Kurt Angle Says He Will Retire "For Good" in Three Years

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
This all from an interview he did with F4WOnline.com that you can listen to here:

"I've got two more years left at Impact Wrestling and then I'm going to have a retirement year and that's going to be it. I think I'll be done and once I retire, you're not going to see me back in a ring again, that's for sure," said the 44-year-old grappler. "I'm not going to be a guy that retires and keeps coming back. When I'm gone, I'm gone. Same thing as amateur wrestling; when I won the world championships in Olympics, I left and I never went back. Same for pro."

--

Question is, with two years left with TNA, what does the "retirement year" actually mean? He's maintained for years now that he fully intended to retire in TNA, and that he'd wrestle his last match with TNA, but the way the answer is formulated is somewhat questionable, as he doesn't actually attribute it to being with TNA, specifically.

Thoughts?

He's just keeping his doors open, which is a smart business move. It sounds like he's saying "look, this is where my heart is now, but I've also got a wallet and a legacy." Kurt could have a WrestleMania retirement if he wants it; why shut that door unnecessarily?

That being said, I'm always incredibly suspicious of the professional wrestling retirement. I don't doubt that performers mean it when they say it (most of the time), but time has a way of changing opinions.

yeah i would say keeping his door open. If wwe went and offered him a Lesnar type deal in 3 years he would probably bite. However i see him ending his career in TNA the schedule is friendly and he seems to be happy there.

However i would like to point out Kurt says like in his amateur when he was done he was done. Did kurt forget that he was training for the olympics this last year. I don't expect him to fully retire in 3 years. he will come back for a match or two hes too good and too big of a draw not to.

Yea he is definitely waiting to see who has the more appealing way to end his career either the wwe or tna. I couldn't imagine him back in a wwe ring which is quite sad but he has done brilliantly in the tna especially in feuds with AJ Styles, Samoa Joe and Abyss. When he does hang the red, white and blue boots up for the last time, the wrestling will mourn in the retirement of a world class athlete who is definitely one of the G.O.A.T.

Maybe his hope for the last year is a Legend's contract with WWE, a few matches, an huge impact......and a truckload of money.

Let's see if Vince is willing to give it to him. Maybe an arrangement is already in place with the E, because it seems awfully presumptuous of Kurt to suggest it will all happen the way he says......even though he isn't specifically mentioning Stamford.......yet.

Question is, with two years left with TNA, what does the "retirement year" actually mean? He's maintained for years now that he fully intended to retire in TNA, and that he'd wrestle his last match with TNA, but the way the answer is formulated is somewhat questionable, as he doesn't actually attribute it to being with TNA, specifically.

Personally, I think it means what I have always thought was going to happen. Kurt Angle will wrestle the next two years under contract with Impact Wrestling. Then, he will return to WWE for one year, ending his career on the biggest stage possible in professional wrestling. It's great that he's been toeing the company line and saying all the right things, stating that he will retire in a TNA ring. And I don't doubt for a second that he's truly enjoyed his time in TNA, and that it's been beneficial to him and his quality of life. But at the end of the day, an ego the size of Kurt Angle's will never be content to wrap things up in a smaller venue or in a lesser organization. He's going to want for go out with all of the hype and hoopla that only the WWE can truly provide.

Maybe a guy like Sting is content to leave the high profile of WWE off his résumé. Maybe someone like Jeff Hardy is OK with leaving the pomp and pageantry behind. But that's not how I picture Kurt Angle. He's going to want it all: the money, the recognition, the accolades, the Hall of Fame, etc., I think he will definitely want one more Wrestlemania moment, one more title run, who knows, maybe even a shot at immortality in the Undertaker. And that's what I think these comments are foreshadowing.

Isn't the whole "I left and never went back" called into suspicion by the fact that he trained for, and fully intended to attempt, an Olympic comeback during 2012 but was prevented from seeing it through by injuries?

It's like Michael Jordan's "99.9%" at this point right? Kurt has already proved during the last olympic cycle that he is capable of changing his mind. No Boxer, wrestler, fighter, etc. is ever truly "done for good".

But yeah, as for the limbo "retirement year", I think Kurt is just saying that there is two years left on his TNA deal, and he wants to leave that final year open to assess his options... be that with WWE, back with TNA on the right offer, or even on a long shot just a barnstorming year around the country and/or Japan as a big Kurt Angle retirement tour similar to the one that Jerry Lynn is currently enjoying.

I think he is keeping his doors open for a return to wwe... and I do believe he will retire in TNA and than retire in WWE so he gets the most out of each company. It will be a sad day when kurt angle retires, he is still my favorite wrestler and he will be greatly missed. Kurt Angle could out wrestle most performers when he's in his 60's lol. :worship:

I would like to see Kurt Angle wrestle Punk and Ziggler before he's done though!

Hopefully he intends to end it with WWE, as well he should. This will give him a year to say farewell to the WWE fans and end with an induction into the WWE hall of fame.

Kurt is still a draw and still a favorite and could bring in PPV buys and put asses in the seats for a last year in WWE.

I hope that happens and I can't wait!

Wow to be quite honest im surprised he has not retired already. He says three years he is done right? So two years left on his TNA contract and that leaves one year left. Vince and i have said this would cream in his pants if Kurt said he wanted to come back. Can you imagine Kurts final year in Pro wrestling wrestling for the E?

Im sure he will be signed to a legends contract. Hell he could have a feud with Daniel Bryan that would be an entertaining feud if they let Bryan showcase his talents. We all know what Kurt can do. Kurt against Punk that has big time dollar signs and wow what matches they could have. hell even Ziggles and kurt could have some awesome feuds.

Come on Kurt im beggin you for your final year and im sure WWE would give you want you want make your final year in the E! Get your DVD of your story all your best matches and go into your rightful spot the HOF!

I'd love to see Kurt come back to the WWE for a few matches at the end of his career. He's one of the bigger draws of our generation and I'm sure Vince wouldn't mind sending one of his creations out the right way. Kurt won't wrestle a WWE schedule though he may do a Rock or Brock type thing where he comes in for big matches has awesome feuds and leaves which would be totally fine because he's Kurt Angle. If he does stay in TNA it won't necessarily be a bad thing either. He is probably their biggest draw ever and he could be the first inductee into the TNA hall of fame. Regardless of where Kurt ends his career it will be remembered as a great one as he was at the top of the card for nearly the whole thing.

If he does stay in TNA it won't necessarily be a bad thing either. He is probably their biggest draw ever and he could be the first inductee into the TNA hall of fame. Regardless of where Kurt ends his career it will be remembered as a great one as he was at the top of the card for nearly the whole thing.

Sting is already in there Hall of fame. Kurt will no doubt get in but i would say 4th or 5th guy in.

I agree with the others that said he is leaving the door open for retirement in WWE. If they offered him a good deal I could see him working some matches signing the legends contract and going into the HoF. I would love to see Angle/Punk Angle/Bryan. I am always skeptical of wrestler's retirements, and as much as I have enjoyed Angle in TNA I have always wanted him to finish up in WWE.

As a "retirement year", I really think he either means a managerial year in TNA, or he wants a final year "at the top" like he was a few years back in '06.

Now, I don't mean at the top stealing the spotlight from someone like Aries(or whoever is at the top at that time), but as a legend; facing off WITH those young guys, or, having a run with the World heavyweight championship and "passing the torch" onto somebody (It's too early to say who it could be specifically, people come and go and times change).

As far as a managerial turn goes, it could be of a faction as Kurt has past experience (The Main Event Mafia), or it could be for a single superstar, "inheriting" his experience, plus, using this technique to "pass the torch".

For those that think that the retirement year could be a WWE return, (as good as it sounds) I doubt it. He's stated several times that he will never return there.

I know that the WWE "made" him, that he didn't have a memorable retirement (from the WWE) that he deserved (as he was one of McMahon's top stars and his departure was sudden) and that he could have so many great matches with the likes of Daniel Bryan and CM Punk. But again, he has said it many times before:
"I'll never go back to WWE".
He's gone on several anti-WWE rants in the past, especially after he left them and a few have even popped on his first few days of TNA iMPACT!
For those reasons, I highly disagree with those that claim he will; return to the WWE.

For those that disagree with me, click on the links below:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/wrestling/3458702/Kurt-Angle-Ill-never-go-back-to-WWE.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFq6KDaAt7w

He's just trying to keep buzz going by making open ended statements, it's pretty textbook Angle, he's always tried to keep interviews controversial as it keeps people talking about him and relevant.

I would expect to see Kurt have his final match in WWE, which in a way would be a shame to TNA who have looked after him well since he joined them after his personal issues which cost him his job at WWE, but this is wrestling. People go where the biggest money is.

And in this case WWE would be able to offer Kurt a very light "Lesnar-esque" contract, with just a couple of matches, so promo work and a final career-ending match at Wrestlemania which I would personally love to see, and it is something that Kurt deserves.

I believe he will be a HOF entry for sure, he more than deserves it. Angle has been one of- if not THE best wrestler in the world for a decade now, and Vince will be more than happy to add The Wrestling Machine to his HOF. A WM final match, a HOF entry, a new triple disc DVD on Kurt, and a Legends Contract. Sounds the perfect way for Kurt to retire for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back