• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jim Johnston for WWE Hall Of Fame?

Should Jim Johnston be in the Hall Of Fame?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Magic Mark

Former WCW TV Champion
I was on Wikipedia doing whatever and all of a sudden i'm on the WWE Music Group page. Looking at all the songs that were composed by Jim Johnston really made me wonder, should he be a Hall Of Famer? May be a long shot to some, but I think that Jim is an unsung hero in WWE/WWF. Without him, Superstars would of come out to some generic rock song like most of the TNA guys. Sure, he didn't compose ALL of the themes, but look at the wrestlers that got there theme song from Jim: Stone Cold, Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Ultimate Warrior, Undertaker, Bret Hart, Mick Foley, and countless others. Can you imagine these guys making there entrance WITHOUT these kickass songs? Not at all. I think that he deserves it more than guys like Drew Carey and Donald Trump. I'm not asking for them to make him headline the Hall Of Fame ceremony, but just an ordinary induction.

So, what do you guys think? Should Jim Johnston be in the WWE Hall Of Fame?

Yes. He absolutely should.

An induction should be gained due to an exceptional contribution to the landscape of the WWE and Jim more than meets that criteria. I agree with you. Is he big enough to headline? Nowhere near it, but he's more than deserving of the nod.

CM Punk grammar slam my friend, look it up.

Anywho, this is actually a very good idea. I hadn't thought of Jim as a potential HOF inductee, but it makes a lot of sense. The Hulk Hogan theme is especially timeless, I have that on my playlist when I go running. He had a knack for writing music and devoted himself to accentuating and amplifing the presence of our favorite performers. I doubt if very many people know the man behind the music. The only way I could see this not happening is if he's one of those artists like Lorenzo Music who would almost never make a public appearance.

Posted from Wrestlezone.com App for Android

I've always thought he should be, but after the Fandango thing people were clamoring for it as well and I felt the same feeling I got when people started listening to a band I listened to before they got popular.

But yeah, he should.

● Should Jim Johnston be in the WWE Hall Of Fame?
He most definitely should. The guy has made some really important contributions to the wrestling world. He has churned out some great themes that have helped define some of wrestling's greatest performers.​

Jim Johnston, forgetting the fact he works to provide the WWE with music, is just a great song writer and musician. He gets it, he understands it. If you go on YouTube, or just listen to those around, they are forever saying "best WWE theme ever" or "best entrance music ever". That must mean something. The iconic songs he has written and collaborated with.

It's the simple things, like the glass shatters for Stone Cold Steve Austin, the gong for The Undertaker, "If You Smell" for The Rock, hell, the static for CM Punk. All these small things that, in one second, can make an entire arena lift to its feet. Considering how many songs he has made over such a long period of time, you can't deny his musical talent.

When it comes to outsiders collaborating with him, he gets it on the money. Disturbed for Stone Cold is my all time favorite, Motorhead for Triple H and Evolution, Rev Theory for Randy Orton, Alter Bridge for Edge (yes, I know "Metalingus" is an actual song from "One Day Remains", I am a big fan, I know), this man gets it, whether he has to write from scratch or has to reorganize a song he knows will fit.

In a way, his Hall of Fame induction will mirror the likes of Howard Finkel and "Mean" Gene Okerlund. Their talents can only be realized looking back. When the Fink was at WrestleMania I, I don't think anyone considered him to go into any Hall of Fame class. When Okerlund said that famous attendance line at WrestleMania III, same goes for him. He is an unsung hero, sometimes music makes the difference for superstars, and he has, nine times out of ten, got it right. Full deserving.

Yes. Absolutely. His music helped DEFINE the greatest stars in wrestling history...in fact entrance music is part of what made the great stars, such as Austin, larger than life, so to speak.

So yes, hall of fame.

For sure. WWF/WWE would not have been the success it was today without the entrance themes of most of the Superstars that have ever competed in the WWF/WWE. And Jim Johnston is the guy that made most of those iconic theme tunes. They added something to every single performers aura. There is no doubt he should be in. Get him in Vince!

Absolutely. The HOF is the only true way to show appreciation to those behind the scenes who helped enhance the show.

You may not think the theme music matters, but nothing gets the heart pumping like some Glass Shattering or a Gong.

I'm all for it!

He has contributed immensely to the WWE product. We all have a favourite theme song and he has his name on a lot of them. Never mind being good themes but simply decent songs. If ring-announcers and commentators get inducted then I think he should be as well.

A counter-argument is that if he gets inducted then when does it end. We could then say that the people who create video packages should be induced - they contribute to the product. However, Jim Johnston has clearly done an incredible amount for the company and it wouldn't hurt if he was a the 7th inductee one year.

Discussed many times in the past. He is deserving but WWE really don't induct backstage personnel.

First off, small correction: Hulk Hogan's "Real American" was written and performed by Rick Derringer, not Jim Johnston.

That said, I think in some cases, a wrestler's music can be as vital as a part of their character as any other aspect. For that reason, I do feel that there is a place for Johnston to be in the WWE Hall of Fame.

I remember reading a while back that Johnston isn't fond of video cameras... Don't remember where I read it and not sure if it is true or not, but it would explain why he's seen on camera so rarely and might be a reason as to why WWE hasn't put him in already. Just something to think about.

-Bill

No he doesn't deserve to be in the hall of fame. That is only reserved to the people who are entertaining and put their bodies on the line for our enjoyment.

No he doesn't deserve to be in the hall of fame. That is only reserved to the people who are entertaining and put their bodies on the line for our enjoyment.

And yet Bob Uecker is in... Your logic is flawed.

Without Jim Johnston's music, most of the iconic entrances in the past 20 plus years would be, well, lame. Don't discount the effect of entrance music. From Gorgeous George in the 1940s, to the Fabulous Freebirds in the 1970s and 1980s, to the superstars of today, the entrance music is what makes a superstar instantly recognized even before they come into the ring. You hear that iconic gong, you know The Undertaker is coming out.

And yet Bob Uecker is in... Your logic is flawed.

Without Jim Johnston's music, most of the iconic entrances in the past 20 plus years would be, well, lame. Don't discount the effect of entrance music. From Gorgeous George in the 1940s, to the Fabulous Freebirds in the 1970s and 1980s, to the superstars of today, the entrance music is what makes a superstar instantly recognized even before they come into the ring. You hear that iconic gong, you know The Undertaker is coming out.

Anybody can do his job. He's expendable not Hall of Fame material.

Jim Johnston has subtly been a big part of our entertainment for years. He's had a part or outright written the majority of WWE music themes. Things like that can help make or break a wrestler. It's a very important job. And you've probably listened to his music a few thousand times if you're a long time wrestling fan. While putting your body on the line is a great contribution, it's certainly not a requirement for the WWE Hall of Fame. The Brain, Jimmy Hart, and Paul Bearer didn't put their bodies on the line, or did so on rare occasions. Their legendary positions as managers earned their way into the hall of fame.

While not known well, he has been a bigger part of the WWE product than most over the years, and has MORE than earned his place in the Hall of Fame.

Are people really saying that because he's never competed he doesn't deserve to be inducted? In a world where Drew Carrey is in the WWE Hall of Fame, you're damn right Jim Johnston belongs.

Anybody can do his job. He's expendable not Hall of Fame material.

I have been waiting for YEARS for Jim Johnston to be inducted into the HOF, and could not disagree more with this comment.

It's ridiculous to deny how much his compositions have contributed to the landscape of WWE over the years, or how good and fitting they are.

Case in point? See TNA. That's what happens when you have someone do entrance themes who just doesn't get it. I actually like watching TNA in general, but their entrance themes are abysmal. Whoever does them: THAT guy is expendable. Jim Johnston is not.

Several years back, I was against the idea of Howard Finkel being inducted on the basis that he was "just a ring announcer". Over time, however, I've come to realize that some people who generally don't seem to be on the radar much of the time, as our attention is obviously more focused on the wrestling & various storylines, are some of the unsung heroes of the business. Howard Finkel is one of those people when you consider that big booming voice announcing the participants in some classic match that people still talk about.

Jim Johnston is another one of those unsung heroes that's probably even less recognized by a lot of fans than someone like Howard Finkel. Johnston has been with WWE since 1985 and has been the writer and/or producer of the various entrance themes most of the wrestlers have used, had overseen the music used in video games and various vignettes, DVD compilations.

http://www.last.fm/music/Jim+Johnston/+images/71969166

This was the first time I ever even thought of looking up Johnston. I'd come to realize that I'd never even seen a photo of the man. He's someone that's always been behind the scenes and when you get right down to it, the music he's created for the various wrestlers on the WWE roster, past and present, have become central aspects of who some of these wrestlers are as characters. So yeah, I think he deserves to be recognized for the contributions he's made.

Only 2 problems with this really.
1-the wwe hof is not a real thing in any sense of the world. it is a glorified PR centered 'honor'. And the people who get in are those that WWE can capatalize on their reputations and history to draw attention to the ceremony and Wrestlemania.
2-I've never heard of Jim Johnson until this post. To get into even the wwe hof, there needs to be some name recognition beyond the few people who read the back of a cd case or the credits on a dvd release.
If it was a real HOF, with some type of fan/audience/wrestling journalist voting situation and not based on the whims of McMahon then there are others that would be in the HOF first. Their production crew, many of the people from creative over the years, the directors and producers of some of their best vignettes and promos, the ring crews and refs, makeup and costume department would all deserve to be in as well.
Posters on this thread that are saying they've wanted him in the HOF for years are lying out their ass. He's had zero on air presence or recognition by WWE so who the hell even knew who he was until recently? His job was not to be a star, but to make the stars look and sound good. He was a background, back room guy. Sure, we as fans might know that there was someone or someones putting together the music, but to now go around claiming that he had a role in the success of the stars and that they would have failed or not been as popular without his work is insane. Its complete bullshit from a group trying to make themselves seem knowledgable and connected.
If this was real, then show me a thread in the archives that EVER brings up his name. I've been coming to this forum for as long as it's been around and there has never been a call or reference to him that I can remember. So claiming you've been saying this guy should be hof for years, and talking about his work and contributions now is nothing but leaping on a bandwagon and trying to seem like you've been pulling it instead of just joining it at the last minute.
If the HOF was a real thing, then maybe he could get in as a production member and for his role. But until it is real and not just wwe propaganda and pr, then he doesn't deserve a spot for the simple fact that NO ONE outside of the IWC, no one in the general fandom knwos who the hell he is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back