• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Kofi Kingston a token champion?

CM Steel

A REAL American
Kofi Kingston has always been in the mid-card rankings as far as being a WWE superstar, as the IC or U.S. champion. And he also won the tag team title's with C.M. Punk at one point. But about a year and a half ago Kofi Kingston was involved in an intence fued with a heel Randy Orton on RAW in what was suppose to be Kofi's foot in the door as being a main event player in the WWE. But that's as far as his career went and shortly after that Kingston was drafted to Smackdown where he once again got lost in the shuffle in the mid-card division.

He won the IC title three times on SD. But never got the chance to go for the World Heavyweight belt, not even on Smackdown. Now a year later back on RAW, he's back in the RAW mid-card division. At the EXTREME RULES PPV he had his first match back as a RAW wrestler by defeating Sheamus for the U.S. championship. But due to the fact that Sheamus was now a Smackdown wrestler who couldn't bring the U.S. title with him to SD, it was somewhat practicly handed to Kingston as the front mid-card guy on RAW after the 2011 draft.

So by Kofi Kingston not getting a world title shot, does that make him a "token" champion in the WWE?

Yes, and I'll tell you why. He's not the right color. I've heard rumours from the boys at the shows, and seeing the gimmicks Vince has saddle wrestlers with (especially japanese wrestlers), the guy has a racial streak about him when it comes to the ring. If Kofi was white, he'd already have won the belt by now. He's not, so its career midcard for life for him.

And for those looking to use Booker T or The Rock to disprove me, let me cut that off right now.

Booker was already an established world title contender before he got the to the WWE. As for the Rock, he was over enough, marketable from a pop culture stand point, so Vince put the title around him. And now, I'm not counting Lashley in this arguement, because he won the ECW belt at a time it was really a phantom title.

Kofi is a career mid-carder because he has ZERO mic skills and zero interest. He's horrible. I fast forward every time he shows up on television.

Booker T and The Rock both could talk.

Regardless of what Internet fans might think or what they care about, the general wrestling fan wants a personality, period.

If Kofi was white, he'd already have won the belt by now.

White Kofi already exists in the form of Evan Bourne. They're pretty similar wrestlers but with different gimmicks and Kofi has slightly better mic skills. But Evan Bourne hasn't won a world title.

Kofi is indeed Mr. Mid Card. He was getting that push against Orton remember, but apparently Orton axed it. I remember him yelling "stupid" at him for one match against Kofi.

Regardless of what Internet fans might think or what they care about, the general wrestling fan wants a personality, period.

I agree with that. Plus why is R Truth getting a push right now then?

Kofi will never be a World Champion. Not beucase of the color of his skin, or Randy Orton, becuase he botches alot in his matches. It's very risky to have a World Champion who's all over the place and is in line to injure himself anytime.

Yes, Kofi is over, the fan's are behind him, it's just he's a botcher. I believe if he wasn't so all over the place in the ring, he would be a World Champion some time down the line, but I do believe the track record of him botching is leaving WWE no chioce but to not give him a top Championship.

Kofi is a career mid-carder because he has ZERO mic skills and zero interest. He's horrible. I fast forward every time he shows up on television.

Booker T and The Rock both could talk.

Could not agree with this statement more. Kofi is a mid carder because he simply does NOT impress in any way, shape or form.

I still remember, and it was not planned, when they finally let Kofi start talking. That one night with DX in the ring and Kofi started talking in his real voice instead of the fake Jamaican voice. Triple H's reaction was priceless.

To this day, I do believe Kofi totally f'd up and he's been held down since.

On top of that - 90% of his matches are nothing but botch-fests anyway. Anyone who has a flying, kicking finisher just isn't main event material and it's that simple. It's not exciting or believable. Plus, he misses by a foot and a half half the time anyway.

He's colorful, so the kids like him, that's why he get the mid card belts. Nothing to do with color of his skin whatsoever. I could compare him to Dolph Ziggler. Both have good looks but are lousy on the mic and have no finishing move.

....and they're both in the mid cards. Yes, Dolph had one shot, but did anyone in their right mind REALLY think he had a shot to beat Edge for a heavyweight championship? I don't think so.

Yes, and I'll tell you why. He's not the right color. I've heard rumours from the boys at the shows, and seeing the gimmicks Vince has saddle wrestlers with (especially japanese wrestlers), the guy has a racial streak about him when it comes to the ring. If Kofi was white, he'd already have won the belt by now. He's not, so its career midcard for life for him.

And for those looking to use Booker T or The Rock to disprove me, let me cut that off right now.

Booker was already an established world title contender before he got the to the WWE. As for the Rock, he was over enough, marketable from a pop culture stand point, so Vince put the title around him. And now, I'm not counting Lashley in this arguement, because he won the ECW belt at a time it was really a phantom title.

:wtf: You have no idea what you are talking about. Kofi's skin color has nothing to do with him not being a world champion. He is just not world champion material.

John Morrison is great and he is white, but he has never held a world title. He did hold the ECW title but I am not counting that. Evan Bourne has never won a world title. In fact, Evan Bourne has never held a single title in the WWE. Kingston is a multiple time IC and US champion and he is a former tag team champion. Kingston is very fortunate. Not every wrestler can say that they held the Intercontinental or United States championship. Plus, Kingston held the titles multiple times, and that is extremely impressive. Somebody loves Kingston my friend. He just isn't good enough to be world champion. He lacks personality, he botches, and he does not look like the face of a company.

Kofi is not the only man to not get that super push to the top. Many wrestlers have been in his league and even more never even made it to his league. Kofi should be thankful for what he has been given. Even Roddy Piper, Ted Dibiasi, Jake Roberts, and Mr. Perfect never held a world title. But believe me, Kofi's skin color has nothing to do with him not being a world champion. He just lacks the "it" factor or whatever. Besides, this is the pg era of the WWE where every one is treated "equal" or whatever. It would be bad business to hold a man back simply because of his skin color.

On top of that - 90% of his matches are nothing but botch-fests anyway. Anyone who has a flying, kicking finisher just isn't main event material and it's that simple. It's not exciting or believable. Plus, he misses by a foot and a half half the time anyway.

He's colorful, so the kids like him, that's why he get the mid card belts. Nothing to do with color of his skin whatsoever. I could compare him to Dolph Ziggler. Both have good looks but are lousy on the mic and have no finishing move.

....and they're both in the mid cards. Yes, Dolph had one shot, but did anyone in their right mind REALLY think he had a shot to beat Edge for a heavyweight championship? I don't think so.

Atleast Ziggler tries on the mic and improves like 1% every couple of months :lmao:.

On the the subject Kofi is one of the only guys in the WWE who's colorful and that reminds me of some colorful legends like Macho Man and Ultimate Warrior, but he does lack mic skills, and it looks like he's ok with it, he should really start working on his mic skills if he wants to get any far in the WWE.

About him botching alot yeah he does botch, but other than that he has a great moveset and he really knows how to work the crowd during the matches, right now Kofi is just keeping Mid Card belts for up and coming heels, it's sad but it's true, I guess we can call him a Jobber Champion huh? :shrug:

Kofi will never be a World Champion. Not beucase of the color of his skin, or Randy Orton, becuase he botches alot in his matches. It's very risky to have a World Champion who's all over the place and is in line to injure himself anytime.

Yes, Kofi is over, the fan's are behind him, it's just he's a botcher. I believe if he wasn't so all over the place in the ring, he would be a World Champion some time down the line, but I do believe the track record of him botching is leaving WWE no chioce but to not give him a top Championship.

If the WWE doesn't want a wrestler who botches spots all the time to hold the title, how the hell did Batista ever win the gold???

:wtf: You have no idea what you are talking about. Kofi's skin color has nothing to do with him not being a world champion. He is just not world champion material.

John Morrison is great and he is white, but he has never held a world title. He did hold the ECW title but I am not counting that. Evan Bourne has never won a world title. In fact, Evan Bourne has never held a single title in the WWE. Kingston is a multiple time IC and US champion and he is a former tag team champion. Kingston is very fortunate. Not every wrestler can say that they held the Intercontinental or United States championship. Plus, Kingston held the titles multiple times, and that is extremely impressive. Somebody loves Kingston my friend. He just isn't good enough to be world champion. He lacks personality, he botches, and he does not look like the face of a company.

Kofi is not the only man to not get that super push to the top. Many wrestlers have been in his league and even more never even made it to his league. Kofi should be thankful for what he has been given. Even Roddy Piper, Ted Dibiasi, Jake Roberts, and Mr. Perfect never held a world title. But believe me, Kofi's skin color has nothing to do with him not being a world champion. He just lacks the "it" factor or whatever. Besides, this is the pg era of the WWE where every one is treated "equal" or whatever. It would be bad business to hold a man back simply because of his skin color.

I want to correct a mistatement in your post. Curt Hennig was a world champion, in the AWA, just like Jerry "the King" lawler, Larry Zybysko, and others. Second, watch some of the gimmicks japanese and african american wrestlers have been given in the past, in many aspects, they are very stereotypical. Hell, forget the distant past, look how the WWE is booking Yoshi. Look how they booked Funaki. Based on Japanese stereotypes. Look what they did do Ron Simmons when he debuted. After the misguided greek mythical warrior gimmick, they simply made him the angry blackman before moving him to the form the Acolytles.

And if you doubt that Vince will hold a guy back based on his skin color, ask Butch Reed.

Could not agree with this statement more. Kofi is a mid carder because he simply does NOT impress in any way, shape or form.

I still remember, and it was not planned, when they finally let Kofi start talking. That one night with DX in the ring and Kofi started talking in his real voice instead of the fake Jamaican voice. Triple H's reaction was priceless.

Ok first off coming from a black fan thats been watching the sport religiously since the age of 2(1989) it does have to do with the color of his skin there has only been 4 Black World Champions in WWE/F,WCW,ECW, n TNA those 4 are in order Ron Simmons, The Rock, Tazz, and Booker T, and i dont really count Tazz or Rock because there mixed with another race and not 100% black, I dont count Bobby Lashley's or Ezekial Jackson ECW title reign either for the simple fact ECW was irrelevant by the time anyone won the belt in WWE(except RVD)...
Now to Kofi i believe you said a guy with a flying kick as a move cannot be main event material, well if im not mistaken a man and Hall of Famer named Shawn Michaels move was a kick and he won numerous World belts(4 to be exact).. I believe Kofi Kingston is World Championship material even if he botches i mean come on who doesn't Botch, John Cena Botches alot more than Kofi Kingston, and Randy Orton i wouldnt say is a solid perfect wrestler in the ring all the time either so the botching excuse is B.S.... But the reason i think he will be World champion barring he doesnt leave is because out of any black man in the WWE right now, Vince respects Kofi more than any of them, he not only has the Look but the ring skills to accomadate that... Mic skills have gotten better since he first started talking, and he cant get worse unless he gets a throat disease or something he can only get better... So in closing Before Kofi Kingston is done with the wrestling buisness "I Gurantee"" He will win atleast one World Championship whether it be in the E or the awful TNA... O and P.S. Yall that say Kofi is not entertaining are idiots and dont know what wrestling is all about at all....

I'd say yes , because hes pushed only just enough to be relevant but not at the top

May want to also add the statement that "The rock isn't REALLY black" as well

I think you're right about that , MVP was over as hell and was in midcard purgatory anyway just to further make this point..

I think if anyone can reach world title status in WWE as a black man it will be Ezekiel Jackson but only time will tell if they let that happen. I don't see why not though although hes been given like no mic time ever :shrug:

I'd say yes , because hes pushed only just enough to be relevant but not at the top

May want to also add the statement that "The rock isn't REALLY black" as well

I think you're right about that , MVP was over as hell and was in midcard purgatory anyway just to further make this point..

I think if anyone can reach world title status in WWE as a black man it will be Ezekiel Jackson but only time will tell if they let that happen. I don't see why not though although hes been given like no mic time ever :shrug:

Now this guy knows what he's talking about, i agree with the Ezekial Jackson statement because he has everything(minus mic work) Vince loves in his main guys he's basically the Black Batista but i hope you guys know the future of the WWE is going to be High flying, Middleweights, and probably a few Heavyweights and super heavyweights, think of it as the New Genration days when Bret Hart and HBK reuled its turnign into that now with Miz being the new face, with that being said Kofi Kingston WILL be in the World hunt when this time comes...

Ok first off coming from a black fan thats been watching the sport religiously since the age of 2(1989) it does have to do with the color of his skin there has only been 4 Black World Champions in WWE/F,WCW,ECW, n TNA those 4 are in order Ron Simmons, The Rock, Tazz, and Booker T, and i dont really count Tazz or Rock because there mixed with another race and not 100% black, I dont count Bobby Lashley's or Ezekial Jackson ECW title reign either for the simple fact ECW was irrelevant by the time anyone won the belt in WWE(except RVD)...
Now to Kofi i believe you said a guy with a flying kick as a move cannot be main event material, well if im not mistaken a man and Hall of Famer named Shawn Michaels move was a kick and he won numerous World belts(4 to be exact).. I believe Kofi Kingston is World Championship material even if he botches i mean come on who doesn't Botch, John Cena Botches alot more than Kofi Kingston, and Randy Orton i wouldnt say is a solid perfect wrestler in the ring all the time either so the botching excuse is B.S.... But the reason i think he will be World champion barring he doesnt leave is because out of any black man in the WWE right now, Vince respects Kofi more than any of them, he not only has the Look but the ring skills to accomadate that... Mic skills have gotten better since he first started talking, and he cant get worse unless he gets a throat disease or something he can only get better... So in closing Before Kofi Kingston is done with the wrestling buisness "I Gurantee"" He will win atleast one World Championship whether it be in the E or the awful TNA... O and P.S. Yall that say Kofi is not entertaining are idiots and dont know what wrestling is all about at all....

First of all, Shawn Michaels does not nor has he ever used a FLYING SPINNING FRONT KICK. He uses a believable side kick that actually looks like it hurts because he hits it everytime. Second - Shawn Michaels knew how to....what's it called....SPEAK.

And I don't even like Shawn Michaels.

I love when so called "black wrestling fans" start listing championships - then, just to make their arguments sound 'stronger,' they say, "Well this black guy, this black guy and this black guy won these world titles....but I'm not going to count them."

Ummm. why not? A title is a title. A hell of a lot more people know that Zeke and Lashley were ECW champs than they do that Hennig or Lawler was a champ. Christ - WWE pitted Lawler's match vs. the Miz as his FIRST TITLE shot. WWE doesn't even recognize those belts. And last I checked, they're all white.

Honestly, can you name ONE black wrestler who should have been world champ who wasn't?

Still waiting.....

No? I didn't think so.

The reason there are so few black champs is because the talent pool is largely white, asian or mexican. That's a fact. It's like hockey. It's just not a prominant sport for blacks compared to other races.

Kofi IS the John Cena of the WWE Midcard. He's the heart. backbone, and soul. No he is not a token champion. He is the Midcard. The live crowds on RAW (especially little kids) love the dude. You can't snatch him from the midcard because if you do, trust me it will collapse. Right now, I'm going to enjoy watching the return of one of the greatest feuds ever in Kofi/Ziggler.

His push to the main event failed, could be because it was against Orton, but its probably because he can't cut a promo to save his life, he botched moves during his bigger matches, and hes well boring as a box of rocks.

Kingston is the new Shelton Benjamin. Spot Monkey for LIFE!

I can name three Ernie Ladd the guy promo skills was top notch and could draw heat better than 70 percent of the roster today. let's see what about Ron simmions When he first started the nation he was gold on the mic and a great worker plus when ever you have the entire croud raising up there fist any time he made an entrance then you know the guy is over and last but not least Elijah Burke. He has a great look good in the ring and could talk on the mic and before anybody starts talking about the pope gimmick should watch his ovw and ecw promos and by the way the rock took his promo style from iceman king parsons and Ernie ladd. As far from kofi not having good mic skill nobody going to have good mic skills if you are only paying attention to the color because to me wade barrett sheamus and Randy headlock Orton are garbage when it comes to mic skills

Kofi's been wrestling for 5 years, he's still VERY VERY GREEN. If he was on tough enough, he'd be the second guy eliminated. Kofi can wrestle well but he's not tenured and in my opinion tenured stars should be pushed ie:
Evan Bourne, Bryan Danielson, CM Punk, Tyson Kidd, Yoshi Tatsu, Christian.

Yes, and I'll tell you why. He's not the right color. I've heard rumours from the boys at the shows, and seeing the gimmicks Vince has saddle wrestlers with (especially japanese wrestlers), the guy has a racial streak about him when it comes to the ring.

If McMahon is such a racist, I don't know why he would give Kofi a championship reign of any kind. In fact, why employ him at all if he doesn't like Kofi's skin color?

Others in this thread have said it best; Kofi just isn't world title worthy. He's a pretty good worker who gets some pops from the crowd and puts on some interesting matches......in other words, a solid mid-carder. There have been plenty of other Intercontinental champions who haven't yet fought for the world title: McIntyre, Santino, Regal, etc.

Kofi lacks the charisma and presence to be world champ. And, to be fair, he does have more than his fair share of botches. But, as I say, there's no shame in being a mid-carder and many of those guys never get to hold even a minor championship. The color of his skin makes no difference in this; it's Kofi's good (but not great) performance that keeps him from the big title.

Kofi IS the John Cena of the WWE Midcard. He's the heart. backbone, and soul. No he is not a token champion. He is the Midcard. The live crowds on RAW (especially little kids) love the dude. You can't snatch him from the midcard because if you do, trust me it will collapse. Right now, I'm going to enjoy watching the return of one of the greatest feuds ever in Kofi/Ziggler.
I kinda hear what you saying about KK being the mid-card John Cena. But if you really look at it. Kofi Kingston is a token champion in the WWE. He's a modern era Bobo Brazil! He'll be in the main event picture, just not win the world title, as simple as that.

Yes. Kofi is the token guy for the mid card. However, he isn't the first. I am too lazy to name off 30 years of history, but there has always been one guy that the IC/US title has been featured around if the WWE has anything to do with it. Razor Ramon, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, and now Kofi. Ziggles too, probably.

I don't see the problem tbh.

If the WWE doesn't want a wrestler who botches spots all the time to hold the title, how the hell did Batista ever win the gold???

I want to correct a mistatement in your post. Curt Hennig was a world champion, in the AWA, just like Jerry "the King" lawler, Larry Zybysko, and others. Second, watch some of the gimmicks japanese and african american wrestlers have been given in the past, in many aspects, they are very stereotypical. Hell, forget the distant past, look how the WWE is booking Yoshi. Look how they booked Funaki. Based on Japanese stereotypes. Look what they did do Ron Simmons when he debuted. After the misguided greek mythical warrior gimmick, they simply made him the angry blackman before moving him to the form the Acolytles.

And if you doubt that Vince will hold a guy back based on his skin color, ask Butch Reed.

Alright, I do like your points. About Mr. Perfect though, I was talking about the WWE, not the AWA. As for all of your other points such as racism, I doubt that I can argue with that. :worship: Oh, but for the record, did you see that really good promo that was made for Kofi Kingston tonight on Raw? Like I said, somebody likes him. Perhaps one day he will be a world champion, but I doubt it. I don't see Kofi as the face of the company.

Well yeah if you ignore the fact that he has had some of the most entertaining matches in WWE since he's arrived, and entertains the fuck out of everyone at the shows, especially kids

Yeah they're holding a guy down by putting him on TV each week, strapping gold around his waste and giving him wins, that makes perfect fucking sense:rolleyes:

On top of that - 90% of his matches are nothing but botch-fests anyway.

I must be missing 90% of his matches then, I've rarely seen him botch since he's come over to Raw, you sure you not thinking of Sin cara

Anyone who has a flying, kicking finisher just isn't main event material and it's that simple.

This may be one of the most flat out ******ed things I've ever read, you telling me that guys like HBK, & Mysterio are not ME material then, if memory serves me correctly both were high flyers, and both had kicks for finishers, and yes I consider the 619 a variation of kicking finisher

It's not exciting or believable. Plus, he misses by a foot and a half half the time anyway.

Here let me spin kick you in the face, and we'll see just how fast you get back up, seriously this "it isn't believable" bullshit is getting old and tiresome

He's colorful, so the kids like him, that's why he get the mid card belts.

Now you're getting it

Nothing to do with color of his skin whatsoever. I could compare him to Dolph Ziggler. Both have good looks but are lousy on the mic and have no finishing move.

Ziggy has great mic skills, anyone thinking otherwise are just flatout wrong, and likely have been spoiled by guys like Austin, Rock, & Jericho, and seriously need to stop expecting everyone to have mic skills on that absurd level
....and they're both in the mid cards.

Dude, how many people you want in the ME scene, frankly right now there just isn't room for them right now, & besides it's not like either has really bee around that long, it's very rare for guys to go from debut to consistent Main eventer in only a few years, wrestling fans these days are so fucking impatient, news flash Rock, Stone Cold, Jericho, HBK, Triple H, all these guy took years to go from midcard to main eventer

Yes, Dolph had one shot, but did anyone in their right mind REALLY think he had a shot to beat Edge for a heavyweight championship? I don't think so.

and in time he'll get another shot, it's a fuckign building process, every few years they'll test the waters with these guys & see if they're ready for that top spot, and if the fans will except them as a main eventer, if not they drop back to the mid-card, and keep working until they get another shot, and hopefully the they are ready almost more importantly the fans are ready to see them in that spot

I wouldn't go so far as to say Kofi is a career midcarder, because you never know what can happen. I thought Edge was gonna be a career mid/upper midcarder before his MiTB win. Christian would have been a career midcarder if it wasn't for Edge's unfortunate retirement, and hell, even R-Truth, who's pushing 40 in the era of WWE's youth movement, had a career rejuvenation, so Kofi is a case of never-say-never.

And yes, he is a token midcard champion, because frankly it is the safest thing for Creative to do. He's been booked too strong for him to fall into lower midcard status. Look back: He's beaten guys like Jericho, Kane, etc. He led a Survivor Series team against Orton (who, before that, had a history of winning as a sole survivor) and pinned him and CM Punk in a row. A case could be made using examples like Carlito (defeated Cena in a non title match; was 1 of the final two in an EC match with Cena and lost via rollup, but fell into jobber status and released), Swagger (former WHC who fell as far as becoming Cole's bitch, although it's kinda his fault for a lackluster job as champ) and Luger (no need to re-explain that one) as to how fast you can go from the top to the bottom in the WWE, but nah, I doubt they'll do it to Kofi unless he pulls a McIntyre and gets into some shit.

I firmly believe he would have been a World Champ by now if Orton hadn't gone and fucked it all up. But regardless, I think his time will come, just not now. He needs to have another major feud (preferably with someone less whiny than Orton) and stop screwing around with Dolph Ziggler, and then he'll hit success.

*sigh* kofi has become the midcard Cena. Okay, people I'm going to laydown the hard cold facts. Why is Kofi the US champion and is in the midcard? Because the live crowds and LITTLE KIDS love him and they love him where he is: the midcard. The only ones whining and complaining about Kingston and his moveset is the whiny IWC. You are all a small insignificant percentage and the majority meaning the main stream live audience loves Kingston and his performances. Just like the main stream live audience loves Cena and Orton.

Bottom line, Kingston gets big pops especially from the WWE's core audience: the children. And that's all that matters. Boo hoo and cry but that's the facts. If you think I'm wrong and that you make up the majority opinion, you are delusional.

Kingston is a crowd favorite, gets them going, and is the heart of the midcard. He is very much the Ultimate Warrior of our time only he's a sane individual. He's not a token champion, he's very hard worker and WWE knows that he helps make the midcard exciting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back