Lack of Pre-Wrestlemania 29 Documentary

Steamboat Ricky

WZCW's Living Legend
Last year, the week before Wrestlemania 28 gave us this little gem:

rockcenadoc.jpg

For me, the documentary was great. Inspirational, feel-good...really sold both Rock and Cena (if they needed sold, at that point) and the match itself as a big-time, "Once in a Lifetime" spectacle. The build and feelings leading up to last years' match were great. The documentary made you buy into the encounter and Wrestlemania itself as something more than a wrestling event.

This year...it just felt lazy. Both from the performers' stand-point to the writers and creative backstage. It felt like I was supposed to care simply because it was Rock and Cena again. But I didn't, really. I wasn't emotionally invested. After the match was over, I realized that they didn't do the documentary like they did last year. I remembered how much I liked it and how connected I felt to the match after watching it.

The lack of emotional investment in the match seems to be a trend with those who didn't want to see the match again or felt that it didn't deliver. Would some documentary around the theme of "Greatness v. Redemption" have helped make this match feel like a bigger deal? Would we have been ultimately more satisfied in the end result if something like this could have made us more emotionally invested?

Last year, the goal was to really push the "Once in a Lifetime" aspect of the match and make it feel like a huge deal. Hence the documentary and all of the build up the match got.

This year, it almost seemed as though they were trying to let the fact that it was a title match sell itself, and that's they the build came up a bit flat. I don't know that a documentary and whatnot would have been the right answer, but the build did come off a bit half assed this year in comparison to last year.

I like the documentaries I really do, but they have a tendency to get over played. I think this year the match was trying to get sold just on the fact that it was a title match, and the fact that Cena had to win this one. I have to be honest, I was more excited for the match this year than I was last year. I can't really pinpoint why, but something to me felt special about this one. When they had their talk after the match it made me think The Rock could be finished, and with all of the complaining that happened with both of the matches I stand by the fact that we really saw something special between the two. I think a documentary would have helped this year especially if they touched on the bad year that Cena had, but they key would have been not to shove the doc down our throats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back