John Terry

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
TerryLarge.jpg

Basically put if you're English you'll know the story, if you're British you're likely to know it. If not basically England captain John Terry has been caught having an affair. The call by the media is for him to be removed as captain because he's a role model to kids.

Lets look though at this which I stole from a NUFC website:

Lets take the people we would have as a starting eleven:
David James – ‘England Keeper David James secret dates with Hollyoaks Star’ - (James had a long term girlfriend at the time)

Glen Johnson – ‘Johnson faces panning after toilet seat theft’

John Terry – Take your pick

Rio Ferdinand – ‘England axe Ferdinand after drugs test furore’

Ashley Cole – ‘Ashley cheats on Cheryl’

Steven Gerrard – ‘Steven Gerrard ‘victim’ Marcus McGee shows off scars’

Frank Lampard – ‘Doting Dad Lampard accused of playing away’

Wayne Rooney – ‘Rooney admits sex with a granny’

Jermaine Defoe – ‘Defoe beds mistress with 36DD bra on his head’

Plus Gareth Barry and Aaron Lennon. That's right that leaves the England captaincy to two people who are not captain material! Because of that I say John Terry SHOULD stay England captain.

What say you?

Yeah he should stay England captain. He's the best choice for the job. Does anybody really care that he had an affair with Wayne Bridge's wife? Only critics and has beens who havent even had half the talent Terrys got. It just wouldn't be England if there wasn't a scandel before a major tournament. But lets face it Gerrard assualting somebody is much much worse than Terry sleeping with someone elses misses.

I think he should stay captain. All he had was an affair and it shouldn't affect his game play. I'm sure people have done much worse yet kept a place on the team. I heard they want Gerrard to become captain but wouldn't that be a bit hypocritical of people to get rid of someone because of a scandal then appoint someone who did something much worse to be captain? Plus its only Wayne Bridge. He isn't anything special so I say lets keep him as captain.

Taking out the politics of football, Terry should still be captain because he is a natural born leader outside of Gerrard, who has had a dip in form. Terry is a man who stays level headed on the pitch and has a "Will not die!" attitude when it comes to leading a side, even when losing. You want someone who has been successful in leading the side and under Capello, Terry has done just that. He's kept the team together since being appointed after Beckham, not taken up on star power and will leave things on the pitch the moment the final whistle is blown.

Also, given the World Cup is 6 months away, you want to keep the winning team, a new leader changes the system, also, Wayne Bridge is injured more often or not and is not ahead of Cole on the pecking order. Problem is politics in football dominate more than what goes on the pitch, which is a real shame. Despite the media effects to remove him, you can't deny he's been a great captain to the side.

The thing I had to think about was "is it possible for Terry to captain a team with Bridge in it." At the end of the day their both profesionals on the pitch and on the training ground so yeah, I think Terry should remain captain. I don't think personal issues like this should be allowed to harm the world cup preparation and changing captain just before the world cup could do that. I mean, there wasn't a big deal made about Ashley Cole's England status when he cheated on Cheryl (What a stupid thing to do btw). It shouldn't be any different for Terry just because he's captain. Bridge might not get in the team anyway as he's been injured for ages. Baines or Warnock could get in and that would lessen some of the tension in the England camp.

Sky News sources understand John Terry has been stripped of the England captaincy following allegations over his private life.

Terry's future as skipper of his country has been the subject of intense speculation ever since allegations emerged that he had an affair with England team-mate Wayne Bridge's ex-girlfriend.

The Chelsea star met with England coach Fabio Capello at Wembley on Friday afternoon to discuss his future as captain in the wake of the allegations.

There have been calls for Terry to lose the captaincy from sections of the media as it has been claimed more revelations are set to be exposed.

The Football Association made it clear Capello alone will decide Terry's fate and it appears the Italian has decided to take the armband off the 29-year-old, although there is no official confirmation as yet.

Capello was aware the matter needed to be dealt with prior to his departure for Warsaw on Saturday ahead of Sunday's Euro 2012 draw and reports suggest the meeting only lasted 12 minutes as Capello delivered the bad news to Terry

Terry has received support from Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti with the Italian claiming it was business as usual for the club captain in training ahead of Sunday's clash with Arsenal.

If news of Terry losing the captaincy is confirmed it throws England's plans for the World Cup into disarray with Capello now forced to look for a new captain for this summer's tournament in South Africa.

The likes of Steven Gerrard, Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard and Wayne Rooney have all been mentioned as possible replacements to Terry as captain as Capello considers his options over who should succeed Terry.

I can not believe this has happened, his personnal life has nothing at all to do with his professional life. Terry's leadership skills are second to none and due to ridiculous reporters wanting him stripped due to not being a role model the FA have agreed....its bollocks. Gerrard will get it even though he kicked the fuck out of someone in a nightclub he's the obvious choice, if Rooney gets it I'll be well pissed off. Just what England needed before the World Cup. What do you think?

I was talking to my friend about this and we both agreed John Terry is a good captain, he keeps moral up, since it appears he's been stripped of the captaincy moral will be down and some of the other replacements (Gerrard, Lampard etc) will not be able to get moral back to what it was, this will then affect how they play which will probably result in England losing.

What Terry does in his private life is exactly that private, so long as it's not illegal I don't really care, he's a good player he should keep the captaincy and lead England into the World Cup.

Absolutely the right decision. His position as leader of the team was totally unacceptable and it would cost the FA money in the long term having him as their main poster boy. We went over all this shit with the Tiger Woods thing.

"his personnal life has nothing at all to do with his professional life. "

Of course if did. He was fucking a team-mates girlfriend, it has everything to do with the two crossing over. This is to assume that it's only Wayne Bridge who objects to Terry being the captain. For all we know there could be a few other players who are also taking Bridges side and that causes a major issue. If Ashley Cole gets injured before the world cup, would you really expect Terry to play alongside Bridge and for Bridge to actually take orders from Terry? No fucking way.

For all we know there could be a few other players who are also taking Bridges side and that causes a major issue. If Ashley Cole gets injured before the world cup, would you really expect Terry to play alongside Bridge and for Bridge to actually take orders from Terry? No fucking way.

Well in that case why hasn't he been dropped completely? Bridge shouldn't be anywhere near the england squad anyway but that beside the point, Terry is a fantastic leader and not one person in that team will be as good a captain as Terry was. The other players are professionals if Terry remained captain they wouldn't have a choice but to take orders from him. its the wrong decision this close to a world cup

Well in that case why hasn't he been dropped completely?

Because there's no-one else who isn't useless.

Bridge shouldn't be anywhere near the england squad anyway

Fabio disagrees with you. I'm more inclined to back his opinion over yours.

Terry is a fantastic leader and not one person in that team will be as good a captain as Terry was. The other players are professionals if Terry remained captain they wouldn't have a choice but to take orders from him. its the wrong decision this close to a world cup

Well he's obviously not as good a captain or leader if he's having an affair with a team mates woman, getting her pregnant and then paying her an enormous sum of money to have an abortion. I'd call that kind of unprofessional, wouldn't you? Sacking him is exactly the right thing to do, otherwise this shit just rumbles on for another 6 months into the world cup.
I'm looking over at the poll on the BBC website

Is Fabio Capello right to take the captaincy away from John Terry?

Votes - 44961

Yes - 76%
No - 24%

Common sense prevails. I'd bet most of those 24% are Chelsea fans.

I've got to say I'm pretty shocked about this. I thought that Capello would give him the chance to resign as captain and if Terry didn't want to, then he'd stay as captain. I'm surprised hes been straight up sacked. As to whether it's the right decision, I can't make my mind up. I earlier posted that Terry should remain as captain because everyone associated with the England team is professional enough to get on with their jobs. I still believe that but I also trust Fabio Capello as boss and if he thinks it's the right thing to do, then I'll go along with it for now.

I hope he hasn't been sacked just because it would be awkward with him and Bridge in the same team because, as DJ c2x said earlier, he would have to be dropped completely for that to make any sense. I'd rather have Warnock in the team over Bridge anyway.

I'm watching sky sports news right now and the confirmed news is Rio Ferdinand is the new captain. From a completely biased point of view, I'm happy about that because he's done very well in that role with Man Utd over the past couple of years when Neville and Giggs aren't playing, which has been more often than not.

I'm watching sky sports news right now and the confirmed news is Rio Ferdinand is the new captain. From a completely biased point of view, I'm happy about that because he's done very well in that role with Man Utd over the past couple of years when Neville and Giggs aren't playing, which has been more often than not.

So wait...you remove a guy as England captain because he had an affair. That's fair enough, but if you look on the first page any replacement is hypocritical. Placing Rio in is stupid, this was the guy who is on a four match ban for violent conduct and who was banned for eight months for missing a drugs test. Rio is a shit person to be captain for those reasons.

So wait...you remove a guy as England captain because he had an affair. That's fair enough, but if you look on the first page any replacement is hypocritical. Placing Rio in is stupid, this was the guy who is on a four match ban for violent conduct and who was banned for eight months for missing a drugs test. Rio is a shit person to be captain for those reasons.

qft,i think if you have to take it away from terry which imo you shouldnt.why give it to a man who has had just about as much controversy in his private life as JT.Surely gerrard is a more suitable replacement and has better leadership qualities

I agree that Rio is no saint, but you said yourself that any replacement would be hypocritical. In my mind there are three players capable of being England captain. Terry, Rio and Gerrard, all of whom have had strikes against their names. Like I said in my original post, I would have kept Terry as captain because personal issues shouldn't mix with business. Why Fabio overlooks Rio's controversies and not Terrys is something I can't answer. However, since Terry isn't captain anymore, I'm glad it's gone to one of the other two I trust as captain.

Because there's no-one else who isn't useless

Gary Cahill, Michael Turner, Matthew Upson and Ryan Shawcross spring to mind, all fantastic defenders. If there is one thing that England isn't lacking its Centre backs.

Fabio disagrees with you. I'm more inclined to back his opinion over yours.

Fabio has just made Rio Ferdinand captain..... the man has had more controversy in his career than probably most England players combined. Of course Rio would be a better role model. :rolleyes:

Well he's obviously not as good a captain or leader if he's having an affair with a team mates woman, getting her pregnant and then paying her an enormous sum of money to have an abortion. I'd call that kind of unprofessional, wouldn't you? Sacking him is exactly the right thing to do, otherwise this shit just rumbles on for another 6 months into the world cup.

Dont see what this has to do with him being England captain. Its his personal life, which we shouldn't give a shit about, all we should care about is his ability to lead the team on the field which there is probably nobody better for in England. What has happened has had nothing to do with his ability to lead England.

I think Lee summed it up best which his original post, most England players have had controversy in their careers and all these players have been considered in the last few hours as the replacement captain....isn't that hypocritical.

I'm looking over at the poll on the BBC website

Is Fabio Capello right to take the captaincy away from John Terry?

Votes - 44961

Yes - 76%
No - 24%

Common sense prevails. I'd bet most of those 24% are Chelsea fans.

and you could bet most of the 76% are fans of teams who dont like Chelsea. Means nothing. Most people have been sucked in by the media hype. Would the FA have done anything had the media not got involved???

Gary Cahill, Michael Turner, Matthew Upson and Ryan Shawcross spring to mind, all fantastic defenders. If there is one thing that England isn't lacking its Centre backs.

Hahahahaha those are the players you're going to use to argue we've got strength? We'd be fucked with those in defence, they're no way near international standard.

Fabio has just made Rio Ferdinand captain..... the man has had more controversy in his career than probably most England players combined. Of course Rio would be a better role model. :rolleyes:

This I'll give you. Rio is a twat and way past his best. I'm hoping his injury problems catch up with him an he doesn't go to the world cup.

Dont see what this has to do with him being England captain. Its his personal life, which we shouldn't give a shit about, all we should care about is his ability to lead the team on the field which there is probably nobody better for in England. What has happened has had nothing to do with his ability to lead England.

It has EVERYTHING to do with his ability to lead as his personal life has crossed over into his professional life. He has totally undermined his own authority. How you can't see this is beyond me.

I think Lee summed it up best which his original post, most England players have had controversy in their careers and all these players have been considered in the last few hours as the replacement captain....isn't that hypocritical.

Yeah but most of their problems haven't involved fucking over a team mate. That's the difference.

and you could bet most of the 76% are fans of teams who dont like Chelsea. Means nothing. Most people have been sucked in by the media hype. Would the FA have done anything had the media not got involved???

I actually like Chelsea but I still say fuck John Terry. He has to be punished.
It's irrelevant whether the media got involved. It's happened and even if it hadn't, there would still be an issue between the players taking sides.

If Terry had just shagged someone who wasn't his missus, it shouldn't have any bearing on the team at all. Role models my arse, Ferdinand ran away from a drugs test and everyone else has been in all sorts of hijinx. However, with Ashley Cole injured, and too busy showing off his special tent, there's a reasonably good chance that Wayne Bridge will be in the England team. I don't think that it is productive to have the leader be someone who has betrayed one of his team mates. That being said, the captain doesn't really do anything unless they are a Gerrard style Roy of the Rovers performer. If you want someone with a clean nose to do it, give it to Gaz Baz, who is obviously a bit more intelligent and trousershy than your average footballer, otherwise it's pretty hypocritical. I don't care, at the end of the day. My national side captain gives millions to Africa, after all.

Im inclined to majorly disagree about his leadership skills for a few reasons.
1)His fellow pros do not respect him as a man now, he majorly violated their trust with his actions with Wayne Bridge. A lot of people seem to be of the opinion that he is an arrogant prick.
2)If you look at the team he achieved success with (Chelsea), it was not down to his leadership, it was down to Abramovich bankrolling it. It would not have made a difference who was captain. What he has done as England captain is nothing, world cup qualification is expected, its the minimum requirement, before getting out of the group stage at the finals.
3) Any action/inaction of his would be majorly scrutinised by the media and turn it into a circus that is detrimental to the teams success re:2006 WAGS

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back