• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Jack Swagger WWE's Most Underrated Wrestler?

karanbest4

Dark Match Jobber
After the Royal Rumble, there is a sense of picking up the momentum going into WrestleMania. Stars are often made at that event.

Just look at the stock of Cody Rhodes, which seemed to officially skyrocket following his WrestleMania victory over Rey Mysterio last year. Who will be the next young superstar to officially be summoned to greatness? I have faith in The All-American American and current United States Champion, Jack Swagger.

It has now been three years since Swagger burst onto the scene with the ECW brand and won the brand's championship rather quickly. Swagger came to ECW from FCW, the developmental territory of WWE. At FCW, Swagger, then going by his real name of Jake Hager, was the first Florida Heavyweight Champion in the territory's history.

It was two years ago at this time that Swagger's entire career changed. At WrestleMania XXVI, Swagger won the Money in the Bank ladder match, the last one to be featured at a WrestleMania. He would cash in rather quickly, wasting little time to become World Heavyweight Champion. Swagger would lose the title at Fatal 4-Way and lose a rematch at Money in the Bank. In a matter of months, Swagger had gone from rising star to world champion to ex-world champion. Following the loss, Swagger was seemingly gone from the title picture.

It wouldn't be until aligning with Vickie Guerrero that Jack Swagger's career was revitalized. He was looped into the Michael Cole/Jerry Lawler feud during last year's WrestleMania, which was probably a test of his loyalty to the company. Swagger passed and was rewarded, while a guy like John Morrison failed and was sent packing.

Swagger now stands as United States Champion, benefiting from the lack of success following Internet sensation Zack Ryder winning the title after months of build up. Ryder's long-anticipated victory did not yield good results with ratings, so a change was made.

As the U.S. Champion, Swagger stands to make a big splash with the title that mirrors his gimmick. This title should have been put on Swagger years ago. It matches his personality and, as a heel, Swagger can use the accolade to preach about how American he is, generating major heat from the crowd. With or without Ryder as a challenger, Swagger could have a long reign with the title as he brings more prestige to the title. Dolph Ziggler, an ally of Swagger's, did a nice job in doing that. Swagger can continue that legacy and make the United States Championship a big deal.

No matter how Jack Swagger gets used in 2012, he will be used in a beneficial manner. Swagger has the size, speed, youth and now experience to get anything done. If Swagger can get over as an opponent to John Cena on RAW and then have matches with Jerry Lawler during house shows, it shows the range that Swagger has in the ring. His abilities are not even fully tapped at this point. Swagger turns 30 at the end of March.

He may not be adored by many or have a lot of fans on the message boards, but Jack Swagger is an unsung hero. If there is a spot where you need to get someone over, throw Swagger in as their opponent and they will deliver results. The only guy that I can recall having difficulty with getting over in matches with Jack Swagger was Alex Riley and, outside of Royal Rumble, you barely see him.

While Ziggler and Rhodes, among others, have gotten all of the attention as young rising stars, it is a stock like Swagger's that will be going through the roof. As these young guns rise up and get the praise that they deserve, Swagger will continue to build his career back up. It shows a lot of poise for a amateur wrestler in his 20s to break into pro wrestling, get built up, get torn down, and still want to get built back up again.

Swagger is the company guy that WWE wants right now. He isn't exactly kissing any rear ends, but his attitude about the business is good enough that it would have saved other superstars' careers if they had one similar to it. Billed at 6'7" and weighing 260 pounds, Swagger is still growing physically. By the end of his career, this guy could be one of the strongest superstars WWE has had in quite some time.

If WWE continues to gain more and more faith and reinvest back into Jack Swagger, there will be some success for all parties involved. His lisp might have seemed like a problem during his development, but it now sticks out as a unique quality from his character, separating him from everyone else. As Swagger's mic skills improve, fans will soon know that it is Swagger on the microphone just from hearing his voice. It is that iconic type of effect that every superstar dreams of in WWE.

All of the pieces are here for Jack Swagger to build and create a good place for him in WWE. The potential is still there and the sky is the limit for The All-American American. Remember how Swagger is right now when you view him in a year or two as one of the top superstars in WWE and the world of professional wrestling.

I've got no problem with Swagger's wrestling ability, but he needs a more mature physique. He needs to either put on some more muscle or grow in some facial hair.

I personally don't think Swagger is world champion material. I like him as an upper midcard like he is now. The reason why I don't think he is main event material is because he just doesn't have the personality or charisma like most main event stars do. This showed during his title run and is probably the reason why he hasn't been a world champion since. He has good wrestling skills but not as good as people make it out to be.

Smackdown has definately lacked talent when Swagger was champion and for him to not reclaim the championship on the lackluster Smackdown obviously means he wasn't fitted for champion. People expect Swagger to be so much (same with the Miz) but people just have to realise he isn't going to reach that potential and upper midcard is a perfect spot for him with a world championship shot every few years or so.

I've got no problem with Swagger's wrestling ability, but he needs a more mature physique. He needs to either put on some more muscle or grow in some facial hair.

I agree this is one of my biggest issues with him, as shallow as it may be. Must be his height or his long limbs working against him, because at 260 most guys would look like a beast, but Swagger just looks really strange and thin.

He's nothing special on the mic, and in the ring, I can't say he has really done anything to catch my attention. I certainly never make any special effort to pay attention to a Swagger match. He's not terrible either, just needs to add something different.

I don't think he's overrated or underrated, I think he's in a fitting spot just based on my personal opinion of him, they don't really give him anything special. Looking back it's kind of laughable that he ever had the belt, much more so than Sheamus or anyone else who got their hands on it really early, it's just hard to imagine that Swagger ever got that chance.

I will say his promo work improved when they really give him something to work with, however long ago it was when he'd bring out all his childhood trophies and awards to the ring, he managed to pull of some interesting stuff.

I think he needs some new moves to use and a change to his character, the All-American thing has just been done to death, and done much better by other people. Although I shouldn't complain, because if you put me on the spot and asked me to come up with something interesting for Swagger, I'd have no idea.

I don't see it. He has wrestling ability, he put's on entertaining matches, and plays every one of his roles to the best of his ability. The only problem is he's just not their. He dosn't have the mic skill to keep up. Do you really see CM Punk V.S Jack Swagger as the main event of a PPV? I don't. Cena/Swagger sounds good on paper but i don't see the same thing with any other main eventer.He has something( especially in the ring) but he needs more of it and he just doesn't have it........yet

I don't like Swagger in the ring. He's good, but he lacks flavor. He doesn't really tell stories with his matches, in my eyes. Even when he was brutalizing Zack Ryder for the US Championship, I didn't believe it. Maybe it really is his build, but I don't buy him as menacing.

I'd like to see him try and play a babyface, in the ring, or at least an underdog. He's got a good technique, but I don't think he uses it to set himself apart, and that's a shame because it's really all he has.

So because he's not jacked out of his mind you think that would help him? That's the stupidest thing I've read in some time. He's in awesome shape. Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. His wrestling is great, he's in great shape, the only thing he's not very good at is on the mic, but let's face it you either have that or you don't. It's all about showing a lot of expression and emotion and actually being believable. That is next to impossible to really do if you are poor at it.

I've always liked Swagger. I've thought for some time that his wrestling ability was incredibly underrated as we've seen him put on some great matches with all kinds of stars. He's one of those guys that seems to have great chemistry with everyone and can really respond to his opponents.

I think yes he is the most underrated, but hes only underrated because the thing he is lacking, mic skills, is kind of a determining factor of stardom in the WWE, you can't get anywhere without talking, prime example is Punk this last summer, since he showed off his mic skills what do ya know? He's at the top of the company, and we all know how great a wrestler he's always been.

So I believe he needs to improve his mic ability and his individuality as a superstar with the fans and his U.S. title run could be the perfect way to do that. I also believe he needs a more serious gimmick, even if its the same thing but less All-american american and more all business, im gonna get things done kinda guy.

Honestly it's just the guys mic skills. He's obviously not a bad wrestler and has that athleticism

his wrestling ability is there he just doesnt have the right gimmick or wardrobe or persona

id like to see swagger try morphing into a hulk hogan style character start growing a handlebar moustache legdropping dudes and talking about swaggermania

they need to make swagger dress more like superstar billy grahm and make him a face to get over to top draw money maker

maybe have him work on his promo skills

The problem is he just doesn't have good mic skills. The whole lisp thing makes it hard to take him seriously. It's just like Bobby Lashley.

How can you call jack swagger underrated? the guy looks like a nerd, walks like a nerd, talks like a nerd and acts like a nerd. the United States title is the biggest prize someone of his talent (or lack thereof) should accomplish in my opinion.

I think we're going to see Swagger get the same treatment as Ziggler. Having Vicki come out and introduce him, be his mouth piece, get him more heat due to association, while he works on his mic skills. (I hate hearing him talk on the mic, in my opinion he has no charisma at all)
Ziggler will probably be dropping Vicki soon if he's really being pushed into the main event picture, which will give all focus on Swagger from Vicki.
I'm not hating on Swagger's ability, all he needs is mic work, and as some people said bulk up a bit.. (maybe change his gutwrench powerbomb, because I'm personally not buying it as a finisher, especially after Ryder kicked out of what, 2 or 3 with an injured back? C'mon now..)

The problem is not with Swagger, it's with the fans... They seem determined not to buy him... On paper he is a strong wrestler with average charisma and a lisp. Most people never get past the lisp...

He is in the same position a guy like Rick Martel was in the 80's or Tatanka in the 90's... Good enough to near the top of the card, but not quite good enough to main event. That they tried a World title on him though shows there is SOMETHING there...

I actually think the best thing they could do is have him dump the All American stuff in favour of a more Tim Tebow gimmick.

Honestly, I don't think that Swagger is much more deserving than the US Title. With Daniel Bryan, the annoying heel type persona works for him. With Swagger, I just find it unbearable sometimes. maybe because I'm not a fan of his inring performances either.

I've always liked Swagger. I've thought for some time that his wrestling ability was incredibly underrated as we've seen him put on some great matches with all kinds of stars. He's one of those guys that seems to have great chemistry with everyone and can really respond to his opponents.

I think yes he is the most underrated, but hes only underrated because the thing he is lacking, mic skills, is kind of a determining factor of stardom in the WWE, you can't get anywhere without talking, prime example is Punk this last summer, since he showed off his mic skills what do ya know? He's at the top of the company, and we all know how great a wrestler he's always been.

So I believe he needs to improve his mic ability and his individuality as a superstar with the fans and his U.S. title run could be the perfect way to do that. I also believe he needs a more serious gimmick, even if its the same thing but less All-american american and more all business, im gonna get things done kinda guy.

Okay, yes and no.

Yes, because he is good in the ring, he's had excellent matches with Rey Mysterio, CM Punk, Christian amongst others. His story telling from week to week isn't always the most intriguing, but he can really pull out a great match when he needs to. His recent match with Punk on RAW was fantastic.

However, I'll disagree that he is one of the most underrated. Considering that his mic skills aren't the best and he's working off of his look and decent skill alone, he's doing just fine. They can't drop him because he's a former world champ and it would look stupid for them to send him back to superstars after giving him a world title run. I'd say for a guy that never really gets any sort of solid reaction that they're still giving him a pretty decent run at the moment, plus he'll likely be defending the US title at Mania' this year or in MITB. He works hard and he tries to be a good company figure. They dropped him to superstars after he won the world title, and even had him losing to Evan Bourne, even though Swagger himself had beaten the likes of Big Show and Orton, and once even took it to the Undertaker on RAW. Even after his drop to the low card he managed to pull through, and I think that he's paid his dues.

That being said, I just don't see him as a draw, and haven't ever since he lost the world title to Rey. I think creative lost sight of what made him so over in the first place, back when he was the smiley, cocky over the top brash superstar who had a big grin on his face on the way to the ring, kind of like Ziggler but more charming yet smug about his charm. The second that the ref handed him the title he put on this stupid angry face and tried to be more serious, which really didn't work because he's no good at playing the angry man persona. At home watching I was just thinking "Why does he look so angry? This isn't what got him over in the first place!" I think he was trying to use abit of Y2J's gimmick in his own, but they didn't need a second watered down suit wearing version of Y2J on SD.

I think the All-American American gimmick is fine, but after three years I think he needs a change up. He can't go back to his old easy going cocky persona, and the persona he has now isn't getting him any kind of significant reaction, so I think he should just drop the gimmick and find some new ground with a different persona - maybe take some time off to repackage? Usually I would say that taking time off is bad for a wrestler in his position who is regularly on television because they lose momentum, but at this point if Swagger went away, who would really miss him? Like ACTUALLY miss him? If after three years he's still not getting a reaction, even with the look and skills he brings, then he's clearly missing something.

I do think Jack Swagger is among the more underrated guys on the WWE roster. That being said, I don't see Swagger as a long term main eventer.

Swagger usually puts on pretty entertaining matches and has some legitimately great technical & amateur wrestling ability. He's also a guy with some size and is pretty athletic overall. You can't say that he doesn't have some charisma and is decent on the mic, but there's just something that simply isn't there when it comes to Swagger. At least in my opinion, that is. He strikes me as someone that can be a good presence in the mid-card and upper mid-card scene while making occassional moves into the main event picture, kind of like guys like Rey Mysterio & John Morrison.

At the same time, I can't help but wonder if my opinion wouldn't change if we saw WWE really putting some heavy emphasis on Swagger. When Swagger came to Raw from ECW a while back, people were excited when he came out and interrupted...I think it was either a Cena match, an Orton match or a Cena vs. Orton match. It was one of those scenarios. Anyway, Swagger had been a dominating presence on ECW but that enthusiasm faded when WWE basically made Swagger a high profile jobber. For all intents and purposes, that's the primary role he's played ever since. He came out of nowhere to literally win the MITB match at WM, then cashed it in only a few days later to win the WHC. Swagger did the best he could, but he was a victim of some bad booking. He gave some good promos in my view, but he was made to look so substantially inferior to opponents like Big Show & Rey Mysterio. He looked like a fluke champion and that's what it felt like when he lost the title. Swagger has some great intensity and can go inside the ring. If WWE got serious with him and booked him in a generally stronger manner, I think it's at least possible that a lot of minds would change about Swagger as far as a main eventer goes. Hell, look what a change in booking has done for Mark Henry. Virtually all of us had long since written him off as irrrelevant and a waste of space before a slight alteration in direction made him one of the best things going in wrestling.

I personally don't think Swagger is world champion material. I like him as an upper midcard like he is now.

I agree, and it's not as if there's anything wrong with being "only" a strong mid-card presence. He's on TV constantly, he's been involved in angles (Dolph Ziggler, Vickie, Michael Cole). He appears on both brands and gets to display his superior technical wrestling ability. What's so terrible?

Swagger was the beneficiary of one of WWE's attempts to elevate a young star quickly, rather than following their time-honored practice of making him pay his full dues first. Okay, his championship reign was less than inspiring and they took the title away from him pretty quickly, but it's not as if they sent him to the bottom of the ladder. He's been very active and I doubt he has much problem with the way his career has gone.

The thing is, everything about the guy smacks of "goofiness." His facial expressions, his lack of natural grace in his movements, and some of his actions in the ring (running circles before a match:disappointed:) make him look awkward and unbecoming. Frankly, it's a tribute to Jack that he can wrestle as well as he can; it's his saving grace.

No, I wouldn't call him an underrated wrestler; his technical skill is well-known and he has a solid place in the company. His problem is that he doesn't have the presence of an main event performer....and I don't know if he can ever get to that level again. But he's still an asset to WWE.

I just can't go Swagger at all. I can appreciate he's a talented wrestler but I'd be disappointed to see him as a champion.

Swagger's problem is that he isn't interesting thus not very underrated in my opinion.

There is not doubt about that he has great technical wrestling skills, as well as one of the best executors of in ring psychology in WWE today. Look at his matches with Christian, Cena, and the list goes on and on, he carried himself and held his own in each of those matches. However many people make comparisons between him and Kurt Angle, whilst both are technically skilled, Angle was at least interesting outside of the ring, Swagger is not.

I'm not saying that he doesn't have charisma or personality because of you look at his time with Vicky you would see he he has decent mic skills and shows quite a level of energy (obnoxiously screaming most of the time). There is honestly just something in him that doesn't captivate or move me like there is in Ziggler. To me Swagger uses the same cocky heel gimmick that has been redundant for many years. People say the same thing about Cena but like Ziggler and Rhodes Cena has made his long running gimmick interesting. Ziggler has taken the cocky heel up tier by calling himself a show off, as well as showing more passion in the character. Swagger comes off as more run-off the mill when he shows his persona, nothing stands out he says he is great and then there is no substance that distinguishes himself from the rest.

He has potential to be better, I am sure he will be with WWE for awhile so I can see him eventually improving some where down the road. For no someone with his talent and lack of a captivating character the United states title is a good position for him to be in.

Swagger's problem is that he isn't interesting thus not very underrated in my opinion.

There is not doubt about that he has great technical wrestling skills, as well as one of the best executors of in ring psychology in WWE today. Look at his matches with Christian, Cena, and the list goes on and on, he carried himself and held his own in each of those matches. However many people make comparisons between him and Kurt Angle, whilst both are technically skilled, Angle was at least interesting outside of the ring, Swagger is not.

I'm not saying that he doesn't have charisma or personality because of you look at his time with Vicky you would see he he has decent mic skills and shows quite a level of energy (obnoxiously screaming most of the time). There is honestly just something in him that doesn't captivate or move me like there is in Ziggler. To me Swagger uses the same cocky heel gimmick that has been redundant for many years. People say the same thing about Cena but like Ziggler and Rhodes Cena has made his long running gimmick interesting. Ziggler has taken the cocky heel up tier by calling himself a show off, as well as showing more passion in the character. Swagger comes off as more run-off the mill when he shows his persona, nothing stands out he says he is great and then there is no substance that distinguishes himself from the rest.

He has potential to be better, I am sure he will be with WWE for awhile so I can see him eventually improving some where down the road. For no someone with his talent and lack of a captivating character the United states title is a good position for him to be in.

Swagger can be very interesting and convincing as an main eventer when he is not in happy mood or jolly mood but when he's angry he just has that look to be the main-eventer

So because he's not jacked out of his mind you think that would help him? That's the stupidest thing I've read in some time. He's in awesome shape. Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. His wrestling is great, he's in great shape, the only thing he's not very good at is on the mic, but let's face it you either have that or you don't. It's all about showing a lot of expression and emotion and actually being believable. That is next to impossible to really do if you are poor at it.

It would certainly help him to look like a more credible threat to the audience and his opponents. I'm not saying he has to look like Brock Lesnar or Mason Ryan, but as someone already pointed out in this thread, a person with his height/weight generally looks a bit more built. I mean, look at the guy. He has a babyface on top of a slim wrestler body, and he's trying to be taken seriously as an aggressive person with his recent attack on Zack Ryder.

I could even say the same about Cody Rhodes (to a lesser extent.) He looks like a teenager wearing tightie whities all the time. Problem is that he doesn't have the build to pull that off. Fortunately, Rhodes' ability on the mic and ring are enough to overlook that.

I see Jack Swagger and I just think of that tall kid who loved basketball but wasn't all that good back in middle school. He ain't much in the ring either in my eyes. Anyone can slap an Ankle Lock and look like a technical marvel and anyone with long enough limbs and fit build can do a Vader Bomb. I've seen no reason to think Swagger would be good in the main event. Matter of fact, I've seen reason's not to have him close to a World title. That promo with his trophies, Big Show smashing them and him crying other over them is still horrendous in my book.

I actually think he's quite overrated. Everybody was popping a proverbial nut and hailing him as another Kurt Angle. Well here we are 4 years later and he has accomplished a forgettable run as ECW champion, a joke of a run as World Champion, and now he's riding the coattails of a much more talented performer in Dolph Ziggler. The guys good in the ring, but after that he falls flat. So no, I'd actually say that he is actually getting a pretty fair shake in the WWE right now and is actually overrated in the role he's in.

The guy has no personality at all and when people talk about boring monotone speakers he's the first one who comes to mind before I doze off just thinking about him. The guy is flat out boring, when he won the ECW title back in the day he wasn't as bad because his character was still fresh even though it was boring, now here he is today and the only thing that has changed is people care even less about him. I thought maybe when he had the World Heavyweight Championship around his waist that he'd grow up and actually mature as a wrestler but no luck, I'm still astounded that they gave him the United States Championship. He was a good college wrestler, he's still good in the ring now but not nearly as amazing as everyone claims he is and his character is stagnant, so no he isnt underrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back