Kurt Warner Re-signed

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Today, after many weeks of talking about whether or not Kurt Warner would resign with the Arizona Cardinals, he agreed to a two year deal. In my eyes, this is the best thing Arizona could have done outside of resigning Boldin. That team isn't great by any means but they always have that puncher's chance. They need a gunslinger to get that done and Kurt Warner is a gunslinger if there ever was one. While I don't think they stand a chance of getting back to the Super Bowl, I'm wondering what they'll be able to do. Warner is older, but he's still got a handful of solid years left. He proved beyond a shadow of a doubt this year that he's still a valuable asset for a team to have, so resigning him was a smart move by Arizona.

By resigning him, where does this leave Arizona? Are they still a legitimate contender, or will they be exposed next year? Your thoughts please.

Are they redoing Boldin's contract?

I think this is EPIC for the Cards. They are so hot right now that it's unreal. I'm not sure if they can handle the hype, but you have to think that Arizona wants a ring...and if they can manage to get Boldin a new deal...that keeps Larry Fitzgerald as one of the most dangerous figures in football. You can't afford to double him with Boldin on the field. As long as they can add on a decent running game and competitive defense, they have the stuff.

Hopefully Warner still has the magic.

I hate to say it, but I see Warner breaking down this next year. I also don't see the Cards doing nearly as good as last season. Why you ask? What changed from two years previous to last season? Their division crumbled to the worst in the league. They went a whole 9-7 last year and caught fire in the postseason. They've lost coaches and they've lost some players as well. Their team overall hasn't improved at all save Fitzgerald becoming the best WR in the game suddenly. They haven't done anything to improve their defense, and are basically resting on their laurels for making the Super Bowl. They have a lot of off field distractions, Edgerrin James wanting out, Boldin demanding to be let go or getting paid, and the Warner contract situation. The 49ers are on the verge of something here, I got a feeling about them. Singletary showed he's not going to put up with shit and that every player is on notice. They'll be playing each game like its their last.

As for Warner, he's streaky when it comes to playing, one season he's tearing it up, the next he's throwing picks left and right. He just got paid finally through a drawn out messy contract situation. That can really hurt a team, just ask the Packers and the Brett Favre saga as an example. In the end I see either the Cardinals squeaking into the playoffs at 9-7 again, or missing completely and losing the division to the 49ers.

Based on the fact that they probably play in the easiest conference in football they should make the playoffs. Warner isn't worth the money he asked for. Yes, he had plenty of TD's this year, but look at who he is throwing to. Look at the defenses he played against this year. Yes, he played great in the superbowl, but most of that came in the 4th Qtr, and an int by Ben. He isn't worth that much money by any means, and he is proving how greedy he is to ask for such money.

Remeber they were only 9-7 this year which isn't great at all. The defense was the main problem. Teams have proven that you don't need a top 5 offense to win big games. Just ask the last two champions. The Cards should be dumping money in to the defense. They screwed themselves over with this offense.

Whisenhunt should be thankful that he has Larry Fitzgerald, because without him that team has nothing. Ken and company should be spending most of their money on defense. I was shocked that the Cards didn't trade Boldin for either Peppers or Suggs who are both tagged right now. Both of those teams the Raven's and Panthers could use a player like Boldin. The Ravens just drafted Joe Flacco, and the Panthers would compliment Smith well with Boldin. This would easily be the best WR duo in the NFL if that indeed hapenned. Right now more than a QB, the Cards need a strong defensive player that could change the course of this team.

The Cardinals don't need Warner to win. Most if not all the money they gave Warner could have went towards Boldin. Lets not forget that the offensive coordinator is gone as well. I know Matt Leinart hasn't looked like the franchise QB that the team envisioned, but neither did Drew Brees. Brees in his 5th year proved what time can do for a player. Don't get me wrong it is highly unlikely that Matt will transform in to anything special, but that doesn't mean you re-sign Warner to that kind of money. Sends a bad message to Leinart, and rest of the team like Anquan.

There are still some solid QB's in free agency. Players like Leftwich, and Grossman are out their. No, neither of those QB's are great, but much cheaper. Not to mention that they both have some experience. Grossman took the Bears to a SuperBowl. Byron when healthy can play well, his mechanics are just bad. I'm sure either of those two men would love to throw the ball to Larry, and Anquan.

The focus should be defense, defense, defense! They have enough offensive talent to get by in the NFC West. There were, and still are some key names in free agency.

Signing Warner was great & all but what does this do for Matt Leinart who is supposedly still their future QB. The Cards need to negotiate Boldin's contract & especially upgrade that defense if they even wanna make the playoffs next season cause I think either the 49ers (who look like they have something there with Singletary in charge) & the Seahawks (despite having an off year still have a decent team with a better receiver in T.J. Houshmandzadeh) can pass them that quick with how bad the NFC West has gotten lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back