• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Just Change the Rule Already

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
This thread is for rules that are clearly and obviously violated, but are now accepted. For example:

In baseball, the rule states that a pitch has to cross the plate between the knees and the ltters on the chest in order to be a strike. Well, obviously, that isn't the case anymore. Now it's from the knees to the belly button, plus a half inch on both sides of the plate.

In basketball, walking is taking a step, and then lifting your other foot off the ground, the so-called pivot food. In the NBA, this rule has gone completely bye-bye. Now you can get two or even three steps, depending on how much money you make the NBA.

If these sports are going to not enforce these rules, then they need to just change the rule and admit the rule changes.

What are some other examples you can think of?

The Neighborhood rule:

In baseball, for some reason, a runner advancing to second base can be forced out during a double play opportunity when the middle infielder is not touching the base. Today's baseball players are good enough athletes that they can avoid a sliding base-runner while putting an accurate throw to first base. Also, if a play is going to put your own teammate at risk of injury, then DON'T MAKE THE PLAY, because the guy could get hurt. If baseball wanted 2nd basemen to be able to make a force-out when you are standing a foot off the base, then second base would be 27 inches square, not 15. If a every other fielder needs to keep his foot on the base in order to make a force-out, then he should need to keep his foot on 2nd base too.

I'll do a different one just for fun, but I gotta go with the celebration rule for the NFL. Let the guys celebrate and have some fun doing the job they love and making their lives richer. I know it wouldn't have an impact on the game, it would just add a little fun to it and some celebrations are pretty good and creative and bring chuckles to the fans.

No touch icing in the NHL

The rule does not exist in the IIHF, but still exists in hockey. I see one purpose that it still actually serves having touch icing, and that is keeping the game going if your team retains the puck.

But the risks that remain are horrendous. Multiple players have had their bodies slammed into the end boards just racing for the puck, and a few of them have had their careers ended. On a routine play players are being injured at an alarming rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back