• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jeff Hardy goin' goth; the new Sting?

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
As if The Charismatic Enigma moniker wasn't [confusing] enough for ya, it seems to me as though Jeff Hardy is really taking on a full-time role with this pseudo black metal face-paint persona and goin' goth in TNA, which as an immediate by-product of his promo with Styles at the start of iMPACT! tonight had my mind racing around the comparison with two guys he seems to be emulating (visually, if nothing else) in Sting and Raven.

I don't think there's a more over wrestler in the world right now than Hardy, and that's my honest un-biased opinion – even the almighty John Cena takes a bow to Hardy's ability to draw, especially when it comes to young fans – which is what got me thinking for a moment; Sting and Raven are both cult classics in the wrestling industry, in that no matter how much time off they take, and no matter how often (or not often) they're seen, the ravid fanbase of both wrestlers is ready to mark for them on the drop of a dime every time either decides to make an appearance. Jeff, IMO seems to be on the very cusp of that ability himself, which begs a few questions...

As much as I'd love to see Hardy go full-time goth and essentially transition into becoming the new Sting/Raven in both a visual sense, as well as character-wise (seeing as he's a constantly-over-no-matter-what-he-does type guy, who's always a question mark in terms of who he really is or what his direction really is), does the seriousness of Jeff really going down that road hurt the potential influx of young fans TNA could potentially capitalize on/gain regarding Hardy's uncanny ability to draw in youngsters? Better yet, does TNA's "adult-themed" program already hinder that ability on it's own?

We all saw Jeff play these cards sporadically toward the end of his run in the WWE last year, so could this simply be TNA's way of going full-circle, or is this simply more of the charismatic enigma we've come to know?

As far as bringing in new fans I think it would work. The big difference between Jeff Hardy and Cena is that everyone in general liked Jeff, his character had enough adult-aspects so that everyone was interested the kids liked him because he did crazy shit and dressed "cool", adults and teens liked him because he was relatable due to having personal faults and the whole "live for the moment" attitude. With his current role in TNA as the new sting/raven as you put it I can see the majority of his fans still liking him, kids maybe not but teens and adults in the 18-24 demo are probably going to like him more, especially considering TNA let's him do even crazier shit in-ring than before.

I agree, it seems like Jeff's character might be a bit darker this time around in TNA. I love the whole "creatures of the night" idea being like Jeff's "hulkamaniacs". I bet we'll see a lot of signs with that phrase in the Impact Zone next Monday.

I could see TNA embellishing Jeff's WWE character to be much MUCH darker. "It's Damn Real!" - I know you compared Jeff to Raven and Sting, but I can see TNA (specifically Russo) making Jeff more like the Undertaker in the mid to late nineties...not in the "dead-man" sense where he can't be beat, but in the sense that it's cool to be slightly creepy and weird.

To answer one of your questions, I don't think that the kiddies would be turned off by a darkened Hardy. I also don't think the TV-14 rating will keep kids from watching TNA. The higher rating didn't stop kids from watching Raw in the late nineties...if anything, it made MORE kids want to watch it because it was raunchier and more violent than what was going on in WCW at the time.

The thing that's keeping the kiddies from changing the channel from Raw to Impact right now is name-recognition. I have an eight-year-old who loves watching WWE television, but never wanted to watch Impact with me. The reason he doesn't like it? "...it doesn't have a lot of guys I know". He loves Jeff Hardy though, he's his favorite wrestler. Guess which show he watched tonight? ...I bet he'll make the same choice next week (or at least do a little more channel-flipping), and also tell his friends at school who watch WWE.

Jeff will continue to be a huge draw for years to come, in whatever company he decides to work for. As long as he's still booked as a face, it won't matter how he looks...the kids (and a lot of adults too) will continue to chant "Hardy, Hardy!".

I agree with everyone 100% especially idiosque because the same thing happened to me with my young cousins, they said tna had no people they knew but since hardy debuted on January 4th they haven't missed a show and now with RVD andothers there hooked. Also they now think aj styles and etc. Are the bomb!

Jeff is probally the most over wrestler in the world right now, im glad TNA have given him a big match instead of there teaser fued that would have been with Homicide, Jeff needs to be at the top as he is the most over wrestler, many may say if he wins the TNA World title too soon that it would be stupid, but to have the most over star has your champion can do you great

I dont think he is the new Sting, he has his own style

It's common knowledge that Jeff's favorite wrestler was Sting when he was little, so it's no coincidence. He wants to look like Sting and emulate his style to an extent, while implementing his own style of high risk spots and stupidity.

But as far as him being the new Sting... he can keep dreaming. As popular as Hardy is, he'll never touch Sting as far as popularity and overall role in the wrestling business. Sting depended on charisma and having excellent wrestling matches to get over. Hardy depends on charisma and nearly dying in every match.

So as far as looks? Possibly. But wrestling ability? No.

I like this Lariat kid. I agree with his view except i give Hardy a little more credit, he is really good in the ring and i think he has actually toned down his semantics in the last few years. Remember, it use to be every match he was in now it's a little more sporadically. But besides that i think Lariat summed it up good. I would like you more though if you gave us back our coach (of course i mean Calipari being that i'm a Memphis Tiger lol). Hope i'm not wrong presuming you're a Wildcat fan. If so, i'll be routing for your guys this year since Memphis got banned to the NIT. Besides with our coach and 2 starters that were suppose to be here this year its almost like watching my team anyways lol.

I could see them doing a Sting/Hardy feud. Anyone remember Hardy's Spine Line move he started using when he debuted in TNA the first time. It was a Scorpion Death Lock without putting his leg inbetween the opponets. I can see alot of similiarities and they would be dumb not to try to do that. I'm hoping for RVD/Styles & Jeff/Sting at Bound For Glory

I could definately see Hardy taking over Stings role when Stings time is up. Maybe not rockin the trench coat and baseball bat. But i could see him looking down from the rafters and maintaining his mysterious identity. All Hardy needs to do is stay out of trouble. Maybe add a new finisher. The twist of fate is a little stale and doesnt look like too much of a high impact move compared to the Styles Clash or Muscle Buster.

I don't think he's really emulating anyone. Hardy has always worn makeup and even in the WWE used black/white/purple. I don't think this was meant to take the place or pay homage to Sting or Raven, or even imply him being "goth." Hardy is just legit crazy and likes doing weird stuff.

As for becoming a character like Sting or Raven, I just don't think that's something Hardy could pull off. He's not intimidating and "I'll do crazy flips and jumps" crazy, not "I'm going to hurt you psychologically and sadistically in a physical manner" crazy like Raven. And he's not legendary like Sting, nor does he have the ridiculously over opponents that would help facilitate a crazy character change like Sting with with the NWO.

I'm fairly certain that it's just Hardy being Hardy.

The goth thing he's done before in WWE, at least the face-painting part.

If he was emulating anyone on Impact it was Ultimate Warrior. His promos are always so strange; his replies to A.J. were just puzzling to me. It'll be a breeze! Okay, not so strange in the meaning, but just that phrasing. Then when Ric basically calls him out for being a druggie he says he'll be getting high on the backs of his Creatures of the Night. Keep in mind that at this point I don't remember this term ever being used, it's not a bad title for his fans but it was coming out of nowhere, then he growled.....so Warrior.

The Creatures of the night... That was originally the Undertaker's term for his fans, it has been used before...

I'm not too big of a Hardy fan, but I love TNA and I know how popular he is with the younger viewers, so if he can help TNA then I guess I'm a fan...

I've always been a fan of the more gothic characters like Raven, original Mankind, The Fallen Angel... So, maybe he can make it work for him...

And as far as the new Sting... I think it makes complete sense... He has a well known on screen hatred for Hogan and he can argue that he has been carrying TNA for years, being the ICON... Now Hogan is here and steaking his thunder sorta speak...

I think Sting, if he devoted himself, could be a great heel... We've always seen him kinda do the tweener heel thing and it doesn't work because people want to love Sting... He's never gave the "You fans can stick it" speach... I just don't know how many matches he has left and I really don't see him retiring as a heel...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back