• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

IWC of the past

PrideWS

Smackdown's #1 announcer. INDEED
I started watching wresting in the Attitude Era, and I have been watching since, but I haven't been on the internet for very long. After some research, including looking at the archives of 411mania and RSPW, I got really interested in the role of the IWC during the Monday Night Wars, and I have found some names and sites from the IWC during the 1990s, but not as much info on those names and sites with regards to their reputations. Could someone fill me in on some history/reputations of the following people/websites and any major others that I didn't have?
People:
-Bob Ryder
-Rick Scaia
-CRZ
-Chris Hyatte
-Scott Keith
-Dave Scherer
-John Petrie
Sites:
-Scoops
-ScoopTHIS
-411wrestling
-Slobberknocker Central

I can only speak about Chris Hyatte: He was incredibly entertaining and it was always a pleasure for me to read his articles.He would do something called the Nitro Mop-up on the 411mania site and it was really hilarious and thaught provoking stuff. Hyatte was sort of the black sheep of the IWC and he would often criticize how most people like Ryder,Scherer and mostly scott keith would take themselves so seriously and how people would take their words as gospel.

Despite his repution as a black sheep among other collumnists, I can tell you that every major wrestling website wanted to get this guy for their website because he would generate guarenteed hits based on the popularity of his collumns.

Whatever people's oppinion might be about the guy, there's no denying his talent as a writer.Quite frankly I always thaught he deserved better and should just write novels and be more recognized on a bigger scale.

This predates the IWC a little bit, but in the 80's and early 90's. I remember the BBS network called the Fidonet had a wrestling forum on it. Scoops printouts would be posted on it and so on.

It was the first time ever that any jackass with a computer and a modem could write their wrestling opinions. And leaks happened all the time. For me, it exposed me to the independents and I probably never would've otherwise been exposed to them back then.

There were even some nut jobs from Canada with a Brooklyn Brawler fan club. Hoping that one day, they'd give him a run with the IC belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back