Juilo Cesar Chavez Jr. vs. Sergio Martinez

jmt225

Global Moderator
I could not be possibly more excited for this fight. As far as I'm concerned, this fight is bigger than Pacquiao/Mayweather could ever be at this point.

First off, let me post the video of their 'Face Off' on HBO from this weekend. It's incredible. Take 15 minutes out of your life and check it out.

[YOUTUBE]DtKeeN55qRI[/YOUTUBE]

Very intense stuff there. I think JCC came off a little better than Sergio, though. Sergio seemed a bit too defensive, but you can't blame him for being that way since he hasn't gotten nearly the credit he deserves the past 2 years or so.

As far as the fight itself goes... it's literally impossible to call. It's your classic Brawler vs. Boxer match-up. You got JCC with the size, power, aggression, and chin vs. Sergio who has the speed, agility, timing, and pitch perfect accuracy. I'm a huge fan and believer in both guys, and I just can't figure out who I think and who I want to win this. All I know for sure is that it's going to be a great, great fight and worth every penny pay-per-view is charging for.

I hope you all decide to tune in as well. If you were ever once in your life a Boxing fan, this is a must watch fight. Everybody knows who Juilo Cesar Chavez Sr. is and how great he was, but I firmly believe his son can be just as good. And then you have Sergio Martinez, who puts on nothing but great fights and is a rare case of a guy reaching his prime in his mid-to-upper 30's. Both guys are likeable, and both guys ALWAYS come to fight. It's a guaranteed barn-burner.

[YOUTUBE]3q7Nmc9C9jU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]T2DtVeE2q-A[/YOUTUBE]

I don't see how this is bigger than a potential Pacquiao/Mayweather fight unless you're personally a huge fan of one of these two fighters. Sergio's the 3rd best pound for pound fighter in the world IMO and I think he hands Chavez his first loss.

I don't see how this is bigger than a potential Pacquiao/Mayweather fight unless you're personally a huge fan of one of these two fighters. Sergio's the 3rd best pound for pound fighter in the world IMO and I think he hands Chavez his first loss.

Pacquiao vs. Mayweather would still be the biggest boxing fight of all time, no doubt, but for me personally... it wouldn't be nearly as big as if it happened in 2009. That was when both men were at their absolutely peak. Now though? Pacquiao has clearly lost a step, and Mayweather has just done a prison stint. I strongly believe both of these guys are now past their prime.

Plus, a fight between Pacquiao and Mayweather today very well end up being highly underwhelming. I'm a huge admirer of Mayweather's skills, but sometimes it causes for a boring fight. And lately Pacquiao hasn't been nearly as exciting as he once was.

JCC/Sergio, on the other hand, like I said in my opening post... GUARANTEED barn-burner. Both guys are better right now than they have ever been, and they're two of the very best pound for pound fighters in the World. And quite frankly, I think Sergio beats Pacquiao and maybe even Mayweather. He's that good. JCC though just might cause the right problems to beat Sergio down.

I can't lie... the fight intrigues the fuck out of me, much more than Pacquiao/Mayweather ever could at this point, and not to sound snobbish about it, but I think most real boxing fans would agree. Of course Mayweather/Pacquiao will outdraw JCC/Sergio if it ever happens, but to the hardcore boxing fans out there... I strongly believe JCC/Sergio is the ultimate Dream Fight out of any two fighters in the sport right now.

[YOUTUBE]JKViN85WCrI[/YOUTUBE]

Epic episode of 24/7 for these two. Man, the hype for this fight is unbelievably great.

These 30 minutes show though just how important this fight is to these men. Neither of these guys feel like they have gotten the respect they deserve, and they both feel winning this fight is the key to finally getting that respect.

You have JCC Jr. who cannot escape his father's shadow and who everyone wants to constantly criticize as someone who's been protected and only gotten this far because of his name alone. He needs to win this to show people that he's the real deal.

Then you have Sergio Martinez, who has easily been the most ducked fighter in combat sports the past 3 years, finally getting a big $$$ fight. He needs to win this to get at least another one or two big more $$$ fights before his career starts winding down.

What an important fight this is. I cannot wait.

Also, that trash talk by Chavez at the end of the episode... THAT is how you properly trash talk to someone. I know he cut Sergio deep with those comments. You can tell Sergio is highly sensitive about the lack of respect and love he gets from fans and the media, and for JCC to say what he said at the end there, when deep down Sergio knows there's some truth to it, I know that was something that bothered Sergio when he saw it. Perfect, perfect trash talk. You don't need to get personal or outlandish... just find what a person is insecure about and chew away at it, and that's exactly what JCC did.

Well, going into the 12th Round, this fight was not living up to the hype I proclaimed in this thread. I mean, there was a beautiful display of boxing from Sergio Martinez, but the fight was completely one-sided in his favor and I never expected that.

But then, in that 12th Round, we got to witness one of the greatest, most exciting final rounds in boxing history.

After unreal domination from Sergio Martinez for 11 straight rounds, JCC Jr. managed to land a left hook that floored Sergio. Sergio being the warrior that he is managed to beat the 10 count, got up, and continued to fight his heart out instead of running away. It was some of the most exciting 3 minutes you'll ever see watching any kind of sport.

Those last 3 minutes saved JCC Jr. from countless months of criticism. Now, he actually warrants a rematch with Sergio. A lot of people seem to be split on that, but me personally, I'd like to see it. There's no other big money fight for Sergio anyway since no other big name will fight him, so a rematch with JCC Jr. would only be good for his career. And honestly, JCC Jr. came in with a horrible gameplan and a lot of him getting dominated had to do with him not being anywhere near aggressive as he needed to be. I'm not one of those ******s who will say that Sergio had nothing to do with JCC Jr. not throwing more punches (in fact, I think Sergio's beautiful right jab he constantly threw throughout the fight hurt JCC more than Chavez ever expected it to and that's why he looked to be so apprehensive in there), but I think in a rematch, Chavez will now know what to expect and will look to be more aggressive and give Sergio a much better fight. Will he win? Not sure about that, but I sincerely doubt Chavez will go into the 12th Round being down 11-0.

Anyways, regardless if there's a rematch or not, last night was still a joy to watch. Sergio's skill is off the charts, and JCC showed to have the same heart and toughness as his father to nearly pull off the hail mary in the 12th after getting his ass handed to him for 33 minutes before that. Both guys deserve all the respect in the World.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back