• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jericho/Punk's Build Into Extreme Rules Is Better Than Their Build Into Wrestlemania

PlayTheGame

The Cerebral Assassin
Going into Wrestlemania, I felt that Jericho/Punk felt a bit underwhelming in terms of the build. Sure, they put on a good match, but weeks of Jericho (via titantron) taunting Punk and his family members didn't seem very intense to me, no matter how much Punk tried to sell it. In the end, it was just immature taunts. They got away from "the best in the world" stuff and Jericho wanting to reclaim his spot (which is what his return videos were all about) in favor of this build. I didn't think it was great.

Now, we have Jericho bashing Punk over the head with liquor bottles, questions of CM Punk falling into the vice of drinking, and hilarious CM Drunk promos that ended up being a ruse in order to attack Jericho.

Extreme Rules Build > Wrestlemania Build

By a lot. Simple as that. The stuff they're doing now is much more entertaining, and I'd argue that besides Cena/Lesnar, Jericho/Punk is the most exciting thing on the ER card based on the buildup. I'm glad they finally have their feud on track, but I can't help but wonder why they couldn't deliver this kind of build going into Wrestlemania. Because that build was lackluster, slow, and not very memorable.

Agree/Disagree?

Agreed...the Wrestlemania build for that match was atrocious. Luckily, they salvaged part of what was so bad and have made it into an interesting storyline.

Agreed.

But, it may be on purpose. They didn't need Punk and Jericho to sell 'Mania. Maybe they thought, before signing Lesnar, that they would need to save the best for the Extreme Rules build so it would sell more.

With two weeks to go before Wrestlemania, it was like they almost ran out of ideas to push the feud just under the 'Best in the World' monicker, so they dragged up he whole Straight-Edge thing. In essence, it is a good idea, but they rushed it and now that it has had proper time to develop, it's much more interesting.

I agree that it's better and actually has me more interested in the PPV as a whole, but it certainly doesn't compare to what we thought was coming with Jericho's "end of the world" promos. I think thats the main reason why everyone has been disappointed.

If you take out the end of the world promos for Jericho's return this isn't a terrible feud and the build up for Mania wasn't really that bad. But considering the hype you would think it would have been done better.

Anyway, I agree. CM Drunk and Jericho actually being at RAW has been a nice change up.

I'm still not on-board, honestly I thought the promo with Punk pretending to be drunk last night was pretty cringeworthy and far too drawn out.

I disagree, I'm glad they gave that promo length and the time it needed to be fleshed out by Punk and Jericho. The ad-libbing was great. CM Drunk was surprisingly funny and fairly convincing, although the outcome of the promo was predictable. But even so, it was good nonetheless. Plus, the fact that it involved the potential stripping of the WWE Title definitely gave it some gravitas.

Their build to Wrestlemania was pretty much "We are both above-average guys, so lets try to convince a few people that we are the Best in the World".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back