• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is it Time to End the Brand Extension?

The only benefit of ending the brand split would be giving more time for stories to develop.

That's the only decent reason to do it that I've heard. But even that fails in so many areas. There's too many talented guys that'll go nowhere if it becomes one show. Somebody already mentioned it, but all this would do is just give you twice as much Cena. Not saying it's bad or good. Just making a point. I'm more for bringing back an ECW style show just not with that name (because it'll never live up to what's expected when you use it). There were plenty of guys that I enjoyed on the Tuesday night ECW brand that have all but disappeared now.

As it is, some good talent isn't getting used, and titles aren't on display. Why would you wanna crowd it even more? Sure some SD guys show up on RAW, but not so much so that it's bothersome yet.

Keep the brands separated and give the mid/lower card guys a chance to shine and move up.

I like the brand extension. I think it enables to see a lot of superstars that would be future endeavored without it. You'd also eliminate an entire writing team because you obviously would want the same writers handling the same stories, not passing it over to the smackdown team when it's continued on smackdown.

Plus, a lot of people crossover anyways, look at Taker vs. HHH from Wrestlemania 27.

I would like to see another crossover championship though, one like the tag titles that would have to be defended on both shows. It would also be nice to have more interaction among the General Managers like signing people away from each other, trades and such all year long. Like if HHH really wanted to face Taker like he did, the anonymous GM should have traded him to Smackdown and then received a few smackdown stars in return.

The problem with the brand extension as of now is that WWE simply do not have enough top main even stars to carry 2 separate rosters. I honestly believe that it should be brought to an end in the next year or so, with the WWE and world titles and US/Intercontinental titles unified, either at Wrestlemania 2012 or 2013.

A unified brand would probably make it easier for WWE to establish a decent tag team division again. You would also have maybe 5-6 main eventers (Cena, Orton, Barrett, Sheamus, Miz, Del Rio) going for the WWE Championship. You would then have the slightly lower tier going for the now more prestigious Intercontinental championship and you'd have other wrestlers who are currently "aimless" forming new tag teams to bring back the entertainment of the tag team division.

I think that brand unification is one of the things that will really help WWE get back on its feet, unless at least another 4 superstars step up to the plate and elevate themselves to the next level (let's face it, that hasn't happened yet).

The brand extension is not going to end as long as there are two world titles, two midcard titles, and a roster large enough to have two shows. They would need to unify the world titles, as well as the US and IC titles, and future endeavour about half of the roster. Then, and only then, would it be time for the brand extension to end. Even though people jump between brands far more than they did compared to 5 or 6 years ago, ending the brand extension now would not make sense because there are still more than enough arguments in favor of having two brands, as opposed to the major argument against ending the brand extension now.... rushed unification storylines for the titles, and a bunch of guys instantly being out of a job.

IT's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. GET OVER IT
and They will never unify the World Titles aslong as there is 2 brands

There's more to promote with 2 brands, more to be able to accomplish, more exposure for undercard, and 2 relatively seperate styles of programming and fanbases.

Now that's not saying that they don't fail at it most of the time times. And Raw copies Smackdown and vice versa.

They will be adding more PPV's again which means the brand specific PPV is likely coming back again.

2 separate styles of fanbases? What the hell are you talking about? They are two different shows. People can call it "brands" but its not...they are two shows on two different nights of the week with the same matches over and over throughout the year. Stars will appear on the opposing show like it's nothing.

If they wanted to do it right...they would have turned Smackdown into Nitro after they bought out WCW. They would keep the superstars on their respective "brands" and then once a year they would have inter-promotional dream matches that would actually MEAN something. Whether people want to admit it or not...there was still a HUGE WCW fan base and they would have kept a large percentage of viewers if they would have done this.

There's no meaning to anything anymore. Too many titles and too much low card talent being brought up too fast and shoved into the spotlight when they're not ready.

They need to merge them in the next few years. A World title unification bout at Wrestlemania 30 at Madison Square Garden. They can turn Raw into a 2 and half hour or 3 hour show to allow more time for the younger talent to shine on the big stage. Then have their secondary show remain on Fridays (that's what Smackdown is right now anyway, their B-show). Back in the day they had Sunday Night Heat to showcase the up and coming talent and then a decent main event to top the show off.

There's so many things I would change it's not even funny. I guess that's the "old school" in me

The fact that they can't make the most of their roster, and releasing guys like Elijah Burke, Colt Cabana, or even established stars like Shelton Benjamin... Having only one show would destroy so many careers, as WWE didn't know what to do with THREE brands.

Because nobody gave a shit about the other shows. The only thing that matters on a weekly basis is Monday Night Raw. How can you build up young stars on shitty shows that nobody watches? Bring those guys over to Raw and put them in feuds people care about...and then it's up to the superstars themselves to sink or swim.

The problem with the brand extension as of now is that WWE simply do not have enough top main even stars to carry 2 separate rosters. I honestly believe that it should be brought to an end in the next year or so, with the WWE and world titles and US/Intercontinental titles unified, either at Wrestlemania 2012 or 2013.

Then again this is not 2005 where we had brand exclusive PPV's. Which means no matter if there is a brand split or not the PPV buy rates should remain the same. This also accomplishes a sense of control in which wrestler appears on which show and live event meaning someone will not get over exposed and the schedule is potentially lighter for the stars while maximizing the live attendance revenue.

I don't see why the lack of main event players is the problem. Sure Orton, Cena make up the "mega stars" while The Miz and Mysterio are there a top tier talent. However if you look at the current mid card and upper mid card roster it's stacked and it give an opportunity to someone to breakthrough. This scenario is similar to 1997 when The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, and Bret Hart were the only top players (with HBK and Hart being out of action for a noticeable period), but it was eventually able to give Austin, Foley, Kane and The Rock to break through late 1997 and onwards.

n an ideal world i would end the brand extension but its not up to me therefore i dont think it will i beleive wwe should have keep ecw and rejoined the brands - it would have given a better picture for titles etc i.e ecw champion and tag team champions would have been unique without thinking is the wwe champion better than the whc champion

:wtf: If the brand extension ends in WWE, TNA might as well open the gate wide open. Do you realise that the reason that the brand extension is there is because there were too many talents to showcase on either show? They tried with adding the ECW brand and it still failed to use all their talents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back