KoRn - "We were Dubstep before Dubstep was Dubstep".

Johnny Scumm

InZayn In The Membrane
"We were Dubstep before Dubstep was Dubstep".

I can't remember where exactly, but I read an article that was all based on KoRn's new album, "The Path Of Totality". For this album, they've collaborated with multiple dubstep artists, (Skrillex & Kill The Noise for example).

It's been given mixed reviews, much like Metallica's "Lulu", where a band has done something which would usually be a bit out of the ordinary and different. However, KoRn, a band who are known for pushing boundaries and making music that's a bit different (see Twist), have said that they were Dubstep first and that they help to pass the torch to the people who say that they created the genre.

[YOUTUBE]cK8YSsjIaDs[/YOUTUBE]

The first song from the "Path Of Totality" album was "Get Up", which featured Skrillex, possibly the most known Dubstep artist as of late on it. Now, listening to KoRn (the old stuff) and more recently, Dubstep, I can hear that there are similarities, but is Johnathan Davies pushing it a bit by pretty much saying that his band created a Genre? I would think they are, because there's also a large range of differences between Dubstep & KoRn, but enough from me.

What do you think about the new KoRn album "The Path of Totality"
What do you think of the statement, where KoRn mention they were the ones who were Dubstep first?

I'm not a big fan of dubstep, I have limited knowledge of it. But really, lets try to get a grasp on shit here. Korn puts a dubstep person in their album and they are Dubstep before Dubstep?

Granted he helped get Skrillex out in the market. But lets get real here? That track on Get up! was sort of lackluster when you look at other artists. Dubstep has been around since the early 2000's and he is trying to take claim to that?

John is a great artist, with a lot of talent. Great lyrics, and a band that has grown a lot in their years. But the music he was putting out in the early 2000's can hardly be called dubstep.

I love the lyrics to Get up! And I enjoy the song, but their are so many better musicians than Skrillex on the Dubstep scene right now it isn't even funny. I just hope that the better bands can get out before Skrillex-step takes hold. Because he might have talent, but as said their are much better artists than him.

Calling him the best artist in that genre would be a farce, I just hope more artists can get out in the open.

I believe John is cashing a check his ass can't back up atm here. I'm glad to see him helping out an artist get what he deserves, but a few twists in their songs that sound like dubstep hardly makes them Dubstep artists.

I'm all for breaking the mold, and making your band expand for different viewers. But shit, no.

What do you think about the new KoRn album "The Path of Totality":
I think if they weren't trying so damn hard to get their fanbase, or A fanbase back, this would be slightly, tolerable. But since it's so obvious that they are hopping on the dubstep bandwagon ONLY because of the 5 minute popularity for the moment. Its pathetic. I can't lie. I've listened to KoRn since 94, and to see them go back on SO many things they've said, disrespect former band members, and hop on trendy things just to try and stay relevent is sad.

What do you think of the statement, where KoRn mention they were the ones who were Dubstep first?
Complete....and UTTER...Bullshit. If ANYTHING, Trent Reznor, was dubstep before dubstep was dubstep, that can't even be debated. The thing is, Trent is actually a musician, dubstep ''artists'' are people behind keyboards

That is the problem with music tastes though Twiztid, all musicians take time and effort to make their trade. Just because you might not like the music dosen't mean that they don't put anything into their trade.

All eletronic artists are hardworking in my eyes. It takes tallent to make that kind of music, be it Rave, Techno, Dubstep, or trance Ect.

Even artists like Skrillex diserve respect, I might not like them. I might nitpick them, but they work for their music just like every other musician.

The argument of learning an instrument can come into play. Have you ever seen even the most simple beat maker? It literaly could take months to learn all the works to it. I have respect for musicans, but John Davis is not a dubstep artist. He never was and never will be.

I really like the album. It's something new. I'd been talking to some mates about bands mixing dubstep and metal, we never thought it would be Korn to do it, maybe Suicide Silence or Bring me the Horizon or Asking Alexandria.

As for Korn being dubstep before dubstep. That did make me laugh. I listened to the self titled album today and it sounded like nu-metal. So it's really a load of crap,

I thought after Follow The Leader people stopped listening to Korn. Guess I was wrong.

That is the problem with music tastes though Twiztid, all musicians take time and effort to make their trade. Just because you might not like the music dosen't mean that they don't put anything into their trade.

All eletronic artists are hardworking in my eyes. It takes tallent to make that kind of music, be it Rave, Techno, Dubstep, or trance Ect.

Even artists like Skrillex diserve respect, I might not like them. I might nitpick them, but they work for their music just like every other musician.

The argument of learning an instrument can come into play. Have you ever seen even the most simple beat maker? It literaly could take months to learn all the works to it. I have respect for musicans, but John Davis is not a dubstep artist. He never was and never will be.

I am not a fan of Dubstep, and over the past few weeks, I've listened to a bit of it, I STILL don't like it as a genre, though some of it is...ok..

But to see Korn, speak on how they are ''Dubstep'' before it was even a genre is a horrible way to make up for the lack of originality in the steps they are taking.

Some call it ''evolution'', if it didn't come so convieniently once the genre started picking up steam, I MAY have agreed. But it's clear, in sales and attention, KoRn has been waning for years, and when Brian and David left, they really tried to find themselves...thing was, they were doing it off the backs of other's idea's and success.

If you'd give me a moment.

See you on the other side: The first Post Brian Welch album. Jon, for the first time, didn't write every song on it. They had two producers from Nine Inch Nails assist in the process, which shows in a few songs that they were taking cues from Trent's past ideas. (see ''Tearjerker'' ''Throw me away'', and imagine Trent singing them...I can) Even ''Seen it all'' has some NIN industrial elements.

Then we were given their next album, ''Untitled: Korn II''
Which once again, same NIN producers, and Jon didn't write the lyrics on his own. The industrial elements more prevalent.(Listen to ''Kiss'' ''Do what they say'' the NIN sound is all over it) The album itself was very directionless. They even have a song called ''Evolution'' in it, which, if the album didn't sound just like the one before it, it may have been.

And like most bands that lack direction, and their popularity is on the losing end...They ''go back to their roots'', which korn already did BEFORE this, or tried to, with Take a look in the mirror. But, this time, they went back and got their original producer, Ross Robinson, the father of Nu metal, hands down, to make their sound what it used to be. And almost succeded. Problem was, No Head and No David, leaves out two major elements of the sound. This was the better of the Post David/Brian albums, and sounded like KoRn was going in a better, direction, even if they just sounded like their old selves....

The sales, STILL not what they used to be, so they went back to the drawing board, problem was, it was someone elses board, They hopped on a genre that is popular for the moment, and tried to claim it as their own.

I know it's long winded, and I mean no disrespect to peoples opinions, but I have listened to them since 94, and to see them fall into trends and cliches, as a fan, is very sad. I have heard the album, but I want even put it on my ipod, for free

I have not heard the album, nor do I want to, but you gotta give them props for trying something knew, even if dubstep sucks.

Dubstep is dance music, Korn doesn't play dance music. Dubstep has a certain appeal to a certain type of people. Korn doesn't appeal to the vast majority of the core audience that dubstep caters to.

I don't care who they worked with on this new album or what it sounds like because Korn should have stopped trying at least 10 years ago.

I suppose the mix of dubstep with Korn works to a certain extent, however I think that it doesn't work enough if you know what I mean. There old stuff all the way up the Take a look in the mirror was awesome. There is no beating it.

I suppose the mix of dubstep with Korn works to a certain extent, however I think that it doesn't work enough if you know what I mean. There old stuff all the way up the Take a look in the mirror was awesome. There is no beating it.

And coincedentally, that's when Brian left, and an album later David Left, Korn is a SHELL of what they were. I can't STAND the idea of them being a ''dubstep band'', and hope to HELL that this experiment END after this album. And I hear the word ''Evolution'' from dubstep douches that wouldn't know a 'non' single Korn song from a Bieber tune, I'm kicking kidneys

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back