Kalisto Can Be WWE's Next Rey Mysterio

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Over the past several years, there've been numerous reports stating that Vince McMahon has been looking for a luchadore to ultimately take the place of Rey Mysterio. That desire is the primary reason why WWE signed Mexican star Mistico, AKA the original Sin Cara, a few years back. At one point, Vince was hoping to establish Sin Cara as the successor to Mysterio by having the two of them feud at a WrestleMania event and establish a world record by having all the fans in attendance don luchadore masks during the match.

However, needless to say, Sin Cara simply didn't work out. He hardly spoke any English and various reports have suggested that he didn't really put a ton of effort into trying to learn English. Dunno if that's true, just what I've read. Probably the biggest thing going against him was the fact that he was prone to botches during his matches. Few matches came about in which he didn't botch a move or two, which isn't the end of the world, but when your entire rep is built around high spots, it doesn't look all that good.

In Kalisto, however, it looks to me as if Vince may have found that successor. He's energetic, he's athletic, has a lot of fans in NXT, can do all the high flying stuff, knows how to tell a story and can do more than the luchadore style, has a colorful persona, can actually speak English and is only 27 years old. There's a ton of upside to him and while I doubt he'll be winning the WWE World Heavyweight Championship anytime in the near future, at least not with Vince ultimately in charge, he could still be a mainstay in the upper mid-card or tag team divisions for years to come.

I remember watching him at an NXT Live Event last December, I took along my friend who doesn't like wrestling (it was only $10 and a way to spend a night). I asked my friend at the end of the night what he thought; he said he couldn't remember anybodies name from the night, but that he was 'really impressed by that Kallisto guy'.

I think that shows just how good he is. He is so good that even a non-wrestling fan can look and say 'Yeah, he's got something'

Bearing in mind he's only 27, if he can look after himself (or at least half as good as Rey treated himself), he can easily have a good 10 year career in the main roster MINIMUM

Kalisto has everything it takes to be a star and the next Rey Mysterio.
I watched him on the indies over the past year or so and I like him alot.
Hopefully he can stay healthy and be a star, he has my support!

Yeah Kallisto is cool and has that underlying underdog charisma when he cuts promos. And I agree, the fact that he's already really fluent in english will help him a lot.

I've been saying this since he was signed. I've been a fan of him since seeing him in Evolve, and while I didn't expect to see him in WWE, I was excited to see what they'd do when they did sign him.

I'm happy with his work on NXT so far.

The thing is that Kallisto is from Chicago. He will have a cult following due to that. The only thing I see that Sam... I mean Kallisto has, it his ability to use the mic in the WWE the way they want him to use the mic.

Been a fan of Kalisto before his NXT debut, always thought he had the potential to become a big star and I feel no different now. Only time will tell how far he goes but I can see him becoming a star like Rey Mysterio and create a legacy in the WWE.

I'd rather he become more of a Jeff Hardy than Mysterio... and I mean that in a good way. Jeff Hardy was allowed to grow organically and was pushed properly, and not only that but he wasn't always given stupid underdog stories like Mysterio. And dare I say that he was way more popular than Mysterio was...

And if I'm being even more honest, I'd like for WWE to scrap Los Matadores and either bring the Colons in as themselves or let them be under the hood as well... like legit hoods and not those stupid ones they wear now. I think if WWE wants to tap into the Mexican territories, they need more Luchadores... also, why not give Justin Gabriel a mask? He's not doing anything... maybe they can even pick up the Bravado Brothers or someone like that to put them under masks.

I got a tad nauseous with the Jeff Hardy reference, even knowing what you're trying to say. On the topic of Kallisto, he definitely can be the next Rey Mysterio. I have to run so this post would be shorter than I'd like. I do not want many more luchadors in WWE. No. He's special because he's unique. Flood WWE with a ton of shitty rip-offs and he loses his shine.

I'll write more later, but I really like the guy and I think he has the potential to go a long long way in WWE. We already saw that his offense works well with big men like The Ascension. Very cool.

LU-CHA!!! LU-CHA!!!

I'll write more later, guys.

Probably not.

He is entertaining sure, but sincerely looks like a child. I am not saying he can't be successfull and a major contributor, especially if they enter the realm of lightweight division again. I would say someone would have to be at least the size of Sin Cara if we are talking the sheer heights Rey Msyterio ascended to.

If we mean just "the masked mexican guy whose masks sell" then yes, he can be. Shit, Sin Cara can still be as well.

The boat sailed long ago on Sin Cara , whether it's Hunico under the mask or not. His star will shine brighter being paired with Kallisto though in the Lucha Dragons. Size has commonly been a way to point the finger at many talented wrestlers and say they don't have it. We know now that your claims that Kallisto is too small are hollow, as we've seen Bret Hart, HBK, and yes Rey Mysterio all become world champions. Size means nothing, heart and whether the fans pay to see you is the real determining factor. He's off to a fun start in NXT, and time will be the true test for the immensely talented Samurai of the Sun.

As being a latino person, I can say Kalisto might have a bright future, but not as big as Rey and Eddie. Why? Cause the latinos, hispanics, and mexicans won't have that same bond they have/had with Rey and Eddie. Cause those two shared their blood in Mexico where the money comes from for a luchador to succeed.

As being a latino person, I can say Kalisto might have a bright future, but not as big as Rey and Eddie. Why? Cause the latinos, hispanics, and mexicans won't have that same bond they have/had with Rey and Eddie. Cause those two shared their blood in Mexico where the money comes from for a luchador to succeed.

That's an incredibly insightful observation and something I certainly would not have considered. They do count on the Latino community to support Latino wrestlers.

He is entertaining sure, but sincerely looks like a child.

Is this not a bit harsh considering he's the same height as Rey Mysterio? This being the same Rey Mysterio that Chris Jericho thought was a twelve year old when they first met, despite Rey being in his twenties. It's that (literal) babyface aura that reminds me so much of Rey. You know, along with him being an absurdly athletic masked luchador and all that.

Is this not a bit harsh considering he's the same height as Rey Mysterio? This being the same Rey Mysterio that Chris Jericho thought was a twelve year old when they first met, despite Rey being in his twenties. It's that (literal) babyface aura that reminds me so much of Rey. You know, along with him being an absurdly athletic masked luchador and all that.

Oh yeah, nothing that major that's reminiscent of Rey except you know.... everything he does. (And that is a good thing). I feel like I'm watching Rey in his early 20's again wrestling Eddie at Halloween Havoc 97.

:confused:

Kalisto was in AAA. He was the protege of one of the most popular stars in Mexico. I'm sure he will have no problem connecting with the latin audience who are dying for a wrestling star in the WWE.

He can achieve the same level or an even higher level of popularity that Rey had. Rey was revolutionary though and Kalisto will have to step up to that level if he wants to surpass Rey.

I don't know if he does. The point of being an innovator, or at least an effect of it, is that it's easier for everyone who comes after you. Rey proved that you can bank on someone who's five foot six, who's Mexican-American, who wears a luchador mask to sell merchandise, to put arses in seats and to be world heavyweight champion. Kalisto doesn't have to prove it again.

Mysterio was still in his early 20s, in opposition to Kalisto being in his late 20s.

Kalisto also wont be able to juice up the way Mysterio did during his main ME run.

The easiest way to look at it is this.....How many Rey Mysterios have there been?

Modern day Rey Mysterio still looks like a kid. Facial hair or no, he's all eyelashes, puppy dog eyes and squeaky voice under that mask.

Rey's one of a kind, that shouldn't be doubted, but his build during his WWE years became just a little... uncanny. Just who he was just trying to appease by putting on that kind of mass is anyone's guess - and anyone would guess Vince McMahon - but he went from lithe luchador to chunky monkey. He didn't look older, just odder. If Kalisto can't go down that route, it shouldn't - not won't but shouldn't - be a problem.

The way to success is rarely "Remember that lightning that struck? Yeah, let's just do that again" but it can't be overstated how reminiscent Kalisto is of a young Rey Mysterio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back