Kevin Owens debut

MR K

Occasional Pre-Show
Having watched the viginettes for Kevin Owens debut and already knowing what he can do in the ring, I am extremley hyped for his debut.

WWE have handled the viginettes in their typically great style and told his story really well, I feel it has been left for a heel turn against Zayn though. I have no issues with this at all as they work so well together.

I hope WWE handle him well and allow him to retain his edge from the indies. I feel he will get over with the live crowds without any issues.

So what do you think? Is anyone else looking forward to his debut?

I think he'll do well in NXT as it's been demonstrated that there are a lot of people involved in WWE's developmental system who know how to handle talent. The only issue potentially on the horizon is when/if he makes it to the main roster because Triple H will no longer be the one running the show. When ultimately deciding on what to do with talent called up from NXT, Vince has been hit & miss. If his opinion as to what to do with talent or which direction to take them differs from Triple H's, it's ultimately Vince's decision.

I'm excited for his NXT debut, hopefully Zayn will win the title at R-Evolution and feud with Owens. Like you mentioned they work really well together. I'm not thinking about his eventual call up to the main roster honestly. I'm focusing on NXT and all the great matches he can have there. His Everyman character seems very interesting, the vignettes painting him as an honest working family man with a violent streak. I also loved how they pointed out him working with Zayn and Neville before and how he may resent the fact that they came to the WWE before him. All in all I'm very excited for what they can do with him. Also correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Vince make a rule that NXT Stars had to spend at least a year there before being called up?

Yeah I've heard that vince wants them to spend a year there, which is a shame because I feel Zayn, Neville and the Ascension are ready. Also if the Kevin Owens viginettes had been aired on Raw then I feel he could have made an impact instead of going to NXT.

If he does spend a year in NXT, hopefully it will make him hungrier than he is already. Would be great to see him getting showcased in the rumble for a few minutes also.

Also with his "violent everyman" gimmick vince will give him an oppertunity.

Whilst all of these guys may be ready to make the step up, I doubt they'd be fast tracked to the Main Roster, given what happened with Botchcara.

Also, WWE is currently attemtping to push new guys and have tended to sometime forget about Midcard talent to an extent. Look at Cesaro at this time, a guy who is in limbo and awaiting his major push but can't get it because there are other guys ahead in the pecking order.

Actually, we saw Bo Dallas, Adam Rose and Rusev all coming up to the Main Roster, and only Rusev has managed to make himself relevant enough whilst the other two have been portrayed as comedy acts.

It is better if the likes of Neville, Zayn, Itami, Balor, Owens and even the Ascension are slowly brought up in a manner in which they can make an impact... rather than be saddled with a gimmick that Vince fancies, which winds up being a comedy crapfest within a couple of months.

It is also interesting to note that in recent times, Factions/Stables have proven to be a brilliant way in getting over the new talent making the step up, whether it be the SHIELD, the Wyatt family or even the Nexus which failed but was close to making Barrett a Top Talent had it been booked in a better manner, whilst Bryan also got a bit of a jumpstart through the Nexus as well.

It is also interesting to note that in recent times, Factions/Stables have proven to be a brilliant way in getting over the new talent making the step up, whether it be the SHIELD, the Wyatt family or even the Nexus which failed but was close to making Barrett a Top Talent had it been booked in a better manner, whilst Bryan also got a bit of a jumpstart through the Nexus as well.

This is true, A Owens, Zayn, and Neville stable would be pretty awesome.

I have a good feeling about Kevin Owens/Steen. The whole angle of showing him wrestling guys like Bryan and Rollins in the indies in his vignette and saying "I was happy for them to make it to the WWE... but now it's my time" is great for him. It allows him to use his history of being in the ring with some of the creme of the crop of today's young guys and kind of puts him closer to their level instead of say KENTA who they just vaguely mentioned was a megastar in Japan. It's a little hard to tell from the lighting in those vignettes, but it also looks like he is in way better physical shape now and his gear is cool.

I'm not sure on the policy of "how long a talent has to be in NXT", but they have ran Adrian Nevelle and Sami Zayn into the ground and it's time to bring up some new guys. I know some say it could take a year, it could take several to be called up. But Prince Devitt/Finn Balor's contract supposedly specifically mentioned he will not be in NXT long (assuming because he could make a bigger pay day in Japan than floating around NXT developmental and is a master in the ring).

I see Kevin Owens being a new standard bearer/face of NXT for a while. They need him there.

"Everyman" is as good a way as any to go with Ste-, uh Owens. From the couple of matches, promos and those vlogs he does I've seen of him, he looks extremely likable. And by gum, that chubby guy can move! He's even more acrofatic than Bray Wyatt!

Honestly, I don't know how much the average fan will care about a bunch of nobodies suddenly in everybody's business. At least, for me, anyway. Suddenly these six dudes who you've never heard of before try to take shit over without any credibility - that's what the Nexus was to me.

Now, with the Shield and the Wyatts, the amount of nobodies were cut by half - immediate improvement right there. Adding to that, we had NXT to get to know the Wyatt Family, Rollins and (somewhat) Reigns. Also, the Shield didn't lose in their debut year - contrast that to the Nexus who were all taken out by the one-man army that is John Cena.

So I'd agree that smaller stables are a great way to get more than one guy over at once, but they have to be protected.

Honestly, I don't know how much the average fan will care about a bunch of nobodies suddenly in everybody's business. At least, for me, anyway. Suddenly these six dudes who you've never heard of before try to take shit over without any credibility - that's what the Nexus was to me.

Now, with the Shield and the Wyatts, the amount of nobodies were cut by half - immediate improvement right there. Adding to that, we had NXT to get to know the Wyatt Family, Rollins and (somewhat) Reigns. Also, the Shield didn't lose in their debut year - contrast that to the Nexus who were all taken out by the one-man army that is John Cena.

So I'd agree that smaller stables are a great way to get more than one guy over at once, but they have to be protected.

Well, with regards to Nexus, I think that was more a vehicle to get Barrett over, and to an extent Daniel Bryan also got his introduction by being the one to 'turn' on the group.

As for the SHIELD and the Wyatts.
Again, the Shield seemed to be about getting all 3 over, and their consistently strong booking and chemistry helped that big time. I was actually sad they broke up at their peak
(Fuck You, Traitorface!)
The Wyatt family, is another group, which was brought up in order to push Bray, whilst it has actually helped in getting over both Harper and even Rowan as well.

I just think given the amount of talented guys available in NXT, it would be better if maybe, 2/3 guys come up as a Serious Team, rather than being debuted as comedy relief which is a virtual death knell for any guy,lMO. Also, they need to be slowly brought up, and not just rushed in one after the other in a short space of time.

I wonder if they could pull off a sort of invasion angle? May be a good way to get the NXT guys over. THey could play the "we are being held back and kept away from the main roster" card and they are here to prove they deserve to be on the main roster. It could work if done properly.

I wonder if they could pull off a sort of invasion angle? May be a good way to get the NXT guys over. THey could play the "we are being held back and kept away from the main roster" card and they are here to prove they deserve to be on the main roster. It could work if done properly.

They did that in 2010. And it would only get a backlash from the wrasslin nerds and that fat motherfucka Mark Madden saying WWE has no original storylines...that has a snowball effect on others who then turn against the product.

Personally I wouldn't be against it.

If they keep Owens in his same persona when he gets moved up to the main roster, I have no doubt he will be an absolute star. He is kind of like Abbrose without the "lunitic" part. He has all the tools to make a great WWE champion. He apears to have a ton of respect for the business and comes across as a genuine fan.

Another thing going for him is that I think he will sell a ton of merchandise, which seems to be an important factor these days. His KO t-shirt was alright as far as wrestling t-shirts go and the ones he wore in the indies were all good sellers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back