Johnny Rodz: Worthy or Not?

Does Johnny Rodz belong IN the Hall of Fame?

• Yes. Jobbers are people too.

• No. Neither does Al Snow.

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
513811326.jpg

Johnny Rodriguez (born May 16, 1938) is a retired American professional wrestler. He has previously worked as a professional wrestler under the ring name Johnny Rodz.

He was part of the World Wide Wrestling Federation (WWWF) from its early years, appearing on WWWF cards as far back as 1965. He wrestled Bob Backlund in Madison Square Garden while working for the WWWF at the time. For much of the next two decades through mid-1985, Rodz was a mainstay of the federation, though largely used as a jobber. In 1980's Showdown at Shea, he was defeated by Ivan Putski.

In 1996, Rodz was inducted into the WWF Hall of Fame by Arnold Skaaland. He is a Hall of Famer because of the longevity of his career and his loyalty to the WWF/WWE, but most importantly because of his ability to enhance the wrestling talent that he faced in the ring. He was given the role of a jobber, but nobody performed that role with more success and respect than Johnny Rodz. He was not a typical jobber, but a jobber that often gave his star-opponents a run for their money. He was also one of the very few jobbers of his time to possess an in-ring nickname, "The Unpredictable" Johnny Rodz.

Some would say that his poor win/loss record should have precluded him from the Hall of Fame, but that misses the point of pro-wrestling being an entertainment business. Rodz was not cast as a lead wrestler, but was cast in a permanent supporting role, which he did with great success. Before cable and pay-per-view WWF/WWE wrestling shows, there were few exciting matches on normal TV because the WWF/WWE wanted to compel fans to buy tickets to their live events. As a result, some of the best matches on TV, week after week, involved Johnny Rodz because high profile matches were not broadcast. It is difficult to fully appreciate and understand the impact of Johnny Rodz without having been a wrestling fan in that era.

On the March 1, 2007 episode of Total Nonstop Action Wrestling's Impact showed the Latin American Exchange (LAX) attacking Johnny Rodz as part of their feud with Team 3D. Ten days later at Destination X, he accompanied Team 3D to the ring for their match with LAX.

He also trains wrestlers out of Gleason's Gym in Brooklyn, New York. At his school, named Johnny Rodz' Unpredictable School, many famous wrestlers have been trained. He has trained wrestlers at the school for the past twenty-four years. Because he was a former recruiter for professional wrestling promotions, he uses his connections to help his students get hired by the top promotions. The Wrestler's he's trained are as follows:

Big Vito
Damien Demento
Tommy Dreamer
Big Dick Dudley
Bubba Ray Dudley
Adrian Byrd
D-Von Dudley
Bill DeMott
Elektra
Jason Knight
Matt Striker
Prince Nana
Spanish Angel
Dr. Mongy
Taz(z)
Ricky Vega

His list of accomplishments and Championships (according to Wiki) are as follows:

Cauliflower Alley Club
Other honoree (1995)

Lutte Internationale
Canadian International Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

World Wrestling Council
WWC World Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Super Medico I

World Wrestling Federation
WWF Hall of Fame (Class of 1996)

Johnny Rodz: This guy is proof that Owen Hart will one-day likely make the Hall of Fame, and be a bigger member of it. He's also proof that I would come to believe one day the Brooklyn Brawler will make the Hall of Fame, and that's not a good thing.

Rodz biggest claim to fame is being a world-known jobber. They get awards for that now? Rodz, while jobbing most of his entire career, was actually said to be inducted because he had a long career with the company. So apparently, as long as you can stick around long enough, accomplishments are just really optional to get you in the Hall of Fame.

The thing is, I don't give a shit if the guy was with the company for damn near 40 years and jobbed much of his entire career. He shouldn't of earned a spot in the Hall of Fame, simply because of his length of time with the company. This induction to me, has single-handedly made the W.W.F/E. Hall of Fame, meaningless. What are your thoughts and opinions on Johnny Rodz being in the Hall of Fame? Worthy or Not?

Fuck no he he shouldnt be. What did he do but manage a few superstars and train some nobody's outstide of Bubba Ray Dudley and DVon Dudley. A jobber the majority of his career. Really Will is right. If Rodz is in, then one day Owen Hart will be too. Pete Rose has done more (sarcasm) to earn a HOF spot then Johnny Rodz has. I say it's time to do some spring cleaning in the HOF soon and get rid of Johnny Rodz.

When arguing the HOF's legitimacy, this is Exhibit A. As both my colleagues have said, what in the hell did he ever do? Not a damn thing. People will say he trained the Dudleyz. Ok, fair enough. The Dudleyz that weren't even in ECW at the time of his induction? Rodz has no business being in any HOF and is in because he was loyal to Vince. If that's the case, why not Vince's limo driver or Linda? They've been around forever and have stuck by him. Rodz is one of the reasons the place is a joke and should be up for eviction.

I can see reasons for putting him into the Hall of Fame. They part about how in professional wrestling, it is not your win-loss record that gets you in, it is what you did for professional wrestling. That being said, what next, the worlds best animal mascot being inducted in? Is Matilda the bulldog destined to be in the Hall of Fame? Sorry Johnny Rodz, you should have you name in the WWE Alumni section, but not in the WWE Hall of Fame.

So basically he is in the HOF because he trained the ECW roster. You see, for his wrestling acheivements he should be barred, but a lot of people will feel that training these guys (of which Tazz is the only credible wrestler) merits inclusion.

However, the company he keeps in Verne Gagne shows him to be greatly inferior as a trainer. He joins Perry and Rose in the pointless wing

The reason why so many people can fight vehemently for guys like owen hart to be in the Hall of Fame. Pair it with guys like Rose and Perry being in the Hall, then the Owen supporters have all the ammo they need to get the guy into the Hall of Fame.

Why was Johnny Rodz a Hall of Famer. If he was so good at enhancing talent and all of that crap, then why didn't he make it beyond jobber status. There's a reason why he was a jobber, because he couldn't make it in the big leagues. Him being in the Hall of Fame would be the equivalant of Val Venis making it. No ones doubting Val was good in the ring, but there's a reason he spent the better part of a decade laying on his back, because he couldn't cut it.

Maybe I just feel a little stronger about the guys that he's trained than everyone else here, but I think contributions to the business matter. I voted yes.

He never made it higher than jobber, because he was a damn good jobber. There's wrestlers today that lose just as many matches, but because of their name, and/or past, they don't get the title of jobber (Kane, MVP, etc.). Between his loyalty to the company, the wrestlers he's trained, and the careers that he's helped, I think it's enough to be in.

He never made it higher than jobber, because he was a damn good jobber.

:lmao: I just want you to repeat this small portion of what you said, over and over until it makes you laugh as much as it just did me.

This is pretty much the equal to someone saying Yokozuna's 2 minute World Heavyweight Championship reign from WrestleMania IX was one of the greatest reigns ever.

"He only held the Championship 2 minutes." "But he was the greatest Champion the company had seen within those 2 minutes." :lmao:

There's wrestlers today that lose just as many matches, but because of their name, and/or past, they don't get the title of jobber (Kane, MVP, etc.).

The reason guy's like M.V.P., Kane and 'etc' don't get the title of jobber is because they've already accomplished something to make their career's rememberable. Not to mention, they've won. :p

The only jobber I'd even remotely give thought to a Hall of Fame spot to, would be the Brooklyn Brawler. And even then, I'd say no.. because he was a fricking jobber. LOL

How hard is it to lay down for a 3 count, or tap to a submission? I can't say it takes rocket-science brain power.

Between his loyalty to the company, the wrestlers he's trained, and the careers that he's helped, I think it's enough to be in.

I'd agree for him to be in as a Wrestling trainer.. but only if anyone he trains ultimately becomes Pro Wrestling famous. Out of his list of trainee's.. the Dudley Boyz are it.

Taz would come in at the top of the single's list, and Tommy Dreamer close behind that.. but ultimately, that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back