Kofi Kingston...Does He Need A New Gimmick?

@eboney
"" I am not a fan of the boom boom, but let's be real here.. The guy is perfect as a second-level person in the PG Era. The guy is what kids what to look up too: Nice guy who does flips. I know there is that opinion on the forum that Kofi is stale, but as long as he fits in with that demographic the WWE is catering to, I see no rational reason to change him ""

What the kids look up to?? Nice guy who does flips???

You know who rey mysterio is??? Lol

Hence, they need to change his gimmick, not a heel though r-truth has got that covered. Just a change to maybe someone a bit more edgy with some mic/promo time....

Kofi Kingston had a terrible jamaican gimmick but then had a good one when faceing orton in late 2009, he needs that one back i loved how he was aggresive and ruthluss but still a face if creative re hash that then i may like kingston but i dought it.

Kofi definitely needs a character change. He has done everything he could possibly do as his current character. He would not be very believable as a world title contender. I think he either needs a heel turn or just needs to get angry. We saw what Kofi is capable of in his feud with Orton last year. If they bring back that version of Kofi full time then he would get more over and be elevated to the next level in no time because he would be doing more than high flying moves or laughing. It would make the difference between midcarder and champion.

Kofi Kingston is a former 4 time IC Champion, 2 time US Champion, and former tag team Champion. He has basically had the same gimmick since he has been in WWE, and has yet to get a push. Personally i think he is exciting to watch but his gimmick is stale. He needs to turn heel or something or he will be known as a glorified mid carder. Like comeon he lost the IC title, then goes for the next mid card title the US belt and wins that a month later.

Yet to get a Push????? Somebody either hasn't been watching for a while or doesn't know what a push was. Kingston had a terrific feud with Orton and actually was on the push of his life. And then somehow it died incredibly. I think that that his current gimmick is good enough, and the fact that he is a transitional midcard champion is no problem. He is still getting on television and is still relevant in the WWE. I think that he is fine. And if he gets to be the agressive face then I say it is all good.

I think Kofi Kingston should just choose a new career. I mean outside of a few flippies, that theme music, that doesn't even makes sense because now we know he not Jamaican, and kicks to the head. What does he bring to the table...

Go on, I can wait...

Seriously now, I've got all the time in the world...

Yeah, that's what I thought, he had one feud with Orton, and because he smashed a car, everyone started hanging on his nuts. Sure he was a little "Edgier" but I get edgy when I have to poop. So color me unimpressed with Kofi Kingston, because he doesn't have "It" when it comes to getting over to where he should be at given his athletic ability. Its his charisma, he has none, and thats why a cjaracter/gimmick change wouldnt work either.

Please before you comment look at his Indy work the guy has great personatily and can cut a good promo the problem is Stephanie McMahon can not write a good promo for kofi and as for the flip and kick that part of his gimmick because the guy does have great mic work but when McMahon want you to be a high flyer you are going to seem "flipply"

Someone above said Kofi showed no passion. He comes down he ramp all smiles and engages with the crowd. The thing is he doesn't have to get on the mic and cut promos for fan reaction. His style of wrestling gets him over as said before. Sin Cara doesn't talk and gets over well with the people. I like that WWE keeps him mute we already see the first 15-20 minutes of both brands taken up by promos. A backstage interview of him hyping an upcoming match he's in would be good enough. His match with Dolph on Monday night was probably the best I saw the entire night. As previously stated he just needs a good storyline. While it was good seeing him briefly feud Randy Orton the feud really had a horrible storyline. Randy walks out and throws him off ramp. Leave him be there's enough wrestlers getting mic time.

Kofi is as athletic as hell and we got some really good ideas on the table. Allow me my idea - how about some Voodoo Magic? He can still jump around and go nuts, yet develop a darker and intense side.

Quite honestly.....for Kofi to be elevated to the main event picture he would have to do what Jeff Hardy, Christian and Pope Dinero did: Leave. He won't be elevated because if he was going to be it would have been when he was in a program with Orton. It might sound crazy but get out of WWE and show them that you can carry the strap and be a main guy. Then come back and it will be known that you can do it. And when you leave take Mcintyre, Ziggler, Bryan, Swagger and Ryder with you cause your all in the same boat.

If you don't get mic time, you will be called bland by the IWC, thats the way it works. But i would agree with a gimmick change though. He's great when he's jumping off things but apart from that there's not alot to him really for the casual fan to take much notice of him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

But what you all need to know is that WWE superstars these days are saying their own words. Every word is scripted for them to say. When you do this, it is hard for anyone to get over. Unless you are a brilliant actor, it is hard to convey emotion about something which is written for you.

The Rock and Austin got over in their day, because, back then, the top guys could say what they wanted, unscripted (they still had some notes, like to mention their match on PPV, talk about their opponent etc). But they could inject their own feelings and personality into it, so it sounded better.

John Cena would be infinitely better on the mike, if he didn't have to say the scripted garbage TV and sitcom writers write for him. It's the same with Kofi. He can't just say what he likes, he needs to follow the script.

So today's wrestlers aren't as over, because paranoid Vince McMahon wants to organize everything within an inch of its life, lest the media or others criticize him.

Yes, absolutely I mean he's had that same old gimmick for so long and it's just old now. I've never really liked him because of multiple reasons for example he almost won every match he was in, he has a crap gimmick, etc. I think if he had a good image and competed against some real competition such as Randy Orton, The Miz, Dolph Ziggler (in a rivalry that brings prestige back to the US championship), etc he would be able to improve and overall be a great WWE superstar.

I am not a fan of the boom boom, but let's be real here.. The guy is perfect as a second-level person in the PG Era. The guy is what kids what to look up too: Nice guy who does flips. I know there is that opinion on the forum that Kofi is stale, but as long as he fits in with that demographic the WWE is catering to, I see no rational reason to change him.

Agreed! I think if anything Kofi should have stayed on Smack Down. His gimmick fits that brand better, and his mic work is far from good as it is. On Smack Down he can mask his lack of verbal ability behind his great in ring work. Raw is more of the "talk" show, and as long as he is there he will be nothing more than filler. I would personally love to see a more edgy Kofi like the one who was kicking Legacy's ass on a weekly basis, but I think with the demo WWE is reaching out to that will never happen. Kofi is still way over with the "Cena demographic" meaning children and women, he still sales a ton of merchandise and he still gets a good pop WWE has no reason to change him right now.

How about give him and Dolph some mic time? I mean, he wins, he fights, he loses, but he never...EVER talks. When is the last time he has talked before old school raw? Remember old school raw? and that was a pre-taped segment. He messes up once in a promo in 2009, so much so that it was barely a deal and he hasn't held a live mic sense. The guy lacks persona, through creative or a jomo like lack of ability, yet is STILL over.

Heel turn. The WWE needs to be unpredictable. It's lost that air of 'What's going to happen on tonights show?' feel. Even though way back when, you kinda knew what was going to happen, you didnt know how.

His character desperately needs to get some more personality. Even if they don't change his gimmick (does he even really has one?), at least show us what he's all about.
I have no idea what Kofi's character personality is. What are his goals, his agenda, his ideas? I barely even know how his voice sounds. All I know is that he's a wrestler who is friendly with babyfaces and fights against heels, so he's a babyface by default.

Kofi Kingston does not need a new gimmick, no, he needs to develop his current one. Kofi's gimmick still works with the fans, the problem is that he hasn't added any new wrinkles to it for a long time. Remember during his feud with Randy Orton, when he actually had a bit of a mean streak, his character seemed to be totally re-energized. That's what Kofi needs. He needs to be allowed to work with his character, he needs to be given opportunities to broaden what he already has. Whether that comes from feuding with different guys or just getting more mic time, he needs it.

Kofi still has quite a bit of potential, he's been a solid midcard mainstay, but he is, in fact, getting stale. If he was allowed to add a few more wrinkles to his character, develop the gimmick further, he'd possibly be able to work his way up the card. Kofi isn't main event material, not at this juncture, but anything is possible. With a bit of work, he probably could work at that level as an upper midcarder.

I don't think he needs a new gimmick and if turned, he'd just get lost in the current sea of midcard heels. I wouldn't mind Kofi getting some more mic time. If I remember right, he's not bad on the stick. Let him tell Vicki off or call Ziggler out on his methods, or something, I don't know. I'm not asking for a five-minute promo, just a few words here and there would be nice. His feud with Orton showed that there is plenty of leeway with his character, and that he can turn it up when necessary. He doesn't need a complete character overhaul, just some character development/expansion.

Shelton Benjamin 2.0
Is nothing more than a glorified middle card spot monkey and I honestly don't see him going any further than he currently is. Every chance he's gotten to break into the main event, he's fallen short. He's been involved in the same feud with Ziggler for the better part of the past 9-12 months. (The feud started on Smackdown around this time last year) Ziggler has managed to elevate himself into a WHC title win, while Kingston has been a US or IC champion for the better part of the past two years.

For some reason the fans love him, and he gets a constant pop.... but thats what happens when your'e a spot monkey. He needs to work on his promo's, and bring something new to the ring. All the bouncing around and crazy jumping takes away from what he could possibly do to become a main event player. He's not the worst on the roster, but hes far from the best.

I think its no doubt Kofi will eventually be at or near the top, they trust him and he seems to know what he's doing and the crowd always seems to enjoy his presence... I could picture him as like a street thug like heel if they decide to turn him, If they felt they needed to that is... if he pulled somethin like he did with orton they could even keep him as face when they push him

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back