• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Kofi Kingston: Why he is part of the future of the WWE

simpsons_fanatic742

WZPC Intercontinental Champion
When I first saw Kofi on ECW, I was shocked at how much I liked him. Usually I do not take to a new wrestler until a certain time after his arrival, but something about Kofi caught my eye. I thought he was a good in-ring talent and I thoroughly enjoyed his match. Now, some time since his debut, I still think he is a good wrestler and one that has a great future in the WWE.

1) His athleticism is amazing. The moves he performs in the ring are a sight to see and some of the ways in which the moves are done are incredble. His vertical leap is unreal and that helps his move set. The Money in the Bank match at WrestleMania 25 was the m.oment, I believe, where people realized how much Kofi is capable of and what he can accomplish given the chance. One thing that has to be done is emphasis on his finisher. Michael Cole does not sell the Trouble in Paradise at all. They need to identify when the move is done so it doesn't seem like the match is ending so suddenly.

2) His charisma: One thing a wrestler has to have is charisma. If the wrestler can't work the crowd, then they are doomed. They have to engage the crowd in the match and entertain them the whole way through. If a wrestler can't do this, the fans lose interest and so does Vince. Kofi just beems charisma. The man comes out of the curtain full of energy, pumps up the crowd with his upbeat personality, and his ring work gains good reaction from the crowd. After a couple of prominent feuds, Kofi will be fully over with the crowd.

3) His ability to work with different opponents: Kofi has had many matches in the WWE, but not with the same type of opponent. He has worked with Jericho, Kane, Mysterio, Matt Hardy, and Edge to name a few. These wrestlers are not all the same, yet Kofi has pulled on very good matches with each of them. He can work with the cruiserweight Mysterio, the technician Jericho, the monster Kane, and the heel tactics of Matt Hardy and the opportunist in Edge. Kingston holds that ability to compete in match with different wrestlers and make it a good match and one that the fans get enjoy.

4) His gimmick: I have heard alot of people on these forums taking about Kofi's gimmick and how he has no direction. To me, I can compare Kofi's gimmick to that of William Regal's. Regal is the uptight, sophisticated, and sometimes vicious Englishman. Kofi Kingston is the upbeat, fun-loving, athletic Jamaican. Of course, Regal has had the chance to enhance his character and make people react to it, so if Kofi can get the chance to improve his gimmick, I think it will be accepted by the fans. Give him some mic time and something to fight for and that will help his gimmick gain some substance.

So there are my top reasons why Kofi is going to be part of the future of the WWE. He has alot of the skills needed to be accepted by the fans, he has the talent that Vince McMahon can trust in, and the ability to work with a wide variety of opponents.

Feel free to debate any of my points or bring up your own points for or against Kofi Kingston.

agreed, totally. there have been few new wrestlers recently whom i have seen as real talents who have great ability with different guys, great pops from the crowd and young enough to potentially have a great career. kofi and evan bourne are two more recent favourites (just wish bourne would move to raw or sd and not get lost in the shuffle). kofi was awesome in mitb, especially when he ran up the ladder being held by kane (i think kane neway!). give him mic time and maybe a feud or another title reign- mid card once it has some prestige back and i think your right, he could be a real one to watch in the coming months/years if the wwe treat him right.

... and they should really consider a main event title holder (wwe, whc) who isnt how can i say this... white!

mark henry was the one holding the ladder and the one saving kofi's ass from getting seriously injured when he came down. but ya, the guy is simply amazing. i like everything about him. i don't mark out big time for him, but he's a guy that i can see holding a world championship right now. he just needs to be pushed in the right direction (pretty much like anybody) and he will be awesome.

if WWE wants to take a shot across TNA's bow, they'd elevate guys like Kofi, Borne, Jeff, Rey, and all their other high-flyers...TNA made its initial mark with their X-Division, and thats why alot of people watched, now the X-Guys are gettin burried in 2-minute circus acts and cheesy gimmicks every other week. I think if WWE could book some good matches with the cruiserweights, they'd eat away at TNA's fanbase

glad to see Kofi getting some love. he's definitely one of the brighter stars that ive seen today. he's a little small but i am not one to ask a wrestler to get bigger or anything that could lead them to roid use but Kofi definitely has a future. i havent heard him on the mic yet, but his gimmick definitley needs an overhaul of sort to really be something. ive been begging in random threads that he needs to (at some point) went the King of the Ring and don the King Kofi title. he needs to establish enough face time before he could ever do that. im liking it though

if WWE wants to take a shot across TNA's bow, they'd elevate guys like Kofi, Borne, Jeff, Rey, and all their other high-flyers...TNA made its initial mark with their X-Division, and thats why alot of people watched, now the X-Guys are gettin burried in 2-minute circus acts and cheesy gimmicks every other week. I think if WWE could book some good matches with the cruiserweights, they'd eat away at TNA's fanbase

(off Topic) Why I agree with this please dude stay on topic ...... I think that Kingston's character is kind of stale and can get stale fast, but with his athletic skills and charismia he wont get as stale as Regal , I think his career will go along the line of rey mysterio he will constanly be in the Mid card / Tag team level and may get a shot at the main event. I just hope that he runs with the chance in the main event and not flop like rey did.

I wanted kofi to be a rasta-pot head kinda like RVD. With WWE going pg I don't see that taking place. I think in a year or two kofi will be pushed to the main event.

I don't find Kofi's character stale at all. I agree that he should be going places.

I was a fan when he debuted on ECW. He impressed me with his athleticism and his ability to get cheers right off the bat. His feud with Benjamin was fantastic, and I was hoping he'd get elevated to win the ECW championship.

When he won the IC title, the crowd when crazy. That shows something.

I'm a massive Kofi fan, and I believe he'll become a strong midcarder, maybe occasionally teasing the main event. Kinda like Rey.

I have liked Kofi ever since he debuted in the WWE. He had a great feud with Shelton Benjamin on ECW and looked ready to shine after he defeated Jericho at Night of Champions to win the Intercontinental Title. Then, he lost to Santino and Beth Phoenix at Summerslam and has never recovered. He and Punk did become tag team champions but that was brief and now he doesn't have a sense of direction just like R-Truth. He is fairly over with the crowd and I believe will be United States champion by the end of the year.

Yeah, I do think Kofi is going places. I don't watch ECW very much, and I didn't see any of what he did while he was there, but I know that he quickly became one of the most over guy on the roster.
When he moved to Raw, he won the IC title by pinning Jericho clean. That is a firm indication that the WWE likes him. They put him as the work horse in this years MitB, and he did a great job. Many people say he stole the show. Unfortunately he hasn't been rewarded for his fine performance.... yet.
I think it's great that he's being put in a feud with Matt Hardy. While Hardy isn't the greatest wrestler around, he's still a vet and has some really good matches under his belt. He can teach Kofi alot if the have a decent length feud. That'll lead to a US title match (possibly with Regal, if that's who MVP drops to before going to the main event).

I'm calling it right now. Mr. Money in the Bank 2011... Kofi Kingston.

i agree with the king kofi thing but i think that would be a more a heel kinda thing like prince nana in ring of honor

I really enjoy Kofi Kingston. He's got a great look and he's very innovative in the ring. If he wants to be the future of the business though he's going to need to deveop his mic work. He's much like Benjamin in that way. Thus far his promos have been just big smiles and typical babyface stuff with no real substance. The guy has never truly had a personal feud. He was almost there against Benjamin in ECW. He and Punk could have had a feud like that with Legacy or Miz/Morrison but they never got off the ground. Maybe Matt Hardy or William Regal will be the ticket.

I would love to see Kofi go far but right now he just lacks that emotional connection. I almost feel like his biggest plot if you will was when he'd bury dudes in sand during his debut promos.

i agree with the king kofi thing but i think that would be a more a heel kinda thing like prince nana in ring of honor

yeah thats exactly what i think could put him over the top. but the thing that messes it up(at least for now) is that he has to better establish himself as a face before he can do any of that. im looking forward to it either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back