• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is WWE missing the exciting promos like they used to have?

TheMainEvent

Pre-Show Stalwart
Okay so the topic is a bit confusing.... what i am refering to are the type of promos from the attitude era and even before that. I been on youtube watching old wrestling highlights and got caught up watching a variety of promos. Things like the LOD and Demolition promos, where the guys were full of excitement and intensity regarding their feuds/matches... they yelled and screamed in their promos, expressed anger and attitude... it just seems like today we don't ever get that much emotion in promos. Take Raw for example...we get guys like Ted Dibiase being a bit of a bitch complaining about losing, and Nexus with their monotone no emotion dialogue.... I miss the ranges of emotion withn promos. Watch some old LOD promos, Austin promos, Triple H promos, etc. They showed emotion and made you care about a feud and upcoming match. I honestly can't remember a recent promo or exchange between two superstars that made me want to see them in a match. Maybe its just me but I thought of this and wanted to share it with people who might relate or at least care. What are your thoughts? Agree? Disagree? Inquire...

Then go watch TNA. Order Classic WWE on demand and watch re-runs of WCW WWF AWA and NWA 'cause WWE is past that and I'm glad. Yea it was cool, but who yells all the time for no reason? Yea someone gets beat up but that person beat you up last week, and they're not even in the same room as you so why yell? The WWE has really evolved from those types of promos, now things are alot more realistic and I'm glad.

My first post.... yay!

Its funny that you mention this is that because earlier today I was watching promos on youtube.

But I were watching very specific ones. Ones that included Triple H, Steve Austin, The Rock and Chris Jericho. I was watching these guys because they had the mic skills and were able to quickly react to a situation that is put in front of them, whether it would be a promo in the ring or a promo backstage.

If the WWE would allow the younger stars like Daniel Bryan, John Morrsion, Dolph Ziggler etc. to get 5 minutes of T.V time to hype a match later at a PPV and so on, they could develop enough mic skills so that they can entertain the fans that are watching and that they won't be bored to death when they hear a promo that made no sense.

That is pretty much all the WWE need to do to make their promos more exciting

how about kane's promo on smackdown? I know the segments of kane and edge are getting boring week after week but kane has put some emotion on his promos just like what you said like screaming or shouting with anger.

There is a HUGE lack of emotions in WWE's promos these days. It really bores the living hell out of me to listen to John Cena, Randy Orton or The Miz cut a promo. For heels, they are monotonic and no matter how pretty the words are arranged, there seems to be little to no interest at all. And faces just say the same thing over and over. "I'm the good guy. So I'm gonna win". It doesn't help the fact that storylines seem rushed. The simplistic mentality the wrestlers have these days makes the program seem like it lacks emotion and interest.

I would say that all the heels in WWE are cutting fine promos. Guys like Barrett and Miz have gotten where they have only due to their promo skills. As far as face promos go yes I do feel they have been a bit one dimensional though things have improved this year as Cena has been involved in probably the most emotional feud of his career. That has resulted in some good promos. Also Orton is not you typical babyface and I guess that is why there has been some variety as far as face promos go.

Overall I would say that the promos that wrestlers in WWE cut these days are solid rather than spectacular. The promos as far as this year goes have been a bit diverse if you compare them to say 2009, because of the diverse storylines that WWE has attempted to tell this year.

First post, yeah i was watching a real good one the other day on youtube back when booker and Goldust were a hell of a team. Now those were some real funny promos that are missing from WWE. For example they have goldust dressed up like darth vader and then at the end of the promo goldust leaves and we have booker do is catch frase mixed in with some star wars stuff.
i have the link here from youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NQH7w2eIYM

I would say the problem with promos in WWE at the moment is they are too scripted. If you watch Roddy Piper on old school raw, it was clear that his promo was his own words, rather than reading from a script. Yes, he may have been given bullet points that he had to fit in to it, referencing the ppv, the Orton-Barret match, history of the title etc, but it was left to him as to how he put those across and in what order. Compare that to most promos now and you can see the clear difference. And I know that Hot Rod is one of the best promo guys ever, but that is besides the point. You've only got to look at some videos on Youtube from the attitude era to see the difference. Even with people who aren't given much credit for there mic work, you could tell it was there own words, rather than a script. There's only a handful of people in WWE now that are given that freedom, and thats generally because they proved their abilities in previous years. Although, I do agree that over the last 6-12 months, the promos have become slightly more diverse again.

I've got little problem with the promos in the WWE. The heels usually give the best promos in the WWE and that's usually true in most other companies. It's true that you don't have a lot of promos in the WWE, or wrestling in general for that matter, in which guys are screaming at the top of their lungs and I have no problem with that whatsoever. Screaming during a promo just for the sake of screaming works about as well as swearing for the sake of it: it has little to no meaning. I'm not 12 years old so hearing a grown up cursing doesn't make me feel all giddy and naughty. Takes a little more than that.

I don't care if every single word of a promo is scripted or just made up as the guy goes along so long as it's able to deliver. Promos are supposed to promote the storylines and put the characters of the wrestlers out there on display. As long as the wrestlers are able to get me interested in who they are and what they're doing, then I'm just fine.

I don't miss the "classic" promos referred to in the original post, but one thing I do kind of miss was the 10 second vignette that was shown in the corner of the screen when the wrestler makes their way to the ring. The vignette was usually just a quick nutshell type promo, didn't last long, and was cheesy sure. They had a couple of those on the "raw goes old school" episode of raw.

I'm not saying they should be brought back whole-hog for every match, but I did think they sparked a little more interest in the actual match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back