he's gone, they only have to worry about Davis and KG, since I don't see either O'Neal being a huge factor in the playoffs.

Robinson was expendable, but that isn't the point of this trade. It's about Perkins.

Very questionable move by Boston. Very, very questionable.

I'm completely baffled at Boston getting rid of Perkins. Just baffled. He was just getting his legs back and did more things then what showed up on the statsheet. Had he been healthy for Game 7 I think Boston would've pulled it out because he's a guy that's not afraid to do the dirty work and get you double digit rebounds. Green might be able to replace Pierce in teh future, but this is a championship contender and arguably their best and toughest defensive bigman is out in OKC. You're gonna rely on the O'Neals, who might not even be ready for the playoffs, for a playoff push? C'mon now. It'll be up to Big Baby and KG now to do the dirty work, but an extra body like Perkins would've been huge in the playoffs. I think OKC got a steal out of this because Perkins does have a body that can bang with the big guys in the West.

In fact, I think the Heat benefited the most from this deal. They're lacking big men to go against Perkins, and now that he's gone, they only have to worry about Davis and KG, since I don't see either O'Neal being a huge factor in the playoffs.

Robinson was expendable, but that isn't the point of this trade. It's about Perkins.

Very questionable move by Boston. Very, very questionable.

The C's have been the best team in the East and dominated the Heat without Perkins so it's like he was an intricate part to their success this season. Marquis Daniels was hobbled with an injury (and now he's traded) so the C's needed a good wing player off the bench. They not only got that in Jeff Green but also Green will be big for the future. They killed two birds with one stone. Let's also not forget they got Nenad Kristic in the deal who, playing with KG, will really benefit. He has always been solid in his career especially when he has had a good power forward along side him. He will have that in Boston. I like the trade for the Celtics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back