January Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
It's still early days, the only move of note is Wayne Bridge. Even that's not a huge deal. He's good, but he's hardly the world class defender that Man City would want and need to make themselves a prominent force in the Premiership. The same goes for signing somebody like Craig Bellamy. But they'll have to make do, because for all thir money, the real quality will want to move to the bigger more established teams.

It also looks like Defoe is back to Spurs. Great news, it'll probably add Pompey to the relegation fight.

Pompey accept Spurs bid for Defoe

Defoe scored 64 goals in his first spell at White Hart Lane
Portsmouth have accepted a bid from Tottenham to sign England striker Jermain Defoe on a five-year contract.

The deal, which is expected to be worth about £15m, would mean Defoe returning to the club he left under a year ago.

Harry Redknapp originally lured Defoe, 26, from White Hart Lane to Pompey for about £7.5m in 2008 when the Spurs manager was in charge at Fratton Park.

"Portsmouth can confirm a fee has been agreed with Tottenham for Jermain Defoe," read a statement from Pompey.

Defoe scored 17 goals in 36 games for Portsmouth, comprising eight in his first seven matches and nine more this season.

Any deal for the forward, who has scored six goals in 32 appearances for England, would also have to take into account monies owed to Tottenham by Portsmouth in deals for Younes Kaboul and Pedro Mendes. 606: DEBATE
Is this good business?

Dom_Spur

Defoe, who is set to undergo a medical at Tottenham's training ground at Chigwell in Essex on Tuesday, had also been linked with Manchester City and Aston Villa.

It will be the third time Defoe has played under Redknapp as the duo were also together at West Ham around the turn of the century.

He will be paraded in front of the Tottenham fans before their Carling Cup semi-final first leg against Burnley at White Hart Lane on Tuesday evening.

Redknapp is also keen to sign a left-sided midfielder in the current transfer window but Middlesbrough have already rejected a £6m bid for Stewart Downing from Spurs.

I think Defoe could help lift Spurs up the table, but I don't think he is worth £15 million. Spurs sold him in January 08 for £7.5 million and now he is supposed to be twice the player. I don't think so.

Zenit confirm Arsenal Arshavin talks

Zenit St Petersburg have confirmed talks are taking place with Arsenal regarding a deal for Andrei Arshavin.

Russian schemer Arshavin has been looking to leave the Uefa Cup holders in search of a move to a major European league.

He impressed at Euro 2008 and was linked with Arsenal's North London rivals Tottenham Hotspur, along with Spanish giants Barcelona and Real Madrid after the tournament.

However, in recent weeks, speculation concerning a possible January move to Arsenal has increased after he was given permission to discuss his departure from Zenit.

Reports suggest Zenit are demanding a £20million fee for Arshavin, but the Gunners value the 27-year-old at considerably less.

Zenit, though, have told Sky Sports News that they are confident of agreeing a deal to sell the playmaker to Arsenal this month.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has been looking to reinforce his squad after losing captain Cesc Fabregas for several months due to a knee injury.

Wenger has previously been coy on any interest in Arshavin, but admitted over the weekend that he was aiming to sign a player of 'special class'.

He also confirmed that availability for the knockout phase of the UEFA Champions League would not be an issue, with Arshavin unable to feature against Roma after appearing in the group stage for Zenit.

I'm not too sure if he will make it in the Premiership as it much quicker and much more physical than the Russian league. If he does settle quickly I think he could produce some flair and excitement which could in turn raise the confidence levels in our players as Arsenal have struggled this season

I think Defoe could help lift Spurs up the table, but I don't think he is worth £15 million. Spurs sold him in January 08 for £7.5 million and now he is supposed to be twice the player. I don't think so.

The Spurs are a joke when it comes to transfers. How much did they pay for Darren Bent? £16 million? Something like that. Then they bought Pavlyuchenko for £14 million, and now they pay £15 million for a player they sold for half the price not long ago. Seriously, what the hell? Maybe they should start focusing on other parts of their team, attacking isn't everything.

It's not looking good for West Ham, the financial crisis has really hit them hard, so I expect to see many of the players go.

Taken From SkySports.com
Manchester City have opened talks with AC Milan over the possibility of bringing Kaka to the Premier League, Sky Sports News understands.

Sky Sports News chief news reporter Bryan Swanson has learned that City chief executive Garry Cook travelled to Italy to begin preliminary discussions with officials from the Italian outfit.

The potential blockbuster transfer remains at a very early stage and no bid has been lodged, with Cook keen to test Milan's resolve to retain the services of the talented playmaker.

Club owner Silvio Berlusconi described the Brazil international as 'untransferable' earlier on Tuesday but City are yet to be put off.

City's owners the Abu Dhabi United Group proved they have the financial muscle by signing Robinho from Real Madrid in the summer in a £32.5million deal.

And they are now keen to bring the forward's compatriot to Eastlands to give manager Mark Hughes' squad real superstar quality.

Kaka admitted to Swanson in a November interview that playing in the Premier League was an ambition he hoped to realise at some stage in his playing career.

But with City currently battling to avoid relegation to the Championship, it remains to be seen if one of the most gifted players on the planet will be prepared to make the move, regardless of the riches on offer.

sky sports are saying deal could be near 100 Million :icon_surprised: what do you all think about this

I think it's ridiculous. No player is worth spending £100 million on. I have seen in various places they are willing to offer him between £220,000 - £500,000 per week. That is just stupid. They will be shelling out at least £13 million on his wages alone. If Kaka goes to City, I will lose all the respect I have for him as him going there will only show he is after money like Robinho

Kaka to City? It will never happen.

Main reason is Kaka, once the best player in the world, is going to want to play at the top level, surrounded by world class players to enable him to be the best player that he can. At Manchester City, he wouldn't get that. The only players capable of playing in the same team are Robinho, Elano and Petrov. Only Robinho is playing, so therefore it wouldn't be attractive to him. Let's face it, City won't get into the Champions League for a few years, if ever. Aston Villa are in a much better position, having spent no-where near as much money.

Then we come to the transfer fee and wages. It's reported that it's anywhere from £100m to £170m, according to Sky Sports News. This, is bloody insane. If Kaka is worth that, then think about Messi, Torres or Ronaldo. They'd be worth almost triple that. Imagine Torres going to City for £300m, that's the equivelant. It's just too much for any player, they're not worth it. Kaka would improve the team, but not to the extent that it would be worth anywhere near £100m. Then go to his wages. £500,000 a week? You must be fucking insane. Not even Ronaldo & Messi combined are worth that. Why the fuck would you pay him so much? And let's not forget, if City paid Kaka that, then Robinho would SURELY feel undervalued and ask for more money. It's just a bad move all around.

Kaka cleared to talk to Man City

AC Milan have given their Brazilian superstar Kaka permission to talk to Manchester City.

City are thought to have bid in excess of £100m for the 26-year-old, whose father Bosco Leite is his advisor.

"Milan has authorized the negotiation with City," said Kaka's spokesman Diogo Kotschko. "The next step is Kaka's father will talk to Manchester City."

The director of the club's in-house TV channel, Mauro Suma, said Milan were looking at City's offer for Kaka.

But he added: "Considered does not mean decided or accepted. We are not faced with a decision made or a done deed."

However, a Milan spokesman said Suma's comments were not an official statement by the Serie A club.

Earlier on Thursday City boss Mark Hughes says the club's big-money offer for the Milan playmake Kaka makes football and business sense.

Talks are ongoing between the clubs over what would be a world record transfer for the 26-year-old.

"The money involved is something we feel, from a football and business point of view, works," said Hughes.

"The process has moved forward at a pace this week but people shouldn't be thinking that it is just a whim."

The sheer size of the figures involved in the proposed deal has made headlines around the world, but Hughes said it was all part of a considered plan from the club's hierarchy.

"It's been done with structure and understanding," he said.

"We're all very much involved in that process; myself from a football point of view and (chief executive) Garry Cook and (chairman) Khaldoon Al Mubarak from a club and business point of view.

"It would be naive to think I have not been involved in discussions over this transfer. I have had meetings about it and have had an input."

Earlier, City assistant manager Mark Bowen claimed that the record-breaking transfer was near to a resolution.

"We believe the deal is very close," Bowen told BBC Sport Wales.

"We are selling the future plans of the club to the player.

"I've read a lot about his love of AC Milan - and that goes without saying - but even when people said the deal was dead, that was not our understanding.

"The situation has been a surprise to everyone but obviously negotiations have been going on for a fair while.

"How close we are I don't know, but our understanding is that it is very much a strong possibility that Kaka will be coming."

Some media outlets reported the deal was off because City had decided to withdraw their offer to Milan.

An AC Milan spokesman told BBC Sport on Thursday that they would not be making any further comment on the "special situation", but Kaka's adviser Diogo Kotscho said his client would be open to a move if Milan wanted to sell.

Kotecho insists any move would be done for the right reasons and not just for the reported £500,000-a-week wages.

"It is not impossible, if Milan let us talk, then we will see what City have to offer," Kotscho told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"Kaka knows about the offer but the club did not give authorisation for talks, so we did not meet.

"It was a great proposal but it's not about only money.

"We have to see if they have a project to become a Champions League team and become one of the top teams in the world, and to stay there long term."

Previously Kaka had told the website of Mediaset, a TV company owned by Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi, he wanted to stay at the club for life.

"I want to grow old at Milan," he said.

"I repeat what I have always said. Other clubs can make all the offers they want but it all depends on Milan.

RECORD TRANSFERS
£46m Zinedine Zidane (Juventus - Real Madrid)
£37m Luis Figo (Barcelona - Real Madrid)
£34m Hernan Jorge Crespo (Parma - Lazio)
£32.5m Robinho (Real Madrid - Man City)
£31m Christian Vieri (Lazio - Inter Milan)
£30.75m Dimitar Berbatov (Tottenham - Manchester United)

"As I have said before, as long as Milan share my goals, I would like to stay here. Then if one day the club wants to sell me, than that would be a different matter altogether.

"My aim is to become at some point in the future the captain of this team."

AC Milan confirmed that their chief executive Adriano Galliani had met officials from City on Tuesday to discuss Kaka's future.

The current record for a player's signature is £46m when France's Zinedine Zidane moved from Juventus to Real Madrid in 2001.

Kaka joined Serie A giants Milan from Sao Paulo in 2003 and has since won the Italian league title, Champions League and Club World Cup.

The attacking midfielder has scored 86 goals in 244 appearances for Milan. He has also picked up 62 caps for Brazil and scored 23 goals.

Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, estimated to be worth £15bn, took over as City owner in September 2008 and extensive funds have been made available to Hughes.

However, he has only secured the services of Wayne Bridge in January's transfer window, with bids rejected for West Ham forward Craig Bellamy and Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz.

The four-man delegation that travelled to Italy to initiate talks with the Milan officials is believed to have included executive chairman Cook and two representatives of the Sheikh.

With the club struggling in 15th position in the Premier League, it would give City an incredible boost if they were to seal the deal for one of the world's best players.

Kaka is under contract at the San Siro until 2013, and although he stated last February that he wanted to remain at Milan for the rest of his career, he did hint at a desire to play in the Premier League - which he has described as the "best championship in the world".

Source: BBC Sport

I don't think Man City have thought this through properly. If the reported £100 million is correct and if the wages will be the reported £250,000 per week, then by the end of 2009 they will have spent £200,000,000 on him alone which is just stupid and the Man City owners will be making a mockery of the beautiful game

No team should turn down any offers from Man City. They're ridiculously overinflated. Nobody is worth 100 million, so they should take it while the offer is on the table. Bellamy & Parker aren't worth the money they've been offered, so West Ham should take it. It's that simple. It won't effect the transfer market in general because no other teams can afford to compete. And Man City will still take years to get to the same level as the big 4, and by then their owners will probably be bored of wasting money.

A top AC Milan official last night declared Kaka’s world record move to Man City ‘signed and sealed’.

In a dramatic development to City’s £100m bid to land Kaka, Milan sporting director Ariedo Braida reportedly told club shareholders: “He has signed.”

Later, when asked to comment, an angry Braida, responsible for all Milan’s transfers, refused to deny or comment on the subject.

But City boss Mark Hughes said: “This is not a normal deal where everything’s done in 24 hours. We’re a long way from that.”

You have to take it with a pinch of salt, but it looks like he's going to Man City. Like Robinho he's probably confused, expect him to say Man Utd at the press conference. I don't see it as being a great move for Man City. Not until they've got the rest of their team sorted.

He should be there just in time to face Stoke, which he'll hate because it's fucking freezing at that Ikea stadium.

No team should turn down any offers from Man City. They're ridiculously overinflated. Nobody is worth 100 million, so they should take it while the offer is on the table. Bellamy & Parker aren't worth the money they've been offered, so West Ham should take it.

Apparently City are going to give Bellamy & Parker £100,000 a week to play for them, which is insane. They're not even worth half of that. Giving them that much money would apparently put them on the same level as Rooney, Lampard, Fabregas & Gerrard. It's insane, and it's going to change football. They're average players earning superstar salaries, and it's not going to work.

Apparently City are going to give Bellamy & Parker £100,000 a week to play for them, which is insane. They're not even worth half of that. Giving them that much money would apparently put them on the same level as Rooney, Lampard, Fabregas & Gerrard. It's insane, and it's going to change football. They're average players earning superstar salaries, and it's not going to work.

For the most part it won't change football. It's not like there are any other English teams that compete. Man City will buy him, yet he won't make the team complete. Andy Gray said it best two hours ago, they'd be better buying a new team for £150 million.

Bellamy & Parker aren't worth that. But that's not their or West Ham's problem. They take the money because it's more than they're worth.

Overall it'll probably be the worst thing to happen to man City. There will come a point when the owners get bored of investingin them, and if they're anything like Chelsea they'll probably be stuck with debts they won't be able to pay off.

AC Milan playmaker Kaka has turned down a lucrative move to Manchester City.

"Kaka is staying at Milan," said a club spokesman, after club nowner Silvio Berlusconi told Italian television the 26-year-old was staying.

City issued a statement saying they had ended talks believing it was unlikely a deal could be struck with Milan.

"A transfer must work commercially, financially, results on the field and within City's broader community," said executive chairman Garry Cook.

Earlier Milan fans had protested outside the club's headquarters over the possible sale of the Brazilian to Manchester City in a £100m transfer.

Fans also gathered outside Kaka's house and he responded by beating his hand three times on his heart while holding a Milan shirt.

"When I heard him say that he prefers to stay, that he doesn't feel like he has lost the opportunity to earn a higher salary and that he feels privileged to wear the shirt, he values the closeness and the friendships, the heat and affection that all the fans have shown him even in these last two days, I said 'hallelujah' and we hugged," Berlusconi told Italian television.

Source: BBC Sport

I'm glad he is staying at Milan as it shows that common sense has prevailed. I can't wait for Mark Hughes's reaction as City has been so sure that they were going to buy him. I think they should be more realistic with their transfer targets as I wouldn't have thought he would have gone from a title challenging and UEFA Cup contending team like AC Milan and joined a project in progress like City

i dunno id have liked to have seen Kaka in the Premiership, i'm a bit disappointed that its not gone through. im sure City will just turn there attentions elsewhere heard players like Villa and Aguero mentioned. its nice to see a bit of loyalty from Kaka although im sure if it was Real Madrid offering this he would be gone in an instant

Middlesbrough could be ready to let Mido join Wigan in exchange for Marlon King, skysports.com understands.

It is thought the two clubs are hoping to strike a loan deal, although they are both open to permanent moves.

Mido has long been unsettled on Teesside and his failure to win a regular starting place under Gareth Southgate has only added to his keenness to leave.

He has rejected speculation linking him with a move to Turkey and now long-term admirer Steve Bruce looks set to finally get his man.

Bruce would sanction the deal as he is able to send King in the opposite direction.

Quite surprised by this, Mido is a very good player. When he is fit, And at a good weight, He is a all round strker as well, Good in the air and on the floor. Why Southgate want King is betond me, I think he is a overrated piece of shit, He's a mardy cunt when things dont go his way, He is a virus to any team he joins.

Lukas Podolski has agreed to rejoin former club Cologne at the end of the season.

The Germany international is set for an emotional return to the side that put him on the path to stardom.

The 23-year-old spent three goal-laden years at the Rhein Energie Stadion before securing a big-money move to Bayern Munich in 2006.

Despite securing a Bundesliga title, a League Cup and a German Cup success during his time at Allianz Arena, he has grown increasingly frustrated by his lack of first-team action.

Bright displays at the 2006 World Cup and Euro 2008 helped to put him in the shop window, with Luca Toni and Mirsoslav Klose continuing to block his way at Bayern.

He has, however, now decided to return to Cologne for a fee reported to be in the region of 10million euros (£9m

I can understand why Lukas left Bayern, But I cant begin to fathom why he rejoined Colonge, There was offers from top team's from England, Spain, Italy, Even Holland, And he turned them all down to stay in Germany. He is a top class player, We've seen this via his international record, He's at around 1 goal every 2 games.

Aston Villa have completed the signing of Emile Heskey from Wigan Athletic for £3.5million.

The England international has put pen-to-paper on a three-and-a-half year deal at Villa Park after successfully negotiating personal terms and passing a medical.

Heskey wasted little time in committing to a Midlands move having previously worked under Villa boss Martin O'Neill during a successful spell together at Leicester earlier in his career.

Wigan had been keen to keep the powerful front-man at The JJB but given he was out of contract at the end of the season, they have decided to cash in now rather than lose him for nothing in the summer.

Such a great buy, Even for his age, Heskey is worth at least £5mil, He is a strong, Big, Player, That rarely let's the team down, Paired with Agbonlahor, He could get any were between 5 to 20 assits, As well as a good number of goals.

Hull City have completed the signing of Jimmy Bullard from Fulham for a club record fee of £5million.

The Tigers agreed a fee with Fulham for Bullard on Thursday and the player has now agreed personal terms and passed a medical.

Bullard has signed a four-and-a-half-year contract at the KC Stadium and he is likely to be paraded in front of his new fans before the FA Cup fourth-round clash against Millwall at the KC Stadium on Saturday.

Tigers boss Phil Brown was delighted to land the former Wigan star, feeling it signals their ambition to establish themselves in the Premier League.

"We're trying to improve a squad that has been competing in the Premier League and that just needed a bit of bolstering," Brown told the club's official website.

"I think this signing shows everybody just how serious Paul Duffen, Phil Brown and Hull City are with regards to this year's Premier League.

It show's how far Hull have come since Brown taking the rein's, Jimmy Bullard, Was the motor of the Fulham team, He creates chances, Passes the ball with suberb accuracy and pace, Scores a good amount of goals for a midfielder. He is a good player end of story. For this price, Bullard could be the signing of the window.

Newcastle have confirmed the signing of Peter Lovenkrands on a deal until the end of the season.

The flying winger arrives on a free transfer after being released by Schalke earlier this month.

Lovenkrands has impressed Magpies boss Joe Kinnear during a two-week trial at St James' Park and the club have moved to sign him on a permanent basis.

The former Rangers man could make his debut against Manchester City next week and Lovenkrands is delighted to have made the move to Tyneside.

"I'm delighted to sign a deal until the end of the season," Lovenkrands told the club's official website.

"I now just can't wait for my debut at Man City next week."

Peter is a decent signing, Worth a shot on a free transfer anyway, Was a great player for Rangers (scottish team), Then moved to Shalke 04, And never really settled in at Germany, So asked for a free transfer, So he could move back to the UK. A good left winger, Good enough for a team like Newcastle anyway, They need the numbers and quality at the minute.

Such a great buy, Even for his age, Heskey is worth at least £5mil, He is a strong, Big, Player, That rarely let's the team down, Paired with Agbonlahor, He could get any were between 5 to 20 assits, As well as a good number of goals.

I actually don't see the point in the move. A forward that assists isn't as good as a midfielder who assists.

It show's how far Hull have come since Brown taking the rein's, Jimmy Bullard, Was the motor of the Fulham team, He creates chances, Passes the ball with suberb accuracy and pace, Scores a good amount of goals for a midfielder. He is a good player end of story. For this price, Bullard could be the signing of the window.

I read that Bullard wanted to go to a larger club than Fulham. So I'm not sure why he opted to go to Hull. I guess they're bigger because they don't play in a shed. But Fulham have been in the Premiership for the past couple of years, this is Hull's first year. I think Hull are possibly the smallest club in the leagus, although by that I don't mean worst.

I figured he go to a bigger club but not a club that's too big for him. Like West Ham over a team like Spurs.

I actually don't see the point in the move. A forward that assists isn't as good as a midfielder who assists.

He scores a fair few as well, The reason he gets so many assists, Is because he knocks the ball down for people to run onto, Or have a shot on goal. And because he is great at holding the ball, Bringing others into play, Something that Carew isnt great at.

I read that Bullard wanted to go to a larger club than Fulham. So I'm not sure why he opted to go to Hull. I guess they're bigger because they don't play in a shed. But Fulham have been in the Premiership for the past couple of years, this is Hull's first year. I think Hull are possibly the smallest club in the leagus, although by that I don't mean worst.

I figured he go to a bigger club but not a club that's too big for him. Like West Ham over a team like Spurs.

I thought the same, It's a great piece of business for Hull, But a weird move for Bullard, He could easily play at Newcastle, West Ham, Pompy, A good mid table team, But he chooses a team that could very well suffer "Second season syndrome". This buy shows more of Hull's intention's though.

i lmao at the heskey transfer Heskeys never been good since he signed for liverpool. Hes a donkey, reminds me of Adi Akinbyi. But im all for been proved wrong and in Villas amazing up and coming squad he should be able to provide the experiance the team needs.

Bullard to Hull Shocked me, i figured he would have gone to West ham or Portsmouth (cos lets face it their in a right slump at the moment) it should steady hulls recent slump as well.

Theres only 2 reasons i can see for Bullard wanting to move.

Better wages, or

He figures Hull have a better chance of staying up, with they're good start and because they have signed a couple of good players already in the window.

I tend to think it's the first, because he would have been out of contract at the end of the season, and any team out of the top 4 would be intrested to sign him for free.

So far though apart from a few mini shocks like Bullard moving to Hull, this window is going how i expected it to. The top 4 signing v. few players and City offering ridicolous amounts for players who don't want to move, and then having to settle for medicore players at inflated prices.

Seriously how does Bellamy improve City's team?

He's basicaly the same player as Robinho with about 1/100th of the skill and quality.

Given is apparently going to Man City. I think their young keep has being doing well enough really. They'd be fine without him. It's more of a loss for Newcastle than anything. When I saw them face Liverpool he was the only reason they didn't get totally thrashed. A silly move all round, I'll see what odds i can get on Newcastle going down.

Given is apparently going to Man City. I think their young keep has being doing well enough really. They'd be fine without him. It's more of a loss for Newcastle than anything. When I saw them face Liverpool he was the only reason they didn't get totally thrashed. A silly move all round, I'll see what odds i can get on Newcastle going down.

Not a bad idea. I think Middlesbrough need to buy someone a bit better than Marlon King if they want to stay in the premier league also. As for Given, Spurs should buy him. He's probably the best keeper outsdie of the top 4, and has been consistent for 10+ years.

I think Harper wants to leave Newcastle as well though. I don't know why you'd buy him, he's shit, but if I was one of the teams at the bottom of the league, I'd probably buy him just to make Newcastle worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back