IWGP Vs TNA Tag titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfdemon

The Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla
Okay so this thread is about two things.At Bound For Glory in the TLC match (or whatever they called it) Team 3D had the choice to choose the IWGP or the TNA tag titles before being knocked down.Now first of all i knew this could happen and two different teams would walk out with titles but dosnt it seem a little stupid to put both titles right next to each other when they could both easily be grabbed at the same time? Okay now lets get to the more important thing.Since 3D chose the IWGP titles first does this mean that they hold more prestige than the TNA tag titles.I myself am a fan of Japan wrestling but i honestly think the Japan titles in TNA are a joke.So what do you all think of this?

I think that its an ok idea. I mean they are trying to expand the TNA universe to involve more world competitions. I would like nothing to see Abyss try his hands in a hardcore match over in japan. Team #D have been in japan wrestling for a long time and now TNA is trying to mix both names together to expand there horizons.

But they are a big name in Japan. Holding the IWGP title ensures that they get return trips to Japan which they love (as they are well paid!).

For them, the TNA titles does nothing to enhance their stature to the Japanese promoters and fans. When they travel to Japan the IWGP title carries a lot of weight.

In TNA, the IWGP title shows TNA fans that they are a team strong enough to compete for and win a prestigious international tag title, but as long as they pursue the TNA tag title I think the IWGP title helps elevate the TNA title.

DaGhost

Watching the match, it came across as though 3D were planning on taking both sets of tag team titles and just happened to grab the IWGP titles first. Given the situation at the time (Dvon on top of the ladder, Bubba at the base on the other side, with no opposition in sight), they could have easily walked away with both sets of straps if not for the unexpected interference of Rhino. The IWGP title also seemed to be a little closer to Dvon, and happened to be the one he got a hold of on his way down. In any case, I don't think it hurts the titles prestige at all. 3D wanted the TNA titles too and were pissed at Rhino on Impact tonight for costing them the belts.

As for whether or not it was stupid to put both belts right next to each other.....well yes and no. I guess the thinking on that would be that if you can get your hands on one set of titles, you can get both easily. But in a lot of ladder/ultimate X matches where the goal is to collect an object from above the ring, the winner often suceeds only barely, making it believable that you could only manage to grab one item before being taken out. Also, if the titles were on opposite sides of the ring, a wrestler going for one set of titles would be by default disregarding the other ones, which would have showed a blatant preference.

Since the '80s, the IWGP titles have ranked right up there with any of the major-league world titles. Insomuch as foreign/international tag titles go, they easily rank close to the top. I think it's great that TNA is allowing the belts to be defended in the U.S. It also makes it great to have a second set of titles to put into storylines. Plus, if TNA ever gets tired of them or they become obsolete, they can just send the champs back to Japan and forget all about them!

In terms of just overall prestige, there's no question that the IWGP Tag Team Championship is well above that of the TNA World Tag Team Championship, at least in my view. For those that aren't very familiar with Japanese wrestling and Japanese wrestling companies, which is probably a good sized majority of America's wrestling fans, they'd no doubt say the TNA tag titles.

For the most part, the IWGP titles in TNA have been pretty much a joke in my opinion. I don't have any real interest in them and having the British Invasion win the titles and sit on them for nearly four months certainly didn't kindle interest in them. I sort of feel the same about Scott Steiner and Booker T's reign as TNA tag champs. For the most part, they just sat on the titles.

Stories are out that New Japan Pro Wrestling isn't all that fond of what TNA's been doing with their titles. One reason why they agreed to this relationship is because of the Dudleyz. The Dudleyz are pretty over in Japan and New Japan wasn't happy when TNA had them drop the titles to the BI, a reign that New Japan didn't even recognize as official until a month into it. Supposedly, most of New Japan's audience still believed the Dudleyz have been the IWGP champs this whole time. TNA having the Dudleyz take the IWGP titles back, giving them a total of 23 world tag titles, is probably just to keep New Japan happy.

Personally, I'd rather TNA sent the IWGP titles back. Counting those titles, TNA currently has 7 different championships on their roster. That's the same as the WWE only TNA has about a third of their air time. Also, if TNA is mostly going to have the Dudleyz sit on the IWGP titles as the BI did and have the BI sit on the TNA tag titles as Booker and Steiner did, then the whole thing's just a waste of time in my opinion.

I'm confused how any of these teams were "sitting on" the titles. TNA has unquestionably the most active tag team roster in the U.S. (That's not saying much, but still...) Both British Invasion and the Dudleyz, as well as Booker T and Scott Steiner, have all been embroiled in a fairly active on-screen story for most of the time each held the titles. Or am I missing something?

I'm confused how any of these teams were "sitting on" the titles.

By having the titles and them being a non-issue in their matches. During the BI's run, for instance, I believe they only defended the titles twice and the second time was at BFG. Going for months on end in between title matches doesn't do much for me. Beer Money, Team 3D, British Invasion and Steiner/Booker have been in a number of matches against one another over the past few months, including two ppv four team tag matches in various gimmick settings with neither set of tag titles being on the line. I'm not saying that every tag match needs to be for a title, don't get me wrong there, but one reign every quarter of a year doesn't make a title look very important in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back