Is Zack Ryder The Mascot of the PG Era?

CM Steel

A REAL American
The babyface push of Zack Ryder has been a beautiful thing. With the poster child of the WWE John Cena endoursing him. Zack Ryder is in good shape right now in this company. Potenial future U.S. champion, heading into "the road to Wrestlemania (28)"! But with a loud charactor with loud colors, a cheesey catchphase, with no mean streak. Can Zack Ryder one day be looked at as the face of the WWE? Because he's look'in like the mascot of the company for it's PG era, the kids.

Like how Santino Marella is the comic-relief of the WWE-PG, Zack Ryder's solo career charactor as a heel was looked upon as a modern era Doink the Clown on the ECW brand. And got buried when he came over to RAW as a heel. But with the role change Zack Ryder's charactor with a few things added to his gimmick like the internet (championship), endoursements from fellow superstars, and his Long Island Iced Z stories on Youtube, which is now over.

In the attitude era, Stone Cold Steve Austin was the face of the company at the time. But Mick Foley's (Mankind) role at that time was the "human crash test dummy". Mankind was the second top babyface of the company at that time. So with Zack Ryder playing the Robin role to John Cena's Batman. Can Zack Ryder step out of Cena's shawdow and make it as the top babyface of the WWE one day as the Nightwing in his own right, if Ryder's push is done right?

Think of it like this.

You just said the most over guy in WWE was Stone Cold. Obviously. Next, Mick Foley. Understandable.

Nowadays, it is Cena...by a longshot. He's booed by 50% of fans, and still his cheering reaction is louder than anyone else who came in the modern era (2005 at least). Next should be CM Punk (the only interesting character left in WWE in my opinion).

Now, disregarding CM Punk, do you really even think if Zack Ryder (honestly, Zack Ryder) made his way to be a top babyface in WWE that this company should even move on? Zack Ryder's gimmick can last for maybe another few months, and his "broski" "whoo, hoo" and all the other cringe-worthy attempts he does to mock what the "average" teen has gotten old way too fast. Everything about his is terrible, and the reason I say this is because I just need to say this.

If Zack Ryder was the top babyface on RAW and one of the most over guys to watch, that would literally signal to me the end of WWE for anyone over the age of 12 should end. His "underdog push" is cool and all I guess if you're into underdog stories and not into the hard work stories no one mentions, but it's slightly and basically obnoxiously terrible and overdone.

i strongly do believe zack ryder is the wwes pg mascot, im a not a fan of zack ryder, i hate his matches and hate his current gimmick
The reason he is so over is because who else is their to cheer for? To be a popular babyface you need charisma, but wwe stars these days are too scripted and generic, we need larger than life personalitys back so wwe fans can cheer them.
Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Randy Savage, Austin, Undertaker, etc all had larger than life characters
today no one but zack ryder has a gimmick that can play to the crowd, orton is generic, cena is generic, punk is generic, bryan is generic, all the faces are generic and lack charisma, WWE is entertainment, so let it be entertainment, let Orton change gimmicks to be some crazy high flying lunatic face with hogans personality

.... no. He needs better theme music, a better finisher, a better catch phrase, to get better at wrestling and maybe a time machine to make him 25 again. I like the guy a lot, but the whole "jersey shore/boy band" thing is a fad. Times running out.

I would love love love to be able to say "yeah but Kurt Angle was a comedy gimmick, and he was up there in age, and his finisher wasn't that amazing, and his theme music was boarderline ******ed...." But Kurt Angle had the skills to back it up. First and foremost Ryder doesn't put on amazing matches. Cena can carry a match. I know most IWC guys think he sucks, but hes given us some above average matches over the years. Ryder isn't that great of a wrestler, good but not great. I honestly can't imagine an average wrestler being the face of the WWE.

(Ryder isn't Hogan... there, I beat you to it.)

Zack Ryder can definitely have a great match. He is no Daniel Bryan, but I'm positive he'll get there some day. He's already had some really good matches with Drew McIntyre, Primo and Dolph Ziggler. Hopefully, he silences the naysayers at TLC.

.... no. He needs better theme music, a better finisher, a better catch phrase, to get better at wrestling and maybe a time machine to make him 25 again. I like the guy a lot, but the whole "jersey shore/boy band" thing is a fad. Times running out.

I would love love love to be able to say "yeah but Kurt Angle was a comedy gimmick, and he was up there in age, and his finisher wasn't that amazing, and his theme music was boarderline ******ed...." But Kurt Angle had the skills to back it up. First and foremost Ryder doesn't put on amazing matches. Cena can carry a match. I know most IWC guys think he sucks, but hes given us some above average matches over the years. Ryder isn't that great of a wrestler, good but not great. I honestly can't imagine an average wrestler being the face of the WWE.

(Ryder isn't Hogan... there, I beat you to it.)

The guy is 26. There's still plenty of time.

Ryder will evolve down the line. I think in a few years, Ryder will be at the point where the Miz is now. He will improve in the ring. His character will remain the same but have the goofier aspects of his gimmick drastically toned down. He may keep the WWWYKI catchphrase and the Radio theme song while dropping the "Jersey Shore-ness" of his character and changing up his look.

Concerning Zack Ryder, I have to say that I actually respect the guy. Here is a man a year ago was curtain jerking for Superstars. He realized he had two options, get fired or get noticed. He decided not to just let the WWE pay him for nothing and made his own show and made it pretty entertaining and actually made the current angle he is in with Dolph Ziggler somewhat compelling television. The WWE did not make Zack Ryder the fans made Zack Ryder. If no one watched he would still be curtain jerking for superstars. So you know is he the macot for the PG Era, I think he may be the blueprint for what other wrestlers in his situation should be doing, self promote yourself. Make people notice you. So you know what congratulations Zack you earned it, which is more than I could say about a lot of wrestlers out there.

Glad to see Zach Ryder went from being the biggest name on the internet, to getting hourly hate topics on the forums.

No, he's not the PG mascot, he's not even that PG, the guy has a more mature gimmick than the audience, the kids that WWE targets with PG don't even know what Jersey Shore is about (I actually think I'd be moving to another planet if they did.)

Ryder will eventually break off from Cena's coatails, or Cena will use Ryder to go heel! (no, im not actually doing another Cena heel post.)

Zack Ryder is the mascot for internet success maybe? Without him putting all his effort outside of TV time into trying to get over, he would be a TNA roadie. He definitely is not Or what I really think he's the mascot for, is the reality era. The Miz being the face of the company if it turns that way, but Ryder's twitter story definitely is pushing the company in that direction (*Note I am not endorsing The Miz to be the face of the company)

Also, Attitude era's 2nd name was The Rock, who wasn't far from Austin, Foley was a tinystep down from those 2.

Concerning Zack Ryder, I have to say that I actually respect the guy. Here is a man a year ago was curtain jerking for Superstars. He realized he had two options, get fired or get noticed. He decided not to just let the WWE pay him for nothing and made his own show and made it pretty entertaining and actually made the current angle he is in with Dolph Ziggler somewhat compelling television. The WWE did not make Zack Ryder the fans made Zack Ryder. If no one watched he would still be curtain jerking for superstars. So you know is he the macot for the PG Era, I think he may be the blueprint for what other wrestlers in his situation should be doing, self promote yourself. Make people notice you. So you know what congratulations Zack you earned it, which is more than I could say about a lot of wrestlers out there.

Finally somebody giving the guy the credit he deserves.

I do not think Zack Ryder is anywhere close to being the mascot for the wwe pg era BUT I do believe he should be a guy who kids can look up to seeing as how he did finally get a push. I do agree with the fact that he is the blueprint for how wrestlers who are unhappy with their current situation should change it for themselves.

I read these forums almost everyday and this is one I had to comment on because it exemplifies everything wrong with these forums. This is another reason why 75% of the people on the IWC should just stop talking and stop watching. Zack Ryder is the first guy to take social media and have it work to his benefit. The success of his twitter and youtube series are a testament to his overall appeal.

John Cena would be classified as the mascot for this "PG era"; not Ryder. If Ryder was so PG, he wouldn't have got a pop louder than The Rock & CM Punk at MSG; which was predominantly an older crowd. To measure where this character was on ECW to now is simply astounding.

Whether people are mouthing off about WWE or even TNA, at the end of the day it's just wrestling. I can empathize and say yes, the product isn't what it once was; but to sit here and ridicule a guy like Zack Ryder who has busted his ass, in and out of the ring week after week is unmerited. People complain about the same old guys main eventing and hogging the spotlight; but when an actual underdog starts to make it, the same people piss and moan about that too.

The WWE being stale and TNA being awful aren't what's wrong with wrestling. The over-opinionated, delusional and shallow members of the IWC is what has ruined wrestling.

I read these forums almost everyday and this is one I had to comment on because it exemplifies everything wrong with these forums. This is another reason why 75% of the people on the IWC should just stop talking and stop watching. Zack Ryder is the first guy to take social media and have it work to his benefit. The success of his twitter and youtube series are a testament to his overall appeal.

People have the right to express their opinions no matter how stupid they might seem to you and I think that's what these forums are all about. People shouldn't stop talking and watching just because you don't agree with what they have to say

John Cena would be classified as the mascot for this "PG era"; not Ryder. If Ryder was so PG, he wouldn't have got a pop louder than The Rock & CM Punk at MSG; which was predominantly an older crowd. To measure where this character was on ECW to now is simply astounding.

I agree John Cena is the mascot for the PG era. I can't think of another wrestler on the roster that changed the name of both of their finishing moves to make them PG. They'll always be the "FU" and "STFU" to me. Measuring Ryder based on his ECW character is just asinine. Everything that came out of the new ECW was a failure(character wise). Ryder reinvented his character from ECW and did a damn good job doing so.

Whether people are mouthing off about WWE or even TNA, at the end of the day it's just wrestling. I can empathize and say yes, the product isn't what it once was; but to sit here and ridicule a guy like Zack Ryder who has busted his ass, in and out of the ring week after week is unmerited. People complain about the same old guys main eventing and hogging the spotlight; but when an actual underdog starts to make it, the same people piss and moan about that too.

People will always find something to complain about.

The WWE being stale and TNA being awful aren't what's wrong with wrestling. The over-opinionated, delusional and shallow members of the IWC is what has ruined wrestling.

Wrestling is not ruined. On one hand, WWE and TNA are both not what they used to be. On the other hand, the IWC is never happy and always has something to complain about. In Ryder's case though, the IWC has helped him get to where he is today. Without the IWC, Ryder may not be in the position he is in today. It was the IWC that followed Ryder on Twitter and watched all his Youtube videos. The WWE saw that popularity and gave him a chance to shine in the spotlight. So you can call the IWC every name in the book and you may be right about some of those names. But Ryder wouldn't be where he is today without the support of the IWC. Wrestling is not ruined, if it was ruined then both TNA and WWE would be off the air and bankrupt. Wrestling is changing with the times, some people like it and some don't. You can't hate on people for not believing what you believe

Yes AND No! Because Zack Ryder is now the mascot of the WWE-PG/INTERNET Community!

Some people are starting to question Zack Ryder because he is becoming WWE's new poster boy. Best Pals w/Cena. And Ill be the first to admit as a Fruity Pebble Hater, its starting to make me sick. But Zack Ryder will NEVER........EVER!!!! be Cena and for one reason only.....He was made on the internet!! He got his start, his chance, his first big noticing via the INTERNET!! I remember going to a live event and seeing three adult men all wearing ryder shirts and chanting his name when he was a heel. He was made by the voiceless!! and No matter how much any of us hate our own creation he will never turn into the WWE-PG symbol John Cena is!!!

Glad to see Zach Ryder went from being the biggest name on the internet, to getting hourly hate topics on the forums.

No, he's not the PG mascot, he's not even that PG, the guy has a more mature gimmick than the audience, the kids that WWE targets with PG don't even know what Jersey Shore is about (I actually think I'd be moving to another planet if they did.)
Who do you think WWE is targeting? If you don't think kids/teens know about Jersey Shore, then I don't know what to tell you. Ryder's gimmick is anything but "mature". If anything, Cena's is more mature with his reliance on obscure 90s references. I think Ryder's ok but I find his act has already worn thin (like the hair on top of his head, OH! Take care regrow your hair!) and I don't know how long he can really stay over unless we see some depth.

The babyface push of Zack Ryder has been a beautiful thing. With the poster child of the WWE John Cena endoursing him. Zack Ryder is in good shape right now in this company. Potenial future U.S. champion, heading into "the road to Wrestlemania (28)"! But with a loud charactor with loud colors, a cheesey catchphase, with no mean streak. Can Zack Ryder one day be looked at as the face of the WWE? Because he's look'in like the mascot of the company for it's PG era, the kids.

Like how Santino Marella is the comic-relief of the WWE-PG, Zack Ryder's solo career charactor as a heel was looked upon as a modern era Doink the Clown on the ECW brand. And got buried when he came over to RAW as a heel. But with the role change Zack Ryder's charactor with a few things added to his gimmick like the internet (championship), endoursements from fellow superstars, and his Long Island Iced Z stories on Youtube, which is now over.

In the attitude era, Stone Cold Steve Austin was the face of the company at the time. But Mick Foley's (Mankind) role at that time was the "human crash test dummy". Mankind was the second top babyface of the company at that time. So with Zack Ryder playing the Robin role to John Cena's Batman. Can Zack Ryder step out of Cena's shawdow and make it as the top babyface of the WWE one day as the Nightwing in his own right, if Ryder's push is done right?
He needs to get mean plain and simple! He needs the other side of the IWC who don't like his bull. Personally he is growing on me but as with the WWE they always shove people down our throats till we get sick of them! I like the colourful faces and the ones in the past also(Macho man, Ultimate warrior etc) He nees to get a bit larger and get more moves in the ring and start acting more of a man than a goof! Then, just maybe he might arise to something special!

For me the answer is, kind of. I think what you have to remember is that characters develop and change the longer they run on T.V. Look at the likes of Stone Cold, The Rock, Triple H, HBK, Cena and Punk (although to a lesser extent) they all came in with characters that were very different to the ones they used when they were main eventing, as stories develop and Vince looks at fan reaction they tweek and change characters to make them successful. Thats v much what needs to happen with Ryder, congrats to the guy, he's a good performer and clearly has a strong upside but like people have said on here, its a gimmick that once it starts to get old will get stale very quickly. Its at this point he will need to do something different, something interesting, if he manages that then I can see him being a solid upper-midcard performer.

Maybe when the Rock was a Heel, or HHH/DX.. But they were WAAAY more over as faces than Mankind. like.. 150% more over. nice comic reference though.

No. Ryder is NOT the "PG Mascot" that award goes to Hornswoggle. Has been for a long time now. Jesus people are quick to jump onto the new "It" guy. The kid just started getting on TV and people are wanting him gone. Well he must be doing SOMETHING right if he won over the Philly Fans, since they are known as some of the hardest fans in any sport (they boo their own teams). Like him or not, the kid has worked his ass off to get noticed. You can't judge someone off their first real gimmick (the edgehead thing doesn't count). Look at HHH. When he first hit the big time he was some snobby blueblood. was it a great character? hell no! it was ridiculous. Looking at him then, would you have guessed he'd go on to be one of the most decorated champions of all time? No. Same can be said for The Rock's first character, and Austin. Give Ryder time, he'll develop. As for the Cena thing.. I don't see it as much. There was just as much support from Punk in the last month or so in his promos. They just used Cena as the go between to get Ryder his match (which was coming anyway) to give a reason for Cena to not be at TLC. that's it, that's all.

I wouldnt say for the PG era i would say for this new generation in teens and kids. With all the texting and the facebook and the twitter and the current trending phrases like broski, or his crazy hair and his fist pumps and his web shows hes whats relevant to this generation and never before has a wrestler connected with his audience like Zack Ryder has

I'm not sure if you're trying to be condenscending or not.

If you mean he's a perfect charicature of the "bro" person of today. I have the "breakfast club" theory. Basically there should be "nerds" "jocks" "preps" etc, only in wrestling. Ryder fits that, he's a "bro". You go down greek row at any college and you will literally see a dozen Zack Ryders. Shit, one house on greek row here says "BRO" on top in christmas lights. People relate to Ryer because he's either like you or like someone you know. Unless you're a social outcast beating off in your mom's basement who hasn't seen the sun in 5 years.

Second, Ryder puts his whole character together. He walks, talks, and wrestles IN character. So basically you have a guy who pulls off his character amazingly well and it's a character that most normal people can relate to.

Is the the "mascot" of the modern era? I hope so. I hope more guys pull off their character as well and have characters that are relevant.

Agree with the above post. Zach Ryder is so over with the crowd because he is a great character who lives and breathes his gimmick all the time, and has a ton of charisma and enthusiasm. He's kind of a throwback to the great characters of the WWE's past, because the current roster is full of uncharismatic, unenthusiastic, boring, gimmick-less clones who I couldn't care less about.

I think that Zack will be the next John Cena. John Cena has been here for 10 years now. When I was growing up watching wrestling, everyone my age wanted to see "attitude", the rock, steve austin and the likes and unfortunatally now kids are being taught to be "politically correct" and to "not like violence or swearing" (which is hypocritical of the people teaching this, because when they were kids they loved these things), therefore they are going with these gimmicks of being "colorful and happy go lucky". So in my opinion, yes, Zack will be used as the next gimmick to pull in the little kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back