KJ's Review Corner: Anime, Western Animation, Wrestling & More

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
Dragonball Z: Battle Of The Gods
"Toriyama's Backhanded Apology For DB: Evolution"

DragonBallZ-BattleofGods-poster.jpeg

The popularity of the Dragonball Franchise is unmatched. For 30 years it has produced all sorts of media. All starting from the manga to the anime, it's (now non-canon) spin-off, uncountable amounts of videogames, merch and of course nearly 20 movies. However there has been no new televised content based on DBZ in decades outside of 3 specials and the re-edited TV series. Enter this. The 14th DBZ movie. Officially made a part of the Dragonball canon as it was directly worked by it's creator Akira Toriyama. It removes the crap from Dragon Ball GT...... And then puts new crap in it's place. I'll be honest. I didn't like it.

Plot:

An unspecified time after the defeat of Majin Buu and the resurrection of Earth, the heroes celebrate Bulma's birthday. But one person is missing. That person is non-other than the social pariah but still eternally adored Goku. Who's off training on King Kai's mysteriously revived planet to intentionally miss the party of the closest thing to a relative he's ever had. Cunt. As that happens, we're introduced to Beerus. God Of Destruction. Who wakes from a years long slumber and is briefed on what happened on Namek by his servant, Whis. Why Namek if what happened with Majin Buu was so much worse? Well, there's a reason set for the next movie actually. But Beerus hears the term "Super Saiyan" and recalls of a "Super Saiyan GOD" myth he heard from a fish who's never accurate from what Whis says. So he decides to seek Goku to see if that myth is true.

King Kai warns Goku that Beerus is not to be messed with, but Goku is Goku and the idiot want's to his strength against an entity who's job is to blow up planets. He very uncharacteristically shows a lot of arrogance as he showcases his strength to the God at SSJ3. Then uncharacteristically shows a lot of ignorance by attacking head on even though he's clearly outmatched and loses as Beerus heads to Earth to meet with Vegeta to see if he knows anything about the myth. Goku tries to figure out how to get stronger for a rematch because he can't take a hint. King Kai warns Vegeta of Beerus and Vegeta recalls meeting him once so he actually knows not to treat him lightly.

Beerus arrives on Bulmas party and we're then treated to 20 minutes of ridiculousness as Emperor Pilaf from the very first act of Dragonball of all people with his servants, Mai and Shu, appear to steal the Dragonballs. They get caught by Goten and Trunks. The latter of who gets shipped with Mai. A 40+ year old woman in a kid's body, mind you. Meanwhile Beerus and Whis check out the party as Vegeta tries to keep the easily annoyed God calm. It leads to Vegeta in silly scenarios you'd never see him in. For 20 minutes. We also get DRUNK Gohan as Pilaf pulls out a gun and a bullet bounces of Gohan's leg but Videl is normal and she has one in her leg. Dende heals her and we casually learn that Gohan's married and his wife Videl is pregnant. There was 20 minutes to show Pilaf and Vegeta in wacky comedy but not flesh out the character who was the PROTAGONIST for half the series? There's a Monday Night Raw joke there, I know it.

Mr. Buu pigs out and eats Beerus' pudding triggering the God's wrath and proclaiming the destruction of Earth. Fucking pudding, man. Beerus proceeds to mop the floor with everyone including Mystic Gohan who was stronger than Goku and once a very damn important character, but hey "he's bland" so fuck him along with everyone else not called Goku. Bulma puts her foot down and yells at Beerus. She get's slapped for her efforts. Vegeta then ERUPTS. And at SSJ1 actually hurts Beerus. Goku and Gohan couldn't, but Vegeta pissed off could. Fucker didn't even go SSJ3. The setup was right THERE! After some showing off though, Beerus gives him the Fingerpoke of Doom and Vegeta does what he does best. Job.

After shitting on every character not named Goku, Goku arrives and despite him ditching his family on a special occasion to train in the afterlife, everyone practically worships him when he arrives. Remember when Chi-Chi gave him hell for doing it in one of the last DBZ episodes? Akira Toriyama doesn't. Goku decides to summon the Dragon and ask him about the Super Saiyan God and Beerus decides to wait it out to see. Shenron explains that in the original Saiyan homeworld the good Saiyans banded together to purge the evil one's. 5 granted their power to 1 to create....... A God. What? They also failed. FUCKING WHAT?!

The 5 Saiyans gather and test the theory but it doesn't work. Whis gives them a basic math lesson on ratios. If 5 give their power to 1..... You can't pull power out of yourself only to take it right back. Keep in mind there's a scholar in there. They scratch their heads after that lesson in logic wondering where they can get a 6th Saiyan even mentioning Vegeta's brother because we needed an official seal of canocity on that silly tidbit before Videl reveals she's pregnant with a Quarter-breed Saiyan. The future Pan herself. I miss Broly. Gohan then lets us know his dad's shitty parenting rubbed off on him as he has his pregnant wife and unborn child participate in a life-force draining ritual with untold consequences that hasn't been practiced in ages. Vegeta also wonder why Goku gets to be God. He already was, dude. Didn't you see everyone groveling? This is just the formal coronation.

Goku acquires God-like characteristics and becomes leaner.... Why? And the fight is finally on under the condition that if Goku wins Earth is spared. Beerus questions Goku's motivations as Goku replies that he doesn't like having to swallow his pride and depend on rituals to acquire this power and Piccolo notes that the fight looks like a lesson. It's a pretty visually stunning fight too. But Goku loses his God-powers. Somehow his advantage stays. In his base and SSJ1 forms. They battle it out to outer space where Goku unleashes a Kamehameha at full power. But Beerus counters with a familiar move. The Supernova. Freeza's planet destroying maneuver. He sends it down to Earth as Goku refuses to give up thinking about his family. The same people he ditched in the start of all this. Goku digs down deep and stops the attack. How? Not even he knows actually. But he's all drained out and Beerus looks to keep going. Goku asks why and Beerus replies that he just wants Goku to admit defeat. Goku does. DOOMING EARTH. AGAIN! Beerus explains Whis is actually his teacher and there's more powerful beings in other dimensions as Goku collapses in laughter learning he'll never be the strongest like he wanted. YOU'RE A GOD, MAN!

Back down on Earth Beerus says he'll destroy the Earth and shoots a rock. There goes a piece of earth. Ba-dum-dish. Goku makes a believer out of Beerus who looks forward to a friendlier rematch. And pudding. Because that's what caused all this. Beerus eats Wasabi back in his homeworld in the only bit I ever found funny because I actually did that. Goku makes fun of Vegeta who blushes excessively. What, he wasn't degraded enough yet? We then get a bad cover of "Cha-la-Head-Cha-la" in broken English.... Oh my God REALLY broken English, to close things. The last frame we get is the Father-Son Kamehameha scene as Sean Schemmel gives us one last hurrah.

The focus is still entirely on Goku.

My Thoughts:

The writing is terrible. The movie is a 60 minute tribute to Goku with 20 minutes of focus on Vegeta. Most of which was him making an ass out of himself before doing something rather unrealistic only to look small next to God Goku. Vegeta, you're Dolph Ziggler bro. Goku is John Cena. Seriously. Watch the credits. It shows panels with the manga focusing almost entirely on Goku and glaringly skipping Gohan's major moments and even most of Vegeta's. There's not even a sight of Future Trunks. That's basically what this boils down to. No one other than Goku matters. He got the fancy God power up. Everyone else was made to look like an ass. Beerus for the most part was an interesting character, but nothing deep. God of Destruction. That was as deep as it was going to get for a non-villian. He's just doing his job and being curious. Terrible teacher though.

The thing that makes this worse is that the movie is built on the premise of humbling Goku. He admits defeat for seemingly the first time in his life. There was a point when he wasn't the be-all-end-all, you know? Secondly he was forced to quit when the Earth was at stake. Let me repeat. He had to GIVE UP ON SAVING EARTH. It wasn't a friendly sparing match like the beginning and there was a point in the climax where Beerus told Goku to stop treating fights like a game because more often than not it leads to life and death. And until the punchline in the end, it only led to death. The only thing to let you know everything would be alright is of course the fact that Pan is born before the end of DBZ. Then of course there's the ridiculous inconsistencies with everyone's skill level. Vegeta SSJ1 (no sparks as shown and explained earlier by Goku so it wasn't 2) does more damage to Beerus than Goku at level 3 or Mystic Gohan and Gotenks doesn't even bother with Super Saiyan 3.

There is zero character development. Gohan's relationship progressed behind everyone's back and we don't even know he's married until Chi-Chi screamed it out randomly midway through the movie. Vegeta is humiliated in unfunny ways. Remember when he was gonna blow up Earth on a fit? Or when he didn't give a shit about his kid or know the mothers name? DBGT treated him with more respect even though the fucker grew a mustache, cut his hair and drove his daughter around. Akira Toriyama said this movie was supposed to bring the series to it's DB roots. Which roots? The martial arts series with dirty comedy on the side? I didn't see it.

Dragon-Ball-Z-Battle-of-Gods-Australia-Release.jpg

Praised be thy Goku. God Of Attention & Anti-Sociality.

Vegeta_Super_Saiyan_3_by_DragonballXE.jpg

Haha. Nope.

tumblr_m9y71xJSBD1qbw5soo1_500.jpg

When drama and character development were a thing. And Gokuism wasn't.

Rating: D-

The nice visuals from the fight take almost an hour of pointlessness to get to and the lessons learned are broken just like the characterization. I seriously hope the sequel is better. Otherwise, hand things over to someone new, Akira. Want a good DBZ movie? Watch Worlds Strongest or Cooler's Revenge. But if you're a devout follower of Gokuism.... Well here you go. Worship away, he's officially a god now.

Coming up next:

Don't know what exactly I'll do next, but Legend Of Korra and ROH: Final Battle seem to be the most likely. If you've got suggestions, comments or recommendations, go ahead.

ROH: Final Battle 2014
"Still A Work In Progress"
10384859_10152819512296328_3212117988790032847_n.jpg

Attendance: 1,500-ish
Commentators: Nigel McGuinness, Steve Corino, Kevin "Hermie" Kelly

This is ROH's premier event. Their Wrestlemania. OK, more like their Bound For Glory. Their Lockdown? It's the one they build up to the most. The main event as you can see above is Adam Cole challenging Jay Briscoe for the World title in a Fight Without Honor. Think Monsters Ball with no Abyss. As for the undercard? There's really not much. Lethal vs Sydal for the TV title and the Time Splitters pay a visit to face Red Dragon for the Tag Team titles. Elgin butts heads with Ciampa in a battle of the idiots. Anyway, on yonder.

The Presentation:

This is a big thing for me as aesthetics make a product seem much better than what it probably is. The show starts with a rather low budget opening package detailing One..... Final..... Battle. Bitch. The rest look the same and the theme is very generic. Which sucks because they tend to get indy bands for entrance themes. There's a monitor so that's a big plus. And a disco ball. Hm. It looks very good compared to other ROH events and anything TNA has done since heading to New York, so yeah this is a pass for me. The arena is very peculiar too. I'd like to see more shows here from TNA, ROH and others if it weren't for the shit crowd.

The Show:

The show starts with the crowd chanting the show. Then the Young Bucks. Then they want wrestling. The fucking show just started! This is already a bad crowd.

Match #1:

4 Corner Survival: Mark Briscoe vs Caprice Coleman vs Hanson vs Jimmy Jacobs

First fall to a finish and only 2 guys can be in the ring at once. Mark makes me smile. Caprice.... Exists. Hanson is awesome but.... What's with all these WZCW rip offs? Jacobs comes back to ROH after going on a stable creating tour. Seriously, he made two more in other indy companies.

This is a decent opening match as Hanson gets to show off. The guy has promise. He's smooth, big, strong and has a unique look. But here's my problem with the match. Why were Coleman and Jacobs needed? This same match time happened at Glory By Honor about 2 weeks before this show. Hanson and Mark were involved. Speaking of Mark, why's he so low on the card? He's popular and the World Champion's brother and was a part of the big feud against the Kingdom. Quite the headscratcher from a booking point of view.

Rating: C-

Jacobs and Whitmer talk about Adam Page. And how tonight he'll grab the brass ring. They seem to go a bit back and forth over whether Page is fit for the group or not.

We recap Page vs Strong. Last year at Final Battle, Eddie Edwards said goodbye to ROH but Jimmy Jacobs attacked him for leaving and formed a stable. Because that seems to be all the fucker ever does. Roderick Strong and BJ Whitmer joined and they called themselves "The Decade" because they've been in ROH for over a decade (and haven't bothered changing much in that time either) and will show young boys how it's done. I'd compare them to the Main Event Mafia but they had more than one guy who held a World title. Adam Page was their chosen protege and was whipped into shape until turning on Strong to set this up.

Match #2:

Adam Page (With The Decade)vs Roderick Strong

Page is still pretty green. His shots were pretty sloppy and he seems forced when acting all mean. But you can see progress compared to last year. But to be honest, this was barely competitive. Page would hit Strong consistently, but Roddy constantly came back hitting big moves over and over. The end comes with Roderick locking the Stronghold (Boston Crab) and Page passing out not wanting to tap. I think they were aiming for the ol' "he has heart" bit but A) Page is a heel and not turning B) He wasn't in it that long.

Rating: C+

We recap what most would say is the battle of the idiots. One in kayfabe, the other seemingly in real life. Tomasso Ciampa is called "The Sicilian Psychopath" for a reason and has been rather jumpy to get a World title shot. Even attacking non-wrestlers. That drew the ire of Nigel McGuinness who warned him he'd be fired if he didn't behave. Over the weeks Ciampa would try to do right but he'd either get provoked or hit someone by accident. Because that's totally common. Meanwhile Michael Elgin lost the World title to Jay Briscoe and was deported to Canada because he forgot to renew his visa. That may or may not have been kayfabe. If it was true, way to be irresponsible. If it was a story pitched by him, never let him in a creative board meeting. Elgin would return and start instigating people showing he's a crybaby. So lets put the two klutzes in one match.

Match #3:

Tomasso Ciampa vs Michael Elgin

Wrestling has an unhealthy obsession with crazy wrestlers. Ciampa wins the entrance of the night award with an awesome video. Elgin has a new theme. This was a pretty good match. With Ciampa trying to control himself while Elgin didn't give a shit. Back and forth as two big bulls (for ROH standards) hit each other with heavy moves. It gets a little slow at times but the big moves make up for that mostly. The ending comes when Ciampa accidentally knocks out the ref. Nigel gets up and stares before leaving. Kelly implies its to get a new ref and Steve implies it's to get the pink slip but Elgin hits a Butterfly Brainbuster for the win. And Nigel never came back out. Matter of fact, it's been 3 weeks and no word on what the hell Nigel did with Ciampa. Brilliant GM that Nigel.

Rating: B

ROH announces they'll return to PPV on March 1st for their 13th Anniversary show. Cool.

Match #4:

Cedric Alexander & The Addiction vs ACH & The Young Bucks

Exhibition Trios match here. ACH and the Bucks in a trifecta of shitty psychology. I found out the difference between The Addiction and Bad Influence. Bad Influence are funny and great in the ring. The Addiction is great in the ring. This..... Should've opened the show. It's a spotfest. Little to say really. ACH, Alexander and the Bucks fly all over the place while Kaz and Daniels remind us there's this thing called pacing. Radical concept that one. The Bucks on the other hand.... spam Superkicks like 10 year olds playing Here Comes The Pain while Steve sounds like a moron screaming it at the top of his lungs each time. Sorry, some might like it, I think it's fucking stupid. That's not a gimmick, it's lazy. The win comes for ACH and The Bucks when they hit the..... Meltzer Driver. Are these morons trying to appease an audience or Wrestling Observer Newsletter? And ACH hits a 450. It's a filler match and not really a bad one since we weren't treated to 20 minutes of ACH "having heart" before doing something illogical.

We recap RD Evans vs Moose. RD took control of Prince Nana's Embassy.... I guess he stole trademarking rights?? Fast forward to 2014 and after a streak of wins, RD was screwed out of the TV title when Moose turned on him with Stokely Hathaway orchestrating it under Prince Nana's orders. Veda Scott hasn't picked a side.

Match #5:

Moose (with Stokely Hathaway & Prince Nana) vs RD Evans

Moose is NFL Offensive tackle Quinn Ojinnaka and has a very cheesy theme. RD comes out to the 1812 Overtune. He also may or may not be Archibald Peck from CHIKARA. And he's billed from Manitoba. Not Manitoba, Canada. Just Manitoba. The first minute of the match has Moose hitting a Dropkick that would make AJ Styles blush. The rest? Poor RD is all I can say. As he botches several spots and midway through the match he starts to acknowledge it. This was a very weak performance from his part. The not-Embassy gets ejected and the ending comes when Moose is about to hit a Spear but Veda stops him. She faces RD and hits a low blow to...... Let Moose hit the Spear he was already about to hit. OK? I guess the botches weren't degrading enough. The ending accentuates a rather terrible match. Moose looked damn sweet if you want anything positive.

Nana lets RD know karma is a bitch. I thought it was a moral concept, but whatever.

We recap "#Reborn" Matt Sydal's return to ROH and him turning down The House Of Truth to set up a match against TV Champion Jay "I'm Not Imitating Ric Flair I Swear" Lethal. He talks with the same pace, he holds the title the same way, he even says his hat is worth more than Sydal before chucking it away. He's totally not ripping off Ric Flair.

Match #6:

ROH World Television Championship: Matt Sydal vs Jay Lethal c (With Truth Martini & J. Diesel)

Why there's a pound before "Reborn" in Sydal's nickname is beyond me. Lethal demands to be proclaimed as "The Greatest #1 Generation Wrestler Ever". Hard to do when you're imitating a great #1 generation wrestler. This is actually a very solid match. I give Lethal a lot of flack but that's because he's a shitty heel with a shitty finisher. Fenix does it when he's Irish Whipped so it makes sense the opponent is caught off guard with a Handstand Cutter much like Tajiri's Handstand Elbow. Lethal telegraphs that he's gonna do the cartwheel before a Cutter because....... it's empowering? Truth on the other hand is fun. He takes pictures mid-match. It's a good back and forth match between the two high fliers. The end comes when Martini interferes. Sydal then fights off Diesel and whacks Martini with the Book of Truth. He then goes for the Shooting Star Press and Lethal beautifully echoes the time Randy Orton RKO'ed Sydal mid-move while he SSP's Martini. Awesome, awesome spot. Which Lethal instantly throws down the shitter because Lethal's Cutters don't work unless they're preceded by a fucking cartwheel. CHANGE THE FINISHER, CUNT.

Rating: B- The finish fucked it up.

We look at Times Square. I have a lot of relatives there and have never been there sadly.

Match #6

ROH World Tag Team Championships: Timesplitters (Alex Shelley/Kushida) vs Red Dragon c (Bobby Fish/Kyle O'Reilly)

The Dragon's took the IWGP Jr. Tag Team titles from the Timesplitters to set this up. Fish and O'Reilly aren't really that heelish but we're told they trashed the Jr Tag League Trophy they won which is a big no-no. Was it an accident or something? The crowd chant's "Everybody" and then "We Want Wrestling". This crowd is worthless. The match on the other hand? Is very damn good and very fast paced. Remember when I shat on the Bucks and ACH? Compare them to this match. You have your highs. You have your lows. You pace, you take your time with framing spots, the crowd has time to digest and you have time to tell a story and it looks marvelous as a result. This is tag team wrestling 101 and a must watch for tag team wrestling fans. The ending comes when the champs hit Chasing The Dragon. It doesn't get the 3 but O'Reilly instantly hooks a Cross Arm Breaker to end the match with brilliant psychology there.

I do have a bit of an issue in that the match had no real heat due to it being mostly a placeholder and veiled advertisement for Wrestle Kingdom 9. Awesome match still. Good job.

Rating: A

We go straight to the main event package. Where the fuck did Bennett and Taven go? Were they in Japan? Anyway, the feud started when Cole first won the World title nearly 2 years ago. He Superkicked Briscoe and turned heel. On several times, Cole escaped with the title until losing it to Michael Elgin. Then Briscoe won it back. Cole won Survival Of The Fittest to set this one up. He also attacked Papa Briscoe who had told Jay to shake Cole's hand when he first won the title for the long callback.

Main Event:

ROH World Heavyweight Championship Fight Without Honor: Adam Cole vs Jay Briscoe c

Cole's theme reminds me of Christian's theme. The Waterproof Blond version. Kevin Kelly says Briscoe is the most credible World Champion at that time. Given TNA was off the air and Brock Lesnar was AWOL, he's somewhat right. Buuuuuut..... You have to argue he's better than Hiroshi Tanahashi and Alberto Del Rio.

I grew up on WWC. And that was built on the hero being screwed over and coming back for revenge in a bloodbath of a match. Just like this brutal match. This is BLOODY. This is BRUTAL. This feels PERSONAL. It's basically Hell In A Cell when it meant something. Minus the cage. Tables are shattered. Chairs fly. We get staplers. Kendo sticks are broken. They fake us out with the athletic commission coming out to stop the match. We get thumbtacks. Hey, that Monsters Ball comparison was closer than I thought. Then we get an absolutely sick spot as Adam Cole drops tacks into Jay's mouth and then Superkicks him. Blood and tacks fly off Jay's mouth in a brutal visual. The match ends on a poetic note as Jay lays the World title in front of Adam. He reaches for it in his confusion but his face when he realizes Jay is stepping on the title is priceless. Jay Driller and the 3 count.

Rating: A+

The show ends with both men layed out and the ring full of tacks, chairs, sticks, tables, the title and streamers covering everything to highlight the carnage.

Overall Thoughts:

This show ended on a very high note. It was built on the main event entirely as none of the other matches built on the card came close to it. But that produces my problem with this show. It's their biggest. But it felt more like a B-PPV with a major blow off match for a main event rather than what they work for the year. On a realistic scale compare it to Bound For Glory between 2006 and 2012. There was always a big semi-main event like LAX vs Styles and Daniels, Angle vs Morgan, Storm vs Roode or Sting vs Hogan. That was missing here and the key ingredient to make this show stand out. The title matches delivered well enough especially the Tag titles and World title matches. Certainly worth the effort to watch. I look forward to Hanson and Moose's growth. I hope Page keeps learning but he's got a long way to go. ACH and the Bucks can fuck off and someone needs to dethrone Lethal already. I wish ROH a better year than 2014 which was certainly not a bad year at all. And the crowd was shit. I hope it's a one time thing because the venue looks cool.

[youtube]wDFIWNk8LxE[/youtube]
Linkin Park, 3 Days Grace, lets rock baby!

tumblr_ngato9geix1qivspno1_400.gif

OH MY GOD!!!

Overall Rating: B

Next time:

788210183497179028.jpg

The Legend Of Korra
"The Controversial Sequel"

Avatar-The-Legend-Of-Korra-Poster.jpg

This is the follow up to the Nickelodeon smash hit, "Avatar: The Last Airbender". An animated action series of massive success, winning awards, critical acclaim and a movie that was sadly directed by Hollywood's biggest fuck-up, M. Night Shyamalan. How do you fuck a blockbuster script? Ask him. Eventually, the writers of Last Airbender got the OK for a follow-up. A sequel set about 70 years after the original. It was also created with the fans of the original in mind. It ended in 2008 meaning fans were older teens and as such, so are the core characters. This series, as opposed to the original, is 4 separate story arcs instead of the large 3 season/act structure Avatar did. As such, this'll be 4 synopsis' of each book/season.

Book 1: Air

This where we learn of the main characters. We're welcomed with a recap of the events of Avatar and the Avatar concept by none other than Tenzin. Son of Aang. Followed by our new Avatar. Korra. Who at 4 years of age is shown Fire, Water and Earthbending before declaring: "I'm the Avatar! You gotta deal with it!". Talk about establishing a character. Fast forward to her late teens and she's shown mastering those elements under the White Lotus and the 80+ year old Katara. Old people are incredibly spry in this franchise. We also meet Tenzin and his family. Pregnant wife Pema, fart machine Meelo, quirky Ikki and calm Jinora. Wanting to learn airbending from the only Airbending master alive, Korra asks to join Tenzin on Republic City. Capital of the recently created "United Republic". It used to be Fire Nation occupation Earth territory. But Tenzin says no and that he'll come back soon to train her with Katara. But Korra is stubborn as fuck and goes to Republic City anyway with Katara's blessing.

She stops a gang of thugs and causes damages to the city labelling her a destructive savior and of course drawing controversy. She's brought to the Police Department and we meet the chief. Lin Beifong. Toph's daughter. But Tarrlok, a Water tribe rep of the city council enlists Korra to fight "equalists". A cultish group of non-benders wanting to create a non-bending world. As that starts off, Korra also meets Bolin. A quirky Earthbender and his brother Mako, a Firebender. Street rats orphaned when a Firebender killed their family. This franchise has a bad obsession with killer Firebenders. They join a "Pro-Bending" league but that becomes the stage to showcase what the Equalists can truly do. As we learn their masked leader, Amon, can actually remove Bending just like Aang did to Ozai. This creates fear in Korra who has trouble with Airbending and can't even create a puff of air. Add to that, a love... Ill call it a square, is created. Korra has a crush on Mako. But Mako is dating rich girl Asami. Bolin has a crush on Korra. This was PLOWED by in about 3 episodes. Asami is the daughter of Hiroshi Sato, industrialist and creator of "Satomobiles". He's pretty much Henry Ford. His wife was killed by...... Wait for it..... A Firebender. Jesus Christ. He later shows he actually hates Mako and asks Asami to join him for the coolest moment of the season. She doesn't.

Tarrlok becomes obsessive about the Equalists to the point becoming judgmental of any non-bender, putting up curfews and downright oppressing freedom. Korra confronts him but learns that Tarrlok is a Bloodbender. Not just a regular one. Psychic and capable of doing it all without a full moon. Talk about hitting the superpower lottery. Korra is kidnapped and forced to meditate for an answer learning of a criminal Aang fought once who had the same skills. Amon comes calling while the rest of the heroes storm the Equalist base looking for Korra. Amon takes away Tarrloks bending but Korra barely gets away. Eventually, Amon decides to make a big move. Kidnapping Tenzin and his kids to rid the world of Airbending, forcing our heroes to call on the Fire Nation navy led by Iroh. Grandson of Zuko and probably Mai. As the battle unfolds we learn Amon is Tarrloks brother and son of the mob boss Aang fought. Both kids were put through training from hell and as such developed their respective characters. Mako and Korra battle Amon directly, but Korra is caught and loses her bending skills. All hope seems lost but she finally Airbends to send Amon into the ocean where his ruse is revealed.

Amon and Tarrlok abandon the city as they talk about starting over but that goes nowhere because Tarrlok blows up the boat, killing the two of them. Dark. Korra on the other hand is depressed now reduced to simple Airbending. But she gets a vision from Aang who helps her recover her powers as well as enter the Avatar State for the first time. She then helps everyone else recover too and all is good. Mako breaks up with Asami and goes to Korra. ****. And all is well.

Thoughts:

This was pretty good, but also incredibly rushed. In 12 episodes we see a radicalist group terrorize, conquest a city and declare war, a love square, a tournament and a destructive hero angle. Plus the backstories of Tarrlok and Amon. It's decent and probably comparable to Avatar's own first season as it started to get on it's feet. Except on fast forward.

Grade: C-

[youtube]EwGe1ziyuOw[/youtube]​

Book 2: Spirits

Before we start, the animation is now done by Studio Pierrot. Creators of Naruto, Yu Yu Hakushi, Bleach, etc. Sooooo...... It's gonna look very pretty now.
6 months after season 1 Mako is a cop under Lin Beifong, Bolin is still in Pro-Bending, Asami is struggling to remake her fathers company and Korra is still the Avatar. All hell begins to break loose when Unalaq, Korra's uncle, declares war on the southern water tribe. Korra becomes troubled by the family strife as her dad happens to lead the south. But she ends up siding with Unalaq due to differences in opinion. And Korra's general ignorance. Evil spirits also begin to pop up as Unalaq is capable of calming them. An industrialist named Varrick creates propaganda movies with Bolin as the star to paint the South as the heroes as well as profit from the war.

As all that goes on, Tenzin with older siblings Kya and Bumi head to the Southern Air Temple for a vacation with the air kids. Jinora develops odd spirit related powers while Tenzin, Kya and Bumi recall their rather troubling childhood.

Returning to story #1, Korra is swallowed by a fish and has a flashback to the days of the first Avatar. Wan. We see his story unfold as he's banished from his city atop a Lion Turtle and forced to live among spirits where he meets Rava, Spirit of good. And Vaatu. Spirit of evil. He accidently separates them forcing Rava to join up with him to spot Vaatu from spreading evil. He picks up different bending skills along the way before the big fight with Vaatu where Rava fuses with Wan to create the first ever Avatar. Sadly, Wan doesn't create the balance he wants and dies. So Rava passes to the second Avatar and thus the cycle begins.

Back to Korra, actually no. Back to Mako, Republic City seems to be caught in the middle of the civil war. He learns that Varrick has taken Asami's company, looks to profit from the war and will attack the Republic president to frame the Southern Water Tribe. He gets thrown in jail but Bolin is the one to save the day. Korra tries to enlist Tenzin's help to enter the spirit world. But he's not successful. Jinora on the other hand succeeds. In there, they get lost and Korra meets up with none other than Iroh for some good old advise while Jinora stumbles into Wan Shi Tong (He who knows 10,000 things) for more Last Airbender call backs. We even see the dead body of the guy got stuck there way back. That's not PG. Jinora learns of Harmonic Convergence. When the planets align and cause the spirit portals to open. It's also when Rava and Vaatu fought and must fight again. We learn Vaatu has been influencing Unalaq this entire time.

Eventually, the planets align causing Vaatu to break free and fuse with Unalaq to create a Dark Avatar and a battle ensues. While Bolin and Mako battle Desna and Eska. Unalaq's creepy in-sync twins. Eventually, Unalaq is successful in destroying Rava leaving Korra powerless as he turns into a giant spirit monster. Tenzin, Kya and Bumi head to the spirit world to find Jinora but first find Iroh and....... Holy CRAP Admiral Zhao! Eventually, Korra uses Vaatu's prison, the Tree Of Time (based on the real life oldest tree in existence) to get in the fight. With Jinora's help, Rava revives since there must always be balance between light and dark and they end the Dark Avatar. Imprisoning Vaatu once again, killing Unalaq and leaving the portals to the spirit world open.

Thoughts:

Once again, too much in one go as we have about 6 different stories going at once. This was visually appeasing and the two-parter detailing Avatar Wan is a damn good stand alone story. But it's just too much in too little time once again. Watch this for Varrick though as he's hilarious, a pretty interesting villain and hides in a "Platypus-Bear" suit with his assistant Zhu Li and "poops out" money. He's a damn good character.

[youtube]z7w323Nq1zc[/youtube]

Book 3: Change

It's 2 weeks after Harmonic Convergence and a huge spirit tree is in the middle of Republic City. This creates issues between the residents, the president and Korra. Who insists everyone has to get used to it now. As that goes on though, Bumi.... AIRBENDS! Not only he, but they're popping up all over the place. The heroes decide to ditch the city and head off the find these new Airbenders for training. But as that happens, a criminal named Zaheer also acquires Airbending and escapes his prison. He then rescues others who happen to be members of his guild. The "Red Lotus". Earth and Lava Bender, Ghazaan. Combustion and Firebender P'Li and armless Psychic Waterbender, Ming Hua. None other than Zuko, along with Korra's father and cousins try to intercept the faction but fail.

Korra and friends pick up a street rat named Kai and head to Ba Sing Se to meet the the Earth Kingdom Queen for info on Airbenders. But she's a bitch and manipulates Korra into collecting excessive taxes. Kai goes on a robbing spree and gets Bolin and Mako sent to the outer rim of the city where they end up meeting their family from their dad's side. What were the odds? We learn the Earth Queen is actually harboring the Airbenders and kidnap Kai for an army but Korra and co. intercept and rescue them. Korra and Tenzin split up. Korra heads to a city called Zaofu and Tenzin takes the Airbenders to the Northern Air Temple for training. Zaofu, we learn is a city founded by Toph's other daughter. Lin's half-sister, Suyin Beifong. We meet her kids among them Bataar Jr. (voiced by Todd Haberkorn of Fairy Tail and Soul Eater fame). And the new Airbender, Opal. She and Bolin hit it off but Lin Su have issues. Varrick pops up, reformed and creating railroad tracks, magnet suits and an Airbender finder. You have to airbend into it for it to work.

Su and Lin settle their issues and Opal heads to the air temple for training but the Red Lotus sneak in thanks to a spy to try and kidnap Korra. After saving her, Korra decides to confront him and we learn that he's pretty much an anarchist looking to eliminate any authority figure under the pretext that it's "true order" and letting go of worldly desires. Even quoting an airbender monk who could allegedly fly. The Earth Queen is the one to capture Korra though as Tenzin has issues with teaching the Airbenders. We get a side story of Kai and Jinora stopping poachers.

Back to the main stuff, the Red Lotus confront the Earth Queen to get Korra but she gets away before even being brought back. So Zaheer uses his Airbending to pull the air out of the queens lungs and kill her. That's not PG. That sends Ba Sing Se into chaos and Zaheer tells Mako and Bolin that he intends to kills the Airbenders next as they meet up with Korra and co. Climax time as the group heads off to intercept Zaheer. Korra tries to turn herself over to Zaheer for the freedom of the Airbenders but it's a trap leaving Mako, Asami, Tenzin and Bolin for dead until Bolin learns to Lava Bend. Makes sense. He's the son of an Earthbender and Firebender.

Su and Lin fight off P'Li. Su shoots her breastplate at P'Li's face leading to her blowing up her head...... That's not- You get the point already. Korra and her dad fight Zaheer, but he tosses Korra's dad off a cliff and with his attachment to P'Li gone..... Fucking flies off with Korra. Her dad is saved by commander Kuvira (voiced by Zelda Williams. Daughter of Robin Williams) and everyone regroups to go save Korra. The Red Lotus inject Korra with Mercury to poison her and force her into the Avatar State. Killing her as such would end the Avatar cycle. But she fights it off and gets away. Zaheer flies off after her and the battle is on. But the poison catches up to her. Mako and Bolin fight the other two Red Lotus elites and kill them as the airbenders come together to take down Zaheer. Who throws a fit. I didn't know it up to this point, but if you've seen Batman Beyond it's Mad Stan's voice actor. Su pulls the poison out of Korra to save her. But she's still very affected. Physically and mentally. Jinora is dubbed an airbending master and gets her own arrow tattoo's to close this one out.

Thoughts: A far more well paced story. With less plot threads going at once. Zaheer is probably the best villain in the overall series and it's a very direct story as opposed to the messes that were the first two seasons.

Grade: A

[youtube]6PKAu7Kt8i8[/youtube]

Book 4: Balance

3 years after the previous season, Korra struggles recovering from the fight with Zaheer. She can walk again, but is haunted by illusions of herself. She's been in cage fights trying to get to her senses, but can't fight like she used to. As that goes on though, Kuvira has been uniting the tray Earth Kingdom after the queen was killed. She has Bolin, Varrick and Zhu Li at her side but the Airbenders don't approve of her as she basically extorts towns onto her services and sends nay-sayers to concentration camps.

Back to Korra she ends up meeting with none other than Toph at the swamps from the first show. Toph tells Korra she's actually still got some mercury in her but can't take it out as Korra has nightmares about Zaheer. Very rapey. In Republic City, Mako guards the crown prince of the Earth Kingdom. A prissy kid named Wu. But Kuvira announces her intentions to take over with her army and heads to the Earth Kingdom against the orders of the council. Ikki, Meelo and Jinora are sent to find Korra and eventually do as Korra is finally able eject to poison from her body. She heads to confront Kuvira but her visions still persist and she's almost killed by the dictator and now Zaofu falls under the army's control. Varrick is working on spirit vines with Zhu Li and they accidentally shoot a massive blast of energy. Zhu Li and Varrick share a moment, but Kuvira's fiancee and Su's son, Bataar Jr. (SYMMETRY!!) see's the potential in creating a weapon out of it. Varrick doesn't approve. "I've got this odd feeling about this. Zhu Li what is this?" Zhu Li: "A conscience, sir." They and Bolin try to ditch Kuvira's army, but get caught. Sadly Zhu Li has enough of Varrick's Tony Starkness and joins the army and orders the guards to take Bolin and Varrick to prison. But are instead forced to work on the spirit weapon. Varrick arms the weapon as a bomb and manages to escape with Bolin but Bataar Jr. (I'm all fired up!) knows how to recreate it.

Korra returns to Republic City to meet with Mako and Asami but Wu gets kindnapped under Kuvira's orders while Varrick and Bolin learn of concentration camps to keep anyone not from the Earth Kingdom in. We then get an clips show due to budged cuts. Including an homage to Abridged-type works and the freaking DBZ Budweiser clip from 2001. "Yo, whasap?" Seriously, look up episode 8 just for that. It's glorious.

Back to the main story, people are being captured by angry spirits in Republic City including Jinora. So Korra heads to save them but apparitions of Zaheer stop her. So she decides to confront him in person. Eventually getting over her fear. Opal, Lin and Bolin set off to save Su and their family from Kuvira and are joined by Toph as we see Bataar Jr. (Do you know something about immortality?) has finished his weapon. Zhu Li reveals she's been sabotaging it though and is used for target practice. The Beifongs all come together to save the day and leave with Zhu Li to warn Republic City as Kuvira wants to reclaim the territory.

Everyone preps for war and estimate the army to arrive in a week..... But the cannon is actually on a giant mech so it's already here. Fuck. It shoots and kills the navy (JESUS CHRIST!) forcing the president to surrender to avoid further damage. Bataar Jr. (I'm out of jokes) heads to capture him but team Avatar captures him instead to use as leverage. That goes nowhere because Kuvira is nuts and shoots them all. They manage to survive and proceed to mount a counterstrike everyone fails as this looks like Attack On Titan right down to scaling buildings, the flair bits going up screen and even the setting. Eventually Lin recruits Asami's dad, former Equalist Hiroshi for help. Who suggests getting in the mech. He tries to reconcile with his daughter while Varrick contemplates how he's been to Zhu Li, sets off an EMP and then proposes to her. They take off in two ships to cut into the mech, but Hiroshi ends up dead in the attempt. Squashed like a bug actually. Just like Attack On Titan.

In the mech, everyone fights to stop the machine. Lin and Su manage to disconnect the weapon but end up tossed away for their efforts while Bolin and Mako try to shut the core down. Korra fights Kuvira one on one in the cockpit but Mako eventually blows the core up and the machine finally crumbles. Korra searches for Kuvira, but she has the spirit cannon and shoots. It goes out of control though and blows, creating a new spirit portal. Kuvira surrenders in the spirit world unable to bend as Korra see's they are very similar due to their fears. The conflict finally ends.

We cut to Varrick and Zhu Li's wedding as Korra and Asami contemplate what's next. They decide to go to the spirit world and we see the two look at each other, held by hand just like Zhu Li and Varrick, just like Aang and Katara with the same music. They're....... a couple? Indeed. Well that came out of nowhere.

Thoughts:

Another great story told by just focusing on one story at a time. Shame it ends when they finally got the formula down. This season is jammed packed with serious drama as it's more about what could happen rather than what's going on. It's a rather odd ending though as there was never any overt hinting at any attraction between the two girls. But it is what it is.

[youtube]cHXHdZxJjfk[/youtube]

Overall:

This show is hindered by all sorts of issues. For one, it's still Nickelodeon. And the writers tried to put on a show that would be more at home on Toonami. Constant on-screen deaths, strong romances, LGBT, themes of war and terrorism, certainly not... Well, PG. As such, the show suffered from timeslot shifts, being taken out of TV, budget cuts and more. But overall, it's a good sequel to Avatar. It tells it's own stories (4 major one's instead of 1) and greatly expands the Avatar mythos making me drool for more. Seriously, I could not find an AMV that shows all 4 seasons at once. They all focus on one in particular.

Overall grade: B

legend-korra.png

Yup. The heroes met Excalibur. Fools!

legend_of_korra___spirits_by_kentaropjj-d6s5yin.jpg

Asami, Korra, Mako and Bolin get set to kick ass.

Next time:

Cartelera-navidad-corporativa-wwl.jpeg

Don't worry, Jam. FMA is coming right after. But I wanna preview this event before their next show on Jan 6.

WWL: Navidad Corporativa (Corporate Christmas)
"If You Build It, They Will Come"
10351076_988730154474360_767294889411239748_n.jpg

Date: December 13, 2014
Attendance: 3000-ish
Commentators: Willie Urbina, Axel Cruz

Some backstory. WWL is a company that started in 2013 based on Puerto Rico. It started as an NWA type deal where they loaned talent from other promotions. Sound familiar? But that meant talent could come and go with no one to really build around and talents weren't in the mood to let people from other companies go over. As such, they went dark for nearly a year. Fast forward to this summer and they've secured some syndication deals and upload their shows to YouTube. They've also gathered a roster of wrestlers in Puerto Rico out of work due to politics. Their event as a full roster and promotion in October sold out at over 3000 fans and this is the follow up 3 months later. The reason I'm reviewing this is because on January 6th, they'll a show entitled "Guerra De Reyes" which will be available on iPPV. I support them and as such here's this. Uploaded to YouTube as a Christmas present by WWL.

To give you a perspective of what these guys are working with, the show is filmed with camcorders. To give you perspective of the impact they have made, their competitors WWC celebrated their 41st anniversary show in a 10,000 seat building the previous week close by. 1,500-ish attended.

Axel and Willie Urbina welcome us from the studio and we see bits of the meet and greet before the show. We cut to Mr. 450 in the ring to talk about how great he is and how he debuted 10 years before. He's basically Vegeta saying he's best period because of his lineage, being "the last of his species" and being in Japan and stuff. He insults the fans but is cut off by "The Sensational" Carlitos and a doctor. He informs Mr. 450 that he's fit to compete and they'll fight tonight in the main event. Carlitos leaves and Mr. 450 trashes the release papers.

Guerra De Reyes bumper.

Match #1:
Eric Scorpion vs Prince Xander with Walkiria

This is Xander's 1 on 1 debut in the pro level. And it shows. Eric Scorpion is a lower card guy who looks like Vampiro. Xander shows he's VERY green. But the man very clearly tries out there as he's nailing the heel mannerisms even though he's kinda sloppy in the ring. The commentators run the card for both this show and Guerra De Reyes, but in an innovative concept, shut up to call the spots in the match. The boys use up the lighting canopy a lot. It's similar to the X Division structure. Eric at one point does an Asai Moonsault and lands perfectly seated on a chair. Another spot see's Eric try a Suicide Dive but Xander catches him on impact and hits a Belly To Belly. The win comes when Scorpion hits the Sliced Bread for the 3 count.

Grade: D-

Match #2
WWL Americas Championship: Laredo Kid c (with Jose Chaparro & Caifas) vs BJ; Joe Bravo is Guest Referee

Before the match, BJ greets his friend Pablito. A midget. Then WWL prez Richard Negrin comes in and tells BJ he hates him. BJ is with La Rabia. A babyface gang stable. They're banned from ringside. Before the bell, Joe Bravo starts posing with the belt as he was screwed in a 3 Way with the other two last show. This match is mostly an angle. Joe Bravo refuses to do anything for anyone and is eventually ejected by the other referees when he gets on the phone mid-match.

The commentators on Pablito:

Axel: "Do you know what Pablito asked Santa for Christmas? Six inches."

Willie: "You jerk, I saw him fall off a bike the other day and he looked like he fell off the 6th floor of a building".

Laredo Kid obsessively uses the lighting canopy several times too and dives off the top of the thing twice. Tone it down, boy. BJ is constantly having to compete with the dicking Joe Bravo, Jose Chaparro breaking up counts and interference from Caifas. Then end comes when a member of La Rabia pops up and breaks a plastic chair on BJ's head letting Laredo Kid hit a Double Jump Frog Splash for the win. The Rabia member reveals himself as Joe Bravo shattering clothes changing records in the process. It's not cut, so it's probably true.

Guerra De Reyes bumper

La Rabia minus BJ cut a fancam promo

Match #3
WWL Trios Championship: The Rodriguez Brothers (Victor/Manuel) & Caifas vs La Rabia (Stefano/Noel Rodriguez/Dennis Rivera)

Match to crown the first champs. The heels are under the employment of Richard Negrin and Savio Vega. Dennis is Savio Vega's brother and Noel is the oldest of the Rodriguez brothers. Son's of wrestler Victor The Bodyguard. Lots of family issues here. The faces come out to Korn's cover of "Another Brick In The Wall".

This is a fast one as members of each team keep coming in and out constantly and constant double and triple teaming. It's what's made these match types popular in Mexico and they show it here. Caifas wasn't supposed to be in this match as Monster Pain was the original 3rd man but had prior commitments. Caifas isn't well trained. We also see someone looking up files on the trons. Well that's a big fucking no-no. The ending comes when Caifas tries a stereo Chokeslam on Dennis and Noel but they counter into a Double Jawbreaker letting Stefano hit a Guillotine Legdrop for the pin and the title.

We hear about La Rabia's next challengers. Dos Caras, Dos Caras Jr. and Sicodelico Jr. Alberto Del Rio's dad, brother and cousin respectively. Damn. La Rabia go out through the crowd and take pictures with the fans and specifically and handicapped person. Very classy.

Promo from Espectro. You can't make it out at all from bad sound effects.

Match #4:

Legio (Espectro/Kronya)
vs Syler Andrews/Senor C

Legio are basically dressed as Slipknot. Standard satanics that seem to be all over Latin America. Syler Andrews is a former WWC Jr. Heavyweight Champion and Senor C is a jobber. Speaking of jobbing, this is a squash. An extended one to show off Legio. The end comes when Kronya Chokeslams Senor C, making him land on his neck (ouch). Top Rope Elbow/Backbreaker combo gets the win for the Slipknot guys.

Grade: D

They keep attacking after the win.

Guerra De Reyes bumper

Match #5

WWL World Tag Team Champioship: Thunder & Lightning c (with El Profe) vs James Storm & Abyss

Interpromotional match. Storm and Abyss get something TNA can't afford: pyro. That's embarrassing. The champs come out to Metallica's "For Whom The Bell Tolls" and are basically the LOD of Puerto Rico. They've been teaming for 15 years and held a fuckton of local titles. Lighting is also a mute.

Axel: "I spent almost 2 hours catching up with Lighting"

Urbina: "What? What the hell did he say?!"

Axel: "Ugh! And...... Ugh!"

These guys are dicks.

The match starts with Abyss sticking Janice in Lightnings head. DAMN! Storm then ties Lightnings neck with the noose. Overkill to start? Not a minute in and both masked guys are bleeding like crazy. Thunder is left alone for a very large part of the match as Lightning is stretchered out. Storm and Abyss keep abusing Thunder but NEVER go for a cover. That gets important later though as after nearly 10 minutes, Lighting pops out to mount a comeback for the team. Things seem to be favoring the champs..... The WWL ones but the lights go out. The end comes when Legio appears and attacks Thunder and Lighting leading to a DQ. But using Janice and the noose didn't, huh?

Grade: B-
I should note this is a polarizing match. If you aren't into the old bloodbath beatdown type matches, this isn't for you.

Jose Chaparro appears revealing himself as Legio's manager and it's later revealed he paid off Storm and Abyss to injure the champs. Leaving them with 3 weeks to recover before their title match. You don't get stories that simple and good in WWE.

Savio Vega comes out to his theme. Rammstein's "Engel" and shoots off a few catchphrases. He's been having differences with the president Richard Negrin who interrupts him to talk about Bobby Roode who couldn't make the show due to weather issues. Negrin demands to know how Savio plans to fix the lack of a title match but Savio re-assures he has it covered. World Champ, Shane The Glamour Boy comes out dressed like Savio Vega when he was in Los Boricuas in WWE to find out who's the replacement and scares off Savio. Savio says the guy he got "will not be easy" which is the catchphrase of his challenger. Gilbert. The week before the show, he lost the WWC Puertorican Championship to wrestler Chicano (boxer Miguel Cotto's cousin) and now jumped to WWL. So that's a big jump. They all leave as the match was for later, but Gilbert attacks Shane with a chair to jump the match. Richard Negrin gets caught in the crossfire and he's not pleased.

Match #6
WWL World Championship: Gilbert vs Shane The Glamour Boy
c

Gilbert is a big time jump and Shane is Shane Sewell, the ref Booker T fought in 2008 and a trainer to several TNA guys. He's also been feuding with Savio Vega for years in other companies. I kid you not, the referee's ring name is "Pikachu". Yes, the Pokemon as Gilbert basically takes full advantage of the injured Shane. Shane doesn't mount much of a comeback and when he does, the ref gets knocked out. That allows Gilbert to whack Shane with the title belt for the 3 count.

Grade: -Oh, way. It's a Dusty finish as Savio comes out to celebrate but the pissed off Richard Negrin comes out calling BS and restarts the match. Shane finally mounts the comeback with chairshots.... Oh. Title matches don't end in DQ's unless the ref decides it. That's dumb, but typical in the region. A lowblow and the Elbow From The Heavens (Top Rope Elbow with theatrics) retains the title.

Grade: N/A. It's an angle for this:

Savio and Gilbert attack Shane and Savio announces the next challenger to the title: The AAA World Champion, Albert El Patron. Shane's face reads "oh crap" as Alberto cuts a pre-recorded promo. Where's the money coming from? But that's not the end of this as Richard Negrin comes out to announce he also got a challenger for Shane making the main event of Guerra De Reyes a 3 Way. Shane goes from dead to rising a la Undertaker when "El Mesias" Ricky Banderas is announced as challenger #2. Shane's practically shitting his pants. Those two have feuded for years so it makes sense. "WHY!" screams the champ. Some babyface.

Match #7:
Apolo (with Habana) vsMr. Big (with The Rodriguez Brothers)

Apolo was a TNA Tag Team Champion with D'Lo Brown and Homicide's original partner in LAX. He's with his wife. Mr. Big is calling himself "Bully Guy". You're not fooling anyone, bro. He was also the founder of "La Rabia" when they were a legit wrestling gang (long story). Apolo has a build that would make Batista blush.

This is your typical out of control PR brawl as everyone constantly try to run interference. The Bros. get ejected early though. Apolo BASHES chairs on Mr. Big's back as the man is wrestling STIFF AS FUCK. It's short and insane brawl that ends when Apolo hits a Superkick for a 3 count but Mr. Big had his shoulder up which the ref (Pikachu) ignored.

Pity this was so short. It was brutal.

Grade: C

Big quickly bashes a chair on Apolo's back but wrestling valet, Glenda Lee appears and the two double team Apolo's wife. Apolo gets back up and the brawl is on again until the baddies retreat. Habana is taken out on a stretcher and Apolo storms to the back after beating the crap out of security. He gets Mr. Big at Guerra De Reyes in a Last Man Standing match.

Guerra De Reyes bumper

Main Event:
Mr. 450 vs "El Sensational" Carlitos

Mr. 450 comes out to Vegeta's transformation theme and has a taped shoulder due an injury in a match with Bull Dempsey on NXT. In a very nice touch, Carlitos has a mouth guard due to breaking his teeth in their last match while 450 has one to mock him. This is your classic WCW-style cruiserweight match with a touch of early ROH as the two hit all sorts of big spots looking to outdo their star making match last show.They go back and forth constantly and don't slow down at all in the 20 minute match. Damn good stuff but not quite mind-blowing. Best in show though. What a concept. 2 guys steal the show are instantly turned into the focus of things in a company. Huh, WWE?

Several spots take things way over the top though as 450 hit's his finisher. 2 straight 450 splashes and it doesn't get the 3. Carlitos hits a Canadian Destroyer and also doesn't get the win. An unknown steps in and attacks both guys before revealing himself as wrestler Hiram Tua. He won tag team titles with both guys but that didn't change much. The win comes when 450 tries a top rope Brainbuster but gets countered into a Spanish Fly for the 3.

After the match Carlitos praises Mr. 450 for bringing out the best in his even though he injured him and tried to end his career. He asks for a hand-shake and gets it. But what would an evil Saiyan be if he wasn't..... Evil? He turns on Carlitos until Invader #3, 450's godfather and trainer appears to scold the boy. 450 doesn't give a damn though and attacks him to forcing the downed Carlitos to shield Invader. That sets up the fan voted 3rd match. A TLC match with a shot at the Americas title on the line.

Overall Thoughts:

This show is built on scraps pretty much as there's no TV tapings (they're coming in February though as it was just announced) to build things. Camcorders, improv trons, low production and presentation, shaky hard cameras, but the crowd (and me) ate it all up. The matches were OK with the main event being the only must see thing, but the angles make me want to see the iPPV so that's a win. If you want to expand your options on wrestling, here's one right here. Available on YouTube legally. Also Apolo is damn brutal. How he never made it in TNA is beyond me, but he makes Batista look like a chump.

Overall Rating: B-

Next Time:

83813aac0b4723376e1fdb5715c9b76b.jpg

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
"The Modern Classic"

Fullmetal-Alchemist.jpg

After over a week off doing these due to such a huge pile work, here it is. I consider this my most preferred anime and overall animation work. A true masterpiece of detailed storytelling and character tales that's deeply engaging, funny, dramatic and just plain awesome. It features an amazing action/sci-fi story dealing with identity, ideals, war, family, religion, racism and so much more. This thing is so packed.

It is actually the second interpretation of the Square Enix produced manga. The original 2003 incarnation started way too early in the manga's run and as is the case with many, they had to segway away from the intended story, resulting in a totally different product. This 2009 incarnation on the other hand told the tale far closer to the source material and improved on it's flaws. Plus a high budget and award winning voice casts in both Japanese and English, it's no shock its one of the most popular anime franchises ever. Winning many a top spots in popularity polls.

Plot:

I'll keep it light because of the amount of spoilers I could let loose by accident.

The tale is mainly about Edward and Alphonse Elric. Who at a young age lost their mother to illness. As two young kids, this of course devastated them. So they devoted their youth to study the art of "Alchemy". Using tectonic force mixed with inner body energy to deconstruct and reconstruct matter. Such as changing coal into gold or re-shaping cloths into nifty dusters.

This powerful art is the main force of the story as the locals have weaponized it for war and profiteering. The brothers however used it to attempt to revive their mother. A taboo to alchemists that results in Ed losing his leg and Al his entire body. Fearing the loss of his last relative, Ed gives up his leg to bind Al's soul into an armor. Our story picks up years later as Ed is fitted with metallic prosthetic know as "automail" by his neighbors and adoptive family. Winry Rockbell and her grandmother, Pinako. Ed has become a State Alchemist. A military soldier with a rank equal to a major and uses his benefits to seek a way to get his brother's full body back. Mainly the Philosopher's Stone. An object that is said to bypass the laws of "Equivalent Exchange" that bind Alchemy from becoming an all-powerful art.

As our heroes dwell into the mystery of this stone however, issues of treason begin to rise within the military. At the same time, a mass-murderer nicknamed Scar is killing State Alchemists as revenge for a war his people had with said military that wiped them out due to religious beliefs. Even more to it, creatures known as "Homunculus" enter the picture as well. Artificial humans that possess the Philosopher Stone as hearts. The brothers end up caught in this web of issues while also trying to find a way to fix their mistake of "playing gods". As the story progresses they encounter many roadblocks. Both to their goals and to their ideals.

As all these problems to pop up, we also see the story of Lt. Colonel Roy Mustang. An ambitious officer aiming to become Fuhrer. The top rank of the military and by proxy, the entire government, in order to establish his own ideals of peace after taking part in the massacre of Ishval. The civilization the mass-murderer originates from. He and his group of allies become entangled in the inner workings of the military government they serve and must assist the Elrics in unraveling it's mysteries. Even if it means death. They are put through incredible tests that not even war could prepare them for.

Among Roy's most trusted allies are his best friend, Lt. Col. Maes Hughes. Who is a dotting father and loving husband. He does everything within his power to assist anyone in need. Whether it's the Elric brothers, Roy or even a jobless girl. Roy also counts on the support of Lt. Riza Hawkeye. A beautiful but deadly sniper that stands by Roy's side no matter what.

Another major story is the tale of Xing. A land modelled after China where overpopulation means people can very easily perish. As such royal families, a grand total of 40+, must search for ways to preserve their status and eventually take the throne. 2 royals make their way to the mess taking place in Amestris, the setting of the series. They're Ling Yao, a master martial artist accompanied by 2 assassins that team up with Edward and Al to see into the mysteries of the Philosopher's Stone and the Humunculi to achieve Immortality. Then theirs May Chang. A young girl who practices an art known as "Alkahestry". Similar to alchemy, except it's not weaponized and relies entirely on a person's inner life force.

These stories and more intertwine in the face of a massive conspiracy beginning at the very founding of Amestris. The main setting of the series, based on Germany. Edward and Alphonse's father, a man named Hoenheim. Seems connected to all this as well. He disappeared on the family before their mother fell ill and returns now as all these events begin to take place. How do they all connect? Go watch it.

Characters:

They are the meat of this show which each of them having their very own distinctive tale and resolution. This one will have spoilers so read at your own risk if you haven't watched yet.
url

The brash and impulsive Edward Elric and the calm and idealistic Alphonse Elric are the main characters of the series. Ed stand over Al in importance, but don't be fooled, they're both pivotal characters.

Edward Elric:

Ed's the main point of the series as he desperately looks for the Philosopher's Stone to fix Al. That becomes an issue when he learns the nature of the stone. It's made out of the souls of hundreds of people. Ed being against taking life no matter what decides to find another way to recover Al's body. His biggest turning point thought are the deaths of Nina, a girl who was mutated by her own father to preserve his State Alchemist license and later killed by Scar out of mercy and the death of Maes Hughes. Who discovers the Homunculus conspiracy before being killed. Ed into despair realizing these deaths seem to be his fault.

At the end of the day though, what makes him stand out is the climax. The years long journey of recovering Al's body had him believing anything could be fixed with Alchemy. Until he realizes it's what tempted him to create his problems in the first place. Reviving his mother. As such, he gives up the ability to perform Alchemy in exchange for his brother's body to finally reach his resolution and teach us that power corrupts and we're not gods.
Ed's a tremendous lead character as his naivete is contrasted by his extremely strong resolve and ideals. He doesn't come off as ignorant as he learns a lot over time but you can see his flaws little by little being covered up with the climax giving us the moral of the entire story in spectacular fashion. He's got tremendous chemistry with everyone but his best is probably with Roy and Winry. He and Roy balance each other as the two point out each others flaws making themselves aware. While his relationship with Winry is pretty damn heartwarming. It's not your typical love story as he acts more as a caring older brother to her at first before he starts to learn that he doesn't have to do everything by himself. And of course, then there's the running gag about him being short. Which stops being a joke when they realize it's pretty damn serious.

Simply put, he's a worthy lead. And grows tremendously through the story.

Alphonse Elric:

Al spends a lot of time with Ed through the story. But the moments he branches by himself, he deals with identity issues. A murderer plants in head the idea that he may be fabricated and that starts a chain of personality issues as well as coping with the fact that he has no physical body and cannot feel anything. The world passes him by and he can't feel it at all.

A major moment features him shielding Riza Hawkeye from Humunculus Lust after Riza falls into despair thinking Roy is dead. She wanted to die, but Al was not willing to lose more people and put his life on the line. It's a recurring theme for him to put himself in situations of life and death and in the end, when Edward is about to be killed, Al sacrifices his soul to bring back Ed's lost arm. His trust for Ed runs so deep he did it knowing Ed would figure out how to bring him back intact.

Al actually has very little developement to him. He's downright flawless as a person from the get-go. But at the same time, he offers the most support to the other characters. He's played as a perfect child suddenly struck by tragedy and his story revolves on how he coupes with it and how he tries to keep his sanity. He's more of a crutch for Ed, but that's one very fun crutch to watch.

402674-bigthumbnail.jpg

Roy and his team play the secondary story of the show as they must deal with the consequences of the Ishval Massacre and work towards a future free of wars and discrimination.

Lt. Colonel Roy Mustang:

Roy discovered the Elrics after learning of their attempt to revive their mother. He talked Ed into becoming a State Alchemist and has watched over the two since. He's a prodigy known as the "Flame Alchemist" for his ability to create massive fires with the snap of his finger. He's incredibly ambitious and is vocal about becoming Fuhrer. That bites him when we learn the identity of the current Fuhrer. The Humunculus Wrath. He splits up Roy's team and takes Riza as a servant. This forces Roy to use all his resources in a very literal game of human chess with the Humunculi. He must also solve the mystery of his best friend's murder and when he figures it out..... OHHHH BOOOOY.

He is extremely charismatic and serves as the Obi Wan to Ed and Al's Anakin. If Anakin was a great character that was. He's played as the typical hero. But it's his quirks that make him great. He's the gruff leader that keeps everyone in check. Mostly. His scene against Lust is the most amazing visually as well as stylistically. To me it was the high point of the show as well as a big foreshadowing for things to come with him. That being his confrontation with Envy. Roasting the murderer of his best friend over and over as he slowly goes from incredible hero to vengeful monster. The dynamic of all that plays perfectly with....

Lt. Riza Hawkeye:

Roy's seeming love interest. Her father taught Roy the flame alchemy he uses and embedded its secrets into her back as a tattoo. After seeing the damage the alchemy can create, Riza asked Roy to burn her back to destroy the research so no one else could ever use it. Since then Riza devoted her life to help Roy reach his goal of Fuhrer. She is an extremely serious character, hardened after her time in Ishval as a sniper. But she goes above and beyond for her loved ones. She has a soft spot for the Elrics and Winry and grants them advice constantly.

She assists Roy and the Elrics against the Humunculi specifically discovering the identity of Pride. Their strongest. She remains strong and eventually assists Roy when they encounter Envy. As Roy goes on his wrath of vengeance, Riza forces Roy to calm down and see the error of his actions before he spirals into an uncontrollable monster unfit to some day be Fuhrer.

Her chemistry with Roy is damn good. She's an amazing woman and one of the most powerful depicted in anime from a personality perspective. Her speech to Ed about Ishval and protecting your loved one's is her best in my eyes along with her scene's with Roy when fighting Lust and Envy. It kinda burns that the series leaves their status unresolved actually.

Lt. Col. Maes Hughes:

Short lived, but with massive impact. He is Roy's best friend and a major help to the Elrics. Housing them and helping them in their research of the Philosopher's Stone and the Humunculi. He's killed when he discovers their secrets in one very terrifying scene as Envy impersonates his wife and kills him as he grasps a picture of her and their daughter. The Elrics and Winry learn of his death later to even more horror.

This man has a such an emotional impact. Constantly taking about his amazing wife and loving child. Then we meet his family who turn out to be just as great as he says. Then..... He's killed in cold blood. We're then forced to see his family coup with the loss. He and Nina (I'll leave that one a mystery. It's even more gruesome) provide BIG heartbreak in this story.

Major Alex Louis Armstrong:

The description of this character has been passed down the Armstrong family for GENERATIONS! Couldn't resist. Major Armstrong is a ridiculously muscular man prone to stripping that revels in "manliness". In the war on Ishval though, he broke down when he ended up killing innocent people. Including children. This brought ire to his older and much tougher sister, Olivier and he's sought to redeem himself since. That culminates when he and his rather hateful sister have to do battle with the Homunculus Sloth. A juggernaut that tears through them. They're forced to put their issues away to take down the beast. Alex earns his sister's respect through the fight to redeem himself.

He is hammy as fuck. And the show loves to make jokes about it. But when his sister enters the picture things become more amusing with him. It's really hard to believe how comical he's presented given his backstory. Nonetheless chalk up another fun supporting character for this show. With a very iconic phrase.

500px-WinryRockbellEp20.png

Winry Rockbell:

The neighbor of the Elrics and Ed's automail mechanic (the prosthetic in the series). She's mostly a side character who basically plays the fan-surrogate. Feeling sorry for what happens to the boys and trying to give them emotional support. But she also has a major tragedy of her own. Her parents were medics during the Ishval war and were killed when an Ishvalan they were healing suddenly killed them in a rage with alchemy. That Ishvalan later turns out to be Scar. The murderer who's been killing state alchemists "in the name of God". When he sets his sights on Ed, he and Winry meet. She learns in horror of what the man did and grasps a gun in tears wondering why he would kill people who tried to help him. She thankfully doesn't pull the trigger and later confronts Scar again willing to bury the hatchet but not forgive him.

She also has a lot of interaction with Ed. Constantly trying to remind him that he doesn't have to do things alone. She little by little develops a crush on him after seeing him go so far to save her and support her. In the end they marry and have kids. YAY!

She's a pretty good support character. She not only helps Ed but she's so instrumental to Scar as well. Not to mention her relationship with Ed feels more natural than in most stories since it takes it's time to develop. And how can you not cheer her on when she decides to help Scar despite what he did? She's truly amazing. She's by far the bravest character in the series

scar11_2544.png

Scar:

Introduced as a murderer, we learn of the Ishval massacre through him. His people were killed simply because they believed Alchemy was inhumane. His brother began to research the art and discovered key points of the overall conspiracy regarding the massacre. But he was killed, not before implementing destructive alchemy to Scar's arm. Scar then seeks to punish the state alchemists as "the wrath of God", but has to rethink his ideals when he's caught in the conspiracy revolving the military, the Elrics and of course, Winry. In the end, he battles the source of his race's murder. The Fuhrer himself. Accepting his own mistakes and the influence of others, he's finally able to find peace. He also defeats the Fuhrer when divine intervention of all things, gives him the chance. His real name is never given.

The posterboy for why the middle east should drop their shit. Scar goes from self-righteous prick to grumpy hero as he learns accept other people from different cultures and coupe with the consequences of his actions when murderous attitude puts him in front of the perfectly innocent Winry. Who's parent's he killed out of confusion and racism. Just like how his people died. Like I said, he's basically an example of why pretending to be "God's wrath" is a bad idea.

van11_7665.png

Van Hoenheim:

Father of the Elric brothers (they go by their mother's last name). We learn that he's actually hundreds of years old. And the source of the series main antagonist's existence. Many centuries ago, in the city of Xerxes, Van was a servant used for an expertiment that created an artificial being. This artificial being along with his master taught Van about alchemy. The being also told the king of Xerxes about the secret to immortality and tricked him into performing a ritual which ended up granting him and Van Philosopher Stones. It also left Xerxes devoid of life. The creature took the appearance of Van and named himself Father while Van was left to walk the world.

He passed his teaching of alchemy until many centuries later meeting Trisha Elric and having children with her but learned that Father was looking to redo the incident in Xerxes. So he left home with his wife's blessing to stop the creature. Unfortunately Trisha died and the boys left orphans committed the taboo of human transmutation to set their own story in motion. Ed and Al meet up with Van with Ed particularly being nothing but hostile. He teaches them of the conspiracy revolving their world.

Van is basically Jesus Christ. Expect he's kind of bad at it. He's paralleled with Jesus as a prophet, but never really taugh anyone why alchemy was dangerous. He's also a pretty bad dad. But unlike Goku, he actually knows it and shows he's sorry about it. He dies peacefully by his wife's grave but how sad is it that he never truly reconciled with Ed or had a farewell for Al?

Overall:

Like I said. This is my all-time favorite series. Simply out it has a great cast of characters with an engaging and interesting story with a very dynamic gimmick, an easy to follow mythology and it's all wrapped in a very well told and well packaged story where nearly everyone gets their resolution and no plot point is left unturned. A true marvel that I can't stress how good and fun it is to watch. Funny, dramatic, entertaining, engaging, etc. It has appeal for everyone. An all-time classic worth watching over and over.

Need more convincing? Here's some highlights:

[youtube]2uq34TeWEdQ[/youtube]

[youtube]kKtNiPpJy0A[/youtube]

[youtube]Mw0IW5xhMnY[/youtube]

[youtube]PRmud8QZhX4[/youtube]

[youtube]X3SYkD-H-F8[/youtube]

Grade: A Mother Fucking Plus

Trivia:
  • Riza Hawkeye is badass, no doubt. It's no shock. She's voiced by Colleen Clinkenbeard who also voiced other badasses such as Erza Scarlet, Eclair, Marie Mjolnir, Monkey D. Luffy and young Gohan (DBZKai).
  • Ling Yao is voiced by Todd Haberkorn who also did Natsu Dragneel, Death The Kid and Bataar Jr. from Legend of Korra.
  • Maes Hughes is voiced by Sonny Strait who also voices Krillin.
  • Vic Mignogna voices Edward Elric. He also voices Broly.
  • When FMA:B debuted in Adult Swim, the original incarnation, which was running non-stop as reruns since 2004, was instantly dropped.
  • The original anime branches off around episode 10 when Ling Yao is introduced. Little remains unchanged until then in the Brotherhood version plot-wise. However FMA:B features the fight against the deranged Isaac McDougal, which was critical foreshadowing for the entire series, as it's first episode. In contrast, the fight between Ed and Roy as well as how Riza ends up with her pup Black Hayate are exclusive to the 2003 anime.
  • The mythology of alchemy is based on the real practice, a religious based science, which is long forgotten with Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim being a notable practitioner.
  • The legend of Xerxes is based on the Persian king of the same name. His queen's name? Amestris.
  • Square Enix reported that the series had sold sixty-four million copies worldwide as of June 25, 2014, it's claimed to be as successful a manga/anime franchise as Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are as videogames to the company. Rock on, Fullmetal.
  • It was voted the #1 Greatest Anime Series via WatchMojo.com
  • The series has a non-serial movie entitled "Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star Of Milos".
Who're you callin' short?

Next Time:
Sakuraba-Suzuki-610x250.jpg

WHAT'S BETTER THAN STAGED FIGHTS PASSED OFF AS REAL? REAL FIGHTS THAT ARE STAGED BUT STILL PASSED OFF AS REAL!

Well that Rumble sucked. Anyway.....

NJPW: Wrestle Kingdom 9 In Tokyo Dome
"If Only WWE Gave This Much A Shit About It's Undercard"

GFW-NJPW-WK9-WEB2.jpg

City: Tokyo, Japan
Arena: Tokyo Dome
Attendance: 36,000ish
Commentary: Jim Ross, Matt Striker

It's the biggest show for the Japan promotion, NJPW. And this year, it's available in the US with English commentary done by none other than the great Good Ol' JR, Jim Ross. .......And Matt Striker.

#1 IWGP Jr. Tag Team Championship:
Red Dragon c vs Time Splitters vs Young Bucks vs Forever Hooligans

Due to time constraints the feed literally starts on the entrances. The Bucks are with The Bullet Club. The English announcer (there's 2) sings their names. Matt points out the biggest flaw to the Bucks. They're polarizing. That's never good when you're independent wrestlers. The Hooligans are members of Chaos. The Time Splitters are themed after Back To The Future. How? Well Kushida dresses up like Marty McFly. Nothing else. The match card reads "Kaile O'Reilly". Haha.

I have 2 problems with this match. 1) Last year the match for the titles was Young Bucks vs Time Splitters vs Forever Hooligans vs Taka Michinoku/Taichi. The 4 teams in this match have been involved in the title scene for over a year and unlike the Dudleys/Hardys/E&C routine, there's no gimmick matches to force them to be different. 2) This should've been Time Splitters vs Red Dragon. They've had tremendous matches at Power Struggle and Final Battle. But the Bucks and Hooligans needed the paycheck. So lets cram them in. Companies do that far too ofter for supercard events and it's really annoying.

The match itself is the spotfest you'd expect. They all hit their signature spots. This match was the big hook for most American fans. But I'm not too excited because it's been done often enough. Not too bad though, but it's getting old. Red Dragon retain following the Brainbuster/Kick to the head combo.

The stage makes Wrestlemania look small. It does every year actually. Also, what the fuck is with the announcer singing the names?!

#2 Bullet Club vs NJPW

Bad Luck Fale/Yujiro Takahashi/Jeff Jarrett (with Scott D'Amore, Mao & Karen Jarrett) vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan/Satoshi Kojima/Tomoaki Honma

The Club comes out to Jarrett's theme who makes history by appearing in Wrestlemania, Bound For Glory, Starcade, Triplemania & Tokyo Dome shows. Tenzan and Kojima are legends as singles and as the tag team "Tencozy". Honma is more of a comedy guy.

And holy crap, this was short!! Jarrett accidentally whacks Takahashi with the guitar and Honma wins the match for his team with the Kokeshi. A Diving Headbutt named after what the Mii's are modelled after.

We see the Japanese team, but there's no sight of Ross and Striker.

#3: Atomics Tag Team Match
Mikey Nicholls/Naomichi Marufuji/Shane Haste/Toru Yano vs Suzukigun (Davey Boy Smith Jr/Lance Archer/Shelton Benjamin/Takashi Iizuka)

Atomics is the Mexican term for 4 on 4 matches. My thread. My rules. Yano and Iizuka used to be partners and Yano turned to join Suzukigun. Yeah, that's the 3rd stable I've named. And people bitch about TNA. Yano's team are actually from Pro Wrestling NOAH with Marufuji being the GHC World Champion. Named after a Biblical character, their logo is the freaking ARK.

OK, what gives? Another short match? This match comes off as filler to get the cross-promotion through. They're clearly rushing for the sake of the US PPV. Maybe not put people on the card unless it's for a match worth having?

Rating: D
-

#4 Shootfight
Minoru Suzuki vs Kazushi Sakuraba

These two have massive MMA backgrounds. Suzuki leads the Suzukigun stable. The match is over only by submission or knockout. Sakuraba is famous for beating 4 Gracies. Yeah, if you were looking for pro wrestling, I'm afraid I've got some bad news for you.

What we have here is what MMA has done to wrestling and why wrestling Japan took a dip in the early 2000's. Let's describe what this is. It's 2 men wrestling an MMA style match. They're having a match that is normally real being staged in an even of already staged fights. The whole reason MMA exists was to have actual fights instead of glamour matches wrestling makes. So the next logical step was to obviously stage the real-real fight too. For glamour. If this was "real" what the hell is everything else on the card? Wrestling wanting to follow MMA has damaged things and this is the proof. This was a stupid match. Why? It's not really wrestling. The point of the show. Rant over. Whatever.

Suzuki wins with a Sleeper.

Rating: If I want MMA, I'll watch UFC thank you.

They shake hands afterwards. JR points out how they're just speeding through the broadcast.

#5 NEVER Openweight Championship
Tomohiro Ishii c vs Togi Makabe

Makabe models himself after Bruiser Brody. Even having a cover of his theme song. Ishii has a torn shoulder, but he's "tough" so he refuses to fix it. It's 2015, go be stupid somewhere else. The title used to be for newer guys who were a part of the "NEVER" promotion. But it's instead become a title for stiff wrestlers to go after.

It's about time we get something good going. This match is what you'll come to expect from Japanese wrestling. Clobbering each other with elbows, manly no-sells, hard slams. It's not for everyone, but it was certainly a good match. Makabe wins WITH THE BRODY KNEE DROP! Oh, that made me smile.

Neither one of the commentators can pronounce the wrestlers names. They're also very clearly lost. No one is telling them anything. What's coming next, what people are saying, nothing. How bad is that? After match, they run down the events for 2015. You know, the ones you might want to watch via NJPW World? That was a very wasted opportunity right there. We don't get any info on these events with one of them being the return of War of the Worlds/Global Wars. Brilliant. TNA would laugh at the failed marketing there. We also get silly lines like "Next Stage: Break The Limit and "NJPW: Max Voltage!" Common theme for Japan? Butcher the English language. Anyway, breaks over. Back to the show.

#6 IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship
Kenny Omega (with The Young Bucks) vs Ryusuke Taguchi c

Matt tells us Kenny "swerved" the fans to join Bullet Club. JR: "I don't know what "swerved means. I've never been swerved. He lied to us". Hahaha! Just tell him to fuck off, JR. Kenny basically accentuates the fact that Bullet Club is an NWO parody. He's the lovechild of Scott Hall and Sean Waltman even doing both their mannerisms. Ryusuke Taguchi is more or less a comedy guy but still very good.

This match was quite good. With both guys moving fast and hitting hard. Solid Cruiserweight action but still not quite giving us a mind blowing performance. Omega wins the title with the "One Winged Angel". An Electric Chair into a Fireman's Carry Driver named after Sephiroth from Final Fantasy 7.

#7 IWGP Tag Team Championship
Hirooki Goto/Katsuyori Shibata vs Doc Gallows/Karl Anderson c
(with Tama Tonga & Amber O'Neal)

Goto and Shibata have been friends since high school, but never really finding success as a team until winning the 2014 Tag League. Tonga is the adoptive son of Meng/Haku/King Tonga and Amber is Doc's wife. Karl is a perennial tag wrestler, never having much singles success.

This match was very WWE-ish. It was pretty slow to it's point, very basic, minimal flash. Shibata punts the fuck out of Doc's head for the win in what I guess is a feel-good moment.

Rating: C

#8: #1 Contenders Match
AJ Styles vs Tetsuya Naito

It's not officially for the #1 Conteder's spot, but both men have made it clear they want the match if they win. The shot of AJ walking down the ramp is very similar to the shot of Stone Cold walking down Wrestlemania 19. Karl might be the leader of the Bullet Club, but AJ is the big bad. Tetsuya Naito used to be in the team No Limit who were in TNA and CMLL and challenged for the IWGP title last year this show.

This was.... Average. AJ dominated most of it and hit most of his signature stuff. Naito does most of the same. Until he tries a Huracanrana off the top only for AJ to hold it and hit the Styles Clash from up there. They're trying to paint the Styles Clash as this killer move. Except that happened because the wrestlers take it wrong. Oh, the lyrics of AJ's theme? "Fuck your dreams, fuck your life." Glorious.

Rating: B-

Promo package for Ibushi vs Nakamura. Which JR and Striker can't translate because NO ONE BOTHERED TO TELL THEM WHAT TO SAY. Genius marketing. Basically, Nakamura is top dog (with a midcard title? He should be jobbing, right WWE?) Ibushi is a young guy coming up.

#9 IWGP Intercontinental Championship
Shinsuke Nakamura c vs Kota Ibushi

Ibushi is also a DDT alumni. A comedy promotion. Nakamura comes out doing his best Freddy Mercury impersonation with the commentators describing him as Freddy Mercury or Michael Jackson on martial arts. Haha. Accurate though. He leads the Chaos stable.

I wanted a major match and look! I found it! This was a tremendous story with Nakamura basically schooling Ibushi and the younger guy trying to keep up with his own mocking and high flying. It's pretty clear, he's got a long way to go. Ibushi doesn't really know how to pace the high flying quite well. On the other hand, Nakamura will switch between flashy, show-off offense or more grounded Judo to either heat up the crowd or cool them off. He's a brilliant fucker. Nakamura retains by hitting a Fireman's Carry Driver and follows with the Boma Ye. The running knee. It means "Kill 'Em" in African. From the 1974 Foreman vs Ali match.

Rating A+

Shinsuke embraces Kota before having the belt put on him. He then tells the crowd he was losing and that Kota almost had him but he pulled it off. YEAOH!! He then dances away. Fuck, this guy is so ridiculous it's fun to watch.

Package on the main event. Again, no subtitles, no translation on paper. These guys are referred to as Stone Cold and The Rock and looking at how things have gone, it's actually spot on. Hiroshi is the top star of the company and Okada got the title off him in an upset. The two have feuded for 2 years on and off trading wins, but Okada hasn't won at the Tokyo Dome. He did win G1 Climax for the shot here.

Main Event: IWGP World Heavyweight Championship
Hiroshi Tanahashi c vs Kazuchika Okada

Okada is basically a wrestling Yakuza boss. He's a member of Chaos and beat Shinsuke Nakamura to win the G1 Climax tournament. It's a fuck long tournament. NJPW holds about 4 or 5 a year. And people bitch about TNA doing it. Tanahashi is the only 7 time Champion. He's also the "Ace Of The Universe". And you thought "Best In The World" was hyperbole. Ross and Striker give us more extensive history with Hiroshi backing off after Okada took the title off him but ended up taking it from AJ. Leading Okada to challenge him.

I have one issue with this match. It's similar in structure to the earlier match with Shinsuke and Ibushi. It takes it's time to build up. It'll turn off and turn back down for a while. The wrestlers slowly hit their big spots and give us lots of false finishes but at very distant moments. The problem? The earlier match did it in less time. It was more condensed and to fans desensitized by WWE's monopoly, the shorter the better. But this was surely not bad. Just not as good as the previous match. Tanahashi wins with the High Fly Flow. A Frog Splash which he hit about 5 times in the match.

Rating: A

Tanahashi has the title put on him and then cuts a promo praising Okada's effort. Tells me he "loves me"?? Take me to dinner first at least, dude. Okada walks off crying which has set off a losing streak as well as turned him face.

This was a pretty solid show. But some matches seemed rushed, the Atomics match really wasn't needed and I've said enough about Sakuraba vs Suzuki. It gets all this praise, but no one pays attention to how it basically spits on the very concept of both wrestling and MMA. But whatever. Shinsuke and Ibushi gave us a damn good match and Okada and Hiroshi followed up well. It's worth looking into. But I see whatis NJPW's biggest problem. It's fans. You constantly hear how amazing the product is. How amazing the wrestlers are. You come in and expect to be blown away by constant 5 star performances. That's not the case. These guys are just like NXT and Lucha Underground. Simple logical booking. But we have to praise them as the be-all-end-all of wrestling and when we can't see where all the praise is coming from, well we get annoyed by the fanbase and learn to dislike the product they won't shut up about.

Overall Rating: B

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back