Is it Time to End the Brand Extension?

Brand split was imposed because of the immense roster and talent. The WWE, in my opinion, doesn't have that right now. The actual and potential main event talent is nowhere near the level it was back then or even 2-3 years ago unfortunately. Smackdown! and RAW can still be different in that certain superstars tend to make appearances more so on one show than the other, but the brand split concept should be done with. You can even argue its the main reason why the ratings went down the toilet all those years ago

You can even argue its the main reason why the ratings went down the toilet all those years ago

I agree that it is likely a reason, but I think that the main reason was inevitability. WWE is basically in its own category. For example how many scripted, primetime American shows create new programming 52 weeks a year without repeats? As we know it is actually 104 new shows per year and at one point, with wwe's version of ECW (regardless of what people thought of it) it was even more than that. In the US at least there are of course soap operas that create more scripted shows per year than WWE but that isn't primetime and their ratings also declined over the years. All successful scripted shows (as opposed to something like a late night talk show, news show, etc) go off the air eventually either because ratings inevitably dip or they go off before they can dip (regardless if the reasons are financial or not).

WWE on the other hand keeps on going but sustaining interest with the same large number of people for too many years was probably never realistic, regardless of the split. Plus, when ratings were at their highest, everything seemed to be new for awhile but after awhile it got to a point where if something good happened, the next thing had to be even bigger because anything less would disappoint a lot of fans. For example, the first two hiac matches set a certain standard but each one after had to be better and better to some because even if people enjoyed them, they couldn't live up to the initial standards in the eyes of many. That can be applied to WWE as a whole.

If some things are perceived to not improve upon themself or sustain itself then a lot of people will grow tired of it and move on. People did move on, ratings dipped, but then remained stable, even with non stop new programming.

Haven't read through 5 pages of posts, but my response to the question in the title is absolutely.

As WWE looks to shift toward Entertainemnt, two things should happen, the main show - Raw, should be built more to entertain, and wrestling should not suffer. End the brand extension and allow Raw to be the show of storylines / entertainment and a match or two, and then let Smackdown be about "laying the smackdown" - wrestling. The roster is talented enough to put on two distinct types of programs, however now when divided like it currently is. Build guys like Cena and Orton and Miz on Raw as the main attractions, and build wrestlers on wrestling shows like Smackdown. As it is, everyone comes on Raw to be seen (last night Edge, smackdowns biggest star, retired on Raw because it is the must-see WWE program). Do not make both shows the same, provide different reasons to watch both. But definitely stop the Raw vs. Smackdown concept

Well Edge is Gone and all the talk of the cena moving and Orton moving has me thinking. Let brand extension DIE! People want Christian to win the strap nerd i do too but after he wins let the brands come together i mean we already have cross brand Champions.

What do you guys think?
Should Vince kill extension or not?
If not what would you guys like to see happen?

This is my First Thread plz spear a brother.

The brand split continues to allow young stars a chance to be on tv. If it was too end now, you would see a huge decrease of tv time for a lot of guys. the tv would be filled with Cena, Orton, Mysterio, Kane, Del Rio, Morrison, etc. The younger/lower card talent would get very little tv time, maybe only to job.

The brand extension allows the younger guys some much needed tv time. It would be hurtful to end it.

Well Edge is Gone and all the talk of the cena moving and Orton moving has me thinking. Let brand extension DIE! People want Christian to win the strap nerd i do too but after he wins let the brands come together i mean we already have cross brand Champions.

What do you guys think?
Should Vince kill extension or not?
If not what would you guys like to see happen?

This is my First Thread plz spear a brother.

Well although this thread will either get merged or deleted I think I will give you my take on this. If they were to allow all superstars on either show I think this will be a good thing. I think once a feud gets established then the feud becomes brand speicific but not the superstars. I would like the idea of people appearing on whatever brands however they need to make sure evryone gets matches so they must regulate who is on what brand for time being. I think this would be great for superstars exposure, and it would be good for the company.

Next time check if a thread is already made.

You cant get rid of the brand extension, both shows offer diverse matches, wrestlers and differnent themes. If it were one, there would be too many main event guys, and it would become very difficult to develop new stars. And i prefer to watch sd for the wrestling and raw for the entertainment it works out well

The main problem I see with almost every poster is stating that they don't have the roster that they had when they acquired WCW and ECW. The truth is that they do. They still have around 80-100 people on their total roster not including those that are in FCW and now Tough Enough. How many of these people become FE'd as soon as they end the brand separation? The problem is in creative and not making compelling stories or decent feuds. The best feud going into WM was Cole/Lawler because we were all drawn into wanting to kill Cole ourselves.

Why can't they use someone like Brodius Clay like Earthquake or King Kong Bundy and destroy someone like Cena. Thus removing Cena from the show for like 4 or 5 weeks stating that he is injured. Put up and address where the kids can send in get well cards just like they did with Hogan (use Cena's kids appeal for this), bring him back to get revenge and have Clay get the upper hand again and make it look like he is hurt again. Play this out for a while where Clay just beats him down every week until they have a match. Have the match play on the injuries and really make it look like their is no way Cena can win the match, but somehow in the end he wins with the injuries and all. You would not only establish Clay as a decent heel that can be dominate and can destroy people you also pushed him up a level. You have created someone now to wreak havoc on the roster when he wants to.

We need like what we saw from HHH when he couldn't keep UT down. We need the feeling of hopelessness from someone when they can't pin them and some down right hatred from others like Macho Man and Jake the Snake.

They can still keep the brand extension with all the belts just make them more valuable than being changed every three months or less. Make it seem like everyone wants that belt from them instead of a prop for someone to hold to try and get them over. Certain people do better chasing the title than actually holding the title others do better holding it instead of chasing it. Let them mix up the brands this year but balance out the rosters and allow those who have been around a while to help establish the younger guys along with bringing back good managers to help get the younger guys over.

If they make the WHC/IC titles on Smackdown really seem like a real belt that everyone wants it will make them more relevant again. The problem is they just aren't making them relevant except for the WWE championship belt.

If WWE get rid of the brand extension then there are so many things to consider. The current roster will want a payrise as they will be appearing on two weekly shows EVERY week. There are currently 55 males and 13 Divas. That doesn't include Awesome Kong, the NXT Rookies and a returning Chris Jericho.

With around 70 Superstars the roster is pretty loaded as far as quantity goes and this is far too much talent to have on 2 weekly shows. I envisage you would have to cut to around 35 Superstars and 10 Divas to give everyone 'air time'. So that is alot of sackings!

WWE Title, IC Title, Tag Titles, Divas Titles would be saved. I would also bring back the Light-Heaveyweight Title. That would give the smaller guys come exposure. With 2 shows each week, everyone should get some kind of appearence. I also think doing so could revamp the Tag Titles. It worked really well before 2002!

Sheamus/McIntyre, Rey/Cara, Kane/Show, Bryan/Bourne, Kozlov/Santino, R-Truth/Zeke, Masters/Dibiase, Goldust/Reks, Clay/Harris would be put together.

On the cuts...Mark Henry, Kofi Kingston, David Otunga, Heath Slater, Usos, Primo, JTG, Yoshi Tatsu, Zack Ryder would be some of the first names I got rid of.

I think the problem is most of you guys have gotten really spoiled with the brand split...sure certain guys may have gotten a world title because of the split but not necessarily. There should be 2 world titles as it is. When you look at the thin roster right now, there HAS to be a merging. Look at all of the possible main eventers currently:

The Miz
John Cena
Randy Orton
Alberto Del Rio
Christian

then you can shift guys like:
Sheamus
CM Punk
Big Show
Jack Swagger
Kane
Rey Mysterio

and thats the entire main event scene. like someone said, merge them, have RAW be entertainment based with SD about wrestling. And then you got guys trying to break the glass ceiling like:

R-Truth
John Morrison
Dolph Ziggler
Cody Rhodes

Yes, its time to end the brand extension because talent is so thin right now. Then we have to consider guys like Rey, Kane, Big Show wont be around forever to add depth to the upper card. The roster needs alot of help quite honestly. To be honest the divas division isnt that bad, especially with Kong coming in. People talk about how bad the tag team division is, the damn main event scene is near life support with Cena and Orton always winning titles, there is virtually no one else to make alot of money on. Miz is stepping up, but he has no competition besides Cena

Honestly, I think the Diva's/Women's and the World/WWE tag title mergers were simply because they didn't have enough in each division to warrant two different titles. That's how I've always honestly felt.

As for ending the brand extension... let me just point one thing out. All of these up and coming main eventers that you want to see become that main event marquee will become a footnote. The Miz will probably be ok, and maybe Del Rio, but people like Daniel Bryan, Sheamus, Cody Rhodes, Sin Cara, John Morrison, Dolph Ziggler, and such will completely disappear... don't even get me started on the people like Evan Bourne and Zack Ryder.

Right now, I think the brand extension is perfect and it's not hurting anything. If anything, it's doing what it should be doing... create new talent.

im in the middle, the roster seems it has gotten a bit thinner since last year, now its going to get even thinner with HHH, Rey, and Taker to retire sometime in the near future, but @ the same time as somebody posted you still have a high amount of up and comers that would most likely get lost in the shuffle..... unless WWE releases more talent during spring cleaning then they usually do then I dont see the end of the brand extension just yet

well I be damn, how did the WWE ever survive without having 2 brands in the past....I mean lets face it, Hulkamania was awesome, the Monday Night wars and the Attitude Era was awesome, but it was no comparison to the freaking brand extension lol...really guys, its not gonna be the end of the world if the brand splits stops. The titles will have much more meaning just like they used to. So many more possibilities with a flourishing midcard. An actual tag team division may be able to develop instead of the odd 2 tag teams per roster. The divas division could be unpredictable with the divas they have now and with Kong coming in. Its all about unpredictability. The brand split killed this from the get go. Not taking anything away from certain wrestlers and matches and moments but that is what is. The brand split is just a "cute" and quite lazy way to market their wrestlers easier to make it easier on their stupid creative writers..If they had better writers this entire thread would be pointless. Just think about it for one sec. This is your main event:

John Cena
Randy Orton

those are the only 2 legit main eventers, and maybe you could throw in The Miz after main eventing Mania so thats 3

there are only 3 legit main eventers in the entire company, then you have young main eventers who meed more cred like ADR, Sheamus and others.

The midcard would be endless which creates competition which helps create future main eventers. You think of someone like Edge who had to claw their way to a championship match and when he got there he stayed there. A tag division would could be built up MUCH better with more tag matches possibly happening on SD. Many of you say young guys wouldnt get a chance, well I would much rather have young guys wait if they need instead of getting a Ziggler like world title reign, or even a Swagger like reign. This phase they are in is so crucial, they need to pull out all the stops. You cant rely on young guys to take you to the next level when your established guys havent even gotten there yet themselves. I say the main event needs to be built around John Cena, Randy Orton, CM Punk, ADR, The Miz, and with time, Sheamus and Swagger should be included more often. Thats why everyone hates Cena so much because he was shoved down our throats. We dont need 10 Cenas running around, especially with young guys who havent established a niche yet

I really do think it's time to merge the Brands again and the two main belts. There is a huge lack in main event talent right now..Smackdown does not have any proven main event talent in the main event picture right now.

I have been saying this forever, yes it should end. If they end it then all the titles get unified(or at least they should) and there are not the same old feuds every PPV. Guys that are main eventing right now would be going after the us and intercontinetal belts it would be amazing!

To those who say what about the guys that are on the mid card and lower card right now, i say tough luck, either get better or go to TNA.

I don't think the Brand Extention should end. WWE Creative and Vinny Mac need to find a way to make the two shows unique. We all know that Raw is the flagship show, but maybe smackdown can feature tag teams competition more. Have legit divisions and make each one relevant. Make a contenders list for each title and have series of matches between wrestlers not because there is a beef or some type of storyline, but for the sheer competition of getting a shot at the title. Whether it's the WHC or the IC title. Having a lot of young talent on the roster is more of an obstacle than a problem. I remember when HHH and the Rock were in there mid 20s competing for titles and positioning in the company. The same should be going on now. If you end the brand extension, you end any growth of your company that you could possibly have.

I'm surprised my thread has so much discussion in it.

I don't think the Brand Extention should end. WWE Creative and Vinny Mac need to find a way to make the two shows unique. We all know that Raw is the flagship show, but maybe smackdown can feature tag teams competition more. Have legit divisions and make each one relevant. Make a contenders list for each title and have series of matches between wrestlers not because there is a beef or some type of storyline, but for the sheer competition of getting a shot at the title. Whether it's the WHC or the IC title. Having a lot of young talent on the roster is more of an obstacle than a problem. I remember when HHH and the Rock were in there mid 20s competing for titles and positioning in the company. The same should be going on now. If you end the brand extension, you end any growth of your company that you could possibly have.

The Rock and Triple H grew just fine without the brand extension. Ending it sure as hell would make feuds that actually sell fresher and force guys to prove themselves...instead of just keeping a lot of useless guys on the roster and throwing them in matches like they do now. Smackdown would especially benefit.

The Rock and Triple H grew just fine without the brand extension. Ending it sure as hell would make feuds that actually sell fresher and force guys to prove themselves...instead of just keeping a lot of useless guys on the roster and throwing them in matches like they do now. Smackdown would especially benefit.

Im not really disagreeing with you, because having one great show is always better than one good and one less than good show. What im saying is they should make the brand relevant. They should bring something to the table that you don't see on Raw, like I said before. That way you won't necessarily be throwing guys into matches. They will have a purpose to be there. The roster is talented, but it needs to be utilized better. In the end Smackdown! is gonna be around whether we think it should or shouldn't be. I say, if it's around, make it worth watching. Have the WHC defended like they used to do back in the day instead of waiting til the PPV. Raw did it once at the beginning of the year and it hasn't been done since.

I would end it and unify the titles. But, I can see why they have it with two brands. It makes TV and house shows a lost easier to produce

I'm seeing no logic, at all, on this thread. For whatever reason, most of you want the titles unified and the brand extension gone. There is an old saying that goes "Don't try to fix something that isn't broken." I understand everyone has their own ideal way of "fixing" the WWE, but in all honestly, what is wrong with it? Because you aren't happy with it doesn't mean it is broken. If it was smart to unify the titles or end the extension, wouldn't the 'E have done it by now, or is the whole company just dumb? I see a new thread every other day about either A) Unifying the titles, or B) Ending the brand extension.

It is a good idea to keep two separate brands. If you think I am wrong, please feel free to establish a full roster for one two-hour show and tell me about how you would go about setting up each show and PPV without either getting stale. Don't just say it's a good idea to end it, give LOGICAL, logical being the key word, answers.

If it took you 5 minutes or less to come up with the "answer" to fixing it all, 10/10 times you will be considered an idiot.

IT's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. GET OVER IT
and They will never unify the World Titles aslong as there is 2 brands

There's more to promote with 2 brands, more to be able to accomplish, more exposure for undercard, and 2 relatively seperate styles of programming and fanbases.

Now that's not saying that they don't fail at it most of the time times. And Raw copies Smackdown and vice versa.

They will be adding more PPV's again which means the brand specific PPV is likely coming back again.

No they need to go back to having seperate brand PPVs.Have Summerslam,Survivor Series,Royal Rumble,Elimination Chamber,Wrestlemania and Bragging Rights the only cross branded PPVs.Have 1 PPV every other month and that way each brand gets 3 PPVs each.Trade some people to SD and you got a more star filled roster and push guys on RAW.

These "end the brand split" threads come around every so often and they're never any more sensible than they were the last time. WWE has a tremendously large talent pool right now, of guys who could be considered upper midcarders or main eventers. Cena, Orton, Miz, Punk, Sheamus, Mysterio, Kane, Big Show, Christian, Wade Barrett, Alberto Del Rio, Jack Swagger, Dolph Ziggler, Drew McIntyre, Cody Rhodes, John Morrison, Kofi Kingston, R-Truth, Daniel Bryan, Evan Bourne, and Sin Cara are just some of the names that leap out at you. (Edge too until last week, which was obviously not a planned thing. Chris Jericho will be returning soon, once Dancing With the Stars ends.) Many of those guys probably don't get enough time to shine as it is. The main event scenes are just now becoming fresh and entertaining, allowing for more room for newer stars to be made. If WWE were to end the brand extension, everyone not named Cena, Orton, Mysterio, Miz, Punk, and maybe Del Rio would have an even lower place on the card. The main event scene would become even more stagnant, as it would be the same few guys every week on both shows, and the other guys would have their careers on life support. What they have now allows for a far greater variety, and the building of the next generation so that when the top guys now leave, there will be other guys who can carry the company for the next couple of years. Merging the brands would be counter productive to this cause and just isn't necessary in any way at this point in time.

No, the brands are already crammed enough with matches, promos, and backstage segments. Combining the brands would mke twice as bad. They would have to fire half of their talent or make the show longer at least. Then they would have to drop the WHC and either the US/Intercontinental title probably, if they have to cut superstars. They would probably drop the US title because the IC title has more prestige and history. It would be complete chaos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back