• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Wrestlemania overhyped?

ulimate123

Prof Ulti at work as usual....
Every year WWE hypes up WM like its got a very big history and has some very historic matches and they make it out as if every year WM was very big, when in fact I'd say 75% of them have been average PPVs and nothing special. WM only has upped its game in the last few years, before that it wasn't very good at all. Heres my WM timeline:

WM1-6- These were good wrestlemania's and are certainly very good.

WM 7-12- WTF?! Most of these are so shit you simply cannot watch them.

WM 13-16- These aren't good but are decent at best. All WM could have been improved very much.

WM 17-preesent- Now these WM's have all been very good with the exception of 2/3 WM's. Holy crap WM 17 beats the shit out of every other WM out there.

Well, they hype it up because it makes the most money. It's the one show WWE knows that non-wrestling fans will pay to see, so they make sure to hype it up every year as the greatest entertainment/wrestling show that has ever taken place. Does it always live up to the hype? No, not to us die-hard wrestling fans (I must say though the last three Wrestlemanias have been superb), but I'm sure non-wrestling fans end up being entertained, because they have nothing to compare the product to. They watch Wrestlemania without expectation, unlike us on a wrestling board. All they want is for their favorites to win, and to be entertained by the spectacle WWE puts on. Match quality and all that stuff doesn't matter to them.

Wrestlemania is simply the biggest, most hyped show in WWE. That's the way it is supposed to be. It may not be the best show, but it is booked, and hyped as the biggest show. It is and always has been the super bowl of wrestling, and makes the most money out of any ppv in WWE. So to answer your question, no it is not overhyped in the slightest.

I will go ahead and say no, it's not overhyped, just look at some of the main events in WrestleMania history, classic bouts, classic confrontations and some of the biggest title matches in the history of wrestling.

Hulk Hogan -vs- Andre
Hulk Hogan -vs- Ultimate Warrior
Hulk Hogan -vs- Randy Savage
Bret -vs- Shawn
Shawn -vs- Austin
Rock -vs- Austin

And there has been so many more huge title fights, I personaly believe that WM deserves to be as hyped as it has been.

Nope, the big show, with the biggest matches in front of the biggest audience deserves all the hype it gets.

That's like saying the Superbowl, Oscars, World series, World Cup final and Olympics are over-rated. They're the pinnacles of their field and deserve to be hyped. Besides, it makes the money for WWE because of its tradition, so why not hype it

no it is not overhyped....WRESTLEMANIA is HUGE! Celebrities and all come out for it...non wrestling fans order the damn thing for a reason...and most importantly the biggest matches and moments happen at WRESTLEMANIA but yes i will agree some WRESTLEMANIA"S werent the best of the best but thats expected....here is my list of SOME amazing WRESTLEMANIA moments..

Hogan vs Andre WM3

subsequently Hogan Slams Andre WM3

Hogan Vs. Savage mega powers explode WM5

Hogan Vs. Warrior WM6

Hogan and USA Vs Sgt Slaughter Iraq WM 7 i believe

Warrior Vs. Savage Carreer ending match

Hogan Vs. The Rock icon vs icon

Austin Vs Rock 2-3 times main eventing the biggest spectacle in sports ent

Ric Flair Vs Micheals (flairs last match)

Razor Vs Micheals Ladder match

Big draw matches that i didnt really and wouldnt pay to watch but part of what makes mania mania....LT vs Bam Bam, Mayweather Vs. Big Show

Undertaker Vs. Kane (first time)

Bret vs austin i quit match

there are so many...point proven i hope!

The best Wrestlemanias are 1-7 (Hogan/Slaughter was good, had plenty of heat and the rest of the card was stacked), Wrestlemania 14-16 were decent and 17-20 (which had the most stacked, super cards I have ever seen featuring past and present) were spectacular while 21-23 were decent. 24 was great, almost up there with 17-20. I have a feeling this year's Wrestlemania will be on par with last year's.

Wrestlemanias 8-11 stank up the joint. I realize Hart and Yokozuna were main event level workers but they were never like superstars. Wrestlemania 12 will always be famous for being the only Wrestlemania to date to have an Iron Man title match, which also happened to be the first. It's famous in the same way that Bad Blood is known for the first Hell in a Cell. Wrestlemania 13 was piss poor, though not as bad as Wrestlemania 11 which takes the cake as the absolute worst. Wrestlemania 22 had a disappointing card but it's special to me because it's the only one I've ever attended in person, to date.

So is it overhyped? Considering we have had more good Wrestlemanias than bad, it should be hyped to the moon because the odds are in favor that it will be good. The worst ones are from a time when the WWE was struggling financially, had lost all its stars and were still trying to make new ones to replace the ones that left so it's understandable why they sucked.

im going to say no because this ppv is the one that every wrestling fan just has to see.it is the ppv that generates the most money from the other 13 or 12 or however many other ones they have now.

But now if the other Big 4 ppvs garnered just as many buyrates or pretty close then i would say it is overhyped.

but because they dont even come half way there ill stick to saying no.

It's wrestling's Super Bowl. Yeah there are bad Super Bowl's but it still is the one game you have too watch. This is equivalent to Mania. It is the biggest and best show of the year. The one you look most forward for. If its a disappointment, then you deal with it, and hope that next Mania does better. But like it said, the last couple of Mania's have been crazy great. The best addition's to Mania has been MITB and that they always bring a legend back.

No way, WrestleMania is the biggest thing in Wrestling. No other wrestling promotion's "Super Bowl" (TNA Bound For Glory) doesnt come even close. Yes, some have been terrible, but that goes for all sports as well. Some Super Bowls, World Series, NBA Finals, etc are terrible, but everyone still watches because it's the biggest thing for that sport. WrestleMania will always be hyped the way it is, and I personally think it should be that way.

Oh, and WM X-7 was easily the best WM ever, and I was there :) Cant wait to be at WMXXV in about a month!!!

no wrestlemania is not over hyped!! yea there have been some horrible manias 11 13 21 were horrible but so were most of the first 10 only 1bout 30 percent of them were good especially the main events which were all hogan i mean yokozuna had to give the belt to hogan who had barely gotten back for injury the whole powder in the eye incident was terrible to me 9 is as bad as 9 11 and 131 hogan vs bundy steel cage cat mania 2 was the worst match ive ever seeen in my life!!!! has anybody watched that lately, Hogan vs Andre Horrible besides the body slam, hogan vs macho man, vs warrior, and flair vs macho man the only decent main events from the first 10 wm 4 title mach was decent million dollar man vs macho man. but that was the secondary main event to hogan vs sid which was nauseating. wrestemania 12 was the first truly great main event in mania history. i actually think that 24, 23, 20, 17 are the best four manias!!! because from top to bottom they were all decent matches u usually get some bs matches at mania ie taker vs gonzalez, lt bigelow, butterbean bart gun, warrior vs hhh.... you get the picture. i think people give 21 to much credit Kurt vs HBK, MITB, taker vs Orton only decent matches, the main events were horrible, the whole eugine angd hogan thing wasnt that great, the pipeers pitt were a confrontation of two legends bu t it was sloppy, big show vs Akebono was absolutely terrible! all in all i didnt enjoy the ppv it was a 6 outta ten woulda been a four without Kurt vs HBK been the clinic that it was.all in all i count down 365 days to wrestlemania every year i love it more than christmas, thanksgiving, my birthday, my family, my religion and anything else that has ever existed!!! so Vince is doing something right because im absolutely insane when it comes to mania!!!!

no wrestlemania is not over hyped!! yea there have been some horrible manias 11 13 21 were horrible

Let me just start off with WTF are you talking about? WM21 horrible? Have you ever seen Wrestlemania? The match with Eddie and Rey was great, the first MITB match, the ABSOLUTE CLINIC that Angle/HBK put on (which is the greatest 1-on-1 match of the decade in my book), Taker/Orton wasn't even that bad, nor was Triple H/Batista... the only crap on the card was Cena/JBL, the Sumo thing, and the Women's match...which is still bad...but watchable. No 21 was not the best ever but I believe you're the only person in the world that would ever say it's "horrible."

Now then... I do agree that WM is not overhyped. There is so much time, work, and effort to put on the best show possible for us fans and though there are some tough Manias to top, I don't think we've seen the best yet. There's a ton of young talent in the WWE right now and things can only get better from there. You have a lot of guys that probably only have 1-3 Manias left in them. Guys like Finlay, JBL, Taker, Big Show, Mark Henry, HBK, Kane, and maybe some I'm forgetting will probably not be with the company in 5 years. And though they don't all headline Mania every year, it leaves room for guys coming up to shine. Guys like MVP, Swagger, Kennedy, Shelton Benjamin are all phenomenal in the ring and they will only be getting better. So as for "overhyped"... I don't believe it is at all. It's the biggest event of the year, it's the Super Bowl of the business and that's something you can't hype up enough.

I can understand why someone would think that Wrestlemania is overhyped, but WWE has no choice, but hype it up in order to make more money off the event. As we all know, Wrestlemania is WWE's biggest event of the year and they have to try to do everything in their power to try to sell as much as possible. Although, you could also say that WWE tries too hard to make every Wrestlemania as good as possible, when in reality, you'll realize that not every WM was that good. WWE will continue to hype up Wrestlemania for years to come, so that it could remain as their top event of the year, which is why it is nicknamed, ''The Grandest Stage of Them All''!

I agree. It's the Superbowl of wrestling. They need that event so that the year can culminate in one event. There are good and bad matches in every event, every night, but WM is home of some of the greatest moments in the history of all wrestling. Where would wrestling be without Hogan/Andre, Rock/Austin, or all the other moments? WM has deserved its hype.

Wrestlemania genrally has the biggest matches of the yr so no i don't think it's overhyped. As the day approaches i still get that fuzzy fealing more than any other PPV during the yr. and when it's all over i'm sad it's over.

What they need to do is make it 4hrs not the standard 2hrs 30mins.

Thats not to say that every wrestlemania was great, heck they haven't been great since Wrestelmania 17. My personal fav's were Wrestlemania 3,4. 13,14, 2000, 17,18

Have you ever seen Wrestlemania? The first WM was the only one ever to run under 2½ hours. Then there was the stretch from 92-99 where they were all between 2½-3 hrs. Ever since WM16, they have all been over 3 hrs. and starting with WM20 that was over 4½, every WM after that has been at the 4 hr. mark.

It's "over-hyped" because it's the biggest ppv of the year. It's wrestling's super bowl not to mention one of the most historic ppv's ever. Why wouldn't it be overhyped?

Sure, there are some Wrestlemania's that are better than others, but that's not the point. The point is that it's Wrestle-fucking-mania: the showcase of the immortals, the grandest stage of them all, etc. The event is built up WAY more on hype than actual match quality anyways.

What I'm talking about is not the hype but rather the match quality. Yes there are some awesome wrestling clinics but for me personally the hype never lives up to it. The matches nowadays, bar a few just leave me wanting more. (Not saying they're not awesome anyway!)

Wrestlemania genrally has the biggest matches of the yr so no i don't think it's overhyped. As the day approaches i still get that fuzzy fealing more than any other PPV during the yr. and when it's all over i'm sad it's over.

Thats not to say that every wrestlemania was great, heck they haven't been great since Wrestelmania 17. My personal fav's were Wrestlemania 3,4. 13,14, 2000, 17,18

wrestlemania 24 cis the greatest of alltime to this point! because they had the ritrement of the greatest professional wrestler of all time! it had the greatest upset pf all time, and itr had the Phenom in the main even twinning the title! it had a great MITB a great Opening match plus the best celebrity match of all time. while seventeen had Jericho vs regal as the opener, kane beating raven and the big show right to censer vs tazz and the apa, Eddie vs test? the last five real matches(excludind chynas and that battle royal) were all great though but the beginind half of that pay per view could of been better1 its defintely one of the greatest because Austin sold his soul!(the vonly way he could of beat the rock at that point!) tlc was great1 and taker vs Triple H was great! but i dont think its the best at all!

I think it is a bit over hyped nowadays as opposed to the olderones, because with teh advent of monthly pay per views, I think wrestlemania has lost some of his luster in recent years. I mean yeah in terms of pomp and celebration its still bar-none number one. No other wrestling event attracts that many fans and celebrities. But back in the day, before pay per views became a monthly thing, storylines ran longer and wrestlemania seemed like a culmination of months and months of buildup, rather than a few weeks as it has been lately. Remember how excited everyone was for Undertaker and Kane at wrestlemania XIV? I mean we're in march and we only have like 3 matches that have participants confirmed for sure. HBK/Taker, The Hardys squaring off, and Trips/Orton, and two of those three became "official" only on the last Raw, and Hardy thing hasnt been "official" on air yet. I may be missing a couple, but you guys all know what I mean. Thats not to say that wrestlemania isnt memorable...it always will be, because of its name and everyone tries that gets into the ring tries much harder on that night than anymother...but its just that there isnt as much emotion from the fans invested in the angle, unless its something like a Flair retirement match or something like that.

No, not overhyped. But to everyone that says 1-7 are the best, huh? I'm old enough to remember watching them in proper context, and let me tell you, Wrestlemania 1 was dull as a butter knife, and Wrestlemania 2 was perhaps even worse. Wrestlemania 3 was the first truly solid pay per view throughout the entire card. Wrestlemmania 4 is a favorite of mine, as I love tournaments, but I know it wears thin on others.

As far as the overhyping thing. It's not an over hyped event. Its, usually, the night where we see major stoylines that have developed for nearly a year finally come to an end, only to start once again the next night. Usually we see outrageous spots, crazy face/heel turns, and guys bringing their A game all throughout the night. All of the wrestlers knwo what the night is. It's the biggest show of the year with the most pairs of eyes watching it, and no one wants to screw up, and you can feel it throughout the entire night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back