• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

John Cena knee injury

The Tay

Dark Match Jobber
After being jumped by Dolph Ziggler during Monday’s episode of Raw, WWE superstar John Cena chased after the Money in the Bank winner and appeared to hurt his leg in the process.

I for one think that the fact that they showed him getting it wrapped up in the back is just more proof that this is all a work.However, PWInsider reported this morning (via Wrestling Inc.) that Cena is legitimately injured.

WWE.com reported Monday night that Cena could have a torn meniscus in his injured knee, and today’s scheduled MRI was performed on the WWE star.

Whatever the truth is behind Cena’s reported injury, the fact that it has stirred up this much controversy is great news for the WWE. The company is a business first and foremost, and when people are talking about the WWE, there are better ratings for the programming.

Real or fake? Thoughts?

I think that John Cena perhaps did tweak his knee slightly on RAW last week, but not nearly to the degree that the kayfabe reporting of it would indicate. With nothing really happening with him of significance in terms of in ring action, I guess they decided to err on the side of caution and limit his action so that his legit minor injury doesn't escalate into something more significant. This probably explains this horrendous AJ affair debacle, keeping him on screen but out of the ring. As well, it likely evolves into a feud with Dolph Ziggler whereby Ziggler can defeat Cena by exploiting his "injured knee". Ziggler gains some legitimacy by beating Cena. Cena doesn't look bad in the process due to his injury. And WWE can have more confidence that Cena will be 100% healthy heading into the Road To Wrestlemania.

Basically a kayfabe injury, but possibly with a shred of legitimacy.

Basically a kayfabe injury, but possibly with a shred of legitimacy.

I see what you did there.

Kayfabe. Sure, it was either legit, or Cena did a fantastic job of selling the tweak. However, if it was legit, I cannot imagine that WWE would have a plan in place that quickly to move forward with it on a storyline basis.

But none of us really have any idea, so we might as well just see how it unfolds.

I think it's both part kayfable part real. Remember, under Cena's contract with the WWE he is required to appear in 350 live events. Now Cena has been wrestling for a decade now, and after giving The Big Show AA's for 10 straight years his knees are bound to get injured....... <- okay that was stupid. But seriously, Cena's 35 and not getting any younger. Personally I believe this "injured knee" of Cena is just an angle between himself and Dolph Ziggler. I may be wrong, and I have been wrong many, many times before but just 2.5 months ago, Cena suffered a pretty severe injury to his elbow and it wouldn't seem to me as if Cena is injured again. But like I said i believe it's part of the whole Cena-AJ/Ziggler-Vickie Storyline.

i think he really did twist his knee but nothing more he did land badly but i think it was no more than that he probably could have just walked it off they have probably made it sound worse to add to the story line but over all it do think it kayface

I think that Cena may have tweaked his knee a little but I think they decided to possibly exaggerate the injury and so some on the spot changes to the show and the angle due to Cena slight injury.

As we saw on SD! this past Friday, Cena seems to be getting around well on it. He was walking with a bit of a limp but he was clearly able to put weight on his leg. I'm not well versed in knee injuries, and I may be wrong here, but I would think an injury in which you tore something, even only slightly, would mean that your doctors would want you to put as little weight on it as possible.

At the same time though, Cena did such a great job of selling the injury that I don't think anybody can be certain. We all saw the odd angle his leg went as he stepped out of the ring last Monday to pursue Dolph Ziggler, so that's a big factor in the legitimacy of his injury. The fact that WWE showed Cena getting his knee wrapped backstage makes you think it's a work because you don't expect something that's legit to be shown on television. But, that doesn't necessarily mean that it wasn't legit.

I'm leaning that it's more of a work than a serious injury. I could see Cena maybe spraining his knee or something during his misstep. I'd imagine a tearing of the meniscus would result in him being on the shelf for a little while. Cody Rhodes suffered a concussion, a separated shoulder & a slightly torn trap all in one match and we haven't seen him since. I think WWE will ultimately use this angle so as to give John Cena an out for losing a probable match against Dolph Ziggler at the TLC ppv.

It's a measure of WWE's success in merging fantasy with reality that we speak of these things at all. How many times have we discussed the "Is it real?" aspects of injuries (Cena), real-life attitudes as they impact on the televised product (Kevin Nash) and musings as to how much power a performer really holds as opposed to his on-air character? (Punk).

In the Cena case, I agree with those who believe he might have suffered a not-too-serious injury that the company expertly (and immediately) wove into the continuing storyline. Many times, we wonder how a performer can go if he's really hurt, forgetting that he can work; it's just a question of how much it will hurt him to do so.

When Beth Phoenix tore her ACL, the company wanted her to wrestle one more match before taking time off to heal. Rather than sloughing through an easy fight to prevent further injury, they had her wrestle a handicap match, during which she lifted two opponents on her back to deliver a double splash (or whatever the hell it's called). Plainly, it was felt that Beth was hurt but couldn't damage herself further by engaging in one more match. Presumably, if Beth Phoenix could do it, so can John Cena.

But Cena might be hurt badly, hurt just a little.....or not hurt at all. In WWE, we never know for sure and that's one of the things that's great about it. Entwining reality with storylines always makes for a better product.

It seemed fake just by looking at how fast he recovered, had they not pointed out when it happened you could have missed it. Do think he twisted it but not torn.

That said Cena should take a week or 2 to recover just in case he has any other nagging injuries, wonder if he'll compete at TLC this year.

Cena could be hurt bad,semi-hurt or not hurt at all. IMO i think hes hurt a little he looked like he legitimately tweaked his knee a little bit running after ziggler. Now rumors are that backstage segment was taped ahead of time with Cenas Left knee already wrapped.

It seems to me that WWE must be psychic hahahaha knowing that cena was gonna hurt the same knee that was planned in a segment. I think Cena just tweaked his knee a little bit,no torn MCL IMHO and the WWE will play this part of the so-called injury heading into the TLC match.

I really think hes hurt a little the way his leg just kind of buckled when he ran out the ring. Its gonna be interesting to see how Cena and the E plays this out

Cena rolled his ankle. Not his knee. It is CLEARLY visible that his ankle is the part of the leg that buckled. Not his knee.

Yes yes yes...he "could've" tweaked his knee when he rolled his ankle, but he didn't otherwise he would have gone down to the ground. And with Ziggler attacking him in the lockerroom...he was kicking that knee. If it was a real injury there is NO WAY in hell that injury would be further expounded on. Maybe they didn't know it was really hurt? Please. Not a chance. So throw that hypothesis in the trash.

He tweaked his ankle and visibly hobbled off the set. It could not be ignored (live TV) so the WWE scrambled quickly to make it a part of the story line.

John Cena's knee? It's fine. His ankle? It's fine. It's a last minute addition to the script and, for once, a last minute addition works.

You all got worked. Hard.

Pretty much any wrestler is wrestling banged up in some way, shape or form. It's part of the business. If this injury is fake, you can be sure he's hurting for real somewhere else.

As we saw on SD! this past Friday, Cena seems to be getting around well on it. He was walking with a bit of a limp but he was clearly able to put weight on his leg. I'm not well versed in knee injuries, and I may be wrong here, but I would think an injury in which you tore something, even only slightly, would mean that your doctors would want you to put as little weight on it as possible.

That's something that I can back you up on. I partially tore my Lcl and pulled my Pcl my Junior year wrestling. I can't say anything for the meniscus, but I know for a fact that he would not be walking if he had a legit tear in either the Lcl and Pcl.

In school I was squatting close to 500 pounds, so I could say maybe I could run an AA on an avg. sized WWE wrestler. I'm not going to do that, but I know for a fact I won my match after tearing it, but the next day I was not moving, and didn't move out of my front room for two days after it. At that point I had to call my wrestling coach and he and another coach came and took me to the hospital.

I had tests ran on it, and I was in a knee brace for 2 weeks on crutches. I wasn't alowed to wrestle for two weeks after that. Basically killing my seasion. I didn't tear it in half, thank god. That would have required me going under the knife.

But this "tweak" seems just that. It looked like he might of pulled something, but he wouldn't of been walking on Smackdown with a legit tear, or even a partial tear. Looks like a quick changed to plans, and nothing more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back