Jobbing on Impact before a PPV a good thing or bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MR.SCOTT

I was warching tna impact this week (thought i would give it another try due to the fact that i hoped the product would get better, i saw the amazing job ODB did with awesome Kong and started loving TNA again then one major screw up happened yes you guessed it the main event where Judas Misias did the J.O.B to Cage

So what im wondering is was masias jobbing a good thing or a bad thing?

IMO it was a bad thing, they totally killed his credibility going into his match with abyss, he had a strong build and he was moving closer to being an unstoppable heel, so why job the guy the impact before the ppv?, If they really had to feed him to cage why not end the match in a DQ instead make Masias look strong and still give cage the win.

I don't think you understand what jobbing is. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding, a job is used in order to get someone over at the expense of the jobber. A burial is used to make someone lose any credibility with the fans, and is usually used as a punishment. They made Mesias look strong in the match, but they couldn't have him win because Cage is the number one contender to the TNA Heavyweight Championship. If Mesias had won, wouldn't he have moved into the main event spot? I agree, they should've fed Sonjay Dutt or Curry Man to him, but Mesias didn't lose any credibility leaving the match with a loss. I don't think anyone really cared whether he won or lost, the main goal I think is to make people want to watch Mesias get destroyed by Abyss in the Barbed Wire Massacre, and I think yesterday did a fairly good job of that. No pun intended.

I don't think it was jobbing.
A second tier upper card guy lost to the challenger in the main event due to a distraction from his opponent at the ppv. I don't think this constituting jobbing, yes its a lost but to me jobbing is just being thrown in there to lose clean whle here there was clearly a distraction setting up all the matches for the ppv with the after match incident also

I totally agree with you, having him job before the PPV would be horrible if he actually had a chance of winning, as we know he does not. **SPOILER ALERT** if you already read the article about the taped event trying to be pulled off live, he already lost, so really? we all knew it was gonna be a shitty job to abyss all becuz of james mitchell, the storyline is going nowhere but down, but they dont seem to get it. Now Ricky Banderas has a HUGE future, if he would tone down the gimmick, start to talk his spanglish, and went back to kicking ass, I was a huge fan of him from mexico, WSX and various other promotions, and was thrilled to see him sign with TNA, but then they saddled him with this judas thing.. i think he could of stood on his own name, and own two feet with his old outfit, and everything would have been fine, he has a huge following, and the ability to make fans as soon as he has the exposure. But, he will job to Abyss, and play bitch to Father Mitchell for quite a while longer, if Russo has anything to say about it.

The match itself was abit random. The two are in top-card matches, so either of them losing makes them lose alittle momentum going into the ppv. I thought the finish was ok due to the fact that they still build up for there matches, but it would've been abit better if they had Abyss and CC v. Kurt and Judis.

Using your logic, nobody who is going to wrestle on a PPV should ever wrestle anyone else who is going to wrestle on the PPV, since someone will have to do the job (defined as a loss) unless you have a double DQ or other non-finish. And as pointed out, it wasn't exactly a clean job, and at least it shows that the Abyss sideshow division is not the priority of TNA.

Using your logic, nobody who is going to wrestle on a PPV should ever wrestle anyone else who is going to wrestle on the PPV, since someone will have to do the job (defined as a loss) unless you have a double DQ or other non-finish. And as pointed out, it wasn't exactly a clean job, and at least it shows that the Abyss sideshow division is not the priority of TNA.

Okay, first what exactly is the "Abyss Sideshow Division?" Are you refering to a more defined group of hardcore and extreme wrestling matches? Otherwise known as a possible "hardcore division?" I think your views on matches like this are somewhat naive and you merely don't wish to think anything other than pure wrestling should take place.

If thats true, you're also likely the same type of individual who believes that anything regarding a gimmick is utterly useless. Such as Tables, Ladders, etc. If this is remotely anything true with how you feel.. then I think as a whole, you need to quit watching Professional Wrestling on television, and stick to college wrestling.. because asking the scripted version to not hold any type of gimmick match, is like asking the N.F.L. to take away a points system of scoring. Its simply not going to happen, it has reason, it has purpose.

Now.. as far as the ON TOPIC part of this post goes.

I don't agree. If you actually paid attention to the match, as others have mentioned it wasn't exactly a "clean" loss. And even if it was, how does that hurt him? The guy is just another talent. Wrestlers win and lose all the time. I think it'd be stupid to build up two guys as completely undefeated going into their battle. Especially when it'd be so much more entertaining to see each wrestler trying to one-up the other, by costing his opponent their respective match.

EDIT: A perfect example of this, would be Randy Orton being "owned" on a weekly basis leading up to the Royal Rumble. It "hurt" Orton, but clearly hasn't tarnished his Championship run in any way, otherwise he wouldn't still be the Champion.

Okay, first what exactly is the "Abyss Sideshow Division?" Are you refering to a more defined group of hardcore and extreme wrestling matches? Otherwise known as a possible "hardcore division?" I think your views on matches like this are somewhat naive and you merely don't wish to think anything other than pure wrestling should take place.

If thats true, you're also likely the same type of individual who believes that anything regarding a gimmick is utterly useless. Such as Tables, Ladders, etc. If this is remotely anything true with how you feel.. then I think as a whole, you need to quit watching Professional Wrestling on television, and stick to college wrestling.. because asking the scripted version to not hold any type of gimmick match, is like asking the N.F.L. to take away a points system of scoring. Its simply not going to happen, it has reason, it has purpose.

Now.. as far as the ON TOPIC part of this post goes.

I don't agree. If you actually paid attention to the match, as others have mentioned it wasn't exactly a "clean" loss. And even if it was, how does that hurt him? The guy is just another talent. Wrestlers win and lose all the time. I think it'd be stupid to build up two guys as completely undefeated going into their battle. Especially when it'd be so much more entertaining to see each wrestler trying to one-up the other, by costing his opponent their respective match.

EDIT: A perfect example of this, would be Randy Orton being "owned" on a weekly basis leading up to the Royal Rumble. It "hurt" Orton, but clearly hasn't tarnished his Championship run in any way, otherwise he wouldn't still be the Champion.

Ok first off i watched the match and it was bad, firstly there was no storyline involved why put cage and misias in that predicament, becuase a clean loss by either would make either of them lose credibility (if that makes sense), if misias lost via dq it would of still made him look strong, i disagree without any build misias facing cage beacause both of these guys are in main event matches going into the ppv IMO.

And in regards to your example Ortan vs hardy was tag matches and brawls leading up to the event, so in no way is that the best example in regards to this tna nightmare that they call a show, they didnt think about it, they could of even done christian vs aj, because a singles loss by styles wouldnt of mattered going into the tag match with tomko simple as.

I dont know what TNA was really doing with this one, I woudlnt have put Cage against Mesias. I dont think Mesias jobbed really because to me jobbing is a clean win and bascially a squash match the kinda match Glen Gillberti find himself in most of the time. But anyways I dont think Mesias lost credit because of the Abyss run in, but was random and dont think it made Cage look that strong, should had him face someone like...James Storm or Robert Roode. But hey!

Ok first off i watched the match and it was bad, firstly there was no storyline involved why put cage and misias in that predicament, becuase a clean loss by either would make either of them lose credibility (if that makes sense), if mesias lost via dq it would of still made him look strong, i disagree without any build misias facing cage beacause both of these guys are in main event matches going into the ppv IMO.

And in regards to your example Ortan vs hardy was tag matches and brawls leading up to the event, so in no way is that the best example in regards to this tna nightmare that they call a show, they didnt think about it, they could of even done christian vs aj, because a singles loss by styles wouldnt of mattered going into the tag match with tomko simple as.

Why was it a bad match?! So far your reasoning is that there "was no storyline". It was a good match I thought nothing speical but it was solid and there were a few good spots and it ran smooth and fluent.

Mesias is going into a main event match?! Now cmmon I know TNA aint great at the moment but its obvious that Abyss vs Mesias is no where near the main event. No-one cares about this storyline anymoreit got old about a year ago, on top of that the amount of air time given to enhansing the feud was a 2min trailer and a minute long run in by Abyss, so 3 minutes. There is no title for stake in the match, and its a gimmick match, which means it has almost no credibility to it anyway. It will just be a glorfied hardcore match and Mesias doesn't need momentum if he's going to win at the ppv which I think he probably will. Even if he doesnt Mesias is nowhere near the mainevent, I don't know where you get this idea from?!

Cage needed the win because he needs creditbility as the challenger and momentum going into his mainevent match with angle for the title. There might of been better choices, but Roode, and even Storm are currently in pushes and are ahead of Mesias in my opinion, as Mesias is still relatively new to TNA. Besides I thought that both Cage and Mesias were given a equal amount of offense so it kind of put Mesias over anyway because it showed he could hang with the number 1 contender. Cage didnt even get a totaly clean win anyway but at the same time wasn't made to look weak like some are suggesting.

There is a lot wrong with TNA at the moment but there was nothing wrong with this match, end of.

The Abyss sideshow division is basically all the matches that are part of the Abyss-Mitchell feud.

If you were paying attention, I was pointing out that the logical conclusion of the original poster in this thread would be that wrestlers with PPV matches shouldn't wrestle other wrestlers on the PPV in a match with an actual finish. Which is a pretty ludicrous and unworkable booking philosophy. I actually like some wrestlers occasionally doing clean jobs before a big match. Bret Hart was someone who seemed to use the formula of losing a match to cast doubt upon his ability to prevail in a PPV match.

Also, I did note in my post that it was not a clean loss. I'm not sure if you were too blinded by rage at a perceived slight against "hardcore" wrestling that you lost reading comprehension.

I totally agree with you, having him job before the PPV would be horrible if he actually had a chance of winning, as we know he does not. **SPOILER ALERT** if you already read the article about the taped event trying to be pulled off live, he already lost, so really? we all knew it was gonna be a shitty job to abyss all becuz of james mitchell, the storyline is going nowhere but down, but they dont seem to get it. Now Ricky Banderas has a HUGE future, if he would tone down the gimmick, start to talk his spanglish, and went back to kicking ass, I was a huge fan of him from mexico, WSX and various other promotions, and was thrilled to see him sign with TNA, but then they saddled him with this judas thing.. i think he could of stood on his own name, and own two feet with his old outfit, and everything would have been fine, he has a huge following, and the ability to make fans as soon as he has the exposure. But, he will job to Abyss, and play bitch to Father Mitchell for quite a while longer, if Russo has anything to say about it.

I couldn't agree with you more. I happen to think though that it (Mesias vs. Cage) was the best match that I have seen Mesias in since he started in TNA. I just hope they can do something decent with him but I have my doubts. Well at least he still with AAA and hopefully won't leave there anytime soon.

I would've liked to see a roll-up pin my christian cage, then judas jump him or something so he would be more of a heel and would seem like a monster....and I dont think wrestling should have job matches, I like to see action

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back