• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Just steal a old gimmick and put some paint on it.

Total Impact

A Poster Name Total Impact
I was thinking about this for a while, but instead of coming up with new gimmicks, why not just do old gimmicks. I mean guys like Ric Flair, Jerry Lawler, Hulk Hogan, Chris Jericho all stole their gimmicks in the beginning of their careers from some other wrestler and it got them over. Rick Flair gimmick was stolen from Buddy Rodgers right from the hair to the name to the gold rolex watch.

Don’t go the Jay Lethal or Charlie Hass route of making a fool out of the gimmick for comic purposes, but actual take an old gimmick and give it to a wrestler and run with. My ideas include:

The Fabulous Freebirds
Three man group that believe they are rock in roll stars would be great and they have the son of Terry Gordy sitting on the roster carrying around a ******. Why not have Jesse “Slam” Gordy, Jamie “By God” Noble and Mike “Hard” Knox together. They could use the same name and pretty much the same gimmick and it could go over with the crowds as long as one of them can talk like Michael “PS” Hayes. Hell even make Howard Finkel their Road Manager and call him “Big Daddy” Fink.

Evolution
I truly believe the WWE should bring this back and not with the second generation idea. Turn Triple H back to a heel, give him three superstars and let him get them over like he did with Flair, Orton and Batista. Plus who wouldn’t want to hear Line in the Sand once again. My picks for a new Evolution: Triple H, Jack Swagger, John Morrison, Tyson Kidd or to shock the world Shawn Michaels as a heel to be Veteran leader that Flair was to the group.

“Nature Boy”
The nature boy gimmick has been played by three wrestlers, Buddy Rodgers, Buddy Landel & Ric Flair, why not give to a fourth wrestler. I can’t think of no one on the roster right now who could have that gimmick, but dye some kid’s hair blonde, give him a suit, a Rolex, make sure he can go in the ring and on the mic and call him the Nature Boy and it will get over.

D-Generation X
Another one of those great gimmicks that yes is a stable gimmick, but can get anyone over in a second. Why not create D-Generation-NEX, on that who second generation superstar trip Vince is going through right now to help it out as well. My perfect people for this group would be John Morrison, The Miz, The Brian Kendrick and R-Truth along with Dustin Rhodes playing the role Rick Rude played in the past.

Hollywood Blondes
I loved this gimmick from WCW, throwing two guys together and just basically saying, get yourselves over. Mr. Kennedy will never be in the Main Event as his body breaks down too much, so why put him and The Brian Kendrick together and call them the Hollywood Blondes. I think that would be a cool tag team as it would be the same as Austin-Pillman, of a technical and high-flyer together, plus Kennedy could work the mic for the group.

“The Next Big Thing”
Five months and you got a star. I mean the WWE made a main eventer in Five months. Do that again. Sure you take a chance of that guy running away from the WWE, but it’s worth it if it means money. And it doesn’t have to be swollen wrestler this time, you can get a average guy with incredible wrestling skills this push. Get him a manager, call the “Prototypical Champion” and push him to the Title like you did Brock. I thought they were doing this with Swagger, but apparently he was overrated in the ring and couldn’t make the card at WrestleMania. What “World” champion can’t even make it to WrestleMania, even Chavo made it, barely, but he made it.

I can’t think of any more ideas, but I think you get the point. This would get some guys over and it creates matches like the Battle of the Nature Boys, or DX vs D-Nex, Evolution vs Evolution. It would at least be interesting. Plus I would just love to either hear the old themes one more time or cool remixes.

Hollywood Blondes
I loved this gimmick from WCW, throwing two guys together and just basically saying, get yourselves over. Mr. Kennedy will never be in the Main Event as his body breaks down too much, so why put him and The Brian Kendrick together and call them the Hollywood Blondes. I think that would be a cool tag team as it would be the same as Austin-Pillman, of a technical and high-flyer together, plus Kennedy could work the mic for the group.

The last time someone went near that gimmick we got the West Hollywood Blondes. Lenny and Lodi what a team.

My pick which I'm sure will be a lot of peoples pick is the Canadian Bulldogs, New Hart Foundation or whatever you would like to call them. Have NAttie, DH, and Tyson all come together to form this. I'm pretty positive this will be over bc fans usually go apeshit when they hear the HArt name and rightfully so. I think maybe bring them in as faces have them feud with Ted and Cody and have their family histories and respecting the past being tied in their somewhere.

I was looking forward to the New Hart Foundation too, but Teddy Hart screwed up, then DH Smith lobbiedto be in Legacy. I hope they do that gimmick as I heard that Bret was willing to introduce the group or give them his blessing on TV as the new Hart Foundation. I would take it one step futher and make Jim Niedhart their mentor like Tony Atlas is to Mark Henry just to truly past the torch.

I was looking forward to the New Hart Foundation too, but Teddy Hart screwed up, then DH Smith lobbiedto be in Legacy. I hope they do that gimmick as I heard that Bret was willing to introduce the group or give them his blessing on TV as the new Hart Foundation. I would take it one step futher and make Jim Niedhart their mentor like Tony Atlas is to Mark Henry just to truly past the torch.

I never understood the Atlas pairing with Henry bc giving a guy who sucks on the mic a manager who also sucks on the mic seeing as the manager is supposed to be a mouthpiece for wrestlers who can't hang on the stick.

From what I've seen of DH in FCW on the mic and the very little ive seen of Tyson kidd speak they definitely need a mouthpiece. From what i remember of Neidhart he wasn't half bad and he would do that laugh which is pretty sweet i guess. But really for the love of god will the WWE just put them together it seems like I've and im sure many others have been waiting forever for them to do that.

With the Tag Titles merging, it seems as if they are possibly putting a renewed interest in the tag division as it gives the division more credible contenders going after one belt rather then few contenders going after two diluting the division. That being said the Canadian Bulldogs or NEw HArt Foundation would add solid team to the division and maybe bring to life a once proud add exciting part of wrestling.

i tottaly agrre with these ideas. especially the freebirds idea. here are some more ideas

l.o.d.- the best tag team in history. have 2 new starts sport the spikes nd face paint. my 2 picks paul burchill nd mike knox or ricky ortiz

rick rood- no brainer who takes that gimmick. john morrison

mr. perfect-have the videos of this athlete doin everything perfect. my pick here dj gabriel or jack swagger

hot rod-bring back a new version of pipers pit nd have this guy have attitude nd be one tough s.o.b. stick with a scottish man. my pick drew macintire(not sure if i got his name rite)

evolution- defenitly bring this back. leader- randy orton vet-finley future stars-tyson kidd nd mvp

I think it is fine to take an old gimmick that worked and make it new again, I just think it needs enough time between them, to where theres a new generation of fans watching, say at least ten years between the two of them. That way the legacy of great gimmicks can live on like the Nature boy one and it is still fresh. Booker T basically redid the Harley Race king of the ring thing too which worked cause there was enough time. Ive also heard that the master lock challenge was renewed from something before our time. I think it will be a while before say a renewed DX can work because they keep reuniting. A new Hart Foundation would be good though.

mr. perfect-have the videos of this athlete doin everything perfect. my pick here dj gabriel or jack swagger

DJ Gabriel is already stealing Alex Wrights old gimmick. If you're redoing Mr. Perfect you might as well call Joe henning up and be it. If anyone deserves to be honored with a new mr. perfect gimmick it should be him.

I never understood the Atlas pairing with Henry bc giving a guy who sucks on the mic a manager who also sucks on the mic seeing as the manager is supposed to be a mouthpiece for wrestlers who can't hang on the stick.

Atlas is with Henry because Atlas is in good shape and workout a lot and te WWE hopes that Atlas can keep Henry in shape as Henry tends to eat too much and not workout as much as he should.

The LOD gimmick can't be redone as the WWE screwed that up in 2005 I think with Animal and Henderich. If it was to be redone they could redo Demolition.But Burchil & Ortiz, not a chance. Maybe Ezecikal Jackson and Festus under mask and different names.

The Mr. Perfect gimmick can only go to Joe Henning. Maybe "Joe Perfect."

Evolution with Finlay would never work as he isn't that vet that has that class look that Evolution had. I would love to see either HBK in that role as it would be so cool to see HBK hell again. Plus its time for him to put some new guys over.

i see the mentality and the rashionality on this, but in reality i dont think it would work.let me rephrase that, it will work but to an extent. for a few weeks it'll be great...for the fans who were around that time. it'd make total sense for them and it would be very nostalgic to remember the freebirds or the LOD. but what about the new fans the wwe is picking up now? they'd have NO idea who these wrestlers are supposed to be or who it is they're supposed to be representing. remember, the reformation of DX worked because we as older fans remembered the first DX. the kids now really thought it was something cool and new...i showed by 9 year old cousin some old DX stuff...he was like...wow they're old and not that funny.

it would be a novelty that would grow old and then it would be discarded. great idea, just wouldnt work.

the evolution gimmick would be great and like the free birds idea and joe henning as mr.perfect jr. makes sense. and still would have like to see hart foundation 2.0 idea.

evolution would be hard to do with hhh because as long as orton is heel would be hard to make him heel as they would never get along and maybe it would if they stay on different brands would like to see another evolution with

hhh, hbk, and can't think of others. wouldn't complain if batista and naich got thrown in as long as naich don't wrestle. them to have good chemistry and some mid carder to bring up. maybe kennedy

yeah i like that evolution hhh, hbk, batista, and kennedy with naitch managing.

and could see a more dx attitude style but don't call dx group with miz, morrison, as long as they dropped the prima donna look and went more serious, kendrick, and how bout a heel cm punk. think he has a lot of heel potential

Just thought of this but pretty sure tna has mem name copyrighted but what if wwe signed all them and they debuted kinda hating on wwe and as heels. think they are very evolution esque and wwe could make them better i believe. and would love to see sting with one run in wwe

i see the mentality and the rashionality on this, but in reality i dont think it would work.let me rephrase that, it will work but to an extent. for a few weeks it'll be great...for the fans who were around that time. it'd make total sense for them and it would be very nostalgic to remember the freebirds or the LOD. but what about the new fans the wwe is picking up now? they'd have NO idea who these wrestlers are supposed to be or who it is they're supposed to be representing. remember, the reformation of DX worked because we as older fans remembered the first DX. the kids now really thought it was something cool and new...i showed by 9 year old cousin some old DX stuff...he was like...wow they're old and not that funny.

it would be a novelty that would grow old and then it would be discarded. great idea, just wouldnt work.

But the WWE needs a quick shot in the arm that will get old fans back along with new fans and this could help do that. I see your point as I have the opposite view of DX. I like the old DX way better than the new DX. Something about the goofy HBK of now is not the same as the goofy HBK of old. I know HBK is a Christian, but Sting is one and he is going great with MEM. I see your point of new fans not getting it, but it could be new fans loving like with Ric Flair and Buddy Landel. I had no idea that Flair stole his gimmick from Rodgers, what was this cool guy and cool gimmick and that is what I think new fans will see. The older fans get to say to ourselves who was better, the original or the new, while the new fans get to enjoy this “New” gimmick in there eyes. Plus wrestling is recycled storylines from the past, why not recycle gimmicks that got over. I just want to see a New Freebirds! Michael Hayes for the love of all that is mighty, recreate the Freebirds.

The greatest intro in all of wrestling remember the old WCW with Gary Michael Capetta”

Good Evening Wrestling Fans, Our Next Match, Schedule for One Fall is for the WCW World Tag Team Championships, introducing first, being accompanied by their manager Diamond Dallas Page and the Diamond Dolls, from Badstreet USA out of Atlanta Georgia, the Greatest Rock and Roll Band of all time, Michael “PS” Hayes, Jimmy “Jam” Garvin. The Fabulous Freedbirds!!!!

It was so cool.

yeah those were some great times. i loved the freebirds....maybe it could work, but i really really dout it.

you cant reproduce something that's already legendary. michael hayes and jimmy garvin were one of a kind...you cant catch that sorta bravado or charisma with someone else. you just cant. people like that come around once in a lifetime.

imagine....lillian garcia....our next matche, scheduled for one fall..and is for the wwe tag team championship!(badstreet usa plays) accompanied by their manager..michael ps hayes....from badstreet usa, john badboy morrison and "rockin" ray gordy...the fabulous freebirds!!!

<crickets chirping>

see what i'm saying?

yeah those were some great times. i loved the freebirds....maybe it could work, but i really really dout it.

you cant reproduce something that's already legendary. michael hayes and jimmy garvin were one of a kind...you cant catch that sorta bravado or charisma with someone else. you just cant. people like that come around once in a lifetime.

imagine....lillian garcia....our next matched, scheduled for one fall..and is for the wwe tag team championship! (badstreet usa plays) accompanied by their manager..michael ps hayes....from badstreet pa, john badboy morrison and "rockin" ray gordy...the fabulous freebirds!!!

<crickets chirping>

see what i'm saying?

John Morrison has the attitude to pull it off. He and Jesse Gordy along the Miz could do if they are pushed as badass heels as the freebirds were. Plus find a tag team like the Von Erichs that the fans can get behind and you have that classic rival back. Any gimmick can get over in my eyes, you just need the WWE trying to get it over & two wrestlers willing to work to get it over.

when was the last time you saw the wwe try really hard to push a good set of talent? if they dont strike a chord from the get go, they're shipped off.

that's the wwe's problem, they dont give talent time to blosom into something great.

John Morrison has the attitude to pull it off. He and Jesse Gordy along the Miz could do if they are pushed as badass heels as the freebirds were. Plus find a tag team like the Von Erichs that the fans can get behind and you have that classic rival back. Any gimmick can get over in my eyes, you just need the WWE trying to get it over & two wrestlers willing to work to get it over.

i agree with the miz/morrison/jesse freebird gimmick. they should feud with mike,ted nd bret dibiase. think about the classic matches those 6 will have

I have been waiting for the Hart Foundation 2.0 for what seems like forever now. There were rumors and hints running rampant back when Nattie was signed. They had D.H. on television a couple of times. That led to more rumors that it was about to be formed. Then Teddy Hart messed up so it was put on hold. I haven't seen Teddy wrestle, but I have seen D.H. and Nattie and they are incredible. I really hope that WWE doesn't waste the great talent that they have. They should form this group and soon. It isn't like Smackdown couldn't use something new.

NO, you guys dont get it. You cant just stick someone in a gimmick and say do this.... These are wrestlers- not actors. They sell themselves! The gimmicks that work and get over are the ones in which the wrestlers are using a part of themselves. Think of the top wrestlers in history, Stone Cold, Rock, hbk, hhh, hogan, Warrior, Bret hart, Mr Perfect, all being themselves- not a gimmick.

They already had it, but people could not see past who he used to be. Dolf Zigler was the new Mr. Perfect. Reasons why he did not work range from (1)people not giving him a chance since he was a member of the spirit squad or other dumb gimmics, (2)he does promos for months only to lose his debut match, (3) his debut match is against BATISTA, (4) his dumb ass tested positive on a illegal drug test or the rumors seem to point that way. This guy wrestled well, talked garbage to his opponents, had a good look and was in shape, & seemed to be comfortable talking on camera. Could of, should have, didn't though.

these ideas to me are realy bad, no offence but seeing some random die his hair blonde calling him self the nature boy would be a complete joke, yes maby it worked for ric flair but times have changed. Making another evolution or dx would just be horrible and there would be no need for it, why not just make another stable?

the whole joe hennig doing Mr perfect repeat is also dumb mr perfect had the skill the look and well preety much everything while joe hennig looks mlike a tubby ****** from what ive seen.

putting hhh, hbk, batista in one group would be simply idiotic if you turn them 3 heels and then having them getting beet up by john cena 3 on 1 woulde'nt make sense, and if they are face then how will it work? will batista and hbk act like tripple h's body guards? who would go for the title?

I always thought Evolution was already a retread of the 4 Horsemen, they seem to have already slapped some paint on that old gimmick quite a few time. It's very hard to come up with something new in entertainment, one look at all the remakes in movies should tell you.The new Hart Foundation sounds interesting though.

Ive also heard that the master lock challenge was renewed from something before our time.

If i'm right, That would be Hercules, Decent wrestler, Look him up.

I'm all for this, But not having the exact same gimmick, Just similarities. Take John Cena as an example, his T-shirt say's "Hustle, Loyalty, Respect.", Telling people to be good, Hulk Hogan was doing that 20 year's ago.

I'd like to see gimmick's rehashed, But tweaked. It wouldn't bother me if a wrestler was called the nature, But having someone dress, Act, And wrestle just like him is doing a Jay Lethal.

these ideas to me are realy bad, no offence but seeing some random die his hair blonde calling him self the nature boy would be a complete joke, yes maby it worked for ric flair but times have changed. Making another evolution or dx would just be horrible and there would be no need for it, why not just make another stable?

the whole joe hennig doing Mr perfect repeat is also dumb mr perfect had the skill the look and well preety much everything while joe hennig looks mlike a tubby ****** from what ive seen.

putting hhh, hbk, batista in one group would be simply idiotic if you turn them 3 heels and then having them getting beet up by john cena 3 on 1 woulde'nt make sense, and if they are face then how will it work? will batista and hbk act like tripple h's body guards? who would go for the title?

completely agree. There is a spirit to every gimmick you have to capture and become.

Evolution wasn't just a veteran, the champ, and 2 pupils. It was the best of past, the best of today, and the best of tomorrow. So unless Hogan or Hart come back and make Edge or Cena their pupil and then adopt a student or two come up to their level, horrible idea.

DX wasn't just crude jokes and high school antics. It was two guys who weren't receiving the respects they felt they deserved. If they were going to be treated like misfit degenerates, then they would be degenerates to the fullest.

Are we going to recommend a new Kane? Undertaker? Stone Cold? Billy and Chuck? New biker bad-ass? Oh yeah that was Palumbo and that worked out real well.

If you don't catch the spirit of a "gimmick," you look as stupid as Haas does every time he shows up on TV.

Jay Lethal gimmick is a joke, and it could have been done better as inspiration instead of a parody. Look in wrestling history of gimmick stealing and making it your own. Larry Zbysko stole Brunno Sammartino &#8220;Living Legend&#8221; gimmick and made it his own. I&#8217;m not saying take every gimmick and do it over word for word, but take and old gimmick and put a little new life into while letting it be know it&#8217;s a past gimmick as well. A guy can be the &#8220;New Nature Boy&#8221; and ride in limos, jet setting, and kiss stealing, but instead of the gold Rolex, can have the platinum Rolex. Just make it new, while not trying to be a parody as TNA did with Lethal.

Another Billy & Chuck would be funny, I thought they would have done that with Hawkins and Ryder but with them used to being &#8220;brothers&#8221; it makes it kind of weird. Plus I would believe those guys to being gay, Billy Gunn on the other hand can play gay easy while Chuck just was along for the ride.

But stables are easy to be done, as putting people in a stables are an easy way to get them over and make them legit. Look at what the Horeman name did for so many in WCW. Look at what happen to every man who joined the NWO when it was good, they were instant heels and over. So a new DX could work, just work at it. WWE needs patience to make it work like TNA did with the MEM, just don&#8217;t fuck it up like TNA has done with the MEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back