• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

John Laurinaitis, Character issues

SacredMesa

Pre-Show Stalwart
This really isn't about John himself but about the character he is doing. I don't know about everyone else but I simply can't buy this guy is a legit power hungry threat like I could guys like VKM and Easy E when they both did the evil boss/GM gimiks. My problems with it comes from two things that tie into one fact...

1--Triple H is his boss

2--The board of directors can easily over rule him

These both leads to an issue of he really just isn't a dominate villian who can do whatever he wants. He has to answer to someone else for what he does. This breaks any immersion I could get into the character when I remember these two things. Triple H said in a earlier promo before taker came back that he could take the position anytime he wanted it, and now the board of directors is limiting him against Cena and putting his job up for grabs. It makes everything he does as an "evil" GM feel bogus and a waste of time because of Triple H and the board sitting over him. Let's be realistics about when the evil boss story has worked in the past.

Vince vs Stone Cold, this worked for obvious reasons. At the time Vince ran everything he was the boss and answered to no one. Even when his family got involved it was maintained that they had equal power not that one answered to the other. This make Vince a legit threat and someone you wanted to hate because he was a some what realistic evil boss who could do whatever he wanted and answer to no one.

Easy E in the NWO and as GM for RAW. In the NWO case Eric pretty much controlled everything at the time and everyone knew it. People knew him as the head of WCW and when he joined the NWO it created an "oh crap" kinda moment when people realized they had him over the WCW guys. On RAW yeah he answered to Vince but Vince as his boss was used sparingly, without interrupting much of what he did. The only times he really got competition was when Austin was Co-GM and the "sheriff" as well as a select few times from Vince or a McMahon family member. This was used sparingly though which created a feel that he had control and his word was law. He also had Evolution backing him, and he backing them, making him not only feel like a legit threat for his position but the faction backing him in the ring.

John Laurinaitis really doesn't have either of these. He's constantly threated by the board of directors and/or Triple H, his only consistent in ring backing has come from David Otunga and now Lord Tensai and it just stinks of bad character writing. They really need to fix this to make him seem like the real threat. He needs the Board of Directors and Triple H off his back in order to really seem like a legit threat that just isn't going to get his authority countered by the "higher ups" at every turn. While I'm not sure how they would do this the constant presense of Triple H and the board is really making it difficult for him to get taken seriouslly in his current state.

I think the Lesnar return has a lot to do with it.

HHH is on the same level as Brock whereas JL is below. Call it HHH is the Main Event and JL is the mid card.

Lesnar return threw planned storylines out the window. It's only a matter of time before HHH takes full control again.

He needs the Board of Directors and Triple H off his back in order to really seem like a legit threat that just isn't going to get his authority countered by the "higher ups" at every turn.

I can see what you're saying, but having JL's situation going this way is pretty much the point of what the company wants of this character's role. Laurinaitis isn't your typical pushy "wrestler who becomes an executive." He's the meek, mild little guy (in personality, not body size) who has been thrust to a position of authority through happenstance. He's reticent at first, then starts to find out he likes what's happened to him. Then, typical of the adage that "absolute power corrupts absolutely," he becomes a tin god, tossing out edicts that satisfy his own preferences while ignoring principles of good management.

Finally, he inserts himself into a main event match. Given the way things have gone, it was inevitable, no? I'm not even sure he intends to set up gimmicks that turn the contest to his advantage; at this point, he's so taken with himself he might believe (kayfabe) he can beat John Cena in a fair fight. Either way, that this match is happening at all is a manifestation of his growing ego; the beggar who would be king.

When JL first took over, I couldn't understand why the company would want such a laid-back character in this prominent a position. As things have proceeded, though, it's become apparent. The guy is doing a great job with a difficult assignment......it's as if one of us were suddenly tossed into WWE and made the General Manager. What would we do if we found ourselves in that position? You're now seeing it in the person of John Laurinaitis.

Naturally, this isn't a permanent role. Eventually, he's going to push too hard and have his authority sapped by the Board of Directors, leaving him open to whatever fate they have in mind for the character at the hands of another performer.

Those of you who "hate" the role Laurinaitis is playing might be missing the point; this is a program you never get to see in pro wrestling ("the meek inherit the earth") and if you look really deep, you can see the great script writing behind it.

I think the character John is playing is working because I find myself hating him for the things he does. I don't care about his berating the fans but his treatment of the face talent is spot on. You WANT to see him get his ass kicked. You WANT HHH to over rule him and for the Board of Directors to reverse his calls, etc. The trick is going to be how WWE keeps him "beating" HHH and the Board. He's like Wyle E. Coyote...super genius! This is shaping up to be an Austin vs Vince type of story. I like it!

Ive hated Laurinaitis since the very start . He came and goofed up ALL of his segments , he had NO mic quality and he was trying way too hard to remember all his lines. I alos thought and hoped that he would be taken out of the wwe but nope he is still there.

Hes charcter is like Micheal Coles....its trying too hard to be a heel. He is no longer heel worthy , just annoying.

To this day i still believe he had something over the wwe for them to keep him in , either that or he saved an important persons life ^^

Ive hated Laurinaitis since the very start . He came and goofed up ALL of his segments , he had NO mic quality and he was trying way too hard to remember all his lines. I alos thought and hoped that he would be taken out of the wwe but nope he is still there.

THANK YOU! The real character issue with JL is that he isn't one!! He's too uncomfortable in front of the audience to consistently portray a character. I'm annoyed by the people who keep saying that if we hate him because of these things that we "don't get it" The deer-in-the-headlights look on his face, the ridiculous amount of fumbled lines, and the wooden/robotic stiffness in his stature when he's focusing way to hard on staying in place in front of the camera, is not acting. It's John Laurinaitis fighting through lifetime's worth of stage fright.

I wish some of the people on these forums would stop praising it for what they want to believe it is. It's like the simplistic phrase that my hero, Judge Judy, often says, "If it doesn't make sense, it's not true."

Those of you who "hate" the role Laurinaitis is playing might be missing the point; this is a program you never get to see in pro wrestling ("the meek inherit the earth") and if you look really deep, you can see the great script writing behind it.

Ummm and what point might that be??? That he makes me turn the tv off everytime he walks his happy ass onto the screen? Cuz thats what he makes me do. Perry Saturn having a match with Moppy the mop stick has more talent and was more must see to me than ol' Johnny could ever hope to be. He's just still pissed that he got saddled with the Dude's With Attitudes skateboard gimmick back in the 80's cuz he knows he could never have reached the level of popularity his brother got.

The only time I've liked JL's character is when he was acting as VKM's right hand man. I see what the WWE is trying to do as far as making another hated GM (Vince,Bishoff,etc.)but when you have Trips or the BOD overuling his every move,it just seems silly. If John L. wins at OTL then we'll have to suffer through more heel-friendly Raws.

THANK YOU! The real character issue with JL is that he isn't one!! He's too uncomfortable in front of the audience to consistently portray a character. I'm annoyed by the people who keep saying that if we hate him because of these things that we "don't get it" The deer-in-the-headlights look on his face, the ridiculous amount of fumbled lines, and the wooden/robotic stiffness in his stature when he's focusing way to hard on staying in place in front of the camera, is not acting. It's John Laurinaitis fighting through lifetime's worth of stage fright.

I wish some of the people on these forums would stop praising it for what they want to believe it is. It's like the simplistic phrase that my hero, Judge Judy, often says, "If it doesn't make sense, it's not true."

While I agree I wasn't wanting this topic to be about JL's lack of ability to perform, I wanted it to be about the issues I have with how his character is being written and used.

The character is clearly "believable" as a threat judging by the reactions he gets. The problem with it is the overexposure, the fact that he takes up way too much TV time every week while a lot of young, talented wrestlers are suffering because of it. When was the last time Miz or Ziggler did something relevant? Oh, but Johnny Ace was on TV for at least 40 minutes this past Monday and fifteen more this past Friday.

Also, making him a full, corrupt, evil, "I'll fire you while you cry and smile about it" heel was the wrong move. He was much better in the role of a guy who favored the heels a bit, but overall, was just very bad at doing his job. It's gotten unbearable since WrestleMania and I sincerely hope WWE does the right thing and pulls the plug on the whole gimmick come tonight.

I don't think they will, though, and we'll likely have to suffer through this even more in the months to come.

While I agree I wasn't wanting this topic to be about JL's lack of ability to perform, I wanted it to be about the issues I have with how his character is being written and used.

Ok then, for the direction of his character now, he needs to be future endeavoured. If your whole goal is to get ratings and the guy you want being the dumbass heel makes people turn the tv off or change the channel, then its time to say "Ya know, maybe we're not as good at writing this shit as people may think."

Johnny Ace is another prime example of someone the WWE keeps employed while getting rid of higher calibur talents for no good reasons. Honestly, I fast forward through all of JL's segments and watch the important quality stuff over anything he's involved in. The only exception to that is when JL is in-ring with Lesnar or HHH. Other than that, it's DVR trumping people power[whatever the hell that means]. I'd honestly rather see about anyone else as RAW & SD GM than that untalented, uncharismatic, unwanted piece of crap taking up television time that someone talented or entertaining should be getting instead.

the problem im haveing is the corupt power hungry gm is getting old, its been dug into the ground, its been done over and over, yes it worked with vince and stone cold and vince and dx and eric with nwo and evolution. but then you had angle, paul heyman, steve regal, the computer and every night the same thing, what they need to is come up with a new angle, its what killed wcw in the end and its doing the same to wwe, one thing i liked about teddy, he didnt show favoritism, when mark henry lost the belt do daniel bryan, teddy said he wasnt clear to wreslte and gave danile his money in the bank back and mark henry is title, he gave drew macintyer chance after chance, bring someone like teddy, but wont back down when bullied maybe stonecold, roddy piper or even edge

As we saw at over the limit Johnny is building a group ( Guys like reks,hawkins,Big Show) I would like him to have an absolute dominate stable filled with a huge portion of the roster. Make it so that no one can ever talk badly about Johnny without being attacked.

For example everytime Punk makes fun of his voice, the Big show, The miz,ziggler,swagger,rhodes del rio ( i could go on) come out an attack him to show Johnny's strength and power.

Considering Johnny is at best the 3rd most talented member of his family behind Animal and James Laurinaitis (of the Rams).

He's the Miz in a suit only bonus is we don't see him in the ring as much. When things are on script and going right he seems fine but one slip up and he goes to hell. Eve is better on the Mic and think she will be getting more Mic time if Johnny keeps screwing the pooch.

As far as lack of power, if they want him to seem legit then he needs to challange HHH and make a match between HHH/Lesner where if HHH loses lesner not only gets his job back but Johnny is in full control and can not be overruled. Let him be in control till the computer returns and kicks his ass.

You're riht, he can't be taken seriouslly as a villian. In my mind there are three levels of heel:

-Putz (putz level varies between funny and pathetic)
-Respectable (depending on career and character status)
-Scary (depending on personality)

Riht now, none of the "People Power Pack" are respectable, and only Tensai has the grounds of becoming scary. The rest are putzes.

Eve- Seems to me they're trying to sell her as the new Lita, just with a Stephanie McMahon twist added onto it. But h boy are they doing crappy. NO ONE takes this chick seriously, and one must wnder if her character is a natural blonde to not even comprehend that if she wants to get the people's attention she'll possibly have to become the new Vickie Guerrero

Otunga- Give him credit, he does have some sick in-ring skills. But the cheesey makes-you-wanna-slap-his-goatee-off lawyer bit has gone on too long. NO ONE respects this guy anymore. What happened to the guy who set up a cu against Wade Barrett, threatening to take over Nexus itself? Traded in dignity for bow ties and Starbucks.

Tensai- Big, tattooed, and has a "Virgil" if you will. But he is a little scary with his attitude. Too bad his voice sucks

And that's Johnny's team of peeps. Not to mention, every time he should LOSE, he WINS. There's a problem with this picture that needs to be solved, or just get rid of all of 'em and finally start up a High-fluing division for Chrissake, THAT would be better than this crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back