• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jim Johnston for the Hall of Fame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GUMBO2ndcoming

The Prototype
I certainly think the man deserves it. Part of what make WWE memorable is the music of the superstars, and he's been doing it since the 80's.

He's responsible for almost all of WWE's most famous themes, video game music, and ppv music.

Guys like Steve Austin, The Rock, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, well the list goes on and on would be nothing without the the theme music that Johnston wrote for them.

Hell if you even watch the 98 summerslam he is one of the people playing the DX theme song with whatever band that is.

He's a very talented guy and some guys owe him more credit than they realize. So what do you guys think? Should he be in or not? Should it be sooner rather than later? Comment and thoughts?

Absoloutley. He deserves it more than Drew Carrey, Bob Uecker and even some of the "actual" wrestlers, ooh, wait, I said wrestlers. Back to topic. Of course, everything you said was right. I mean, it is the same for Howard Finkel, he was a ring announcer for the WWE since the 80's.

Good choice, never really though of him.

Absolutely. His work is the first thing that you hear when current/future Hall of Famers head to the ring. He played/plays such an integral part of getting characters over, and deserves credit for all he does.

Totally agree with you!! The music can make the fans go from being completely quiet to extremely loud. He is extremely deserving of the HOF, I'm surprised the WWE didn't put him in by now.

I never really thought about him but you're completely right. He deserves it more than Drew Carey or any of those "celebrities". I don't think it will happen but he would be a good choice.

Absolutely Jim Johnston should be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame.

Jim Johnston is responsible for all the songs we hear as most of the wrestlers come to the ring. Many superstars owe getting over simply because of the songs involved with their persona. Whether it's a glass pane shattering, a simple mariachi band playing Mexican-regal style music, Jim Johnston has done much for the business and the WWE. If Drew Carey, Bob Uecker, William "The Refrigerator" Perry, and Pete Rose can get inducted, Jim Johnston deserves a spot.

I fully believe he should be put into the hall of fame, you really cant measure his contribution to the WWE. Every time you hear someones entrance music he has had something to do with it. Everytime that glass shatters for stone cold or that first chord of the game for HHH you know he has had some input.

The sad thing is the mainstream fans have no idea who jim johnston is. Most of my friends never heard of him and they have been following WWE for years. Unfortunatly i think this may mean he wont get a place in the hall of fame he may just end up with a comemorative plaque and a pat on the back from vince when he retires with a bunch of tributes being written online for his work.

I hope i am proven wrong though because if anyone deserves a place in wrestling history its him. :worship:

I agree that Jim Johnston should be inducted into the HOF. The theme songs he has written over the rears are some of the most recognisable in all of wrestling. If Jimmy Hart can get in, why not Jim Johnston?

that first chord of the game for HHH you know he has had some input.
Remind me how Jim is responsible for a Motorhead song?

The funny thing is as I am reading/typing this I am listening to WWE anthology. He has written so many numbers that has gotten superstars over. From Bret Hart to Stone Cold to The Rock. He really knows how to capture the superstar's character and charisma with his writing. He should have been in this 5 years ago! Great thread.

jim johnston composed "the game" and "king of kings," the songs were only performed by motorhead...

99.9% of the music is composed by jim johnston...only rarely do they use outside compositions. that way they don't have to overdub the songs with generic rock music on later dvd releases (as they did with many pre-johnston tracks, and both of the undertaker's "american badass" and "rollin" mixes).

so johnston definitely deserves a hall of fame spot. not every track has been iconic...but enough of them have been to secure his place as an important part of wwf/e history.

I do believe he should be in the HoF but i dont think he will though, i cant remember him ever being on tv so noone will know who he is. What would be his induction video? :p Yes he does make great music but i highly doubt he will get in. With memorable instrumental themes such as Razor Ramon, Mankind, Brock Lesnar, Stone Cold, Bret Hart, Undertaker and Alberto Del Rio. For them alone he deserves a HoF Ring for sure.

I think he will be inducted, but not until he retires or dies. He sure deserves to be, since he is the sound of the WWE. He should be, since he wrote almost every WWE theme since the mid 80's, who else besides Vince has been with the Company for that long.

Oh absolutely, without a doubt.

Entrance music is so instrumental in making a visual impact, particulary when wrestlers are just starting out with the company.

He has a gift of finding just the right music for the right wrestler and in some instances, they then tailor their entrances around the music themselves i.e. The Ultimate Warrior.

Just an example of how good Jim Johnston is - Daniel Bryan chose his own music over what was chosen for him and, despite being an extremely talented wrestler, his entrances have no intensity or impact.

It does beggar the question as to whether this would open the doors for other technical staff i.e. sound/lighting/stage engineers should or would be inducted into the WWE HOF. Maybe, as they have with the celebs, they should have a technical wing also?

I would be surprised if he hasn't been asked already (Vince McMahon himself is also personally a huge fan of his work) but he is known of suffering crippling stage fright so it is quite likely he would turn it down in all honesty which is a pity, because he is very much an unsung genius and done so much for some wrestlers careers.

In My opinion, yes he should, but he's always been a behind the scenes guy, the problem WWE may have is that if they induct Jim, they'll also have to induct
- The Long Standing Producers
- Some of the Camera and Sound Guys who have been in WWE forever.
And all those other guys who help the WWE in what it is today, and who have been doing that for 15-20 years.

But Really Jim woud be a great addition to the HOF, the music he has writen or assigned to wrestlers has always helped us to further connect to them, and without him the WWE would never be the same.

Jim Johnston - Hall of Fame class of 2012 (FTW)

...for other technical staff i.e. sound/lighting/stage engineers should or would be inducted into the WWE HOF. Maybe, as they have with the celebs, they should have a technical wing also?

They wouldn't have to put in the lighting guys and sound guys, most of the time they get local crews to help with the set-ups. I have a couple friends here in Topeka that helped do the set ups for the Raw in October of 2007? not sure of the year...they helped to the lighting and sound and whatnot....

As for Jim Johnston, if he isnt in the HOF at some point, it will be a travesty. He is one of the main reasons superstars get over...

I do believe he should be in the HoF but i dont think he will though, i cant remember him ever being on tv so noone will know who he is. What would be his induction video?

Watch the Piledriver video, he is in there. Never mind the hall of Fame, I just want a CD of all his music. Including the 2nd SNME theme, the Prime Time Wrestling theme, the old 87 Superstars music, and of course the original Bam Bam Bigelow theme.

Man, him and that sax were un-freaking-beliveable.

I don't think he'll get into the WWE Hall Of Fame. The average fan has no idea who he is. Steve Lombardi will get in before he does.

People are acting like the Hall of Fame is anything other than a marketing tool for the company. Did you hear Animal's HOF induction speech? "Mumble mumble...WWE UNIVERSE...mumble mumble...WWE SUPERSTAR..."

The hall of fame has nothing to do with recognizing someone's 'contribution to the business/company,' and everything to do with the WWE commodifying the history of pro wrestling in a way that allows them to brand someone as a "WWE Hall of Famer" so they can sell you a DVD or some other kind of merchandise.

Most definetly, his work with the WWE's theme music has had a major effect on the universe. Without him we wouldnt have classic themes like I Wont Do What You Tell Me, If You Smell, Hitman, Sexy Boy, and Break It Down. Also he still continues to do great work with the next generation of superstars like Broken Dreams and It's A New Day. And I know everyone has already said this but I cant help but say if Drew Carey can get in the HOF then Jim definetly should. I actually do believe there are enough people who know about his work, there's no reason he shouldnt get in next year since he's been doing this for so long but odds are they will do it when he retires.

Compare The Game to Triple H's my time versions, it's basically the same rhythm.

Jim Johnston also makes awesome edits of other artist's songs, which I think sometimes sounds better. Like Edge's.

Same with The Rock ever since he joined the nation if you listen closely it's the identicle rhythm and bass line

I think Jim Jonhston should certainly be in the HOF. The entrance music he has created over the years has certainly benefitted the characters and gimmicks of the wrestlers who use them. Everyone immediately thinks of The Rock's music when they think of him, same with HBK, same with Austin. The instantly recognisable music makes the crowd pop every time the music hits, and they know who is coming out. This gets them more excited, more into the product and makes for better TV.

Without the music of Jim Johnston, the WWE wouls be very different, it would not be the same as we see today.

Yes 100%. This guy has probably done more for WWE than 50% of the superstars who have ever entered the squared circle!!!

His music has played a huge part in the careers of many. I dare say without the correct music 1 or 2 might not be who they are today!!!

Definitely. WWF music in the early/mid 1990s was the reason why I decided to play guitar, and today the guitar is a major part of my career, personal life, etc., and I'm pretty darn good too. I interned at the publishing company that controlled Johnston's and the WWF's music, and I got to see all the behind-the scenes stuff that goes into the WWF music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back