Jim Johnston to WWE HOF?

Jim Johnston to WWE HOF 2016?

• [COLOR="Green"]Yes[/COLOR]

• [COLOR="Red"]No[/COLOR]

Results are only viewable after voting.

ShinChan

Gone. For. Good.
It’s time WWE commits to expanding its Hall of Fame class to more than just on-air performers.I’m not the first to think of this. In fact, it was a question I fielded every year fromfans when the Hall of Fame ceremony announcements would come around. I rejected the thought of behind-the-scenes people being included simply on the principle that the majority of fans wouldn’t know who they were.
But I’ve changed my mind and feel it could be for the best for the WWE Hall of Fame, which has been growing and evolving.
The company already has a celebrity wing featuring those from Hollywood or sports who had involvement inside the wrestling ring, people such as Pete Rose, Mike Tyson and Donald Trump. WWE also broke new ground when inducting Pittsburgh’s Connor Michalek. The late Michalek was anenthusiastic WWE fan who lost his battle with brain cancer. The Connor’s Cure foundation was started by WWE, and Michalek got the inaugural “Warrior Award” and was inducted last year.
It seems like now is the time for further expansion of the Hall of Fame. Jim Johnston would be a great person to start with in honoring the behind-the-scenes efforts it takes for WWE to be the entertainment juggernaut it is.
Johnston has been WWE’s in-house musicalcomposer for nearly 30 years. It starts with music. It’s the first thing we hear andconnect to a wrestler as he comes out the curtain. So much of the music and entrance sculpts the rest of the wrestler’s performance. Johnston’s brilliance has been documented via behind-the-scenes segments in how he created some memorable themes. He also was a guest on an episode of Stone Cold Steve Austin’s podcast.
Without Johnston, things would be different in WWE, and I don’t think for the better over the past three decades. “You don’t know what you have until it’s gone” is a phrase that applies to Johnston’s talents. Luckily in my lifetime, I haven’t experienced a WWE without his musical soundtrack.

- Justin LaBar

To be honest, I have enjoyed the creations by Jim Johnston a lot. They have an awesome feel with them. And Justin was spot on this time about Jim going to WWE HOF 2016. It would be the right moment to induct him as well as Lemmy. :rolleyes:

Thoughts?

:devil:

Who could forget the Full Metal and Aggression album that he produced? The success of the Anthology; The old music Vol. Albums were hitting the billboard 200 - I think a couple hit the top 5. I definitely feel he's worthy of a HOF bid - he's someome that legitimately deserves it. He's like The Undertaker behind the scenes in terms of years of service. His music is just as important as the performers coming out to it.

The idea of "expanding" the HOF isn't new... Indeed, for all the posturing over Connor Michalek going in as the first Warrior Award... what he'd actually ASKED FOR was an award for the backstage people, not a child who however tragic his tale was, never actually much more than a PR grab for WWE (flame away but it's true) and certainly not what was suggested.

This year they can do the same schitck or they can actually do as Warrior wanted, and I can't think of a better recipient that the guy who was the 2nd part of the Warrior equation... For all Jim's passion, ahem, talent and energy in making that character... it was the theme tune that actually did 90% of the work...

Go back and look at those classic themes, Bret's, Warrior's, Austin's but even further back like the cackle that signaled Ted DiBiase was on his way or the sleazy drum intro that signalled Rick Rude... they always got massive pops... just that theme.

Best example of a Johnston theme in those days and how it could help transform a character was Big Bossman... He was a heel and had Jive Soul Bro, a borrowed theme and then when he went face got "Hard Time" - Which fit his character to a tee. go back and look at Mania 6 and the start of his push... the theme was over and helped him get over, the mean stare, the nightstick and a song telling the opponent exactly what was coming....

Need proof of how important that theme was for Warrior? Go back and watch his match with Honky Tonk Man at Summerslam 88... when that theme hit the place exploded.

That's always been Johnston's skill - as alluded to in some documentaries where he has spoken. He "got" the characters and could, almost everytime make them better with his music... most consider The Brood theme his best and it was... however short-lived, there has rarely been a cooler intro than that ever. In truth, the only time a non-Johnston produced theme has been the same impact in recent years was Cult Of Personality for Punk or Valkryies with Bryan, which was written over 150 years before... There hasn't been one that has really, really stood out of the modern "let's pay a band to do it..."

Politically, it's a sore point to make a standard HOF induction, I get it... there are so many in-ring talents yet to go in, often cos they had the temerity to die, so it's hard to justify a spot over a Davey Boy, Rick Rude, Bossman or any of the other talents who are still with us. Lemmy in before Johnston, no fucking way... Lemmy might be god, but it'd be a slap to ever other wrestling fan who grew up loving a Johnston theme...

But the Warrior Award was meant to be for exactly this... while I don't HATE that Connor went in, I didn't buy it as anything other than cheap... I'd rather see the award Jim/Warrior wanted... and that is the perfect way to get Johnston in there.

Definitely yes from me, wrestling music aficionado that I am

Although people need to realise how comparatively few of the themes are actually "his" - a lot of jobbers/undercarders with great themes did not come from him. For example, the Hardys' first theme was not his. The Dudleys' first theme was not his. Cactus Jack's awesome theme was not his (although the other Foley characters' themes were). These were production library themes. Jimmy Hart also did a lot of the themes when he was with the company, and did many for WCW too I believe (not so knowledgeable on WCW's music. and I believe it's Hart who is responsible for "Sexy Boy" IIRC.

It's a testament though that after a while, you can begin to tell what's his work: the themes I listed above are a rather "generic" kind of good, whereas Kane & Undertaker's music was very particular and specific to them. There have been some weird ones, such as the legendary "Ass Man" song, but they just add to his creative greatness.

The Undertaker's theme, the one he used for all runs aside from 98-99 Dark Side and Bikertaker, is in my opinion Johnston's greatest work, even though it's not my favourite theme he did for Taker. It's incredibly atmospheric and just extraordinarily awe-inspiring.

There hasn't been one that has really, really stood out of the modern "let's pay a band to do it..."

I feel compelled to point out mate that many of these were composed by Johnston anyway - even in cases of big names like Motorhead - the lyrics and riffs used are all from earlier versions of Triple H's themes anyway. It's basically My Time but with different words.

He's probably done more for WWF/E than anyone, the mood and atmosphere of characters were set the second you hear the first part of their song, and so many classic and a handful of modern superstars have gotten their break because their music was catchy and kept the audience interested in them, long enough for the character to make it.

It's a no brainer he should go in, He's been at least as important as some of the historical HoF Managers in that sense.

No way he goes on before Sandra the Seamstress. Him going in before her would clearly only be due to an amalgam of sexism and racism and would make the Hall of Fame a huge joke.

Just kidding, the Hall of Fame is already a pretty big joke. Putting in the music guy is fine.

No way he goes on before Sandra the Seamstress. Him going in before her would clearly only be due to an amalgam of sexism and racism and would make the Hall of Fame a huge joke.

Just kidding, the Hall of Fame is already a pretty big joke. Putting in the music guy is fine.

It's interesting that you brought her up. To be honest they both deserve to be inducted or acknowledged in some way.

Jim Johnston has produced the theme music for WWE shows and Entrance music for WWF for 31 years now. Some of the best songs recorded include RAW's initial theme tune. He has also produced songs on almost every wrestler ever to appear on WWE shows. He is the soundtrack machine for the WWF. He WILL go in one day; otherwise the HOF is not the HOF

He WILL go in one day; otherwise the HOF is not the HOF

Ships sailed. It definitely not a HOF. I mean it is WWEs HOF but compared to others to doesn't look glamorous. Especially when you consider how grand WWE like to do everything.

Anyway I aren't here to bash :rolleyes:

This idea got bandied around a few years back on here and it actually got quite a negative response and people were saying once you induct the Composer you might aswell induct the Pyro guy and the Tea Lady.

Well the thing is the Tea Lady didn't get anyone over (Except Regal) and we all know the Pyro guy burnt down that funeral home.

So yeah fuck it. Induct him.

Ships sailed. It definitely not a HOF. I mean it is WWEs HOF but compared to others to doesn't look glamorous. Especially when you consider how grand WWE like to do everything.

Anyway I aren't here to bash :rolleyes:

This idea got bandied around a few years back on here and it actually got quite a negative response and people were saying once you induct the Composer you might aswell induct the Pyro guy and the Tea Lady.

Well the thing is the Tea Lady didn't get anyone over (Except Regal) and we all know the Pyro guy burnt down that funeral home.

So yeah fuck it. Induct him.

As long as Donald Trump and Drew Carey are in the Hall of Fame, an argument can be made for almost anyone into the HoF

Personally, I want Rick the Sign Guy to be inducted into the Fan Hall of Fame, along with Miz Girl, and that one black guy from the streak being beaten. They've done more for WWE than Trump or Carey.

It’s time WWE commits to expanding its Hall of Fame class to more than just on-air performers.I’m not the first to think of this. In fact, it was a question I fielded every year fromfans when the Hall of Fame ceremony announcements would come around. I rejected the thought of behind-the-scenes people being included simply on the principle that the majority of fans wouldn’t know who they were.
But I’ve changed my mind and feel it could be for the best for the WWE Hall of Fame, which has been growing and evolving.
The company already has a celebrity wing featuring those from Hollywood or sports who had involvement inside the wrestling ring, people such as Pete Rose, Mike Tyson and Donald Trump. WWE also broke new ground when inducting Pittsburgh’s Connor Michalek. The late Michalek was anenthusiastic WWE fan who lost his battle with brain cancer. The Connor’s Cure foundation was started by WWE, and Michalek got the inaugural “Warrior Award” and was inducted last year.
It seems like now is the time for further expansion of the Hall of Fame. Jim Johnston would be a great person to start with in honoring the behind-the-scenes efforts it takes for WWE to be the entertainment juggernaut it is.
Johnston has been WWE’s in-house musicalcomposer for nearly 30 years. It starts with music. It’s the first thing we hear andconnect to a wrestler as he comes out the curtain. So much of the music and entrance sculpts the rest of the wrestler’s performance. Johnston’s brilliance has been documented via behind-the-scenes segments in how he created some memorable themes. He also was a guest on an episode of Stone Cold Steve Austin’s podcast.
Without Johnston, things would be different in WWE, and I don’t think for the better over the past three decades. “You don’t know what you have until it’s gone” is a phrase that applies to Johnston’s talents. Luckily in my lifetime, I haven’t experienced a WWE without his musical soundtrack.

- Justin LaBar

To be honest, I have enjoyed the creations by Jim Johnston a lot. They have an awesome feel with them. And Justin was spot on this time about Jim going to WWE HOF 2016. It would be the right moment to induct him as well as Lemmy.

I have to tell you, this is not exactly an original idea from Justin. This is talked about all the time. Now that guys like Bruno, Warrior, and Savage have gone in, Johnston is probably the most talked about hopeful inductee behind Owen Hart. Sure he should go in. Why not? The only reason not to induct him is if people wouldn't be interested in hearing him speak. I'm sure casuals don't know his name but the crowd that the HOF and WrestleMania attract do. I think it would be interesting to hear him talk about which themes were his favorites, which ones were hard to come up with, which ones just didn't work, etc.

I've mentioned it to you before, I really don't think you know what this means. You seem to use it in very inappropriate places a lot.

No, he should not. This is the wrestling hall of fame. He's not a wrestler.

Surely you see the flaw in your argument. I don't need to say it, do I?

No. To me the HOF should be about inducting wrestlers, managers and announcers but having said that the WWE HOF is already watered down with people like Trump, Tyson and Swartzenegger so Johnson fits that crowd. Vince is all about "entertainment" and that's what the WWE HOF is.

Yes he deserves to be in the HOF. I have said that for at least the past 5 years. Unfortunately he will have to wait until 2017. Lemmy will be inducted this year. There is only room for one non-performer, unfortunately, it will be Lemmy this year. Sorry Jim

You know when someone comes up with an idea and you're thinking... why did I never think of this?

This is one of them.

He absolutely deserves a Hall Of Fame induction.

This thread usually comes around during WrestleMania season or, rather, it has been the past few years, and my answer is always the same: Johnston should be in the WWE Hall of Fame. If Johnston hasn't come up with the entrance themes the WWE wrestlers uses, he's always, at least, involved in the process of producing the songs. He's definitely one of the top, unsung heroes in WWE and genuinely one of the few non-wrestling personnel who should be honored with an HOF induction. WWE has had three of its WWF/E: The Music albums certified Gold or Platinum and, in the RIAA database, they're listed with Jim Johnston as the artist, so that's another little claim to fame that Johnston has going for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back